'08 Application Vent Thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freudismyfriend

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought maybe we needed a thread like this because I know a lot of us have due dates that are creeping up on us...December 1st is almost 2 weeks away!

Anyway I kind of needed a thread like this too because I'm definitely starting to stress out! Just got back revisions from my personal statement and it is definitely going to need more work. It's just not where I want it to be and it's frustrating since I've been working on it for what feels like forever. Also, only one out of three of my professors has sent me back recommendations even though I gave them all out late Sept/early Oct. One of my professors isn't even going to be back until next week so she can't write it until then and I was trying to send out my paper info before Thanksgiving. Gah! Okay, end vent...for now

Members don't see this ad.

great idea for a thread!

i'm stressing about personal satements as well. the hardest part is getting different feedback from everyone. i also don't have any psych faculty to read my essay, which seems like it would be helpful.

also, i'm find some schools are really unhelpful! their websites are totally unclear and yet they are rude about answering questions!

Fantastic thread.

I am drowning under the paperwork, I worry about my letters of recommendation getting there on time (none have gotten back to me yet), I only have one statement written right now. Every school has different requirements... It is true what they say: just being able to handle the application process shows that you would probably be a worthwhile grad student!

It feels good to vent... (and to know that others are in similar situations).

PS: I have taken up yoga; it helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
The 'process' is really the first step of grad school, and it mauls many students before they even get in the door. I'm on the back-end doing the internship process, and it is just as bad, but it is on the way out.

-t

ugh so what I really hate about this process is the inconsistency of some of the schools websites.. even in the same website, one link gives a certain set of instructions while another link says something different.. some clinical psych websites are really unhelpful and have no good info on it, and you have to log on to the school's grad website to try to find everything... on a positive note, I am very thankful cuz i received my third LOR today.. and i have fully submitted to 7 of the 12 schools i will be applying to.. and the rest of the schools I have left are either 12/15 or 1/1 deadline.. makes things a little easier to do little by little..

I'm sure everybody else has at least one Dec. 1 deadline. When are you ideally trying to get stuff in by for it? I am waiting on one really really slow recommendation writer. He has had it since the second week in september. I heard from him last week saying he was hoping to finish it them the next day and i haven't heard anything from him since. I even emailed him yesterday. Is this normal behavior? anyway... I'm trying to figure out when I should send everything in for Dec. 1. I wanted to get it all in Monday, but that's looking less and less likely with the writer.

i'm in the same boat with recommendations.i think sending them out before thanksgiving, priority mail should be fine.

How is everyone handling the making sure the schools received everything they need? Is it appropriate to call and check? Or could an email suffice? Or will they basically not tell me anything.

I'm calling everywhere, except the schools that specifically tell applicants not to call. Some schools actually do you the favor of telling you when your application is complete, but that isn't most, it seems.

I am really grateful for this thread - I'm trying not to blather incessently about the application process to my friends and family (I imagine it would get tiring after a while, plus it would make it all the worse if I don't get accepted anywhere), so it's nice to have somewhere dedicated to this kind of blathering!

By the way, spillsomepaint, is that your car-driving dog in your avatar? I just made the connection!!

By the way, spillsomepaint, is that your car-driving dog in your avatar? I just made the connection!!

haha yeah that's chloe. she does this thing when i'm driving, where she stands on her hind legs (while on my lap) and puts her front paws on the steering wheel and looks around while I'm driving.

and i def know what you mean about having a place to vent about this kind of stuff. my best friend actually made a comment that I was talking about grad school a lot less recently, and I explained that I'm just not talking to her about it as much.

has anyone sent an application to VCU or McGill?

haha yeah that's chloe. she does this thing when i'm driving, where she stands on her hind legs (while on my lap) and puts her front paws on the steering wheel and looks around while I'm driving.

Haha, that's adorable!

and i def know what you mean about having a place to vent about this kind of stuff.

Ditto. There are only so many times you can gripe to friends about the THREE to FOUR essays some schools ask you to submit, and have them not get tired. Especially when they're the ones you're asking to edit those three to four essays over and over :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
What a great idea for a thread!

