'08 Application Vent Thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My grandmother asked me tonight, "So, can't you send all your schools a reminder or something? Why haven't they gotten back to you yet?"

None are even listed in the invite thread.

As if I'm not under enough pressure, now my grandmother's on my case. :(

Ugh - no fun! :thumbdown: My grandma isn't on my case, but I think way too many people are asking the dreaded question "So...what are you going to do after graduation?"....I wish I knew! I know what I *WANT* to do but that doesn't mean I'll *GET* to do it. :scared:

I think there should be a new diagnosis for DSM V focusing on application-induced paranoia/depression/OCD/etc :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Ugh - no fun! :thumbdown: My grandma isn't on my case, but I think way too many people are asking the dreaded question "So...what are you going to do after graduation?"....I wish I knew! I know what I *WANT* to do but that doesn't mean I'll *GET* to do it. :scared:

I think there should be a new diagnosis for DSM V focusing on application-induced paranoia/depression/OCD/etc :laugh:

No doubt eh?!

I really wish people would stop telling me that I will get in this year and stop worrying. I am seriously starting to want to throw things at my sister in law for doing this. People don't seem to get it when I explain that the admissions rates are only between 5-8% and that the vast majority of the applicants have had similar experiences and scores. "ohhh, but don't worry WK, they have to take you :mad:" Grrrr.

I feel sick. I can't stop obsessively checking my email and SDN. I need to figure out how to relax or it is going to be a long couple months

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel sick. I can't stop obsessively checking my email and SDN. I need to figure out how to relax or it is going to be a long couple months

I'm not sure if you can go outside, but that always helped me. I took a Dilbert-like job during my application year (2-3 hours of actual work per day), and I use to hit golf balls at the range and/or play a round of golf to get my mind off of it...up to 4-5 times per week. Of course, from Dec-Feb. I was the only idiot out there with gloves, a scarf, and hand warmers trying to play....but I figured possible hypothermia was preferred to a more certain flogging of my liver. Ironically I ended up in FL and I played more golf in the snow that year than I have in 4 years down here. :(

-t

Argh - I shouldn't have come on here and looked at the Interview thread - I've stayed off this site entirely since I finished my apps - I didn't want to even think about, but today I yielded to temptation and took a look on my break. Now I'm completely freaked out, particularly since someone got an invite from their POI to interview at a program that I not only applied to, but also currently work at as an RA for my POI. I don't know that it was an invite for the same professor, but I'm freaking out anyway. I'm currently sitting in our lab with one of the grad students and am so tempted to ask if she knows if our professor has sent out invites yet. I won't, of course, since it would inappropriate and also uncomfotable for her and she's really cool. I do want to bang my head against a wall though, preferably while screaming bloody murder.

I am also really feeling the anxiety. I have a job in research but currently I am crunching statistics and looking at SAS coding....and checking my email and this forum compulsively. It is definetly going to be a long couple of weeks....

Have faith my friend!

Wow - just looked at who all is on right now - 70 people are in the forum!!! 21 members signed in, 48 guests, plust T4C. Maybe that's the norm, I dunno - it just seems really high for 70 people to be on at once though given that invites are coming out and people (myself included) want to know which ones have gone out, it makes sense :) Anyway, was just shocked that so many people are on all at once this afternoon :p

As an aside...feeling extra paranoid today (wanting to check e-mail more than usual). On a positive note (knock on wood) the vast majority of the schools I applied to aren't on the list yet so it appears as though there is still plenty of time...but still very anxious to get an invite! Any invite! :p

Argh - I shouldn't have come on here and looked at the Interview thread - I've stayed off this site entirely since I finished my apps - I didn't want to even think about, but today I yielded to temptation and took a look on my break. Now I'm completely freaked out, particularly since someone got an invite from their POI to interview at a program that I not only applied to, but also currently work at as an RA for my POI. I don't know that it was an invite for the same professor, but I'm freaking out anyway. I'm currently sitting in our lab with one of the grad students and am so tempted to ask if she knows if our professor has sent out invites yet. I won't, of course, since it would inappropriate and also uncomfotable for her and she's really cool. I do want to bang my head against a wall though, preferably while screaming bloody murder.

You could private message that person and ask if your POI is the same... That's what I've been doing. :)

You could private message that person and ask if your POI is the same... That's what I've been doing. :)

Heh - I totally did, but I haven't heard back yet. Funny - that sums up life right now - 'haven't heard back yet'.

