Columbia 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey Everyone,

Thought I would post something here to say 'What's up?' to all of you joining Columbia next year.

The school is great, you will have a lot of fun, and learn a lot also.

Any questions, just ask away..... either Doggie, Stargirl, or myself.... we 3 know the ins and outs of the school.

Oh, for those of you assigned to Georgian.... it isn't as noisy as people say.... if you're right on the street side, it might be a bit, but rarely do you get emergencies pouring in all night with sirens blazing, etc.

Bucky

Members don't see this ad.

what about the suicide rate at NMDNJ?
and NYU

will D be happy if i ask him that about columbia?

Members don't see this ad :)
i don't know.... ask him

nnjh said:
I just discoved this site a few days ago. I guess I'll be joining all of you at

Columbia next month. Kinda looking forward to it and anxious at the same

time haven't been in school for the past six years. Well anyway I've received

a housing assignment from columbia, georgian residence and its a three

person suite and its a double. I sure hope this is a typo because I haven't

shared a room with somebody in a looooong time. Also, when will we be

billed for our tuition and board anyway?

you're worried about getting billed???????!!!!????? (if you really want you can have my summer housing bill :p )
you probably won't share a room.... someone will end up moving to the living room (which is the better room anyways...and it has it's own bathroom).

What stargirl didn't mention, is that someone is probably already in the living room..... unless you get a georgian 3 person that is empty right now, and 3 new people come in to share it.

But, don't worry about that.... the Georgian is really good because it's so close to class, but not as luxurious as the towers.

Any other questions.... feel free.....

Bucky

first of all hello to all of the people on this forum.

what i don't understand is why would someone want to live in the living room?

you wouldn't have any privacy at all

Hey nnjh,

well.... it beats 2 people sharing a double room, plus you put a door up!

there is privacy.... i'll be moving into a living room next week.

hope that answers your question!

Bucky

Buckyball said:
Hey nnjh,

well.... it beats 2 people sharing a double room, plus you put a door up!

there is privacy.... i'll be moving into a living room next week.

hope that answers your question!

Bucky
So Bucky what is a two person suite (side by side) like in Georgian? Is that two rooms or one room with a living/kitchen area?

Hey bucky thanks for the reply

Don't want to sound like a dim witted idiot here but...uhmm.... won't I have

to go through the living room to get to my room??? Or does every room have

a separtate door to the corridor or stairway?

The living room has a separate entrance..... there is one main entrance to a hallway which has the living room, both bedrooms, a kitchen, closets, and a bathroom coming off of it.

Each person gets a closet, but it isn't inside your room.... so be warned. Two people share a bathroom, and the person with the living room has their own. All 3 people share the kitchen, but no stove.

Do you know what room number you are going to be in yet?

Hope this helps.... my advice is that if you want to really live like a predoctoral student, and not a college student, don't use their furniture.... buy your own which you can use for 4 years..... oh yeah, and buy a bed.... don't rely on their crappy matresses..... Dentists have enough problems with their back so you need some good rest.

nyla24 said:
So Bucky what is a two person suite (side by side) like in Georgian? Is that two rooms or one room with a living/kitchen area?

Hey Nyla,

a side by side is what i was in this past year.... basically, each person has their own bedroom, you share the kitchen and bathroom, and each person gets a closet (outside your room) with one extra closet for storage or whatever you like.

Who are you rooming with next year.... if you know?

Bucky

Buckyball said:
Hey Nyla,

a side by side is what i was in this past year.... basically, each person has their own bedroom, you share the kitchen and bathroom, and each person gets a closet (outside your room) with one extra closet for storage or whatever you like.

Who are you rooming with next year.... if you know?

Bucky
Thanks for the reply. I will be rooming with Azedah next year. Do you know her?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I do. She's a very good friend of mine actually.... guess we'll all be living on the 6th floor now!

By the way, where you from?

Also, any Canadians going to Columbia???

I am from Florida. It seems like Azedah is really nice. You are the second person to speak fondly of her.