Even though I've been known at the office for being insanely organized with attention to detail.. and blah blah blah...this process makes me feel as though I am a scatterbrain! Who wants what sent where? How many copies? Oh crap, did I send it there... let me check... yes... sigh of relief... but wait, am I sure? I thought the website said xyz!!! ... check again..

Its good to know others are still working on Personal Statements. I liked mine, some people made revisions... I still liked it.. more people made edits... and now I feel completely lost. I have been staring at the same edits for 2 weeks. Its really the only thing holding up my applications and is making me extremely frustrated and stressed. My introduction is a mess. The more I think about it and try to incorporate everyone's comments, the less it sounds like my voice.

Its also comforting to know that others are still working on the 12/1 apps. Knowing I only have 2 weeks to finish everything is extremely anxiety inducing. I have gone so nuts that I consider the work I do for my regular full time job a way of procrastinating on my grad school applications. How sad is that???

Oh yes, and yoga is amazing!

I wish the best of luck to everybody during this time of stress!

Haha, that's adorable!

Ditto. There are only so many times you can gripe to friends about the THREE to FOUR essays some schools ask you to submit, and have them not get tired. Especially when they're the ones you're asking to edit those three to four essays over and over :laugh:

wow! some schools are requiring you to submit 3 or 4 essays? for one school? i've just got personal statements and for my writing sample I am using my senior thesis. good luck with all that writing!!

oh and btw: are any of you guys on facebook?

Oh yes, and yoga is amazing!

No kidding - I've been a total gym rat recently, as a way of releasing all this stress. It's about the only form of procrastination I let myself get away with (that and SDN!) because it's just so darn good for you!

No kidding - I've been a total gym rat recently, as a way of releasing all this stress. It's about the only form of procrastination I let myself get away with (that and SDN!) because it's just so darn good for you!

That was me when I was applying. I'm starting up my gym routine again, but for the opposite reason....because my stressful time is over (for the moment), and I actually have time to breath.

-t

I'm pretty sure I'm in personal statement hell. :scared:

yes i am there with you *whimpers*

on a plus side, since i wrote this morning, my 2nd recommender has let me know his LORs are ready.

oh and i'm applying to vcu but haven't turned in my app

spillsomepaint, i want to work with dr. holmes. i'm just confused about what to send to the grad school and what to send to the dept. i think i'll just call...

I just met with 2 faculty at a school I am applying to and the meetings went swimmingly. Actually, they were great. Meeting them has really helped me visualize myself in that environment and has settled any jitters or hesitations about that school. I am so glad I flew out there.

Now I have to get my darn letter together and get these pesky apps in!:rolleyes:

I just met with 2 faculty at a school I am applying to and the meetings went swimmingly. Actually, they were great. Meeting them has really helped me visualize myself in that environment and has settled any jitters or hesitations about that school. I am so glad I flew out there.

Now I have to get my darn letter together and get these pesky apps in!:rolleyes:
Wow, that's really cool! From what I've heard most profs won't meet with you until interview time (and with 200+ of us applying to their program every year, who can blame them?), so that speaks pretty highly of you as an applicant that they were willing to do that. If I can ask, what made you decide to fly out to the school before applying?

I think socialcog is a Social person ... they do things differently.

I think socialcog is a Social person ... they do things differently.
In a sharper state of mind, I might've made a similar inference, but my faculties are a little bit tapped out right now. My stress levels are through the roof. I should probably cut back on the caffeine (I think I'm getting heart palpitations), but when I do I can't stay focused. grumble...

Wow, that's really cool! From what I've heard most profs won't meet with you until interview time (and with 200+ of us applying to their program every year, who can blame them?), so that speaks pretty highly of you as an applicant that they were willing to do that. If I can ask, what made you decide to fly out to the school before applying?

I initially reached out to her about 6 months ago to discuss research compatibility. We have been talking since about research possibilties and I decided to go out there and meet with them face to face. It's extremely important that I know I can get along with my potential advisor since I could be working with them for 5-6 years. I suppose I could've waited until interviews....:oops:

Incidentally, I am not applying to clinical programs but social personality programs. Therefore the applicant pool will be far far fewer the the 200+ you mentioned earlier.