Blah, there are 2 programs on the list that I applied to but have no theard from, Clark and Virginia Commonwealth (clinical).

I did hear from another program, but it was to say that I won't have a chance at a spot for the track I applied to, but asked if they can consider me for the "1 or 2 open slots" in their other track (still clinical Ph.D.). As much as it sucks, its at least encouraging that my application is *somewhat* competitive somewhere...

:scared:

If it helps, MSU was just added today and I know of previous cycle applicants that heard from their programs days and even weeks after it was first posted on the invite thread!

Thanks. I'm trying to stay positive (I mean, there could be more than one interview day, profs on the fence, etc.), but you know how it is.

Good luck to all of you still applying!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just checked with the secretary at the school I work at and applied to - interview invites have for sure all been sent out. I really thought I'd at least get an interview in the lab that I bloody work in. I guess not. I have to admit - this kind of dashes all my hopes to the ground. I guess I better get trucking on research to boost my apps for next year.

I just checked with the secretary at the school I work at and applied to - interview invites have for sure all been sent out. I really thought I'd at least get an interview in the lab that I bloody work in. I guess not. I have to admit - this kind of dashes all my hopes to the ground. I guess I better get trucking on research to boost my apps for next year.

Wow. That really sucks. I am so sorry to hear you didn't get extended an invite to your VERY OWN LAB. But you've applied to other programs, right? Maybe you should talk to the prof who supervises you to find out what you could have done to strengthen your app.

Wow, that's harsh! Did you do your undergrad there? Maybe they are like some schools who won't accept their own students to their grad programs.

Sorry to hear this.

Wow. That really sucks. I am so sorry to hear you didn't get extended an invite to your VERY OWN LAB. But you've applied to other programs, right? Maybe you should talk to the prof who supervises you to find out what you could have done to strengthen your app.

It totally, totally does. There's about 7 of the 13 schools I applied to that aren't up on the interview thread yet. I suppose I shouldn't give up hope yet.
I'm trying to figure out appropriateness for talking to my prof about it, although he did say ages ago in the process, that if I didn't get into any of the schools I wanted to get into, that I should stay here and do research and get published and get into every school I applied to the next year. (Sweet, if not necessarily realistic.) I think that's a pretty telling comment right there. I know I'm weak on the research front though - so it's not much of a shocker.
I'm torn between just doing more research as I was planning, or doing that and asking about application weaknesses. The really ****ty part is not knowing if it's just my app that worked against me, or if I did something wrong in my job or behavior, or there's something else I could have done better in said job to be considered. It makes it way more personal and a knock to the self-esteem, yaknow? Particularly since I really respect and like my prof. I know there's no use fretting about something I can't know the answer to, but I'm having a hard time not doing it anyway.
Oh, and no, I didn't do my undergrad here, so that's not an issue.

kestrelcry, only you know your prof and your lab dynamics, but i know in my lab, and in the many jobs i have had in the "real" world, it is appropriate to, even just once a year, have a conversation with your supervisor about your performance and progress, and both of your workplace and professional goals. in offices and organizations, that conversation was often formalized into a yearly review, and i haven't found that in labs, but that doesn't necessarialy mean that it's not appropriate, and suggesting such a conversation can reflect your maturity, professionalism, and commitment to your work.

good luck - don't give up on those 7 that are up, and you still have 6 others. all you need is one acceptance!

Please don't be too crushed by this. It is very rare for someone (especially clinical) to get accepted into their UG lab for graduate studies. The DCT at my UG explained this tendency by stating that Universities want to be able to show that they can attract students from all types of other Universities, in and out of the U.S. If they accept many (or any) of their own students they are perceived as raising a "farm team" and as unable to have a high enough quality program as to attract students from outside their University.

In addition, it's a better experience for students to get out of their UG institution and gain new insights from a new faculty when they are in graduate school. Your views will broaden with a new set of professors...it's just good all the way around.

Good luck with your other applications! :luck:

Please don't be too crushed by this. It is very rare for someone (especially clinical) to get accepted into their UG lab for graduate studies. The DCT at my UG explained this tendency by stating that Universities want to be able to show that they can attract students from all types of other Universities, in and out of the U.S. If they accept many (or any) of their own students they are perceived as raising a "farm team" and as unable to have a high enough quality program as to attract students from outside their University.

