'08 Application Vent Thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would just like to vent that I am freaking out about all of this. Terrified of getting in and not. I have to be sending out apps tomorrow and it makes me want to cry and avoid it entirely.

But I will do what I need to anyway. Time to put on the big girl panties.

Members don't see this ad.

I would just like to vent that I am freaking out about all of this. Terrified of getting in and not. I have to be sending out apps tomorrow and it makes me want to cry and avoid it entirely.

Stop worrying about it... if you fail to get in, you get to try again. It's not like they execute you for failing to get in. It took me two times in the process and to be honest, I actually got into a better school for me because of it. Would I have liked to have made it my first shot, ya, but it was better that I didn't get in when I only had one interview.

If I had gotten in my first time, I had a phone interview with Michigan State University and a sit down with Oklahoma State University. Best case, I would have been in at MSU, which I would have been happy at, but wasn't as good of a deal as what I got. More likely, I would have been getting in at OSU, one of my safety schools... YUCK, Stillwater, OK. I mean the dept was cool and the profs decent... but stillwater, OK... ummm not so much a place for me. The mall there consisted of the one Walmart store. Sad thing is that I was desperate to get in somewhere. Don't do that, don't feel as if it is the end of the world if you don't get in. I would not have been happy at OSU.

My second year applying went so much better than my first and I was accepted into some excellent programs. Did it suck to do apps twice, yes it did. The end result was worth every penny I am banking because of it.

Mark

I hear you on this - loud and clear. I'm in the midst of the process too, and I've never done anything that was quite this nerve-wracking for such a long extended period of time before. I fear that it gets worse before it gets better. But I think that's why I spend a lot of time hanging around this forum. Cynics call it "misery loves company," but psychologists call it "social support"!

Members don't see this ad :)
Stop worrying about it...

haha, are you going into practice? jk :p

I remember that feeling. It's really impossible not to have some concern--you're finding out whether you get to do what you wanted for the next half dozen years, or if you have to spend an entire year waiting and then reapplying and maybe just getting the same result. It actually gets worse after interviews, in my experience. You might not get as many interviews as you anticipated, and if the first thing you hear back from interviews is negative, it's really scary. My first interview was at an almost-safety school, and I did NOT fit in there. I was quickly rejected and was very concerned that the same thing would happen everywhere else (it didn't :)). SDN can be stress relief, as can any other students also applying--non-psych people don't understand the pain of application time! Other than that, I made sure not to let my normal routines slip (keep paying attention to your classes, get to the gym, that sort of thing).

Good luck, people who are applying this year!

I still recount the application process as THE singular most stressful undertaking of my life. It is such an emotional rollercoaster. This forum can be very helpful, but a warning: last year, there was a thread that people posted on as soon as they had received an interview or an acceptance and it was updated almost hourly. I used to check it obsessively and get upset if someone else had an interview at a school I had applied for, even if it wasn't one of my top choices. Don't be me. Sit back, try to relax, and see what happens. Absolute worst case scenario, you are in the same place you are in right now for another year. That's not so bad.

Good luck and hang in there!

Also, interviews don't *always* happen on the same day for everyone....so just because someone else has one scheduled, doesn't mean you missed. Often times you can get bumped into an interview if people turn down their spots.

-t

Looking through old forum posts, I'm actually looking forward to that thread getting started. Checking obsessively may not be the healthiest thing in the world, but I think knowing that I'm out of the running for a school (e.g., interviews went out several weeks ago and I haven't heard any word) would actually reduce my stress a lot more than being totally in the dark. I think threads like that give people a way to channel their anxiety. If you're going to be obsessing about it anyway (because let's be serious here, I know I will), may as well do it with people in the same boat.

[T4C Therapy Voice] People find comfort in commonality, especially when confronted with anxiety, so providing a forum for discussion can offer positive support and validation. [/T4C Therapy Voice]

-t

[T4C Therapy Voice] People find comfort in commonality, especially when confronted with anxiety, so providing a forum for discussion can offer positive support and validation. [/T4C Therapy Voice]

-t

Thank you, T4C. I feel validated by that.

:laugh:

I did the obsessive checking thing last year and found both frustration and comfort. In the end, however, knowing is better than not knowing. Those of us who were wait-listed last year understand the complete trauma of limbo.