Good luck.

totally woke up this morning from a bad- i didn't get into grad school- dream. I know I should be trying to focus my thoughts on the more positive things, but when happens I don't get in? Does anyone have a real concrete back up plan if you don't get in? Or should I not worry about that, and figure out what to do in March if I have to?

A little late for this piece of advice (but it worked for me) was to stalk professors at the APA convention. Showing up where they are presenting is an easy way to gain their attention. I managed several good meetings this way.

Mark

You are not in personal statement hell until you have applied to at least 25 Ph.D. programs and have written individual statements for all of them. I applied to 27 programs last year... That was personal statement hell. (I needed a spread sheet to manage the process.)

Mark

I applied to 27 programs last year... That was personal statement hell. (I needed a spread sheet to manage the process.)

Wow, 27 schools. It's tempting to say "that's just crazy!". But then again...

"We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."
:laugh:

I love this forum.

Wow, 27 schools. It's tempting to say "that's just crazy!". But then again...

"We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."
:laugh:

I love this forum.

What can I say, like most competitive people applying to these programs, I was a bit disappointed when 15 apps resulted in 0 acceptances... That didn't sit well with me so I really turned up the heat.

In retrospect, all I really needed to do (and did) was hone my application essay, fine tune my selection process with regard to research interests, and have that degree in hand saying graduated (since I completed my degree in 5 semesters, turns out to be a big hindrance when applying after your 3rd semester in school with a bunch of CLEP tests and not much coursework.)

Mark

What can I say, like most competitive people applying to these programs, I was a bit disappointed when 15 apps resulted in 0 acceptances... That didn't sit well with me so I really turned up the heat.

I've actually got a question for you, Mark. You received a ton of interview invites, and I assume many of those were for the same weekend(s). How did you decide which to attend/which to turn down? I only hope I'm lucky enough to have to make those decisions, but in any event, I'm curious about how people make decisions about which interviews to attend if one cannot attend them all.

I've actually got a question for you, Mark. You received a ton of interview invites, and I assume many of those were for the same weekend(s). How did you decide which to attend/which to turn down? I only hope I'm lucky enough to have to make those decisions, but in any event, I'm curious about how people make decisions about which interviews to attend if one cannot attend them all.

Ya, there were a few tough calls where I had to decide which school I wanted to attend. As I said, I had 14 interview offers, but could only attend 7. I would have attended more if I could.

I was fortunate in one way, I had an acceptance in my pocket on Jan 15th, which really changed the whole ball game and relieved me of much pressure. After receiving that offer, I pretty much immediately started to rank the programs that I thought I would accept over Texas A&M. That eliminated a number of programs, which I declined interviews with. Indiana University of Pennsylvania, Indiana State University, and Our Lady of the Lake. Not that these were "bad" programs but on the lower end of the spectrum of where I applied and certainly less desirable than A&M.

On several weekends I had several good to very good programs asking me to interview. For instance, University of Houston, Oklahoma State University, and Michigan State University were all the same weekend if I remember correctly. This was a more difficult choice, I pretty much would have a great shot at OSU if I just showed for the interview and didn't blow it. I was strong at University of Houston (enough that they granted me a telephone interview.) and I was invited to Michigan State to interview for a second time. I decided to go to MSU because that was my number one choice from the programs there. Had I not had an acceptance in the bag, I might have tried for a less desirable program (say OSU.)

Some schools did telephone interviews in-lieu of in person interviews, most were not serious about it though (exception being MSU on my first attempt in applying since I was stuck because of weather.) Our Lady of the Lake granted me an alternate date. OSU said, if you aren't serious enough to show, good luck with the other programs. Phone interviews are not usually very convincing.

In the end I am glad I had that early acceptance. It allowed me to focus on the programs I really wanted and didn't think I had a shot at. I was surprised by some of the programs that invited me to interview, compared with the failure that I had experienced the year before.

I guess in the end my advice would be to interview with the best available programs. By this I don't mean academically but rather ones that fit your needs. The academics should be a secondary consideration, more important is the "fit" between you and your potential faculty advisors. Don't be afraid to ask about alternative interview dates, some programs have more than one interview date. Arizona State University had 2 dates and I had to pick the second one to make it work with my schedule. Inevitably your favorite 2 or 3 programs will all pick the same weekend, and it sucks. If you get the interview, you are 50% of the way there. Pick the school YOU want.