In addition, it's a better experience for students to get out of their UG institution and gain new insights from a new faculty when they are in graduate school. Your views will broaden with a new set of professors...it's just good all the way around.

Good luck with your other applications! :luck:

Thank you for the good wishes! Sadly enough, the lab's not at my undergraduate institution, so I don't have that excuse for myself. I'd feel much about the whole thing if it was, not to mention the fact that I'd be applying for programs at 21, rather than 29. Ah well - I'll just have to work on not taking it too personally.

Thank you for the good wishes! Sadly enough, the lab's not at my undergraduate institution, so I don't have that excuse for myself. I'd feel much about the whole thing if it was, not to mention the fact that I'd be applying for programs at 21, rather than 29. Ah well - I'll just have to work on not taking it too personally.

well, im not having much luck and im only 20! ahh.

there is something stressy about having to factor fertility and family planning into the whole grad school equation.

there is something stressy about having to factor fertility and family planning into the whole grad school equation.

Ack - I can't imagine having to deal with that on top of everthing else. My sympathies.

I am starting to crack under the stress of all this... it isn't just the "not getting in/ acceptance limbo" that is driving me bomp-o, but also the complete delay in my personal and professional life. I have a job I like; I don't want to invest everthing into my position for fear that I will have to uproot in, like, a few months... then it is the moving costs, and the personal toll this will take when I heave-ho from my relationship and friends.... JUST GIVE ME AN ANSWER DAMNIT.... these schools blow with teeth...

My second vent... I hate.... h-a-t-e.... that I keep hearing so much about the damn GRE! I am not a good test taker, never have been, and I would hope that some schools have the foresight to see that it is a shot in the dark for some of us who take that test... never did I think those numbers would dictate so much of my little life! My favorite vent.... ETS says the GRE will predict how well someone does in Graduate School... being I already have a Master's, and did well, I get even more angry when I read those three little numbers.... the are a poor representation of an individual!

Does anyone else have a comment on either of the above!!!!!!!!!! It is driving me CRAZY!

Rainbows and Puppies,
Graz

I am starting to crack under the stress of all this... it isn't just the "not getting in/ acceptance limbo" that is driving me bomp-o, but also the complete delay in my personal and professional life. I have a job I like; I don't want to invest everthing into my position for fear that I will have to uproot in, like, a few months... then it is the moving costs, and the personal toll this will take when I heave-ho from my relationship and friends.... JUST GIVE ME AN ANSWER DAMNIT.... these schools blow with teeth...

My second vent... I hate.... h-a-t-e.... that I keep hearing so much about the damn GRE! I am not a good test taker, never have been, and I would hope that some schools have the foresight to see that it is a shot in the dark for some of us who take that test... never did I think those numbers would dictate so much of my little life! My favorite vent.... ETS says the GRE will predict how well someone does in Graduate School... being I already have a Master's, and did well, I get even more angry when I read those three little numbers.... the are a poor representation of an individual!

Does anyone else have a comment on either of the above!!!!!!!!!! It is driving me CRAZY!

Rainbows and Puppies,
Graz

I love that ETS says that the GRE will predict how well somone does in Grad School cause there is actually a lot of research that counters that. I believe Sternberg published research on GRE scores back in 1997 saying that the Analytical section was the only subset that predicted student performance but that was only true for the men - there was no prediction for women (boo).

Rainbows and Puppies,
Graz

I hate the GRE too, with a passion. I too have a master's and did well in it. I had to take the GRE twice to get somewhat acceptable scores so my applications wouldn't be an automatic toss. My math score though... it's troubling. I would like to know however, just when in my research and clinical life will I EVER have to know how to find the angles of some object or the absolute value of something??? When on earth will I have to know how to find the volume of a cylinder or a cube?

It's all a money grab for ETS I reckon and an easy way for grad committees to reduce numbers.

I love that ETS says that the GRE will predict how well somone does in Grad School cause there is actually a lot of research that counters that. I believe Sternberg published research on GRE scores back in 1997 saying that the Analytical section was the only subset that predicted student performance but that was only true for the men - there was no prediction for women (boo).

LOL, The only thing the GRE predicts is who is gonna get into graduate school, and when they do well, then they predict it must have worked just like they planned.

