Zoom interview tips

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

voxveritatisetlucis

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if most people use or don’t use a background when interviewing virtually. Also how is it possible to make eye contact on zoom?

Members don't see this ad.

Make sure there are no controversial or offenses items in your backround. Like taxidermy, books written by controversial figures, etc.. You see what I mean. Keep the backround neutral.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ya but I meant like a green screen background or a non virtual book shelf (likely would just take all the books off to be sure)

My suggestions:
- Don't use a virtual background. They are quite distracting as the applicant can fade in and out from the background.
- A neutral background is best like @Angus Avagadro mentioned. If you don't have access to a neutral background, just make sure that your background is presentable. There should not be anything distracting like a pile of clothes, unmade bedsheets, or anything else that suggests you are less-than-prepared for your interview. I had interviewees interview from their dining room and I had no issues with that.
- For eye contact, I think it's perfectly fine to look at your interviewer on your screen rather than directly into your webcam. As long as your webcam is not placed at a strange/extreme angle, doing this would not appear out-of-place in this era of virtual conferencing. From what I can tell, this is what almost all applicants did this past cycle. Looking straight into your webcam would actually suggest that you're not looking at the interviewer!
- Regardless of what you choose to do, just be consistent throughout the interview. We caught a few interviewees reading notes and answers off their screen as their 'eye contact' inexplicably started shifting during their answers. These applicants did not fare well during deliberations. Treat these interviews like you would in person. Just my thoughts.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 15 users
I was just wondering if most people use or don’t use a background when interviewing virtually. Also how is it possible to make eye contact on zoom?
Most of the people I've interviewed use a neutral background in their house, like a wall or closet doors. I don't like the virtual backgrounds all that much as people's heads keep coming in and out of the background.

Reactions: 4 users
I might try booking a room at the local university library

Reactions: 1 users
What’s everyone’s thoughts on headsets for virtual interviews? I don’t have a laptop, my camera doesn’t have a built in microphone, and my monitors don’t have speakers so I’ve only ever used a headset. I think it’s non-offensive, it’s just a minimalist black and white colored one so there aren’t whacky RGB lights flashing everywhere or anything. The thought hadn’t crossed my mind that it might be weird, but after reading something above I’m starting to think about it a little more.

I’ve been doing a few first round/screener interviews at work. Somebody in a recent had a headset on and I was somewhat confused at first but it didn’t affect my impression of the applicant. Recommended him onto the next round with a higher up

• Love
What’s everyone’s thoughts on headsets for virtual interviews? I don’t have a laptop, my camera doesn’t have a built in microphone, and my monitors don’t have speakers so I’ve only ever used a headset. I think it’s non-offensive, it’s just a minimalist black and white colored one so there aren’t whacky RGB lights flashing everywhere or anything. The thought hadn’t crossed my mind that it might be weird, but after reading something above I’m starting to think about it a little more.
No problem! We understand that some folks have technical limitations.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
On the headset note, will airpods scream "privilege"? I'm an older nontrad so I bought them myself to use for work calls, but don't want to look like I'm super bougie

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely look into the camera while speaking if you truly want to give the interviewer the perception of eye contact. It gives the most true eye angle to the viewer. The one downside is that you don't get to read their expression while you are speaking, it would be fine to glance at the screen intermittently.

Last edited:
Would you guys recommend looking at the screen while they are taking to you and looking into the camera while you are speaking to them?

Is a navy blue suit with yellow shirt okay? Or should I wear a black suit and white shirt?

Is a navy blue suit with yellow shirt okay? Or should I wear a black suit and white shirt?
Black suit and white shirt is definitely a whole lot safer. I don’t think I’ve personally ever seen anybody in a navy suit/yellow shirt combo in any context.

Reactions: 2 users
For men, black suits have typically been for funerals or staff (doormen, drivers, etc.). Go with a navy or charcoal suit. Since your app already has a flashy red flag, I’d choose a boring white shirt.

Last edited by a moderator:
So will a dress shirt and tie not be good enough for an interview? I really don't have the money to shell out a few hundred dollars on a suit at the moment.

So will a dress shirt and tie not be good enough for an interview? I really don't have the money to shell out a few hundred dollars on a suit at the moment.
Yes. That is business casual, not professional. You need to find the money to buy yourself a professional interview uniform (suit -- matching pants and jacket). You are literally saving thousands by not having to travel for interviews. This cycle, no one will understand an applicant not owning at least one suit.

There were a significant amount of people wearing what you would call "business casual" at a Pritzker interview I attended @KnightDoc . Maybe 2:1 ratio of suits to business casual. I was not one of the business casual. Not safe to assume that everyone can shell out a few hundred for a suit though especially given it's remote, lots of people still recouping from covid financials.

