13 Democrat Congressional reps pushing student loan forgiveness owe about $1,500,000

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Democrats must have seen god awful poll numbers for the midterms if they're being serious with this proposal.

Members don't see this ad.

Access to bags of debt is what they got.

What is next? Give out a mortgage to anyone and everyone? Oh yeah, we did.

It wasn't just that we gave one to everyone (which we did, oh well), it was that they were ticking time bombs given to unsophisticated buyers. Negative amortization w/ recast at 120%? Sign me up! SISA? NINA? NINJA?? Hell to the yeah, fund them beezies. Appraiser shopping to get the best outcome? Standard practice! 100% LTV jumbos and 80/20% piggyback workarounds? You get a bonus, good sir. 2/28 ARM? Sounds like a good idea.

"Hey, why aren't people paying their loans?"

Access to bags of debt is what they got.

What is next? Give out a mortgage to anyone and everyone? Oh yeah, we did.

Free food, free healthcare, free college, free housing. Next week be free retirement.

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean sure, why not?

Perhaps because houses and education are not the same, but then again I am not a policy expert.

Perhaps you can break down for me why it is a good thing to let people go into six figures of debt for an education when it’s cheap or free in any other advanced economy? I presume the answer will be because it wouldn’t be fair to you?

No one is letting anyone go six figures into debt. Going to college is a choice. No one forced them to take out 6 figures in loans. My electrician friend didn't go to college and he is doing better than anyone I know with a degree.

I lived like a student for 2-3 years after graduation because I decided to be responsible and pay down my loans. I have classmates who used their student loans to live in expensive apartments, eat fancy dinners, buy new cars and go on fancy vacations. They are still making min payments on their loans and expect them to be forgiven.

• Okay...
Reactions: 5 users
I see this dumb post floating around which sounds a lot like the arguments in this thread. This argument is dumb because student loans never killed anyone. But anyway if you want to use this comparison then the fair thing to do would be to divert the train and bring the dead ones back to life. That would be the equivalent of forgiving loans and giving people like us a refund. But no, you all scoff at the idea of giving refunds and call us selfish. You would rather keep the people dead than bring them back to life.

But no, you all scoff at the idea of giving refunds and call us selfish. You would rather keep the people dead than bring them back to life.
Pretty sure there were only two people that directly addressed refunding those who already paid here and they were not opposed to it

Reactions: 1 user
Refunding is not going to happen because it goes against the narrative that people have been taken advantage of and can’t pay back their student loans.
That has nothing to do with the point I was making or the one that I was responding to

Lmaoooooo. This thread is quite funny and complex. People complaining about politicians wanting a result that benefits them. People complaining that they want those same benefits too or else no one should get it because they aren't getting it.
You guys might as well complain about why you aren't getting paid exactly the same amount as the highest paid pharmacist in America. This thread is just going to go in circles and wind back down to complaining about why others benefit when you don't.

Reactions: 3 users
No one is letting anyone go six figures into debt. Going to college is a choice. No one forced them to take out 6 figures in loans. My electrician friend didn't go to college and he is doing better than anyone I know with a degree.

I lived like a student for 2-3 years after graduation because I decided to be responsible and pay down my loans. I have classmates who used their student loans to live in expensive apartments, eat fancy dinners, buy new cars and go on fancy vacations. They are still making min payments on their loans and expect them to be forgiven.
It amazes me you know other peoples financial situation so well. I certainly couldn’t tell you which of my classmates, if any, still have student loans. I certainly don’t know how my non-pharmacist friends are doing financially compared to me. Do you compare 401k balances or net worth statements or what?

No one can take your achievements away from you. Other people getting a break doesn’t take anything away from you. Fixing a broken system is good for everyone, even if some people will get a better deal than you.

Reactions: 2 users
so philosophical question for everyone here…how does one define fair?

Not everyone has the luxury of drastically reducing living expenses post graduation by living with parents, relatives, living off of hand-me down resources, living local/not having to move whilst living like a miser to pay off student loans ASAP.

There is clearly an issue trending with the out of control cost of higher education in America that did not affect prior generations. What is a “fair” solution is what is debatable/an opinion

Not everyone has the luxury of drastically reducing living expenses post graduation by living with parents, relatives, living off of hand-me down resources, living local/not having to move whilst living like a miser to pay off student loans ASAP.

There is clearly an issue trending with the out of control cost of higher education in America that did not affect prior generations. What is a “fair” solution is what is debatable/an opinion

Fair would be no student loan forgiveness. Student loan forgiveness means plumbers and carpenters are paying for other people's choice to go to college.