Mark

Rainbows and Puppies,
Graz

Graz, TOTALLY hear ya, on BOTH these.
I LOVE my job keep making two sets of decisions about everything the "if i get into grad school" decision and the "if i don't get into grad school" decision... Apartment too, my lease is up in May and i don't know whether to renew it or not, i have to let them know 3 months in advance if i wanna keep the place... UGH.

Re: GREs: TRUE THAT! I wholeheartedly believe it's the GREs that are holding me back. Otherwise, i'm a very strong candidate... but i won't even be considered because i'll automatically be placed into the "haha i can't believe she applied with THOSE scores" category.

Someone earlier mentioned how everyone keeps telling them, "oh don't worry about it, you'll get in" YEA, totally hear that one too! I hate how little people understand about this process because that makes the rejection that much harder. No matter how smart or successful someone is, they don't necessarily "get in" - UGH! I hate this process. This thread helps though :)

Good luck everyone :)

Re: GREs: TRUE THAT! I wholeheartedly believe it's the GREs that are holding me back. Otherwise, i'm a very strong candidate... but i won't even be considered because i'll automatically be placed into the "haha i can't believe she applied with THOSE scores" category.

Good luck everyone :)

Well you have two choices... Accept your GRE scores, or change them. Changing your scores is NOT easy, but it is possible. I was able to take reasonable HORRIBLE GRE practice scores and translate them into some thing DECENT. Going from high 900's to consistent 1300's on the practice tests took a good 6 months of work.

So if you don't like your GRE's, do something about it. I know some people have taken it multiple times, and had no change, but I don't know how they prepped for it. I only know that I was able to make serious in-roads.

Mark

Well you have two choices... Accept your GRE scores, or change them. Changing your scores is NOT easy, but it is possible. I was able to take reasonable HORRIBLE GRE practice scores and translate them into some thing DECENT. Going from high 900's to consistent 1300's on the practice tests took a good 6 months of work.

So if you don't like your GRE's, do something about it. I know some people have taken it multiple times, and had no change, but I don't know how they prepped for it. I only know that I was able to make serious in-roads.

Mark

With all do respect Mark (and I know I speak for other people in this thread who just commented on this)... Many of us tried on repeat to raise em' up.... Personally: The Princeton Review Prep Class... didn't help. I also spent over 8 months preparing for a test that I knew from the outset was not ever going to be an accurate reflection of my abilities.

I always have a hearty chuckle when people provide the smirk response of "Do something about it" or "Just try harder." Some of us... self included... are just not good test takers.... After years of thinking I could "improve" my SAT scores... I decided that maybe the test... and not the test taker... needs improving.

I remain hopeful that a school out there will realize that I am a dedicated student who truly cares about the profession. I also take comfort in thinking that that school will be the best fit for my study... they are the most likely to see who I am as an individual (that sounds so after-school special, but I mean it!)

How novel... looking at my grades AND experience to get an accurate picture of who I am... some crazy stuff....

I'd still count it as an excuse. The well-rounded experience of working with different schools/professors/labs still seems to apply in your situation. Don't worry about it; honestly, one of the least likely places you could get in is the place you're already at.

Personally: The Princeton Review Prep Class... didn't help. I also spent over 8 months preparing for a test that I knew from the outset was not ever going to be an accurate reflection of my abilities.

The Princeton Review does one major thing, and a couple of minor things. The major thing is it forces you to study. I took a condensed course over the summer... twice a week, three hours a night, probably 20-25 hours a week of studying outside of that. I was working full time at the time, but not taking any classes. For the vocab prep, I read vocab words into a mic, made mp3s of them, put them on my iPod, and bored the hell out of myself every day during my commutes.

The minor things are basics that you may have forgotten. Special triangles, process of elimination, word roots, stuff like that. Also, it teaches you the importance of getting the early questions right, because of the computer adaptive system.

I took the GREs three times, twice under the old system (paper, V/Q/A), and once over the summer (computerized, V/Q/W). My scores on the old tests were lackluster... taking the best sections, I almost, but didn't, crack 2000 combined. With the new one, low 700s for both and a 5.5. Meaning, good enough to keep me out of auto-reject for GRE scores for everywhere I'm applying.