• Wow
There were a significant amount of people wearing what you would call "business casual" at a Pritzker interview I attended @KnightDoc . Maybe 2:1 ratio of suits to business casual. I was not one of the business casual. Not safe to assume that everyone can shell out a few hundred for a suit though especially given it's remote, lots of people still recouping from covid financials.
Wow! That goes against everything I have been told. COVID or no COVID, what would people have done if they were required to travel for interviews, which was required, everywhere, before last year?

Applying to med school costs money, even with FAP. Maybe everyone at Pritzker will be understanding. Maybe not.

I'd never take that chance over a few hundred dollars. Impressions matter, even superficial ones like going to the expense and effort of looking the part during an interview. Being remote means everyone has less reason not to wear a suit, due to the money everyone saved on travel.

If just one person at just one school dings you for not thinking med school interviews were important enough to forgo something else in your life to buy the damn suit, that could cost you a potential life changing opportunity. I'd find a way to buy the suit. YMMV.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Wow! That goes against everything I have been told. COVID or no COVID, what would people have done if they were required to travel for interviews, which was required, everywhere, before last year?

Applying to med school costs money, even with FAP. Maybe everyone at Pritzker will be understanding. Maybe not.

I'd never take that chance over a few hundred dollars. Impressions matter, even superficial ones like going to the expense and effort of looking the part during an interview. Being remote means everyone has less reason not to wear a suit, due to the money everyone saved on travel. A few hundred is a lot of many, a lot...

If just one person at just one school dings you for not thinking med school interviews were important enough to forgo something else in your life to buy the damn suit, that could cost you a potential life changing opportunity. I'd find a way to buy the suit. YMMV.
I mean I'm not one to judge. I know many peers who saved up just to apply to med school throughout covid while also struggling to pay rent and put food on the table. If it wasn't remote they wouldn't have been able to afford it. I also have many who postponed applications due to the strain, both financially and mentally, of covid.

As for Pritzker I thoroughly enjoyed the interview and interview day/student stuff though I felt it was very laid back and not what I was expecting. For one interviewer asked me why I wanted to be a doctor and we spent the rest of the time informally chatting about a single EC (one of my MMs) on my application which was not really related to medicine and the interviewer in question was more interested in the financials and logistics haha. Then he asked me what my weekend plans were and we were off. Hopefully they're all like this but I doubt it.

I mean I'm not one to judge. I know many peers who saved up just to apply to med school throughout covid while also struggling to pay rent and put food on the table. If it wasn't remote they wouldn't have been able to afford it. I also have many who postponed applications due to the strain, both financially and mentally, of covid.

As for Pritzker I thoroughly enjoyed the interview and interview day/student stuff though I felt it was very laid back and not what I was expecting. For one interviewer asked me why I wanted to be a doctor and we spent the rest of the time informally chatting about a single EC (one of my MMs) on my application which was not really related to medicine and the interviewer in question was more interested in the financials and logistics haha. Then he asked me what my weekend plans were and we were off. Hopefully they're all like this but I doubt it.
I'm certainly not judging either. I think judging books by their cover is a very boomer thing.

That said, this is a tips thread, and here's a hot tip - plenty of judging of us will be done between application and acceptance, both by boomers and by others, who think appearances matter. Some of those sitting in judgment might very well believe, rightly or wrongly, that there is no excuse in a world of virtual interviews for anyone who wants to be accepted to medical school to not be able to pull together enough money to buy a moderately priced suit.

Just like people would have pushed a cycle back if it wasn't remote, and others pushed back for a variety of COVID-related reasons, I'd push it back if I couldn't afford a suit. There are certain things that are expected of med school applicants. Owning at least one business suit is one of them. I'd never risk having all my hard work flushed down the toilet over a few hundred dollars.

Thrift store suit jacket or borrow a friend or brother's suit jacket who is close to your size. In a virtual interview you won't need the matching pants!

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
Thrift store suit jacket or borrow a friend or brother's suit jacket who is close to your size. In a virtual interview you won't need the matching pants!
Is the thing described in the link below guaranteed never a possibility?

Personally, I would not fault you for wearing a shirt and tie, but other interviewers may differ. Can you check Goodwill or Salvation Army or a charity thrift store for a suit? Or borrow a jacket (since Zoom interviews usually only show head and shoulders, I wouldn’t worry too much about the pants)
I think most of the applicants I have interviewed have worn a suit, jacket, or dress—but I honestly don’t think I would even have noticed if someone wore a shirt and tie without a jacket. I care about what they say, not so much about how they dress. I guess if someone wore pajamas or an old t-shirt I would be unfavorably impressed!

Last edited:
Honestly I bought a suit for interviews last year and gained 20 pounds so the fit is definitely kinda bad. However, despite the fit being bad, in a virtual setting, the webcam resolution and the lack of movement means that you basically can't tell the difference. Just buy a blazer on sale or at goodwill/thrift or even borrow one - unless it's a super obvious size difference, your interviewers most likely won't be able to tell.