Here's the thing I did when I was at that stressful "OMG what if I don't get in?" place. Imagine the worst: you don't get any interviews, and you don't get accepted anywhere. Okay, now what? Well, as the OP of this question said, you put on your big-girl pants (or big-boy pants as the case may be) and you make some decisions about your upcoming year. Do you try again? Do you work on your research? Do you move to the Bahamas and forget you ever cared about Psychology? :rolleyes:

The thing is that life goes on one way or the other. Everyone who has applied this year has worked really hard to put themselves in the best possible position. There are so many of you!! It's very competitive and you are competing with the best of the best at your level. Just because you don't get in this year doesn't lessen your worth and doesn't devalue your accomplishments to this point. It also doesn't mean that you won't get in on the second try.

It's all in how you frame it.

Now after all that talk from the soapbox, I am fully well aware that it's easy to say and much tougher to do. Just know that everyone here has a thorough understanding of what you are going through...that helped me last year more than anything else! :love:

Today I am excited because I sent off 4 of my packets! I am almost 1/3 of the way done.
w00t!

I've been working on this bloody process for so long and with so little sleep now that it has ceased to feel like it's for an ultimate goal. The idea that it's connected with possibly going to grad school doesn't feel real. It just feels like I'm putting myself through this horribly tortuous process on some mysterious masochistic whim. How jolly.

I'm beginning to think that the waiting game is going to be more of a challenge for me then the actual application process; at least before I had deadlines and goals and things to do. Now all I can do is think : )

Members don't see this ad :)
I completely agree! At first I think 'ok...the hardest part is the essays/SOPs and making sure everything gets in on time and to the right place'....but then once it's there....freak out time! I'm getting way too paranoid - I use my cell phone as my regular phone number and I generally don't answer numbers I don't know so now I jump everytime a number comes in with an area code I don't recognize! :p

I'm kind of excited when it comes time to put up a thread listing who has sent out interview offers and such but I know I'll be even more nervous then b/c I'll want to check it obsessively to see if any of my schools are listed on there!

I'm getting way too paranoid - I use my cell phone as my regular phone number and I generally don't answer numbers I don't know so now I jump everytime a number comes in with an area code I don't recognize! :p

Too funny! The same thing happened to me with an area code from NYC, it ended up being some shoe store that had my number : ( lol.

While this is kind of a no-brainer this time of year, just a reminder that snail mail is taking a LONG TIME to get through. I know a lot of apps can be submitted online (or can be overnighted for those of us who are a bit more paranoid about it getting there on time and want to track it... :p) but keep it in mind when requesting transcripts and LORs that have to be sent directly from the institution/letter writer. I had two transcripts sent on 11/19/2007. The first one, which would normally take two days to get there, took ten days. The second one, which would normally take about five days to get there (being sent from a different institution), still has not arrived. Thankfully that deadline isn't til Dec. 30 and usually schools are a little more flexible with deadlines when it comes to transcripts being sent by institutions and LORs coming directly from the letter writers.

Long story short, if you (or your letter writers or universities) have to send anything via snail mail DO IT EARLY!!! REALLY EARLY! And use UPS/FedEx/etc when possible so it gets there faster and you can track it and make sure it gets there when it is supposed to! :p

My last 4 apps went in yesterday!! I am done and now I am officially in the waiting stage.

....big sigh of relief.

My last 4 apps went in yesterday!! I am done and now I am officially in the waiting stage.

....big sigh of relief.

Congratulations! I'm about halfway there. Hoping to join you in the waiting area soon...

I wonder if the reason Psychology departments set their deadlines right around the holidays and the new year (the most busy time of year, when mail is at its slowest) is because the professors are typically lonely people who are afraid they will not get any presents or mail this time of year. This way they do not feel neglected.

Even worse, and something about which I have no explanation, is having interviews in in the months of February and March. The national weather is terrible, flights are delayed, driving can be treacherous, and the school campuses look their worst. The school having been doing this for years and most do not even seem to anticipate people having trouble getting places in the bad weather. If you ask them what the back-up date is for snow storms, they generally do not have one. Once, due to a snow storm I had to spend two extra days in a city after visiting a school. Fortunately, I knew people there.

....big sigh of relief.

Woah! Socialcog, good for you! That's crazy you are all done. I still have 13 to go- 9 of which are due next Saturday. God help me!

