09/03/2015 MCAT score- 491, what to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tdeezly

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
MCAT 2015: 123/121/123/124-491 (22%)

I took my first ever MCAT on 09/03/15.
I studied and took 6 Kaplan practice tests, never scoring over a 500, ranging from 489-495.
I took an Next Step diagnostic and scored a 500.
I took one TPR and scored 490.
On the AAMC FL I scored in 50-60% range across the board.

I took a $2,000 prep course, biggest waste of my time and money.

Although my practice tests were not so hot, I was under the impression that the real thing would be much better. The problem was that I got no sleep the night before the exam due to stress (even though I took melatonin tablets prior to bed). Overall I account my score to the no sleep factor because sincerely I felt like I was going to fall asleep in the middle of my exam, it was like I was shot by a tranquilizer.
Now, it is time to try again and aim for a better score because I will be applying in the spring of 2016 to both MD and DO. I am not, nor will I ever consider Caribbean and I have my heart and life set on this goal, I just need to conquer this test to get there.

From high scoring test takers, what do you suggest as far as selecting a new test date, a new study timeline, study materials, etc.

(I have heard the EK and Next Step practice tests are the best indicators of your score?)

I feel like during the exam I lose focus and drift to the point of no return. What suggestions do you have (other than caffeine substances, they just make me jittery) to retain focus and stamina for this exam?

I am not working, just taking classes right now and chances are will be doing the same when test day comes.

Please help :(

Members don't see this ad.

How is that even possible? Is the realization that you are taking the most important test of your entire life (up until that point) not enough to keep your eyes open? I'm legitimately dumbfounded.

Well that was the case, take it or leave it and that still doesn't answer my question, but thank you for the positive input, as if I haven't been knocked down enough.

Reactions: 1 users
With all due respect, have you taken and done well in your pre-req sciences? Physics? Chem? Orgo? Bio? At least in my mind a percentile that low would indicate you have almost no mastery of the actual material. If I were you I'd do something to seriously bolster your actual understanding of the science behind the MCAT (maybe retake/audit things like cell bio, physiology, physics), before prepping again. In prepping, take every practice test under the sun. Hell even take the old tests just to get extra exposure. Take practice sections til your eyes bleed. Build up as much endurance as possible. Also 121 is in CARS/verbal? Do you have ESL issues, or were you just too tired to think critically on the passages. In any case best of luck, but this is going to be a serious setback to overcome. If you retake and the same thing happens with the sleepiness and loss of focus, void your score before leaving.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well that was the case, take it or leave it and that still doesn't answer my question, but thank you for the positive input, as if I haven't been knocked down enough.

While you may not like @xyphr 's comment, it's pretty shocking to hear that someone was losing focus and drifting off during the MCAT. This is a pretty bizarre issue that I never thought I'd hear. Are you talking about the end of the test and mental exhaustion? You were extremely anxious throughout were you not? If you felt no stress and just got bored while writing it that sounds either like some medical issue or you just don't care about any of this, which doesn't seem like it from your post.

Reactions: 1 user
While you may not like @xyphr 's comment, it's pretty shocking to hear that someone was losing focus and drifting off during the MCAT. This is a pretty bizarre issue that I never thought I'd hear. Are you talking about the end of the test and mental exhaustion? You were extremely anxious throughout were you not? If you felt no stress and just got bored while writing it that sounds either like some medical issue or you just don't care about any of this, which doesn't seem like it from your post.

I literally had 3 hours of sleep and was extremely nervous. Whenever I took practice tests I put myself in the same settings as the real exam, but instead at the library. I did extremely well in all my science courses, always around a 3.8/3.9 whereas math & physics ranged around 3.5/3.6.

If you retake, wait until you're scoring at least above 500. There's no reason to believe you will score above 500 when you had never really done so on practice exams. Other than that, try to find the source of the lack of focus (besides if it was just lack of sleep) and also find any ways that you prepared that might not have helped and eliminate them.

^Agree with the above. My post was not intended to insult you or kick you when you were down. It is honestly puzzling to me how someone could feel legitimately sleepy during a test like the MCAT. Tired sure, but feeling as though you were "hit with a tranquilizer" is definitely not normal. In any case, I would focus heavily on mastery of the content first because 22nd percentile indicates an extremely low level of content knowledge. Start there.