Mark

I am totally in LOR hell.

My thesis supervisor for my masters is a total.. hmm... insert fowl language here. I had loads of issues with her last year while completing my thesis and presenting at a conference, though she did write me a really good reference letter which made up for it all a little bit. This year i am in the very final stages of completing a publication (which she didn't participate in practically at all, it was my co supervisor that did most of her work) and she is back to playing the old games.

She agreed, with no hesitation, to do references again for me this year back in August. I sent them out in September (she's in Australia, I'm in Canada). Magically, they didn't show up until over a month later when I got on the phone to figure out what was going on because she wasn't returning my calls. Then I've kept asking her every few weeks what the deal is and if she has sent them back (obviously I've done this nicer than what I'm portraying here). I gave specific dates on when things needed to be mailed by and she is over a month over due. I've missed out on applying for scholarships because she hasn't mailed that reference and they were due on Nov. 15th and my first 2 school apps are due on Dec. 15. That means that she has to mail them by Monday at the latest for any hope of them getting here on time. I emailed her this yesterday and of course, not a word back!

I'm so screwed. I'm thinking about asking my co-supervisor next week to write them if I don't hear back from my primary. The only issue with that is that she barely knows me because my primary told me I had to do all my work through her rather than talking directly to my co-supervisor. Also, i asked my co-supervisor for a reference last year but she said because my primary was doing one that she wouldn't. She knows me way better now through the publication but....crap.

I'm so stressed and anxious. The universities I'm applying to all say that if you've done a thesis, a supervisor needs to write a reference. I've got two others but I need this third.

I am just venting... sorry about all this but crap... I hate the application process!!! If it wasn't stressful enough eh?

That is precisely why I went with 4 writers.

I had one who was a GREAT writer but absolutely sucked ass about about being prompt, communicative, or reliable. Yes, this prof had letters that showed up late or not at all.

I had another writer, much to her credit, wanted every detail on every program I was applying too. The packet each prof got was over one inch thick. She wrote incredible letters with lots of personal detail.

Another letter writer would have my letters delivered the same week that she got the packet (to all 27 schools!!!) This was my honors thesis adviser, and yes, she rocked (I had to fire my first thesis advisor)!

Finally, the last one was your normal letter writer. Did everything when needed, no surprises, solid letters and a great professor. Why? Could they all not be consistent??? I will never know why. It was like herding cats. I feel your pain!!!

Mark

When I applied to programs I stalked my letter writers....though thankfully they were all on top of their game. I had a great relationship with two of the three, so it just took me stopping by a couple times (I had meetings/lunches with my old supervisor).

I never realized how lucky I was......until I went through the internship application process. :scared: I had 5 LORs....since certain sites want certain things. My clinical and research supervisors were all great, but because many were very busy, I had to be overly prepared. Months in advance, and I *still* was rushing around at the end. One ran out of letterhead (and then envelopes)....another was on business for weeks, another I had to track down at her office. All ended up coming through in spades for me, but I was sweating it for awhile!

-t

You people all had such strange experiences.

I'll chime in with "I asked, I gave the writers my stuff, they got everything back to me well before the deadline (including the one from out of the province), everything went off without a hitch." Apps weren't very stressful for me. :cool: See, current apps? It's not all bad. :)

My experience was similar to JN's except that one writer was late with everything. The Universities know that's out of our control though and give some leeway on that.

I had a friend whose 3rd writer didn't write until about a month after all the due dates. This resulted in no interviews, and only one waitlist. Totally screwed this person over. It happens more than you might think, unfortunately.

I also had 4 recommenders. 2 psyc professors from my undergrad (i've been out for 2 years) and 2 PIs that I worked for (one a Ph.D. and one an MD). I chose to submit 4 LOR because I knew that one of my undergrad profs would be extremely tardy, and sure enough, her lor has still not reached my mailbox. It took a lot of stress off to have that extra letter in hand just in case.