Woah! Socialcog, good for you! That's crazy you are all done. I still have 13 to go- 9 of which are due next Saturday. God help me!

You've got this Ducky, no pressure. Do the important ones last. You'll find that anything you screw up on the first ones that you are more likely to catch on later apps.

Mark

You guys will be fine with your deadlines. It's my strong suspician that all/most of us are resourceful beyond the top of the bell curve and will get the apps in on time....at the very least.
:)

I'm with you Ducky! I still have 11 to go :) but the first (small) batch went out on time and the next set is almost ready to go!

I just wanted to remind everyone: Check your application status! For every school!
I checked with most of my schools today, and my number one choice was missing:
A recommendation
A scholarship form
AND MY FLIPPIN GRE SCORES!!!!!

wow, I HATE ETS. I took my GRE's in AUGUST!!! Is there someone I can call, and talk to rather than those stupid voice recordings? Or would it just be worthwhile for me to pay the money, and resend them. And if I do this, how long does it take for them to reach the school? ANY advice would be awesome right now, as I'm experiencing a small application meltdown, as I thought everything was done.

call the number for general test information and you can eventually talk to a real person.

I just wanted to remind everyone: Check your application status! For every school!
A recommendation
A scholarship form

wow, I HATE ETS. I took my GRE's in AUGUST!!! Is there someone I can call, and talk to rather than those stupid voice recordings? Or would it just be worthwhile for me to pay the money, and resend them. And if I do this, how long does it take for them to reach the school? ANY advice would be awesome right now, as I'm experiencing a small application meltdown, as I thought everything was done.

ETS is worthless. I would send them as quickly as possible. You probably will be ok unless the deadline is before DEC 15th. Remember it's unlikely that these schools are going to look over the apps over xmas break itself. If it were me, and my #1 choice. Yes, I would pay the money to resend.

To be fair, they know things get screwed up. I would fax them a copy and tell them that you had your scores resent and ask to talk to the graduate secretary or program director. It is unlikely that you will be punished for ETS's mistake. Communication is the key, especially since this is your number one choice.

Mark

I wonder if the reason Psychology departments set their deadlines right around the holidays and the new year (the most busy time of year, when mail is at its slowest) is because the professors are typically lonely people who are afraid they will not get any presents or mail this time of year. This way they do not feel neglected.

I put this in my fave quotes on facebook. Hope you don't mind.

In continuation with ETC complaints...when you request scores to be sent to schools (assuming you check all boxes so that verbal, quantitative, analytical, and subject scores are all sent), would they ever send subject scores under separate cover? I thought they put it all on one page, but I just checked the status of one of my applications and it says that my standard GRE scores have been received but my subject scores have not been received. wtf??

I put this in my fave quotes on facebook. Hope you don't mind.

Thank you. I am flattered. Maybe someday I will actually visit facebook - the news about it scares me too much.

A recommendation
A scholarship form

I am sure all of you know this but depending on the particular school, to get the GRE scores to go to the right place you either have to put 1. the general school number or 2. the general school number and the additional department code of psychology. Leaving out the department code or putting it in when it is not needed sends the scores to the wrong location even if it is at the correct school. Once I called a school and finally located my test scores in some department to which I did not apply. They were kind enough to send them over to the correct department. Also, according to ETS some schools receive score reports individually while other receive them only once or twice a month.

I once came up with the idea, to insure my application would get to its correct destination and would be paid attention to, of sending the entire thing via singing telegram - probably either the singing stripper or the singing gorilla!:laugh:

When do people generally hear back from schools about interviews? If a school is interested in you for an interview, do they call you by phone? email? If so, who contacts you? The professor? The graduate school?

If they are interested in an interview, does that mean they have pretty much decided they would like to work with you? or is the interview a large part of their decision process?

Socialcog, your questions are a bit hard to answer, just because there is generally no hard and fast rule. In my experience, my primary person contacted me to say that I was granted an interview, although sometimes this contact came as an e-mail and/or was from an adminstrator. As far how important the interview is, it's by no means a guarantee (at least in clinical, where they often interview before extending an offer). How "important" it is really depends on how many other people your PI brings in. If it's 4 people for one slot, your odds are 1/4 ... if more spots or fewer people are brought in, it's obviously better. The reality is you are probably "competing" against the other people your PI has brought in, although you may also be competing against other clinical students if your PI isn't guaranteed a spot.