As stated earlier, attending college is a choice. Attending a six figure college is a choice. You can get an affordable education at community college and state university.

to borrow a quote from a good friend.

Fair is not equal.

This was in relation to work conditions/salary, etc - but I can see it being beneficial in this discussion as well.

In my opinion - fair is to fix the underlying problem first (rising costs of tuition, interest rates, etc) - then work on loan forgiveness. There are already income based repayment plans (I don't clam to know the ins and outs of them as I paid off my loans in 2020 after 16 long years)- but for me they weren't beneficial, but for others they are.

Fair would be no student loan forgiveness. Student loan forgiveness means plumbers and carpenters are paying for other people's choice to go to college.

As stated earlier, attending college is a choice. Attending a six figure college is a choice. You can get an affordable education at community college and state university.
So attending college is a choice if one has aspirations to pursue a career in law, medicine, profession X? 🙄
Going back to a higher education system issue of schools not weeding enough candidates out…subpar GPA, subpar entrance exam scores…tough **** kid, enter a trade like you mention

I think your posts show gross negligence in perspective…not everyone‘s choices/pursuits in life are motivated by money
Believe me, my tax dollars fund plenty of stuff I want nothing to do with and disagree with wholeheartedly but pay them nonetheless

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If the government program or tax policy benefits me, such as solar tax credits, it’s fair. If it doesn’t benefit me, such as inheritance tax rates, it’s unfair.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
What is the problem with going to a community college if you don’t have the grades or you have not decided what you want to do? Why waste thousands of dollars on something you are not sure about?

The truth is…very few 18 years olds know what they want to do in life. It is perfectly normal and recommended for them to go to a community college first.

Let’s also be real. Not everyone can or should become a doctor, lawyer, engineer. It is ridiculous to think the government should fund everyone’s aspirations regardless of demonstrated abilities and attitude. It is not like we can still print money out of thin air.
I’m not saying there is anything wrong with community college. I’m saying major colleges shouldn’t be accepting students with questionable abilities to begin with as a means of making some easy money and need to be much more selective. GPA and entrance exams would be an easy, objective means to be more selective

So attending college is a choice if one has aspirations to pursue a career in law, medicine, profession X? 🙄
Going back to a higher education system issue of schools not weeding enough candidates out…subpar GPA, subpar entrance exam scores…tough **** kid, enter a trade like you mention

I think your posts show gross negligence in perspective…not everyone‘s choices/pursuits in life are motivated by money
Believe me, my tax dollars fund plenty of stuff I want nothing to do with and disagree with wholeheartedly but pay them nonetheless

Yes. Tax payers should not have to pay for lawyers and doctors. Why should a plumber have to pay for a doctor's student loans?

If the government program or tax policy benefits me, such as solar tax credits, it’s fair. If it doesn’t benefit me, such as inheritance tax rates, it’s unfair.

That's not the same. Everyone is eligible to get the solar panel tax credit if they wish. People who paid their loans already are ineligible to get their loans forgiven.

Let's flip the script. If they chose to refund loans that were already paid, but give nothing for any loans unpaid, I'm sure y'all would cry foul too.

I see this dumb post floating around which sounds a lot like the arguments in this thread. This argument is dumb because student loans never killed anyone. But anyway if you want to use this comparison then the fair thing to do would be to divert the train and bring the dead ones back to life. That would be the equivalent of forgiving loans and giving people like us a refund. But no, you all scoff at the idea of giving refunds and call us selfish. You would rather keep the people dead than bring them back to life.

There'd have to have another cell next to the one above where the people that were run over aren't dead, but need medical care desperately. The guy at the switch just walks over to them and tells them to just die, there isn't enough money to help them.

Yes. Tax payers should not have to pay for lawyers and doctors. Why should a plumber have to pay for a doctor's student loans?
I think you are missing the point that people have very little if no control over what tax payer money is spent on. Your personal system of beliefs and biases have no say on what some fat cat corrupt politicians vote on for spending, allocating tax payer money towards

in other words, grow up, life is not fair for everyone all the time kid

You're a letsrun troll! This is fascinating. I've encountered many on reddit, but none on less anonymous forums. What's your 5k?

You're a letsrun troll! This is fascinating. I've encountered many on reddit, but none on less anonymous forums. What's your 5k?

Yes I've mentioned that site here before. I haven't run since high school. My best 5k was low 18:00s.