I know it sounds like I completely dropped the ball, and I am not denying it, I clearly did. But I am willing to put in all the time and effort that it takes to increase my score by at least 10 points. I have scored better before and I want to go beyond that. I can put in the time, I just need some more guidance as to what materials I should use for practice. I don't plan on spending too much time on content because I know my weakness is clearly critical thinking, but all in all, I know practice is key. But all-in-all I do need sincere advice other than "ooooooh- that really stinks".

If you retake, wait until you're scoring at least above 500. There's no reason to believe you will score above 500 when you had never really done so on practice exams. Other than that, try to find the source of the lack of focus (besides if it was just lack of sleep) and also find any ways that you prepared that might not have helped and eliminate them.

That's a good way to go about it. If I plan on applying in June 2016, when should I be taking the test? I honestly was hoping Jan 23rd, but I don't think a month is enough time for a 10-point increase.

Although my practice tests were not so hot, I was under the impression that the real thing would be much better.
Why would you think this? Don't take it until you are scoring good on your practice tests.

Reactions: 5 users
I mean you may have been tired/lost focus in the exam, but correct me if I'm mistaken (I'm not super familiar with the new mcat), but it looks like you scored right around your averages on practice tests. Even if they are generally harder than the actual thing, I wouldn't average <500 and then suddenly expect a miracle to happen on the real test day. Take some suggestions on how to study for the mcat from all the great resources here and prep better and don't take the test expecting to get better than what you are averaging on practice tests.

That's a good way to go about it. If I plan on applying in June 2016, when should I be taking the test? I honestly was hoping Jan 23rd, but I don't think a month is enough time for a 10-point increase.
I took the MCAT in May and applied this cycle. Granted I was given my rough percentiles pretty early compared to when you might get your real score. So realistically, I think the latest you could take it so that you know your score before applying would be in April. One month is definitely not enough time.

Edit: If you're applying DO as well, when to take the MCAT could be different. I have no expertise with the DO timeline or cycle.

This may or may not help you. I just thought I would give something else to think about. I had to take the MCAT 3 times (not proud). The first time I scored a 26, and I retook it after a month of studying only to get a 28 the next time. I applied regular decision to MD programs and was not accepted so I had to retake the new MCAT. This time, I studied for 2 months straight while not taking any other classes and really dedicated myself to the MCAT so that I could do well because I knew it was my last shot. I scored a 495 on my Kaplan diagnostic and never broke a 504 on a practice exam. In the end, I got a 512 which was not the best score in the world but was a dramatic improvement from my previous score. You can do better on the exam. You just need to know what your weaknesses are and how you should fix them.

So my advice: Please study for longer than a month. For some people, this is all they need. But unless you know what is causing you to not do well, I would study for longer than a month (because I tried that with basically the same study method, and you see how that worked out for me). You need to figure out what works best for you. I would really look into the problem with staying awake and/or test anxiety problems. The fact that you were scoring between 489 and 495 and then scored a 491 says to me that something happened on test day because most people who took Kaplan scored leagues better than their practice exams (Kaplan is known to deflate their scores). The 60 percent AAMC test results also suggest this to me because most people I saw who took the AAMC practice exam scored similarly on the real thing. If you genuinely think it was a sleep deprivation issue, then try going to bed at a consistent time every night before the exam (maybe at like 10) so that your body gets used to a bed time. I am not sure what you could do for a focus issue except maybe eat foods that are good for your energy and take as many practice exams as you can. I took 9 the third time I took the exam and did not feel tired during any part of the exam because I was used to it. I also looked up some foods the night before and took those with me (blueberries are good for your brain, other fruits are good for energy, granola bars are good for energy, wheat bread in my sandwich, etc). Please only take the exam when you are scoring well on the practice exams and don't feel bad switching up your study strategies if one is not working for you. Try to find the best one for you, and stick to it. Some people do best when they self-study. Some people do best when they make a schedule and stick religiously to it. Some people work best when they study for only a few hours a day. Some people do best when they study for 8 hours straight. Others do best when they practice A TON instead of reading a lot. It really is not the same for two people, and someone else's study habits may not benefit you. That's okay. You just have to be smart enough to know when to try something new if something is not working for you. I wish you the best of luck. The MCAT forums on here probably have a ton of study methods, and google has some great ideas as well. You can do it! You just have to believe it and work hard for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would you think this? Don't take it until you are scoring good on your practice tests.

