MSU-COM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Me three.. You know you can email a grade report to them, it might be faster/easier than faxing them!

Members don't see this ad.

just heard back from MSU today,
they want an interview and see my final grades for fall.
Any tips on the interview ... could really help.
thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck today everyone!!

i keep checking my email too. they just marked all of my items as complete yesterday evening, so i don't know if it was too late to be included this week... but i still have hope...

I got accepted today :):D
I'm on cloud nine!
It was at about 11 am.
My secondary was verified about a week and a half ago.

Wow, you certainly didn't have to wait long! Must be nice :rolleyes:

Congrats though!

BTW, are you instate or out?

Anyone know how full the class is at this point, I hope there is still plenty of room left ><

Well, the facebook group "MSUCOM Class of 2013" has 52 people at the moment. So, if we can give a conservative estimate that about 50% of college students have facebook profiles, then we can say that the class size right now is roughly 100 students. That means they have another 200 students to accept.

And yes, I am basing these assumptions on absolutely nothing.

Here are MSUCOM's previous three match lists. Enjoy! :)

Attachments

• MSUCOM Match List 2007.pdf
    40.4 KB · Views: 610
  • MSUCOM Match List 2008.pdf
    40.5 KB · Views: 670
  • MSUCOM Match List 2009.pdf
    47.8 KB · Views: 1,255
Last edited:
Here are MSUCOM's previous two match lists. Enjoy! :)

Match lists?

And yes you are just basing that on assumptions but thank you for the input. I realize the class size will be bigger this year so it will take longer for MSUCOM to fill up. Regardless I still have faith!

Members don't see this ad :)
At first I didn't know what you meant but I figured out so no questions. Thank you though :p

Sure thing.

Those match lists are the worst, since you have to read every entry in grouped line form, rather than as lines on a spreadsheet or something similar. Oh well, they're better than nothing. Thanks to the user who sent me a PM with the link--you rock! :thumbup:

Have there been any Out-of-State MSU acceptances yet this year? It seems like almost everyone is in-state so far. Do they typically fill the class first with the in-staters and then fill the last few spots with out-of-staters or does anyone know how this works?

Have there been any Out-of-State MSU acceptances yet this year? It seems like almost everyone is in-state so far. Do they typically fill the class first with the in-staters and then fill the last few spots with out-of-staters or does anyone know how this works?

I didn't get an acceptance, but I was waitlisted in late September and I'm out-of-state so I know they're at least reviewing out-of-state applicants.

Revilla: do you mind me asking what your stats were to get waitlisted?

When I went to visit the school there were mainly people from out of state, like half and half so I'm sure that out of staters have already gotten in and that was in October.

So I have been accepted to Nova and my deposit is due dec. 29th... I really want to get into MSUCOM because its in state and I went there for undergrad. I haven't heard anything is there anything I can do to get accepted before my deposit for Nova is due?

Got an e-mail from MSU and they said they want to see my fall grades before reviewing my application again in January. The issue is my science GPA (3.0). Anyone else in a similar situation, or know what has happened with people who have been?

Got an e-mail from MSU and they said they want to see my fall grades before reviewing my application again in January. The issue is my science GPA (3.0). Anyone else in a similar situation, or know what has happened with people who have been?

Yep! look through the thread, we've been talking about it a lot! I am on hold for fall grades. My GPA isn't the problem, its the fact that I did HORRIBLE on the MCAT (23 the first time and retook and did worse) and they want to see how I do in my upper-level science courses. I am taking orgo 2, orgo lab, human physiology 1, biochem 1, physical chemistry, and cancer physiology this semester... and I am about to finish really strong (all except p chem, I hate it so much!)

I have said it before, but if you have questions about it I really recommend calling and making an advising appointment. You can do them over the phone or in person, and the counseors are so helpful! Good luck!

About the out of staters, they traditionally accept ~10% of the class from OOS, it may be different this year since they are extending the class size, I don't really know.

I am getting SO anxious/excited/nervous/overwhelmed about January! In only a few weeks I will know their decision! Is anyone else on hold freaking out now that Jan. is coming so fast??

Just to give you some encouragement, I wasn't accepted to '12 until May this year, and several others were accepted through June as well. I think there was a fair number accepted through January. :)

Just to give you some encouragement, I wasn't accepted to '12 until May this year, and several others were accepted through June as well. I think there was a fair number accepted through January. :)

Thanks for the encourgament, it is always good to hear something positive :)

I agree. I have been accepted, but my interview of the school wasn't very good. My tour guides were second year's that just made jokes about how we should all say good bye to life as we know it. I left with the impression that MSU didn't care at all if any of us actually chose to go to school there...sad seeing that i will be spending over $200,000. What does everyone like about MSU so much...I know its a great school that is ranked well but I would love to hear some positive feedback from students or prospective students. I have mixed feelings about the school. Sadly, only one person in my tour group said at the end of the day that he would be attending, everyone else said that they would probably go else where. I have been offered an interview at Des Moines and i think i might go out there but i dont know....help! :)

I'm sorry that your experience was such a turn off. I'm COM 2012 and have been pretty impressed with my experience so far. If you're a pre-med student, you most likely have what it takes, and if you've been accepted, than you really do have what it takes. I'm a husband and father, and I have made enough time for a balanced life including my family, religious life, entertainment, etc.
I really love how tight my class is. I've never had a similar academic experience. Everyone is going through the same classes and facing the same challenges. It is a very supportive environment.
The debt sucks, but most of us don't even think about it anymore. The average doc is going to be able to pay off the debt pretty easily.
Ultimately, it really is about where you feel good. Personally, I like COM. There are some really great people here. Hope that helps a bit.
Cheers!

i'm an undergrad now and all my prereqs aren't finished yet for MSUCOM (they will be by may 09) - do you think they're still reviewing my file?

i'm an undergrad now and all my prereqs aren't finished yet for MSUCOM (they will be by may 09) - do you think they're still reviewing my file?