Buckyball said:
Yeah, I do. She's a very good friend of mine actually.... guess we'll all be living on the 6th floor now!

By the way, where you from?

Also, any Canadians going to Columbia???

Hey buckyball, where ya from?

Two questions, hopefully someone can answer these. First, do we wear scrubs all day to our classes? For some reason...I dont remember if students did or just regular casual clothes. And second, does anyone know where approx. size dimensions of Georgian Residences can be found? Id like to know what furniture to consider buying, etc. THANKS. -KB

nyla24 said:
I am from Florida. It seems like Azedah is really nice. You are the second person to speak fondly of her.

make that 3!! she's really awsome :)

Stargirl is your real name Suzan? :confused:

freedyx3 said:
Stargirl is your real name Suzan? :confused:

no... where did u get that???

please don't make any more guesses on here either... PM me if you do :) *sorry I'm paranoid

DBB said:
Two questions, hopefully someone can answer these. First, do we wear scrubs all day to our classes? For some reason...I dont remember if students did or just regular casual clothes. And second, does anyone know where approx. size dimensions of Georgian Residences can be found? Id like to know what furniture to consider buying, etc. THANKS. -KB

No.... you can wear regular clothes to classes.... scrubs to anatomy lab, and scrubs and a white coat, or regular clothes with a white coat to lab classes.

Also, depends on which Georgian room you have..... which one do you have?

Buy a bed for sure (their mattresses suck). They give desks and dressers, but I never did like that crappy wood that they use.

Dr.BadVibes said:
Hey buckyball, where ya from?

From Toronto, born and raised!

Buckyball said:
From Toronto, born and raised!

Few people from Toronto at Columbia, eh? I met with a guy in the first year clinicals during my interview from Toronto and he gave me the ins and outs of Columbia...really nice guy, but cant remember his name. You likin it so far? How does it fair to Canadian undergrad?

Hey could have been bros and sistas, I'm back,,,,

Getting the new place ready for going to Toronto...

Sorry. It was hard...I've missed u all, I've been on long vacation.

Still see that Avin is up to no good.

Bucky so are the girls in Columbia better than Toronto?

Doggie said:
she is hot! :love:

Soooo is Suzan stargirl? Cause suzan is the girl who's collecting all our info to put in the facebook. I believe she describes herself as disgustingly friendly or something like that.

freedyx3 said:
Soooo is Suzan stargirl? Cause suzan is the girl who's collecting all our info to put in the facebook. I believe she describes herself as disgustingly friendly or something like that.

I'm NOT Suzan. (plus, i'm not really that friendly... and i'm ugly :( )

StarGirl said:
I'm NOT Suzan. (plus, i'm not really that friendly... and i'm ugly :( )

OK then is your name by any chance Shaniqua?

freedyx3 said:
Stargirl,
from what I can tell, you seem very friendly and I am sure you are attractive.

Fredyx3,
What do you mean by your comment?

nyla24 said:
Stargirl,

Fredyx3,

freedyx3 said:

hmm nope... but you're getting closer alphabetically :p

nyla24 said:
Stargirl,

Fredyx3,

Just trying to guess what stargirl's real first name is. Its fun you guess too. Ok how bout Sandy. It must be sandy.

Collecting info for what? a factbook? I haven't heard anything about it. Also if anyone has the address that we need to send the $75 to for orientation that would be great.

freedyx3 said:

i think she is disgustingly hot! :love:

I really appreciate all the great advice bucky. Thanks! I'm moving into georgian

713-1. One more question for you. Are any of the graduating students selling off

their used furniture and kitchen stuff? If they are I'd buy it from them and save me

the hassle of buying everying individually and getting it delivered and what not.

nnjh said:
I really appreciate all the great advice bucky. Thanks! I'm moving into georgian

713-1. One more question for you. Are any of the graduating students selling off

their used furniture and kitchen stuff? If they are I'd buy it from them and save me

the hassle of buying everying individually and getting it delivered and what not.