I was just going to ask this question. OP you only scored 500 once and in the 480s-490s the other times . Based on your statement what did you think you would score?

I was just going to ask this question. OP you only scored 500 once and in the 480s-490s the other times . Based on your statement what did you think you would score?
We'll based on so many other forums were students posted their initial Kap test score and then compared it to their real score, I expected some sort of difference as Kaplan is known to deflate scores (as previously mentioned). Overall, I did not expect some spontaneous score, but I did expect a difference as observed in many other cases. Regardless, I am going to do much much better come next year. My anxiety and fear is gone, now it's time for revenge.

This may or may not help you. I just thought I would give something else to think about. I had to take the MCAT 3 times (not proud). The first time I scored a 26, and I retook it after a month of studying only to get a 28 the next time. I applied regular decision to MD programs and was not accepted so I had to retake the new MCAT. This time, I studied for 2 months straight while not taking any other classes and really dedicated myself to the MCAT so that I could do well because I knew it was my last shot. I scored a 495 on my Kaplan diagnostic and never broke a 504 on a practice exam. In the end, I got a 512 which was not the best score in the world but was a dramatic improvement from my previous score. You can do better on the exam. You just need to know what your weaknesses are and how you should fix them.

So my advice: Please study for longer than a month. For some people, this is all they need. But unless you know what is causing you to not do well, I would study for longer than a month (because I tried that with basically the same study method, and you see how that worked out for me). You need to figure out what works best for you. I would really look into the problem with staying awake and/or test anxiety problems. The fact that you were scoring between 489 and 495 and then scored a 491 says to me that something happened on test day because most people who took Kaplan scored leagues better than their practice exams (Kaplan is known to deflate their scores). The 60 percent AAMC test results also suggest this to me because most people I saw who took the AAMC practice exam scored similarly on the real thing. If you genuinely think it was a sleep deprivation issue, then try going to bed at a consistent time every night before the exam (maybe at like 10) so that your body gets used to a bed time. I am not sure what you could do for a focus issue except maybe eat foods that are good for your energy and take as many practice exams as you can. I took 9 the third time I took the exam and did not feel tired during any part of the exam because I was used to it. I also looked up some foods the night before and took those with me (blueberries are good for your brain, other fruits are good for energy, granola bars are good for energy, wheat bread in my sandwich, etc). Please only take the exam when you are scoring well on the practice exams and don't feel bad switching up your study strategies if one is not working for you. Try to find the best one for you, and stick to it. Some people do best when they self-study. Some people do best when they make a schedule and stick religiously to it. Some people work best when they study for only a few hours a day. Some people do best when they study for 8 hours straight. Others do best when they practice A TON instead of reading a lot. It really is not the same for two people, and someone else's study habits may not benefit you. That's okay. You just have to be smart enough to know when to try something new if something is not working for you. I wish you the best of luck. The MCAT forums on here probably have a ton of study methods, and google has some great ideas as well. You can do it! You just have to believe it and work hard for it.

This is all totally true. Thanks for the advice. I'm going to just wipe the slate clean and start easing my way into my weakness problems for now, and hopefully retake it over the summer after a solid 2 months of practice. Great job on yours though! It sounds like you had all good scores from the beginning, but really pummeled it the 3rd time around! Hopefully I can get to that point over the next 6 months.

This is all totally true. Thanks for the advice. I'm going to just wipe the slate clean and start easing my way into my weakness problems for now, and hopefully retake it over the summer after a solid 2 months of practice. Great job on yours though! It sounds like you had all good scores from the beginning, but really pummeled it the 3rd time around! Hopefully I can get to that point over the next 6 months.

