Zoot suit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hardbody

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is only a semi serious question, but would it be a total no-no to wear a zoot suit (along with the mob hat with a feather) to an interview? I know, I see the responses coming and it goes like this :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: , but seriously.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't do it, man. :laugh:

zoot suit = YES.

I need the long droopy chain hanging from the pocket, the black and white platformish shoes and some FAT pin stripes.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I was in high school, zoot suits became fashionable to wear for the prom...the school prohibited guys from wearing the chains to go with them because they were "potential weapons" or something like that. Wow.

I own one zoot suit and when I put it on my father told me that I look like a, "mafia hitman straight out of the old school" (I am Italian). When I talk about wearing a zoot suit to the interview I will take the hat off and I am not talking about wearing a flambuyant color (something in a more traditional color). That may help clear the picture up a little. That being said, I know some people are getting a chuckle out of this post, which is a secondary reason for me posting this so go ahead and laugh, but I am seriously considering wearing one.

I happened to be in the admissions waiting room & saw an applicant wearing a zoot suit to an interview a couple of seasons ago. The suit caught my eye, then I looked at the nametag and thought I recognized the name... talked to the guy, sure enough, I knew one of his parents and the parent's sib -- both were alumni and had or were currently on the faculty! (I'd worked closely with one & knew the other by sight).

(cross post on the legacy thread??)

Long story short -- he didn't even get waitlisted. Blown right out of the water post-interview. I'm not saying that it was the suit but it didn't tip the balance in his favor.

You gotta arrive in style, too. I'm thinking a '39 Buick would do the trick. A cane would be a nice touch. Ooo, and don't forget the cigar. Bonus points for blowing smoke rings into the interviewers face. You also must begin your answers with "Now you listen to me" or "Here's the way this is gonna work" and end with "Capiche?" Instead of thanking the interviewer you should end the meeting with "I've heard enough. Tony, get the car. We're through here."

ed2brute said:
You gotta arrive in style, too. I'm thinking a '39 Buick would do the trick. A cane would be a nice touch. Ooo, and don't forget the cigar. Bonus points for blowing smoke rings into the interviewers face. You also must begin your answers with "Now you listen to me" or "Here's the way this is gonna work" and end with "Capiche?" Instead of thanking the interviewer you should end the meeting with "I've heard enough. Tony, get the car. We're through here."
LOL, I get the picture.

ed2brute said:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: That's awesome, best post I've seen for a while. Thanks for the laugh, pal.

LizzyM said:
I happened to be in the admissions waiting room & saw an applicant wearing a zoot suit to an interview a couple of seasons ago. The suit caught my eye, then I looked at the nametag and thought I recognized the name... talked to the guy, sure enough, I knew one of his parents and the parent's sib -- both were alumni and had or were currently on the faculty! (I'd worked closely with one & knew the other by sight).

(cross post on the legacy thread??)

Long story short -- he didn't even get waitlisted. Blown right out of the water post-interview. I'm not saying that it was the suit but it didn't tip the balance in his favor.

Thanks for the heads up. As much as I like the zoot suit, it is definitely not worth getting rejected.

i also hate the drab navy blue and gray interview suits everyone wears. i wore pinstrips, a black dress shirt and a blue tie. it wasn't zoot suit territory, but it was definitely on the sharper end of traditional.

Members don't see this ad :)
A zoot suit may be pushing the envelope a bit in terms of attire. However, if it is your personality, go for it. If nothing else, it is an icebreaker. Gonna make them an offer they can't refuse, huh? :)

I wore a dramatic hot pink shirt under a black with small pink and white specks to my interviews and was actually thanked by interviewers who were sick of looking at candidates who wore the black or navy suits.

Be yourself. Just have an answer if someone asks. Not all interviewers have a great big stick up their butts. I would find it hilarious. Imagine that.... a pre-med with a sense of humor?

Hardbody said:
This is only a semi serious question, but would it be a total no-no to wear a zoot suit (along with the mob hat with a feather) to an interview? I know, I see the responses coming and it goes like this :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: , but seriously.

Only if you interview at New Jersey. Or at the docks.

once you get in where you want to go and have another interview scheduled WEAR IT!!! and tell me so that i can have an interview at that school on the same day!!!

BrettBatchelor said:
I'm going to wear a seersucker suit to anything south of the Mason Dixon line.

LOL. Wildly popular with conservative physicians north of the Mason Dixon line from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Pity that those dates are not during interview season. I think you'd look marvelous in seersucker -- and a bowtie, of course.

BrettBatchelor said:
I'm going to wear a seersucker suit to anything south of the Mason Dixon line.

Seriously?

LizzyM said:
LOL. Wildly popular with conservative physicians north of the Mason Dixon line from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Pity that those dates are not during interview season. I think you'd look marvelous in seersucker -- and a bowtie, of course.

So I am guessing my white Don Johnson suit won't work after labor day. I am finally going to have to buy some black socks.

LizzyM said:
Bowtie....Of course.

BrettBatchelor said:
Bowtie....Of course.

Not the bowtie, :laugh: . That would be classic, you would definitely stand out, although I am not sure that is a good thing.

Hardbody said:
This is only a semi serious question, but would it be a total no-no to wear a zoot suit (along with the mob hat with a feather) to an interview?
At some stage of the interview are you planning on breaking out in song and dancing?

notdeadyet said:
At some stage of the interview are you planning on breaking out in song and dancing?

:laugh:
May I suggest....
"Luck be A Lady Tonight"

or perhaps, because med admissions are such a crapshoot:

"The Oldest Established Permanent Floating Crap Game In New York"

Hardbody said:
Not the bowtie, :laugh: . That would be classic, you would definitely stand out, although I am not sure that is a good thing.
Definitely the bowtie. Didn't you know the long necktie is a phallic symbol?

BrettBatchelor said:

this reminds me of that classic crossfire episode with Jon Stewart:

JS: "How old are you?"
TC: "I'm 35"
SJ: "And you wear a bow tie"
TC: "Yes, I do"
SJ: "Now, i'm not suggesting that you're not a smart guy because those things are hard to tie...." :laugh:

BrettBatchelor said:
lol necktie screams carlton from fresh prince of belair. you should also threaten the med school interviewer and tell him you "know people' like carlton did when he went to his princeton u. intervew.