I wish everyone the best of luck. I will be so glad when everything is finally done (if that time ever exists)

I also had 4 recommenders. 2 psyc professors from my undergrad (i've been out for 2 years) and 2 PIs that I worked for (one a Ph.D. and one an MD). I chose to submit 4 LOR because I knew that one of my undergrad profs would be extremely tardy, and sure enough, her lor has still not reached my mailbox. It took a lot of stress off to have that extra letter in hand just in case.

I wish everyone the best of luck. I will be so glad when everything is finally done (if that time ever exists)

Ok, I can see asking 4 people for letters if you're concerned that one might take forever. I guess my letter-writers were just pretty good so I never considered that. However, I'd still only actually send 3 if only 3 are requested by the uni.

So what should we do once all our applications are submitted? I had one professor that insisted on sending in his recommendations himself. Add to that, part of my application was submitted online for most schools ( Writing Sample, CV, Personal Statement, General Info) and the other half (remaining LOR, Transcripts) were priority mailed to the school with delivery confirmation. So can I call in a week to make sure everything got there?

And I thought I'd feel relieved once everything was sent!

So what should we do once all our applications are submitted? I had one professor that insisted on sending in his recommendations himself. Add to that, part of my application was submitted online for most schools ( Writing Sample, CV, Personal Statement, General Info) and the other half (remaining LOR, Transcripts) were priority mailed to the school with delivery confirmation. So can I call in a week to make sure everything got there?

Many schools will update your status online and show what they have or are still missing. Some will send you a postcard or an email stating that your file is complete or what is still missing.

If any of your schools don't do that, I would definitely follow up in a reasonable amount of time after mailing and prior to the deadline.

Pace back and forth until about mid-January.

It's nerve-wracking, yes. Do make sure that you check with each program to make sure your application is complete. It is ok to call and ask when the interview weekends are scheduled for in mid or late January depending on the cut-off dates for the apps. This was often how I figured out I was out of the running in some programs. If you are not invited 3-4 weeks prior to the interview day... your number is unlikely to be called. FWIW, I didn't hear from University of Kansas until Feb 23rd, everyone else contacted me between Jan 2nd and Feb 15th.

I wish you all the best of luck!!!

Mark

I gave up on pacing....now I'm just letting it be. Currently I'm about to open up a bottle (probably a Shiraz) and just relax. I have 2 more internship apps (going out monday....pending my last transcript and LOR).

Good luck everyone!

-t

I rarely vent since I hate too much whining and whimpering but the following is utterly annoying. In order to apply for something I need some old academic writing samples. The writings I have at my home are not what I want to send with the application materials since they do not relate as well for the purpose. The reports I want are at my parents home - I no longer live there. So I took vacation time to fly home (where I am now) and now have to search through some old papers I happened to have saved in a closet. If I do find them they will probably be marked up with comments. The original files are on an ancient computer which I thought might be dead. I was able to finally turn on the computer after charging the battery, so now I have to take it to some computer place I found which specializes in old Macs and hope that they can somehow transfer these files for me to a more modern form or at the least print them out. When I finally get this writing sample/ report and send it off to where it needs to go, I intend to attach a note that reads:"Here is the writing sample you requested. Kindly take it and shove it!":D

I hope no one else has to go through this.

I rarely vent since I hate too much whining and whimpering but the following is utterly annoying. In order to apply for something I need some old academic writing samples. The writings I have at my home are not what I want to send with the application materials since they do not relate as well for the purpose. The reports I want are at my parents home - I no longer live there. So I took vacation time to fly home (where I am now) and now have to search through some old papers I happened to have saved in a closet. If I do find them they will probably be marked up with comments. The original files are on an ancient computer which I thought might be dead. I was able to finally turn on the computer after charging the battery, so now I have to take it to some computer place I found which specializes in old Macs and hope that they can somehow transfer these files for me to a more modern form or at the least print them out. When I finally get this writing sample/ report and send it off to where it needs to go, I intend to attach a note that reads:"Here is the writing sample you requested. Kindly take it and shove it!":D

I hope no one else has to go through this.

If the paper is marked up w/ comments, why not just re-type? Or is it too lengthy?