Thank you! And you're welcome! I hope it helped and that you can figure out your weaknesses. You really can do it as long as you believe it and put in the work. Good luck!!

Go to your school's learning or education center and get help for this STAT.

If you can't master this, your medical career is over. We're addicted to high stakes exams in med school. Step I will be worse.

MCAT 2015: 123/121/123/124-491 (22%)

I feel like during the exam I lose focus and drift to the point of no return. What suggestions do you have (other than caffeine substances, they just make me jittery) to retain focus and stamina for this exam?

I am not working, just taking classes right now and chances are will be doing the same when test day comes.

Please help :(

Reactions: 3 users
Although my practice tests were not so hot, I was under the impression that the real thing would be much better.
Why on Earth would you assume that? If anything, you should assume the real thing will be worse than the practice exams.
The problem was that I got no sleep the night before the exam due to stress (even though I took melatonin tablets prior to bed). Overall I account my score to the no sleep factor because sincerely I felt like I was going to fall asleep in the middle of my exam, it was like I was shot by a tranquilizer.
I wouldn't attribute your poor score to anything other than poor preparation. Failing to recognized the flaws in your study methods is the real danger here.
From high scoring test takers, what do you suggest as far as selecting a new test date, a new study timeline, study materials, etc.
There is no magic formula. You have to find out what works for you. As you already pointed out, prep courses are largely a waste of time.
You may have a learning disability. I don't suggest going anywhere near another standardized exam until you have this figured out.

Best of luck

Why on Earth would you assume that? If anything, you should assume the real thing will be worse than the practice exams.

I wouldn't attribute your poor score to anything other than poor preparation. Failing to recognized the flaws in your study methods is the real danger here.

There is no magic formula. You have to find out what works for you. As you already pointed out, prep courses are largely a waste of time.

You may have a learning disability. I don't suggest going anywhere near another standardized exam until you have this figured out.

Best of luck

Thanks for the advice!

Go to your school's learning or education center and get help for this STAT.

If you can't master this, your medical career is over. We're addicted to high stakes exams in med school. Step I will be worse.

This is all totally true. I'm taking the steps needed to do this, and I needed a nice slap from SDN members to put things into perspective. Thanks and good luck to you!

Reactions: 1 users
I think when people do bad on exams it's easy to say things like "didn't get enough sleep" and blame it on external things. While the sleep may have been detrimental, most people would not lose focus on the mcat. The problem is likely in your preparation for the exam, not circumstantial things during the exam. Don't expect to do well just bc you spent $2000 on a class. Personally I think classes are a waste of anyone's money. Focus on your weak areas and try material from multiple sources, not just Kaplan

Additionally, beyond any recommendations for the how to of studying for MCAT (I won't be taking until next year so can't offer a lot of advice), but if your anxiety is that bad that you couldn't sleep, I'd suggest seeking out your school's counseling services as well.

I have some pretty extreme test anxiety myself, exacerbated by a few other things, and it was suggested to me by @Goro to seek out those services myself.

I thought I'd maybe get a handout on meditation or something but went anyway. It's more in depth than that, so don't expect to go one session, then peace out.
To manage that kind of stress you need to put the time in as well.
It's helping, and I'd really, really recommend it.

Reactions: 3 users

Do you take Melatonin tablets always? Because you really dont need to disrupt your biochemistry the day before. You should get into a sleeping cycle that the MCAT offers if you can so that your circadian rhythm is on point.
This is what we are doing in my lab, I still havent had the chance to talk to my PI, but I want to know if you have an exam at 8 am what you should do. How to get on a cycle that keeps your concentration.They have showcased attention is like a enzyme graph, has two peaks throughout the day. This test is long. So if you dont normally wake up at 8 am, then you will have some trouble. Also what are you eating before and after ? It should be very lean things no fat. Also intermittent fasting does improve attention as well sometimes.
Caffeine tablets to me are a nono. Shots of espresso sound much better. This can be kept in your locker in a thermos.

You really should figure out if waking up hours before the test and taking things slow, letting coffee kick in (4 hours, so you should be drinking coffee 2-3 hours before), would be a good idea.

All of this to consider, outside of the academic advice above.