The other thing is, Princeton Review seems to be more geared to raising the scores of the middle-candidates. It won't raise you from a 700 to an 800. It may help you get from a 650 to a 700, it may be best at getting someone from a 550 to a 620 in a section.

All that said, I still think the GRE is a crappy test, predictive of nothing. Same with the GMAT. LSAT actually has some predictive value, and the MCAT tests knowledge of science, so that's something legit.

On the whole, I think the GRE is trying to get at how likely a person is to succeed in grad school. Which it doesn't seem to do. It's like trying to extrapolate how well someone will drive an 18 wheeler based on how well they do on a written driving permit test for passenger cars.

anyone have it where you call admissions to make sure all your app. info has arrived, and they tell you that they are too busy with all the admissions insanity to check your file but they will and will call you back...and don't?

i had that with one of my schools, and just got through (now 2 weeks past deadline) and it turns out ets never sent my scores! they now won't review my application with the others, only after they finish with the "completed" apps. grrrrr! i am FURIOUS. they are resending the scores for free (there were other schools, same situation, except their admit officers did tell me or email me, to let me know the scores never arrived.) i sent the scores 3 times for one school!!!! this is the 4th! i've 2x checked the codes and everything. another growl. i just wish that the scores could be sent directly to me, in a sealed envelope, like a LOR or a transcript, and I could be the one responsible for getting them to my programs.

seriously, that one app. may have been for naught, thanks to ets. i could have spent that app. fee on some serious wine! or bourbon.

Last edited by kyril : Today at 01:24 PM. Reason: rage ate my grammar

rage ate my grammar?! hahahaha!! :laugh: that's great!

LOL, The only thing the GRE predicts is who is gonna get into graduate school, and when they do well, then they predict it must have worked just like they planned.

Mark

haha. Classic.
Also, sooo true! :laugh:

How come no one sues ETS when they screw up so many people's applications and possibly cause many people to get rejected because their GRE scores didn't make it in time? And while offering crappy service ETS still continues to overcharge us for everything.

With all do respect Mark (and I know I speak for other people in this thread who just commented on this)... Many of us tried on repeat to raise em' up.... Personally: The Princeton Review Prep Class... didn't help. I also spent over 8 months preparing for a test that I knew from the outset was not ever going to be an accurate reflection of my abilities.

I always have a hearty chuckle when people provide the smirk response of "Do something about it" or "Just try harder." Some of us... self included... are just not good test takers.... After years of thinking I could "improve" my SAT scores... I decided that maybe the test... and not the test taker... needs improving.

How novel... looking at my grades AND experience to get an accurate picture of who I am... some crazy stuff....

While I agree whole heartedly with your last sentence, and that the GRE is a abysmal test, you are telling me that despite all your intellect you cannot defeat the GRE gatekeeper.

Ummmm, BS. Sorry, I have to call BS on it. I am not a good test taker either, but that is just an excuse! Why are you not a good test taker? Do you have some physical or cognitive limitation that prevents you from doing well on tests??? You need to figure out what that problem is and address it.

If you really believe that the GRE cannot be beaten by some test takers, that's an interesting hypothesis. One worthy of some graduate study in it's own right. What cognitive styles do poorly on the GRE and why? If you have a reasonable argument and you are as bright as you say, then you have to turn to the only thing that can overcome a low GRE score. NETWORKING. Prove yourself valuable and intelligent enough to get interviews by stalking professors and presenting at regional conferences. This is probably the most difficult way to overcome a low GRE, couple that with completing your masters degree.

That is just the way the game is played. You can't change the game, so you have to change how you play. I know that sucks, but it's not gonna change anytime soon.

Mark

Someone earlier mentioned how everyone keeps telling them, "oh don't worry about it, you'll get in" YEA, totally hear that one too! I hate how little people understand about this process because that makes the rejection that much harder. No matter how smart or successful someone is, they don't necessarily "get in" - UGH! I hate this process. This thread helps though :)

And the worst thing is if I were applying to med school (or maybe even law school) I feel like people would be way more willing to accept how competitive it is. But nobody seems to understand that about psychology.

Oh, and don't get me started about people who act like I'm not very serious about the whole prospect because I don't have a safety school just in case!!! :mad:

While I agree whole heartedly with your last sentence, and that the GRE is a abysmal test, you are telling me that despite all your intellect you cannot defeat the GRE gatekeeper.