Yes I've mentioned that site here before. I haven't run since high school. My best 5k was low 18:00s.
For you non-runners out there, letsrun.com is a lightly moderated forum for mostly white supremecist, incel, middle-aged men, with occasional running content. It’s a horrible slice of what America looks like when not constrained by any sort of consequences for exercising one’s right to free speech. I feel worse every time I get bored at work and run out of better internet.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
For you non-runners out there, letsrun.com is a lightly moderated forum for mostly white supremecist, incel, middle-aged men, with occasional running content. It’s a horrible slice of what America looks like when not constrained by any sort of consequences for exercising one’s right to free speech. I feel worse every time I get bored at work and run out of better internet.

I find the forum entertaining and like how it's lightly moderated. I still follow the sport during World Championships and Olympics.

Fixing the problem is not as hard as you think but politicians need to make the hard decisions

First, only those have at least a 3.0 gpa get to go 4 year university after high school or need to get a certain score on the SAT. The rest need to go to a community college first where tuition will be cheap or free.

Second, provide alternatives like trade schools, apprenticeship

Third, train and educate high school students for the real world.

Forth, limit to how much the Fed will provide in financial aid and loans.

Fifth, allow college students to get credit for a course via exam without enrolling in the course.
I'm a big fan of free community college and trade school, personally, so that people get useful training and skills. Hard caps on public and private student loans and tossing out the bankruptcy protection offered for private loans to ensure predatory lending stops. Adding useful skills programs into high school curriculums rather than other nonsense that they currently focus on is also agreeable. Disagree with exams for courses- half of doing a course is proving you can do the work associated with it, not just the knowledge going in. I think accelerated courses offer a better alternative that would be more cost-effective.

Man, I knew, had faith we’d go back full circle back to bringing up the race card. These forums truly bring out the best in those who hide behind computer screens (sarcasm)

Still good for some cheap zero cost laughs; I mean one can’t put a price on mental anguish?

It wasn't just that we gave one to everyone (which we did, oh well), it was that they were ticking time bombs given to unsophisticated buyers. Negative amortization w/ recast at 120%? Sign me up! SISA? NINA? NINJA?? Hell to the yeah, fund them beezies. Appraiser shopping to get the best outcome? Standard practice! 100% LTV jumbos and 80/20% piggyback workarounds? You get a bonus, good sir. 2/28 ARM? Sounds like a good idea.

"Hey, why aren't people paying their loans?"
I am all for financial responsibility- but the 2008ish housing crisis showed how predatory lending and taking advantage of those who simply didn't have the financial whereabouts can lead to horrible condequences for everyone. I purchased a home I shouldn't have (I put 0% down, but made every payment on time and actually bought well below my means, but when I went to sell it 7 years later I got the joy of cutting a check to the mortgage company for the honor of selling. Many innocent, financially smart people lost a lot of money due to this - and as far as I know- not a single bank exec ended up in jail

Nothing cracks me up more than those of you who think we need to forgive student loans and at the same time criticize our current system as being broken. What better way to fix a broken system then by validating it? Just like President Obama fixing our broken health care system by forcing everyone to participate in it. Good luck convincing the middle class to go along with that. "I know you decided to go to trade school for a different career path but this pharmacist has 200k of student loan debt that they can't pay back on a $120,000 yearly salary. Despite the fact you live in a low cost of living area with multiple children, you'll need to subsidize them so they can redirect that student loan payment towards buying a second home or vacationing in Aruba. Enjoy the higher tax bill!"

Nothing cracks me up more than those of you who think we need to forgive student loans and at the same time criticize our current system as being broken. What better way to fix a broken system then by validating it? Just like President Obama fixing our broken health care system by forcing everyone to participate in it. Good luck convincing the middle class to go along with that. "I know you decided to go to trade school for a different career path but this pharmacist has 200k of student loan debt that they can't pay back on a $120,000 yearly salary. Despite the fact you live in a low cost of living area with multiple children, you'll need to subsidize them so they can redirect that student loan payment towards buying a second home or vacationing in Aruba. Enjoy the higher tax bill!"
I mean Joe Shmoe doesn’t seem to mind oil executives getting fat bonuses from government subsidies while jacking up the price of gas so I doubt they will riot over tuition, something which there is a chance will help their children or other family members or loved ones. Other countries seem to enjoy having affordable higher education so I don’t see why people here would necessarily hate it.

The whole thing was a scam but many also knowingly lied on their mortgage application…remember “stated income”?

If you limit who can qualify for a mortgage, then it is “unfair, unjust, discriminatory” but when you give out a mortgage to anyone and everyone then it is “predatory lending”.

Oh it was even worse than that. NINJA = no income, no justifiable assets.

They literally funded a loan based on the pure appreciation of the asset (house) and a credit score.

But the other issue was that there was definitely steering involved. A-grade borrowers were often coached to state higher incomes, and placed into SISA loans that didn’t look for documentation. It was a win-win because the brokers that did this just padded the margin.