Would you guys recommend looking at the screen while they are taking to you and looking into the camera while you are speaking to them?
Really, you want you camera mounted right at the top of your screen in the center so that you can just look at the screen and not worry about it!

I’d find it harder to speak to someone not looking at me than visa versa.

- Regardless of what you choose to do, just be consistent throughout the interview. We caught a few interviewees reading notes and answers off their screen as their 'eye contact' inexplicably started shifting during their answers. These applicants did not fare well during deliberations. Treat these interviews like you would in person. Just my thoughts.
Would it be appropriate for the applicant to write down questions in advance for the portion of the interview where the interviewee is asked if he/she has any questions for the interviewer?

Would it be appropriate for the applicant to write down questions in advance for the portion of the interview where the interviewee is asked if he/she has any questions for the interviewer?
How would the interviewer know whether or not the applicant did haha

Would it be appropriate in person? Nothing's changed, other than they spared you the hassle and risk of having to travel during COVID, and they spared themselves the risk of having to interact with a bunch of strangers during COVID.

How would the interviewer know whether or not the applicant did haha
My suggestions:

If anyone has a professional studio setup with a teleprompter connected to a camera, it's probably possible. Otherwise, I seriously doubt any of us are slick enough to pull it off.

TBH, what everyone is talking about here is a form of cheating. This is a med school interview, not an online open note exam! :cool:

Last edited:
If anyone has a professional studio setup with a teleprompter connected to a camera, it's probably possible. Otherwise, I seriously doubt any of us are slick enough to pull it off.
I assume reading off questions, which are just a sentence or two, would be much easier and less noticeable than scripting whole answers.

I hope so anyway.

I assume reading off questions, which are just a sentence or two, would be much easier and less noticeable than scripting whole answers.

I hope so anyway.
Again, would you walk into an in person interview with that list?

How do you end an interview? Usually body language provides enough info in person. Should we just wait until the interviewer says “I have to go.”

When I was interviewing for jobs via zoom, sometimes I ended the interview because I thought that it reached its natural conclusion but usually I never heard back from these ones.

How do you end an interview? Usually body language provides enough info in person. Should we just wait until the interviewer says “I have to go.”
:laugh: You don't have any Zoom meetings at your job? How do they end?

:laugh: You don't have any Zoom meetings at your job? How do they end?
Usually the VP or MD hanging up. Mostly without even saying goodbye.

and it’s less pressure because I already have the job. So a few awkward hang ups won’t matter much if at all

• Haha
Usually the VP or MD hanging up. Mostly without even saying goodbye.
I haven't had one yet, but my understanding is these won't be quite as rude! :)

Remember, there is an allotted time for the meeting, so I assume they try to stick to it since they are typically juggling multiple candidates throughout a day. I would guess if a conversation grinds to a halt that would signal the end of an interview. Otherwise, I would also assume the interviewer takes the lead, and it will be obvious when the meeting is ending, without the need for reading body language or having a screen just go dark.

...how did you find this post. It's in the middle of the tenth page of school specific forum from last year.

The man just lives and breathes SDN. If it was any other poster I’d be surprised too but it was by the one and only.

• Haha
The other thing I would add is not to have ceiling fans in your background.

A mistake I made, not in an interview but in a class on Zoom, was to be in a rocking chair mindlessly rocking with my foot. I could tell the teacher couldn't stand to look at me and I felt bad. I had a classmate who had a ceiling fan and it really bothered me. Also, background noise. Be really careful about background noise like your cell phone.

Word.

Also! I don't know if anyone minds too much, but I did hear an advertisement over the local airwaves (cough, the car radio & I'm in California, so Idk if this is everywhere) that stores like H&M are allowing people to rent suits for free and for 24 hours. If you haven't heard of it - that's another option!!! SAVE YOUR MONEY.

Just looked it up -- YOU DON'T HAVE TO LOOK LIKE YOU'RE WEARING ARMANI or HUGO BOSS. Just get yourself a blazer, a clean button-up, and you should be good for those virtual interviews.

;)

Here's a link to a recently published article on it: ONE/SECOND/SUIT: H&M Launches First-Ever Rental Service In The U.S. As A Sustainable Alternative

These headphones: Amazon product

They come with a lapel clip and just look nicer than normal headphones. Super high quality, too. Used them for almost all of my interviews and they worked great!

Also, even though it's on Zoom, dress up completely (I even wore heels) to get into the interview mindset. Good luck!

Just an update (came up in an adcom meeting recently): Business casual is perfectly acceptable attire for a Zoom interview.

Just an update (came up in an adcom meeting recently): Business casual is perfectly acceptable attire for a Zoom interview.
That might not be adopted by all adcoms across schools though. Probably better to be business formal just in case (or do you disagree?)

Reactions: 2 users