Ummmm, BS. Sorry, I have to call BS on it. I am not a good test taker either, but that is just an excuse! Why are you not a good test taker? Do you have some physical or cognitive limitation that prevents you from doing well on tests??? You need to figure out what that problem is and address it.

Mark

Mark, I think it's wonderful that you have a really positive attitude and think that everyone can obtain good scores on the GRE.

However, I'm with the OP on this topic. Not everyone can 'defeat the GRE gatekeeper'. Some people cannot do well on these tests no matter how smart they are. Take me for example... I can't do multiple choice/short answer exams. You give me a written test, I'll ace it. I had several classes like this in undergrad... I would fail the MC part of the exam and get in the high 90's for the written component.

As for stating that if someone has a physical or cognitive limitation, that they figure out what the issue is and address it... that's really really naive and quite offensive. I will be bold here and speak for all the disabled students taking the GRE (I have a head injury), I have figured out what my issues is, I have addressed the issue, but I cannot repair the damage in my head in order to regain my cognitive functioning to the point where I can 'ace' this exam.

This doesn't mean I'm not smart, I am. This doesn't mean that I shouldn't go to grad school, I have my masters and did better than most students in my cohort. This doesn't mean that I haven't tried, studied and learned strategies to get your around 1300. 1200 is the highest I've scored, but I'm confident it won't get better than that.

I am quite offended that you would be arrogant enough to state that smart people who don't score well would be able to 'defeat the GRE gatekeeper' if they tried harder or learned strategies. I am even more offended that you would include people with disabilities into your little theory.

We all know that you are fantastic as you provide your stats and application results more than anyone in this forum. However, I think it may be good for you to step back from this situation for a second (and your pompous arrogance) and realize that not everyone is as picture perfect as you in your ability to raise your scores and do all the things that you do.

I totally understand that everyone is going to go, Oh my god WK you're so harsh... but serious, you pissed me off. Being completely egocentric here, it's people like you who create barriers for people like me when they are completely unjustified.

/rant

PS. I'm really pissy today :(

I am quite offended that you would be arrogant enough to state that smart people who don't score well would be able to 'defeat the GRE gatekeeper' if they tried harder or learned strategies. I am even more offended that you would include people with disabilities into your little theory.

We all know that you are fantastic as you provide your stats and application results more than anyone in this forum. However, I think it may be good for you to step back from this situation for a second (and your pompous arrogance) and realize that not everyone is as picture perfect as you in your ability to raise your scores and do all the things that you do.

I think that MarkP was suggesting other veins to bolster the overall application to offset average or sub-par GRE scores. I didn't glean from his post anything too disparaging.

Also, I got from his message that the GRE isn't and shouldn't carry that much weight in the application--and one should approach the process more holistically. I HAD to do the networking as my scores will likely not dazzle anyone on any admissions committee. I had to do other things as well to attempt to bring forward some of my more appealing qualities as my GREs will surely not sell me as an applicant on their own.

I'm sorry you were so offended. The last thing you need is to be really upset on top of waiting for interview invites. :)

Mark, I think it's wonderful that you have a really positive attitude and think that everyone can obtain good scores on the GRE.

However, I'm with the OP on this topic. Not everyone can 'defeat the GRE gatekeeper'. Some people cannot do well on these tests no matter how smart they are. Take me for example... I can't do multiple choice/short answer exams. You give me a written test, I'll ace it. I had several classes like this in undergrad... I would fail the MC part of the exam and get in the high 90's for the written component.

As for stating that if someone has a physical or cognitive limitation, that they figure out what the issue is and address it... that's really really naive and quite offensive. I will be bold here and speak for all the disabled students taking the GRE (I have a head injury), I have figured out what my issues is, I have addressed the issue, but I cannot repair the damage in my head in order to regain my cognitive functioning to the point where I can 'ace' this exam.

This doesn't mean I'm not smart, I am. This doesn't mean that I shouldn't go to grad school, I have my masters and did better than most students in my cohort. This doesn't mean that I haven't tried, studied and learned strategies to get your around 1300. 1200 is the highest I've scored, but I'm confident it won't get better than that.

I totally understand that everyone is going to go, Oh my god WK you're so harsh... but serious, you pissed me off. Being completely egocentric here, it's people like you who create barriers for people like me when they are completely unjustified.