These dudes and dudettes had no fiduciary responsibility, so it was one big :::shrug:::: on the way to the bank.

Universities are the same — they sell a dream and future income, there aren’t very many sophisticated people at age 18. They get paid, student is in debt, and unfortunately, there is no bankruptcy or foreclosure for student loans.

I’d be more okay with student loans dischargeable in bankruptcy (that requires a filing, intrusive look at the applicant’s finances, and appearing before a federal judge) vs. outright forgiveness.

Oh it was even worse than that. NINJA = no income, no justifiable assets.

They literally funded a loan based on the pure appreciation of the asset (house) and a credit score.

But the other issue was that there was definitely steering involved. A-grade borrowers were often coached to state higher incomes, and placed into SISA loans that didn’t look for documentation. It was a win-win because the brokers that did this just padded the margin.

These dudes and dudettes had no fiduciary responsibility, so it was one big :::shrug:::: on the way to the bank.

Universities are the same — they sell a dream and future income, there aren’t very many sophisticated people at age 18. They get paid, student is in debt, and unfortunately, there is no bankruptcy or foreclosure for student loans.

I’d be more okay with student loans dischargeable in bankruptcy (that requires a filing, intrusive look at the applicant’s finances, and appearing before a federal judge) vs. outright forgiveness.

What did banks learn from the financial crisis? Don't give out a mortgage if the buyer isn't qualified. They need to do the same for student loans. Don't give out loans if the degree is not qualified to pay it back. No student loans should be given for BS majors with no financial outlook such as psychology, sociology, pharmacy etc.

What did banks learn from the financial crisis? Don't give out a mortgage if the buyer isn't qualified. They need to do the same for student loans. Don't give out loans if the degree is not qualified to pay it back. No student loans should be given for BS majors with no financial outlook such as psychology, sociology, pharmacy etc.

I feel you, but the problem is that degree != career. I have friends that got economics degrees and do really well in private equity, etc… but it is, at its heart, a social sciences degree.

Same with biology - that is a mostly dead end degree with very limited career prospects, but it’s also the degree that usually meets pre-health requirements best (medical, nursing, etc…).

It’s easier for, say, chemistry, math and engineering degrees to point to specific careers…but what if you want to be an elementary school teacher? Are we going to defund loans to non-STEM, because of the supposed career prospects of a psychology degree?

Now you have someone not interested in STEM taking up STEM space, just so they can get a student loan, so they can go do non-STEM stuff after graduating.

In fact, if I were a university and such a career-degree-loan rule existed, I would create a sub-track chemistry degree for all of these folks and advertise it as such. These classes already exist (we had biology courses designed for non-majors, they were deceptively simple — there existed a chemistry course that took the first semester and stretched it out over 1 year), and it would create a whole slew of entirely new problems.

I am surprised no one has discussed the impact of student loan forgiveness on inflation.

What do you think is going to happen when Paul get his $2000 monthly student bill (supposed to restart in September) gets wiped out? He's going to spend the extra money on a car, vacation, boat, etc. Peter (and the plumbers, electricians, and others with decent paying jobs with no student debt) will either have to pay for it in taxes, or he will have to pay more for goods and services since now Paul now has more disposable income to compete with everyone else.

We all act like student loan forgiveness is a something-for-nothing scheme. It doesn't work that way when goods and services are limited and inflation is already at over 9%.

I am surprised no one has discussed the impact of student loan forgiveness on inflation.

What do you think is going to happen when Paul get his $2000 monthly student bill (supposed to restart in September) gets wiped out? He's going to spend the extra money on a car, vacation, boat, etc. Peter (and the plumbers, electricians, and others with decent paying jobs with no student debt) will either have to pay for it in taxes, or he will have to pay more for goods and services since now Paul now has more disposable income to compete with everyone else.

We all act like student loan forgiveness is a something-for-nothing scheme. It doesn't work that way when goods and services are limited and inflation is already at over 9%.

I've been saying this the whole time but everyone calls me selfish.

I've been saying this the whole time but everyone calls me selfish.

Everyone seems to downplay or deny the negative economic effects of loan forgiveness when I bring those up. One example being the myth that student loan forgiveness has a neutral or positive impact on those without loans and that those who oppose are just bitter and want to make others suffer.

I am indeed selfish for opposing an economic program that hurts my present and future purchasing power simply because I had the virtue to pay off my loans like a responsible citizen. If student loans get forgiven then what’s the point of ever paying back any loans?

Probably something greater than zero, but I doubt much, only because federal loans have been paused since March 2020, so the inflation rate you see likely reflects that.

