Columbia 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
shabu2 said:
Doggie, Stargirl, Buckyball

Who are you guys? Maybe I'll see you on campus?

Shabu2
SDOS 2007

It's like ancient chinese martial arts..........if i tell you, i'd have to kill you. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Doggie said:
oh yeah......only towers offer free AC! you'll be needing it once humidity reaches 50% and the temp gets over 90F.

Eh I've lived for 4 years in Boston without AC. Unless NYC weather is drastically hotter than boston I don't think it'll be a big deal. Maybe I'll just get an AC when it gets really bad.

When i get to columbia my primary mission will be to sniff out doggie and stargirl and buckyball's true identities. My secondary mission will be to do well in class.

georgian room assignment is all luck
either u get a quiet nice room facing 169th street, or face the backalley by the dump
or, you get a room facing the ER entrance on 168th street. get used to using ear plugs cuz ambulance drivers ain't care if u have to sleep or study.

Members don't see this ad :)
oh, and rats at georgian is no joke
i have seen one myself that's about a foot long, not including the length of its tail

...what i would do to have cable tv right now... that's probably the best reason to move to the towers (shared cable fees)....
hehe hope i don't get bored enough to take a 4th vacation this summer :D

badaboom said:
oh, and rats at georgian is no joke
i have seen one myself that's about a foot long, not including the length of its tail

Now let me clear some things up.....

1). yes NYC has rats, but I have NEVER seen one in the Georgian, and I've lived her for 2 years now!

2). Cockroaches, good luck if you find a place without them!

3). it really isn't that noisy..... I don't remember the last time I heard an ambulance siren at night. The view is better streetside than the dump, but oh well, at least you can roll out of bed into class in the morning.

ya i agree that's the best thing about georgian
it's right across the street from the skool. u can make it to the 9am science basics even if u leave at 8:58 :D

oh and really cool about georgian
free utilities!

no roaches or rats here in the towers. :)

if you face the city side, you get to hear the stupid ice cream truck even at 1am.........word is that it's a cover-up for selling crack/pot. :eek: if you face the river side, you get to hear traffic accidents at 2am. :eek:

Doggie said:
no roaches or rats here in the towers. :)

if you face the city side, you get to hear the stupid ice cream truck even at 1am.........word is that it's a cover-up for selling crack/pot. :eek: if you face the river side, you get to hear traffic accidents at 2am. :eek:

screeech..... BOOM! that's the river side

oh ya, don't forget about the car alarms also
stupid kids throwing their stupid ball on the street setting off alarms, and big garbage trucks that roll by the small Haven avenue
i swear, it's the same cheap ass brand car alarm that get set off, cuz they all sound the same. stupid junk brand car alarm.

ice cream truck that sells crackpots? sounds like GTA Vice City :D
i am gonna snipe one of those trucks wiht me paintball guns one day STFU STFU!

oh ya, and the homeless shelter right next to georgian
u ladies better walk on the south side of 168th at night

oh, and how could u forget the dog poops along haven avenue
stupid people don't *pick up* after their dogs
u know the park next to 154 Haven apartment? they actually have signs that says to pick up their dogs, and it's actually CLEAN in the park
so people don't do it on the street? WTF? cuz there is no sign to tell them to pick up?
i saw one of the dudes that was cleaning up the street the other day. he was yelling at one of the dog owners for not picking up muwahhaaa the dog owner was so embarassed, and his dog looked all puzzled. MUWAHAHAAAAA
hey the summer heat on the dog poops is a good mix

don't worry guys, i'm pretty petite and i don't fear the homeless shelter... they really mind their own business...

there's no cockroaches or rats in Bard... I've only seen 1 spider my whole 2 years here...
(you do however have to get use to seeing rats in the subway rails).

it's really not that bad... [this coming from someone that moved from living in one of the most ritzy neighborhoods prior to dental school].

Do they allow pets in the Bard? I really wish I can bring my puppy with me to New York ?

no puppy at Bard
pets ok at Towers

oh i forgot to mention one other thing about georgian
it's got the cheapest laundry machines, 75 cents per load, and they're big machines!!!!

the ones at towers are tiny, like half the size as those at georgian, and costs 1.25 per load

Members don't see this ad :)
You can have pets at Towers????????? I want to bring my cat with me so bad.