When do people generally hear back from schools about interviews? If a school is interested in you for an interview, do they call you by phone? email? If so, who contacts you? The professor? The graduate school?

If they are interested in an interview, does that mean they have pretty much decided they would like to work with you? or is the interview a large part of their decision process?

See above... in addition.

If you have not heard by early to mid February... that's a grim sign in most cases. Ask to know what the interview day is at each program, you will likely hear a minimum of 3 weeks prior to that date and usually no more than 4 weeks prior to that date. Don't be afraid to call up and ask for these dates and don't be afraid to insure that your applications are complete.

Normally you will be contacted by email, occassionally by phone, sometimes both. You will likely be contacted either by the graduate school secretary, a graduate student, or a professor of interest. (usually grad school sec and a graduate student.) If you have a relationship with a particular professor, they will likely call with the good news themselves. I was contacted my no less than 4 professors directly and probably about 9 graduate student secretaries and one retired naval officer who was the program recruiting director.

The interview is huge! You WILL be competing with at least one other person for a slot and sometimes as many as 4 others. On average, 3:1 or 4:1 were the odds on interview day. Don't worry about that though, just let that go, worrying about others isn't gonna help you.

Mark

Last year, three of my schools had preliminary phone interviews in mid-January to Feb. About a week after those interviews, I was invited for an in-person interview. Two schools did only phone interviews, both around the same time. Two others just invited me down for the interview day without a phone interview, again in mid-Jan to Feb. Everyone sent me an e-mail before they called to make sure I'd be home at that time. So, I guess you get the usual but disappointing answer of "it depends"! As for time till you hear back, the first two schools I interviewed at got back to me within a week and a half.

In all but one instance my POI contacted me, but the program's director will also e-mail you to coordinate for interview day (picking people up at the airport, graduate student sleep-overs, etc.).

My interview groups were small, and in all but one I didn't have anyone vying for the same prof. Talking to others at the interviews, however, this apparently isn't a standard thing--I was hearing stories about 20+ apps being invited down to fill 4 spots, or worse.

I'll definitely add to the "it depends" camp when you will hear about an interview, or how soon you will hear back.

I got an interview in the middle of the country last year, and I live on the West Coast. I was given less than two weeks notice that I was being offered an interview. I was offered an interview after someone(s) else had turned one down (thanks for the ego boost), and although I contacted the department a couple times after my interview to see if a decision had been made, I was rejected on April 1st. It SUCKED. I didn't even want to go there after I had interviewed, but I had to wait all that time!

It is entirely possible, also, to be considered or put on a wait list even though you were not offered an interview. This is less likely, but possible. A professor may interview 4 people, but may not find any of them to be a good match...who to draw from then? The applicants who didn't interview. It's a really weird process.

thanks for sharing your experiences. This is helpful in managing my expectations.

See above... in addition.

If you have not heard by early to mid February... that's a grim sign in most cases. Ask to know what the interview day is at each program, you will likely hear a minimum of 3 weeks prior to that date and usually no more than 4 weeks prior to that date. Don't be afraid to call up and ask for these dates and don't be afraid to insure that your applications are complete.

by stalking my programs' websites i've found that a couple of them already have up their interview dates in feb/march 2008 in their calendar of events. so you can check and see.

and i'd also like to reiterate: Call your programs to ensure they've received all your application materials!
I've started calling around and one school hadn't received 1 letter of recommendation even though i posted all three at the same time. They gave me fax/email info to pass on to my prof. So call, call, call!

by stalking my programs' websites i've found that a couple of them already have up their interview dates in feb/march 2008 in their calendar of events. so you can check and see.

and i'd also like to reiterate: Call your programs to ensure they've received all your application materials!
I've started calling around and one school hadn't received 1 letter of recommendation even though i posted all three at the same time. They gave me fax/email info to pass on to my prof. So call, call, call!

I just called one of my top programs and was told they had received the last of my materials 2 days before the deadline. I am so jazzed!!

At another school, I had a meeting yesterday with my top choice for an advisor. Had a fun and inspiring chat about science. Discussed some interesting directions to take one of her research domains. yay!

I am so excited by this process!! :laugh:

The lady at the post office and I have developed a personal relationship. She likes opera and thinks I should go to UCLA because it's warm there.
What are people's thoughts on sending CVs and writing samples to places that don't ask for them?