Yes, as long as you sent them your schedule that shows you will have all the prereqs done before you graduate. I have already been reveiwed and I still have to finish up my prereqs in the Spring.

Yes, as long as you sent them your schedule that shows you will have all the prereqs done before you graduate. I have already been reveiwed and I still have to finish up my prereqs in the Spring.

How do you know you have already been reviewed? Did they send you an email with a decision?

How do you know you have already been reviewed? Did they send you an email with a decision?

Yeah, I have to finish my last English class in the Spring and they sent an email about that before I was even reviewed. Then I got an email about 9 days after completion of my secondary that I would be placed on wait list and if I didn't get off the wait list this year I would have a guaranteed place in the class of 2014

Yeah, I have to finish my last English class in the Spring and they sent an email about that before I was even reviewed. Then I got an email about 9 days after completion of my secondary that I would be placed on wait list and if I didn't get off the wait list this year I would have a guaranteed place in the class of 2014

What are your stats?? Im so frustrated that I have not heard anything from them :( I have been complete since September, that cannot be good. :(

I should count myself lucky that I have been accepted other places but I really wanted to go to MSU.

What are your stats?? Im so frustrated that I have not heard anything from them :( I have been complete since September, that cannot be good. :(

I should count myself lucky that I have been accepted other places but I really wanted to go to MSU.

Hey, I haven't heard back either and I have been done since August! Just hang in there, I actually had an appointment with Terri (one of the advisors) today and she was very encouraging. She said that the East Lansing campus was almost full, but the DMC and Macomb campus's only had about 10 people in each. So, I estimate that there are still roughly 100 - 120 seats left in the class... thats a good amount! Just gotta have the faith :p

3.6 science, 3.7 overall, 22P MCAT (yeah I know I got extremely lucky) good activities, leadership positions, good LOR

If its worth it wait it out and don't give up hope there are alot of spots still open, I deferred my entrance because I already knew I wanted to take a year off, but good luck!

does anyone know how long their christmas break is? I checked on the website but cant find exact dates

Today was the last day for COM students, but I think the administration will stick around for a couple weeks more. I don't know if the admissions committee will meet again before next year though. I hope they do though, I'd like to see more SDNers get in, not to mention a few more people from Grand Valley.

Today was the last day for COM students, but I think the administration will stick around for a couple weeks more. I don't know if the admissions committee will meet again before next year though. I hope they do though, I'd like to see more SDNers get in, not to mention a few more people from Grand Valley.

Yes, agreed. I would love to be able to hear from them this week or next. MSU COM is my dream school :p

Last edited:
doesn't COM usually accept on wednesdays?
tomorrow is their last chance to have me next year :p
(paying deposit for CCOM on friday unless i get into COM)

does anyone know how long their christmas break is? I checked on the website but cant find exact dates

Official end of semester is this Friday (the 12th) and we don't start again until January 12th. Not sure what admissions does that whole time.

doesn't COM usually accept on wednesdays?
tomorrow is their last chance to have me next year :p
(paying deposit for CCOM on friday unless i get into COM)

I got accepted on a Monday, FYI

I just received the acceptance email!!! I was so excited I temporarily forgot my parent's phone number. I had to calm down to actually think about the numbers i was pressing :laugh:

Turning down an acceptance at Wayne for MSUCOM:)

I'm sure there are going to many more like me here in the coming months (with the opposite decision). Keep your head up-I'm rooting for all of you that see what I see in this school.

hey, i just found out i was waitlisted :(

anybody know how early ppl hear back if they are taken off the waitlist?

hey, i just found out i was waitlisted :(

anybody know how early ppl hear back if they are taken off the waitlist?

Same for me. I was wondering the same thing and if they accept many people off the waitlist.

Same for me. I was wondering the same thing and if they accept many people off the waitlist.

Well there are two different wait lists that you could be on, one with a guaranteed place for the class of 2014 if you don't get off it and then one without the guarantee. Which one did you get placed on? My impression was that most people put on the wait list with a guaranteed spot with 2014 end up getting off it before June.

Turning down an acceptance at Wayne for MSUCOM:)

I'm sure there are going to many more like me here in the coming months (with the opposite decision). Keep your head up-I'm rooting for all of you that see what I see in this school.

Thanks for the rooting :p, MSUCOM is definitely my number one school and I would pass on any school to go there.

I did not receive guaranteed admissions for 2014. I am on the lower waitlist i guess then. They also said due to the completeness of my application and quality of my achievements an interview would not be neccessary. I think that is weird also.

yea, i got the same email
its because they dont interview

im on the same waitlist, no guaranteed admission for 2014

anybody have any idea when they start to take ppl off the wait list?

3.7 science, 3.6 overall, 23N MCAT work 20+ hours a week as well as once a week with a DO doc for the past two years, good extracurriculars, leadership positions, good LOR

Status
Not open for further replies.