zoster reconstitution

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

icekitsune

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone ever has problems with your zoster not dissolving? A pharmacist I was working with reconstituted zoster and it wouldn't dissolve after shaking and rolling between palms. At the end she just tossed it out and reconstituted another one. I was curious if the resulting mixture is supposed to be clear or offwhite color with no chunks. I thought it was kindof wasteful since a zoster shot costs so much but the patient was getting impatient and it wasn't dissolving. Thoughts? would you grab another zoster ?

Members don't see this ad.

never shake zoster. always swirl. also, when you inject the reconstitution solution, make sure to aim it towards the side of the powder vial. You don't want to agitate the powder.

Members don't see this ad :)
all of the above, NEVER inject Zostavax if its not fully dissolved, it shouldn't be shaken, and it shoulds like there was a problem with that vial and it could have been returned to the manufacturer.

From the manufacturer: "When reconstituted, ZOSTAVAX is a semi-hazy to translucent, off-white to pale yellow liquid"