Ooh, good question. I'd be interested to hear what others thought. I sent my CV, a writing sample, and an extra LoR to one school that did not ask, but only because I knew a student who was accepted last year who sent these these things-- I figured it couldn't have hurt *her* application too badly and may have actually helped. I refrained from doing so to other programs, because I wasn't sure how they'd be received; it might just look like you didn't read the application procedures carefully, which could be a strike against you.

i sent my CV to every school, only because i'm hoping my research experience will be my saving grace. I didnt send a writing sample because my SoP was 4 pages long and i figured they'd be sick of my writing after that. And, I only sent 3 LoR (the requested amount) and now I wish that they only asked for 2 because I read the last one and it was so badly written (grammatically) I feel like it'll reflect badly on me.

i sent my CV to every school, only because i'm hoping my research experience will be my saving grace. I didnt send a writing sample because my SoP was 4 pages long and i figured they'd be sick of my writing after that. And, I only sent 3 LoR (the requested amount) and now I wish that they only asked for 2 because I read the last one and it was so badly written (grammatically) I feel like it'll reflect badly on me.

I really hated to have to send letters blind without knowing the content. I don't think a poorly written letter hurts as much as one that is lukewarm about your potential to contribute to a program.

Mark

Venting AND asking for help in one go. I have absolutely no idea what to do here.

I'm applying to clinical psych Ph.D. programs. One such program is in my geographic area and has applications due on Monday. I am handing in the application to the admission co-ordinator's mailbox tomorrow. I talked to a professor I'm interested in working with last month; we had a brief discussion about research interests, and I told him about a project I'm currently conducting. He said it sounded really interesting, asked how far we were on the data collection, and told me to let him know how it was going by including a discussion of the project and an update with my application.

It's a somewhat complicated project, and in order for him to understand it completely the description and preliminary results need to be about one single-spaced page long (550 words).

The application has a "Training and Experience" section (no guidelines as to length or format) and a "Goals" section (where they specifically ask about *future* research interests. Here are my options, as I see them:

1) Include a description of the project and preliminary findings in the "Training and Experience" section. This would be about a page long.
2) Include a description of the project and preliminary findings in the "Training and Experience" section. Also send the professor an email letting him know that I submitted my application and he can read about preliminary findings in the app.
3) Include a description of the project and preliminary findings and just attach it to the application, like a writing sample (they do not ask for a writing sample).
4) E-mail the professor directly with the page-long update, and also mention that I've submitted my application. Include a brief and simplified description of the project with the application.

Suggestions?

4) E-mail the professor directly with the page-long update, and also mention that I've submitted my application. Include a brief and simplified description of the project with the application.

Suggestions?

I like number 4 the best. A simple update seems appropriate. Remember preliminary data may be the property of your PI and you may not be authorized to share too much. So be careful in how much you actually disclose. You want him to understand what kind of work you are doing but you don't want to overstep your bounds either.

Mark

Agreed. Even if you send everything in one nice organized/labeled packet, call and check anyway (or check your status online if the program offers that option). For one of my schools this year, I sent in everything together, it was all labeled and organized clearly but they somehow managed to lose or misplace half of it and informed me that my application was incomplete. I contacted them and explained where the stuff was (ie Item X is on the page entitled "Supplemental Application"). And they said they didn't get my psych GRE scores but they did have my general GRE scores but...all scores are on one page. Within 24 hours of contacting them, my application status was upgraded to "complete" :p

SO...in a nutshell, even if you sent everything together in one nice packet, double check to make sure they actually see all the info!

Thanks, Mark-- I went with #4. I appreciate the feedback; I know it's stupid but when you're engaged in the process every little detail can seem huge and important and capable of making or breaking your application, and I really really want to get in this year. Plus, this is my top-choice school. :) Thanks again!

Called one program today (my deadlines all start in January).

They have everything but my letters of recommendation! Grrrr! One LOR writer did email me and tell me she sent it today, so that's good. And granted, they have until December 30th, but geeez. :(

Called one program today (my deadlines all start in January).

They have everything but my letters of recommendation! Grrrr! One LOR writer did email me and tell me she sent it today, so that's good. And granted, they have until December 30th, but geeez. :(

It's like herding cats...

Mark