/rant

You know, I am not going to take it personally. This has nothing to do about my stats, apps or grades, and yes, I posted them. And I did moderately well but certainly not great... I also posted where I started from. Which was in the 900's, something I am not proud of, but it's reality. I'm in my 40's doing something that others are doing in their 20's... Does that mean I am ******ed by 20+ years??? Possibly!

You have an exceptionally valid reason why you cannot do well on these tests. Hell, your scores are better than people that I know who have no cognitive limitations from disabilities and would kill to have your score. That said, I still think that ditching the GRE altogether is a great idea.

There was no need to get "personal". I have no special ability, I am not particularly bright, and I owe a lot of my success to my tenacity. Finally to accuse me of creating barriers when I have no control over the process is ridiculous! It's not people like me that cause the problem, I think the test sucks for predicting the ability of graduate students.

The only reason I shared my experience was so that hopefully others could learn from my experiences. If that's arrogance, I will be happy to stop posting. I have no need to get validation from the people on this forum. I have no reason to be arrogant! I did so poorly in my first round of applications that I am still embarrassed by it... how is sharing my dismal failures an act of arrogance? I did work hard to correct my mistakes, and I am certainly not going to apologize for that or for sharing what I did with others.

Mark

/rant

I'm gonna stick my neck out and say that I agree with everything you said.

Here's my shameless plug of myself: I got great GRE scores. But I wouldn't for a second say that it has anything whatsoever to do with anything but substantial luck. The questions on the test were the ones that I happened to know.

Sometimes there's no amount of preparation or "addressing" of limitations that can help you get a good score on a standardized test. There are people who write them well and there are people who don't. Both groups have people who will do amazingly well in grad school.

I'm not even going to touch his comment about autism vs head injuries. That's a whole value-laden can of worms nobody needs to get into.

Look at that, I'm pissy too and I'm not even waiting on interviews. :laugh:

I'm gonna stick my neck out and say that I agree with everything you said.

I'm not even going to touch his comment about autism vs head injuries. That's a whole value-laden can of worms nobody needs to get into.

That's why I edited it out. It was inappropriate.

Mark

PS - I am sorry that you also feel that I am arrogant, naive, and self-centered... Maybe it's time I go. Good luck to all of you.

First, I would like to apologize to Mark for calling you arrogant and pompous. It was totally out of line, no excuses.

I have the need to explain myself a little better in regards to my last post. T4C, not trying to start anything, rather trying to diffuse and explain my last post a bit.

Mark, I didn't mean for it to be a personal attack on you, though it did turn out that way in sorts because it was you that wrote it.

I understand that you are saying that the test is not predictive etc... but it was the other stuff that you said with that statement that was really offensive.

For example, "You are telling me that despite all your intellect you cannot defeat the GRE gatekeeper." This is what I, and several other people on this board are saying, because for whatever reason, we can't.

Then, "Ummmmm, BS. Sorry, I have to call BS on it. I am not a good test taker either, but that is just an excuse! Why are you not a good test taker? Do you have some physical or cognitive limitation that prevents you from doing well on tests??? You need to figure out what that problem is and address it." It's not BS, it's not an excuse. That's life for some of us who are still very smart, will do and have done very well in grad school and are not trying to excuse their marks but devastated knowing that they will set us back in this uber competitive process.

Regarding my statement of 'people like you creating barriers...' was embarassingly harsh, but in regards to your above statement, true. Maybe your intended meaning was different from what came out in those 3 sentences, however if that's how you feel, you are creating barriers by saying that it's an excuse that people can't do well on this test for whatever reason. With that being said, I would also like to explain that I am crazy sensitive right now and am probably taking your statements way more personally that I should be. In my defense, I am worried about the admissions committees saying exactly what you are in regards to my GRE scores (if she addressed the problem/it's only an excuse) and my grades (my accident was during my undergrad) and therefore your statements were like rubbing salt in a wound.

I don't think that you should stop posting and I hate to have implied that if I did. You do contribute to this forum. I just think that because you have done well for yourself and have raised your marks etc, that you mistakenly think that everyone should be able to do it and get in like you. For people like me, reading the post that you wrote earlier, just makes us feel that much more inadequate and out of the running for a spot that we KNOW we would succeed in based on a criteria that we have no real control over.

Ok, I hope this softens and explains my previous post a little better.