StarGirl said:
(you do however have to get use to seeing rats in the subway rails).

if you do ever get lost in the subway systems, you can always barbecue the rats survivor style! :rolleyes:

nyla24 said:
You can have pets at Towers????????? I want to bring my cat with me so bad.

too bad i haven't seen a rat in towers yet
or ur cat could chase one around... u know, like what they usually do

muwah
remember the few robbery reports last winter? that some healthscience campus kids like us got robbed at knife point?
they posted all these alert flyers everywhere telling people to be careful?
i still remember one of them... corner of 171st and ft. washington, at 6pm
and that there's another one soon after that

oh well, u ladies don't walk by urself at night. stay on the west of Haven and south of 168th.

it's not that bad. washington heights is SAFE.
ain't like Temple

Temple is the only skool that they spend half hour talking to you about campus security at your interview.

i wonder why they don't offer self defense classes at Bard gym

consider learning how to load and unload, aim and pull.

i triaged a female pt a couple of months back she told me she's shopping for a compact one so she can keep it in her purse. but she's in police academy so they're licensed to carry one.

i wonder what the new york city conceal weapon law is like

badaboom said:
muwah
remember the few robbery reports last winter? that some healthscience campus kids like us got robbed at knife point?
they posted all these alert flyers everywhere telling people to be careful?
i still remember one of them... corner of 171st and ft. washington, at 6pm
and that there's another one soon after that

oh well, u ladies don't walk by urself at night. stay on the west of Haven and south of 168th.

it's not that bad. washington heights is SAFE.
ain't like Temple

Temple is the only skool that they spend half hour talking to you about campus security at your interview.

Sure we might goto school in the ghetto, but at Temple we live in a beautiful forest paradise 10 mins from school....whereas at Columbia you goto school AND live in the ghetto :thumbup:

don't think you can carry a weapon in nyc unless you're a cop, etc. if you're not in law enforcement , you can carry a gun but you have to prove that your employment requires you to carry/transport a certain amount of money to justify the weapon ... like armored truck peeps.

My brother a week ago was telling me if it was legal, he'd get me a tazer (sp?) gun haha. But girls-it's not a bad idea to invest in pepper spray.

i think you guys are over thinking it...

Dr.BadVibes said:
Sure we might goto school in the ghetto, but at Temple we live in a beautiful forest paradise 10 mins from school....whereas at Columbia you goto school AND live in the ghetto :thumbup:

dont count on that.......the first 2 years in ANY dental school, you'll pretty much be living there.

I heard if your stuck in a situation where someone tries to mug you, your suppose to throw your wallet one direction and run the opposite way. Can't wait to try that technique out this fall.

so the only purpos e of checkin this website is to se e what is up w. the coluumbia 2008 crew...and the conversatoin has been slackin. whats the good word? whats shakin w.the fellow classmates? ill start it off...CRUSHIN BREWSWSSSSSSSSS AND I HOPE YOU ALL AER DOIN THE SAME

Hey everyone; I remember how I used this thing just a year or so ago in the same way you all are...so I thought I'd drop you guys a line just in case you all had any questions.

What's up, Matt here. I'm a second year at Columbia SDOS (2007) and I'm from Naples Fl/Dover DE, take your pick. You probably have a ton of questions, like I did, so my email is [email protected] Feel free to get in touch; I probably won't be logging onto this forum much, so reach me there :eek: You've made a good decision to come to Columbia; it'll be challenging, but the first year is great.

ps. Go to orientation week..it was a blast and it's a great time to hang out with everyone in your class. Good times for sure. Later on.

DBB said:
so the only purpos e of checkin this website is to se e what is up w. the coluumbia 2008 crew...and the conversatoin has been slackin. whats the good word? whats shakin w.the fellow classmates? ill start it off...CRUSHIN BREWSWSSSSSSSSS AND I HOPE YOU ALL AER DOIN THE SAME

Haha looks like a late night message typed while totally smashed. :laugh:

Does anybody know when and how long winter vacation is?

nnjh said:
Does anybody know when and how long winter vacation is?

Exams end Fri Dec 17 and classes start again Mon Jan 3 so we get 2 whole weeks.

hey guys, i must be an idiot! do you use cubmail? or something? i signed up for my uni password. how do i get to the e mail page??

two whole weeks of vacation?? only two week?? considering we don't have the summer

after second and third year off, that sure does suck

Oh...one question...which bank should I open my account at?

Am I the only one who can't activate their account? I keep getting error messages.