About buying used stuff.... you might find some ads up, but most people are already gone by now and have sold their stuff. For kitchen stuff, what do you mean exactly?

And what kind of furniture are you trying to buy? IKEA is probably the easiest place to get everything.

Bucky

nnjh said:
Hey stp

The address is

Make the check payable to columbia university SDOS student government

I haven't mailed mine yet either, always been a procrstinator, I guess I'll be sending

mine via DHL. It's due the 1st of august.

hmm i don't think you should be posting someone's name and address on here...

when's orientation and what events are you guys having...maybe i'll come to some....

Duly noted... Deleted the message...Or I think I did..I'm not very internet savvy

hey guys,
how are the towers? should i buy a twin bed or full bed or are the ones they give us good? is there a family room?
im excited for orientation!!! :)
nyla if u need azi's email addy, let me know...i told her about in an email and we're both from the same town in ohio so im sure i'll see her soon!

Yes, if you can give Azedah my email that would be great.

dentalchica said:
hey guys,
how are the towers? should i buy a twin bed or full bed or are the ones they give us good? is there a family room?
im excited for orientation!!! :)
nyla if u need azi's email addy, let me know...i told her about in an email and we're both from the same town in ohio so im sure i'll see her soon!

The Towers would be the best place to live, although Georgian wouldnt be a far second. I think the school provides the single bed. Dont use them cuz they just suck...........all lumpy, dirty, etc. There are living rooms in the towers, but my only complaint is that none of them have windows, so you dont really get fresh air there. Especially if you cook something and it gets burnt, you'd be smelling charcoal for a few days. :laugh:

what size are the beds in georgian?

nyla24 said:
what size are the beds in georgian?

Twin. Really, for the size of the room, twin fits the best, but you can probably get away with a double (full) size bed. Queen is out of the question, unless you want almost your whole room to be a bed!

But seriously, either sleep for 1 month and decide if you can live with their bed for one year, then possibly move, or if you want to stay there for 4 years, buy a new bed.

Bucky

Buckyball said:
Twin. Really, for the size of the room, twin fits the best, but you can probably get away with a double (full) size bed. Queen is out of the question, unless you want almost your whole room to be a bed!

But seriously, either sleep for 1 month and decide if you can live with their bed for one year, then possibly move, or if you want to stay there for 4 years, buy a new bed.

Bucky

it's actually twin extra long, but i think you can fit twin size sheets onto the matress....
if you're like me and you live on a pretty tight budget you can always just get a mattress pad.
If you're living in Bard...you're going to want to get a mini fridge (you'll probably be able to find it used) and a AC.

StarGirl said:
it's actually twin extra long, but i think you can fit twin size sheets onto the matress....
if you're like me and you live on a pretty tight budget you can always just get a mattress pad.
If you're living in Bard...you're going to want to get a mini fridge (you'll probably be able to find it used) and a AC.

You really think we need to get an AC for the room? Do you think just a fan would do it?

freedyx3 said:
You really think we need to get an AC for the room? Do you think just a fan would do it?

oh yeah......only towers offer free AC! you'll be needing it once humidity reaches 50% and the temp gets over 90F.

StarGirl said:

No.... in Georgian it's Twin, and how do you suppose to fit Twin Sheets on a Twin XL mattress???

Buckyball said:
No.... in Georgian it's Twin, and how do you suppose to fit Twin Sheets on a Twin XL mattress???

cuase the mattresses are smaller in thickness than the normal :) [i think all colleges use extra long mattresses, it's about a foot longer than the regular...people that are >6' tall won't fit comfortably on regular twin]

freedyx3 said:

i didn't have an AC for the first year i was here... it's awful... cause in the winter when the radiators come on, it gets really hot so the AC comes in really handy :)

Doggie, Stargirl, Buckyball

Who are you guys? Maybe I'll see you on campus?

Shabu2
SDOS 2007

shabu2 said:
Doggie, Stargirl, Buckyball

Who are you guys? Maybe I'll see you on campus?

Shabu2
SDOS 2007
who are you? :)