Zombie apocalypse: pharmacy must-grab items

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are SQ works less cumbersome? This suggestion is actually for your real world scenario in the parking lot. I am in way over my head on this topic but IMO it would be an above average addition to your armamentarium because of the lower risk of infection and the lower skill level required for site set up. :shrug:

Oh shoot, I didn't even think of SubQ rehydration in a pinch. We have Hylenex in the ED (recently added - definitely not on the current "parking lot pharmacy" plan/list), with the SF crush injury protocol, the rec. is IV rehydration of 2L but in a pinch SubQ can do the trick. I'm thinking of my peds population w/ difficulty obtaining IV access.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh shoot, I didn't even think of SubQ rehydration in a pinch. We have Hylenex in the ED (recently added - definitely not on the current "parking lot pharmacy" plan/list), with the SF crush injury protocol, the rec. is IV rehydration of 2L but in a pinch SubQ can do the trick. I'm thinking of my peds population w/ difficulty obtaining IV access.

Rate is prohibitive but like you said in a pinch.
Protocol brought to mind: multi-site option for feeding the pain meds and fluids i.e. arm is crushed then you can hook up both legs:eyebrow: one for fluids one for pain. Legs crushed you can do the abdomen and arms. Oh yeah and needless too (safety bonus).

One other thing that protocol brought to mind: severe pain - are you guys working with ketamine for pain? The drug is super tricky like methadone and would require practice exp and expert guidance. However, I witnessed breath taking results spearheaded by this mac daddy pharmacist I worked with briefly in a hospice subacute care setting (circa 2009). A guy with mouth and through cancer came in for pain out of control on whacked out doses of sufentanil. Next day on rounds he was happily chatting with us and his pain was at a 2. I was like :bow:. It is definitely not a set it and forget it drug though.

Just like a spit ball. Super fast and no one knows where it came from. :whistle:

Members don't see this ad :)
As an ER doc - I have a good idea of what I need.

1. Antibiotics:
- Doxy, Zpak, Cipro/Levaquin, Zosyn, and Vanco.
- Cipro eyedrops and Vigamox eyedrops
- Corticosporin otic

2. Pain meds:
- Norco, T3, Ibuprofen, Tylenol

3. Nausea meds:
- Zofran and phenergan

4. Allergy meds:
- Benadryl and epipen

5. GI meds:
- Pepcid

6. Asthma meds:
- Albuterol and prednisone

7. Misc:
- Heart stuff - toprol, aspirin, nitro
- Pressors - levophed, epinephrine, dopamine (if available)
- Suture, IVF, IVs 18/20/22ga
- Betadine
- Gloves
- Oxygen, nasal cannula, NRB
- Maybe even an intubation kit/bag/laryngoscope if available

I think that should be enough for me. I can pretty much outlast anything with that.

You guys have it all wrong. All I need is my suboxins (most retail people should understand how important those are).

I'm impressed with the replies, good job all. You guys keep guns in the pharmacy? Closest thing to a weapon I can finagle is a 60cc syringe with an 18G needle attached to it.

I agree with opioids for barter. Didn't even think of Lugol's or iodine.

What spurred this was the fact that I've been put in charge of reviewing our earthquake/disaster planning. Trying to figure out what would be most useful if we have to set up an emergency pharmacy in a parking lot.
I keep my Star PD .45ACP at my side, not for self defense against people, just the zombies.

As an ER doc - I have a good idea of what I need.

1. Antibiotics:
- Doxy, Zpak, Cipro/Levaquin, Zosyn, and Vanco.
- Cipro eyedrops and Vigamox eyedrops
- Corticosporin otic

2. Pain meds:
- Norco, T3, Ibuprofen, Tylenol

3. Nausea meds:
- Zofran and phenergan

4. Allergy meds:
- Benadryl and epipen

5. GI meds:
- Pepcid

6. Asthma meds:
- Albuterol and prednisone

7. Misc:
- Heart stuff - toprol, aspirin, nitro
- Pressors - levophed, epinephrine, dopamine (if available)
- Suture, IVF, IVs 18/20/22ga
- Betadine
- Gloves
- Oxygen, nasal cannula, NRB
- Maybe even an intubation kit/bag/laryngoscope if available

I think that should be enough for me. I can pretty much outlast anything with that.

Hey doc your forgetting the running involved. Can you do without the O2? :shrug:

If not consider declaring anarchy as you hotwire yourself an ambulance.:banana:

Hey doc your forgetting the running involved. Can you do without the O2? :shrug:

If not consider declaring anarchy as you hotwire yourself an ambulance.:banana:

You're*

I can't imagine giving a pressor without a way to monitor BP. Definitely need to get an appropriate cuff.

The pharmacist in me thinks a book on herbs/plants might be helpful in terms of long term survival -- I don't recall ever learning this stuff in modern Rx school.

I figure if I have to set up shop in a future colony, I might have to start gathering herbs and compounding stuff. I figure I can use some rocks as a mortar and pestle anyway.

Definitely gold prospecting equipment. I spent half a day on a tractor today digging dirt....I had to have unearthed a few oz of gold.