Nyla, instead of looking up your UNI try the link for "Can't find Uni" on the page for "Activate New Account." That worked for me when I kept on getting error messages. Hope that's helpful?

nnjh said:
two whole weeks of vacation?? only two week?? considering we don't have the summer

after second and third year off, that sure does suck

Oh...one question...which bank should I open my account at?

I would recommend Bank of America considering they are merged with Fleet and they will be huge. Plus there should be their ATMs everywhere. DO NOT sign up with citibank. I have tried them and honestly they have been nothing but a pain in the ass to deal with.

freedyx3 said:
I would recommend Bank of America considering they are merged with Fleet and they will be huge. Plus there should be their ATMs everywhere. DO NOT sign up with citibank. I have tried them and honestly they have been nothing but a pain in the ass to deal with.

i must agree about citi bank, however it seems like there's one of them on every corner in NYC...but there's not many Bank of America's (there's a new one opening in times sq).

There's a Citibank ATM in the lobby of tower I and Bard.
There's a Washington Mutual (i think) in the hospital.

Hey columbia SDOS class of 2008,

So school starts in 3 weeks and I was thinking that we should all get together before orientation starts. Since orientation starts 24th and move in is on 23rd I think we should all meet up on the 23rd. I talked to sillyrabbit who knows the NYC area bout good places to meet, and she suggested Dallas BBQ which is only a 5 min walk from Bard. I think this will be a great chance for all of us on SDN to finally meet each other. Of course Doggie and stargirl and any other upperclassmen are invited to join us too!

Just follow the below evite link to get directions to Dallas BBQ and also to say if you're coming or not. I hope to see everyone there!

http://www.evite.com/[email protected]/columbia

Fred

freedyx3 said:
Hey columbia SDOS class of 2008,

Since orientation starts 24th and move in is on 23rd I think we should all meet up on the 23rd.

http://www.evite.com/[email protected]/columbia

Fred

Doggie's not around this month...
and I can't make it the 23rd...starting Oral Surgery rotation that day and the hospital I am going to is 1.5-2 hrs away :(

what's the orientation scheldule like?

Hi Columbians,

can anyone comment on how expensive are the meals at Sam's Underground Caf? in Bard Hall?

thanks!

StarGirl said:
Doggie's not around this month...
and I can't make it the 23rd...starting Oral Surgery rotation that day and the hospital I am going to is 1.5-2 hrs away :(

what's the orientation scheldule like?

Suuure "oral surgery rotation." Like I've never heard of that excuse before. You just don't want to reveal your secret identity.

freedyx3 said:
Suuure "oral surgery rotation." Like I've never heard of that excuse before. You just don't want to reveal your secret identity.

:eek: of course, you might be some psycho stalker :p
are you guys doing the yankee's game for orientation...maybe i'll come to that since there's usually tixs left over :D and who could resist hot dogs and beer :p

Halitosis said:
Hi Columbians,

can anyone comment on how expensive are the meals at Sam's Underground Caf? in Bard Hall?

thanks!
i think you'll spend about 5-8 bucks per meal... i don't normally go down there...

Stargirl,

my god! $5-8? there better be some lobsters and oysters if i'm going to pay that much.

so, where do most 1st year bard residents go for meals?

thank u.

Halitosis said:
Stargirl,

my god! $5-8? there better be some lobsters and oysters if i'm going to pay that much.

thank u.

You think 5-8 bucks is expensive? Oh man I was dancing in my pants when i heard those prices. After living in Boston for 4 years those prices are pretty good. I'm use to paying like 10 bucks for a calzone.

Halitosis said:
Stargirl,

thank u.

hmm i don't know, when i do go out to eat around this area it's just one of the places on broadway... and generally it'll be around 10-15 dollars per meal unless we do fast food and pizza and the dinner which are much cheaper... and there's always the carts.
i usually eat at my friend's or make something really simple... and whenever i meet up w/ people (non school related) we always go somewhere downtown (and if you think around 10 bucks is expensive....you're in for a huge shock).

Where are you from?

Halitosis said:
jesus christ!

My thoughts exactly.

10-15 bucks a meal is pretty expensive. I went to school in upstate

New York. I lived in an one bedroom apartment and utilities+rent was 350 a

month. Manhattan sure is expensive....

New York City is definitely a little more expensive than other places. Halitosis, don't worry...there are other cheaper places besides the place in bard. There's Famiglia Pizza, McDonalds, Wendy's, Jou Jou wraps and sandwiches all in the area.