1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

zoster reconstitution

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by icekitsune, Sep 4, 2014.

1. icekitsune

7+ Year Member

Did anyone ever has problems with your zoster not dissolving? A pharmacist I was working with reconstituted zoster and it wouldn't dissolve after shaking and rolling between palms. At the end she just tossed it out and reconstituted another one. I was curious if the resulting mixture is supposed to be clear or offwhite color with no chunks. I thought it was kindof wasteful since a zoster shot costs so much but the patient was getting impatient and it wasn't dissolving. Thoughts? would you grab another zoster ?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. FMLazole

2+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I definitely would have grabbed another as all that I have reconstituted have done so literally within seconds... Probably would have held on to it and contacted manufacturer though, but that might just be the manager/financials in me talking.

4. owlegrad

owlegrad Uncontrollable Sarcasm Machine
    Staff Member Administrator Pharmacist 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I was just going to say the same thing - call the manufacturer and get that replaced!

5. WSOPstudent

Pharmacist
    never shake zoster. always swirl. also, when you inject the reconstitution solution, make sure to aim it towards the side of the powder vial. You don't want to agitate the powder.

6. BidingMyTime

BidingMyTime Lost Shaker Of Salt
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    all of the above, NEVER inject Zostavax if its not fully dissolved, it shouldn't be shaken, and it shoulds like there was a problem with that vial and it could have been returned to the manufacturer.

7. 30Percent

30Percent Big boy shoes
    2+ Year Member

From the manufacturer: "When reconstituted, ZOSTAVAX is a semi-hazy to translucent, off-white to pale yellow liquid"