Zoom preceptors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CrazyOMS

Reaction score
This is a throwaway account because I've mentioned where I go to school on my main account and what site I'm at, so I don't want to get myself in trouble craptalking my site.

But... have any of you guys had zoom-only preceptors?

I'm on my inpatient psych rotation, and all we have are nurses and social workers in person. The doc zooms in from 100 miles away for rounds, and that's it. No doc ever physically lays eyes on a patient or evaluates a patient in person. They used to drive over, but with COVID, the docs decided not to.

I mean, this is a lot of freedom because I only see my preceptor for 15 minutes a day on a zoom call and then I can hide in an office and get work done all day, but seriously - wtf kind of education is this?

Anyone else have a zoom preceptor that they will never see in person?

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
I'm shaking my head here. I am in the same spot as you bud and wonder how the transition to residency will be once all this is over. Also I'm still a little disappointed that some of the rotations I was actually looking forward to went online. I think it's kind of crazy that for this level of interaction we are still paying atrocious amounts of tuition. I get that schools still need to pay their faculty but like students are getting trashed educationally.

It's an atrocity in medical education and I'm not one for hyperbole. As a resident during COVID, we had a virtual medical student who called for her in for rounds 15 minutes a day. The attending never prioritized it because a lot of getting a medical student up to speed needs to happen in person. It's a terrible deal for what you're paying as this is THE part of medical school that you can't get anywhere else. For medical knowledge there are a million resources.

Your situation is exceptionally terrible though. I wonder if this place should even have medical students. Like at this point they should refund the tuition and just give you guys a break instead of pretending to run rotations. At the same time, I can see why these things are happening. If you run things as before and a medical student gets sick, people are going to ask what was the purpose of having them in the hospital in the first place? You're unfortunately not essential (not because you aren't important as a human, but because that's how the system is). Its a tough situation and I think it goes to show how medical education system is broken to where medical students training has been distilled which leads lower quality resident training which then leads to burn out.