The light consensus is another payment pause through the end of the year, I don’t think loan holders will pull back on spending until a month before that date. Gas is already on the decline, be interesting to see if we’ve peaked.

That said, Paul’s $2000/mo payment? That IDR? Dude must make $250k-$300k a year, not sure if giving him $2k/mo back will result in corresponding spend (that’s the argument for giving low income people stimulus, they will spend it on essential goods/services).

And last note, this is America, corporations externalize costs all the time. People should do the same, none of this froo froo feelings of fairness stuff. Renters pay for my mortgage interest deduction and capital gains exemption, childless people pay for kids, people who don’t invest pay for my tax loss harvesting, and non-solar owners paid for 30% of my panels AND pay higher electric rates because of NEM policies.

Loan forgiveness, if enacted (even partially, or enhanced through policy changes) would follow in that great tradition.

And last note, this is America, corporations externalize costs all the time. People should do the same, none of this froo froo feelings of fairness stuff. Renters pay for my mortgage interest deduction and capital gains exemption, childless people pay for kids, people who don’t invest pay for my tax loss harvesting, and non-solar owners paid for 30% of my panels AND pay higher electric rates because of NEM policies.

Loan forgiveness, if enacted (even partially, or enhanced through policy changes) would follow in that great tradition.

Here is how it differs. If you complain that I get the child tax credit then feel free to have kids and get the credit yourself, no one is stopping you. If I want the same solar panel credit that you got then I'll get solar panels. Everyone is eligible to get the same benefits.

But we already paid our student loans, so we get absolutely nothing. We want the same benefit as loan forgiveness but are denied. Either cut everyone a check or give nothing at all.

Last edited:
Here is how it differs. If you complain that I get the child tax credit then feel free to have kids and get the credit yourself, no one is stopping you. If I want the same solar panel credit that you got then I'll get solar panels. Everyone is eligible to get the same benefits.

But we already paid our student loans, so we get absolutely nothing. We want the same benefit as loan forgiveness but are denied. Either cut everyone a check or give nothing at all.
Not everyone can have children. I mean this argument is bogus for lots of reasons but it’s especially non-factual to say that anyone who wants a child tax credit can just have a child.

Arguably, it’s easier for you to go out and get another degree to take advantage of some freebie loans vs. an infertile couple having kids to take advantage of the tax credit.

Or, I guess it’s technically possible for me to start a major multinational corporation based in Ireland to take advantage of some depreciation bonuses and preferred repatriation tax rates, but unlikely to happen.

I’m just hammering on the point (or beating a dead horse?) that no policy or government spend is fair to all people, either technically or realistically, so why all of a sudden the focus on student loan forgiveness as unfair?

Reactions: 3 users
Not everyone can have children. I mean this argument is bogus for lots of reasons but it’s especially non-factual to say that anyone who wants a child tax credit can just have a child.

They can also adopt and get the adoption tax credit.

I’m just hammering on the point (or beating a dead horse?) that no policy or government spend is fair to all people, either technically or realistically, so why all of a sudden the focus on student loan forgiveness as unfair?

We should protest against policies that are unfair and encourage poor behavior. If we forgive just the loans of those who didn’t pay them off diligently, then what is the point of ever paying off any loans ever? Might as well not pay any bills and sit there waiting for the government to bail you out.

Subsidizing solar panels provides society a net good due to reduced demand on the power grid and less greenhouse gas emissions. Subsidizing able bodied borrowers who didn’t pay off their debt responsibly only encourages more irresponsibility.

Student loan forgiveness may also be viewed as a regressive handout to since those with college degrees and above tend not earn more (in gross salary) than those without. The poorest do not benefit and may actually suffer from more inflation.

Last edited:
It is ridiculous to forgive student loans even if you don’t have a problem paying it back. It is just going to encourage colleges to increase tuition and students to borrow more than they need to. It is literally free money.
This. If we do something about the ever increasing tuition problem then some amount of forgiveness wouldn't be a problem for me.

Reactions: 4 users
It is ridiculous to forgive student loans even if you don’t have a problem paying it back. It is just going to encourage colleges to increase tuition and students to borrow more than they need to. It is literally free money.

Which the borrowers will end up further subsidizing college administrators and local real estate, restaurants, entertainment, etc. leading to more inflation.

Seems to me that the whole $1.7T student loan debt ended up being a back door stimulus package for the economy. Now instead of borrowers paying it back as they agreed the burden is being shifted to taxpayers.

And not everyone can go to college, so I'm not sure what your argument is.
Are you gaslighting me? Wasn’t YOUR argument that anyone who wants the child credit can get it? That’s just factually incorrect.