1st time here

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alabamahopefull

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!!!

I was really hoping for some feedback for the upcoming 2014-2015 admission cycle. I am currently waitlisted at two schools and have been planning for a "worse comes to worse" situation and will be applyingJune 1st, hoping that I will gain admission for 2015. I have:
1000+ volunteer hours
100+ hours shadowing an MD
A letter from a D.O
paid my way through college
great LOR's
CURRENT GPAS: 3.25 (cum), 3.18 (science), 3.3 (non science)
MCAT: 28
**I had a real rough start during my second and third year of college, but have worked very hard to raise my GPA and am graduating cum-laude from my university this May. Also, when I applied this cycle my science GPA was 2.66 and this is why I was waitlisted.

Note: I am shooting for DO schools!
Thank you so much guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What have you done to improve your application for this uncoming cycle? ADCOMs will want to see improvement and see what you did this year to further develop your application.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2

Members don't see this ad :)
What have you done to improve your application for this uncoming cycle? ADCOMs will want to see improvement and see what you did this year to further develop your application.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2
Thank you for your reply. When I applied this cycle I had a 3.1 Cummalitive and 2.66 science. For this upcoming cycle I was able to raise my Cummalitive to a 3.25 and science to a 3.18 (thank god for grade replacement). I've also been continuing to volunteer 5 hours a week and worked full time. I really hope I get In this time. I can't afford (financially or emotionally) to go through another application cycle.

That is great that you brought your GPAs up. That should make a difference, especially the Science GPA. Good luck this year. And you just might get off one of the wait lists. Have you updated the schools with your new GPAs and your further ECs?

That is great that you brought your GPAs up. That should make a difference, especially the Science GPA. Good luck this year. And you just might get off one of the wait lists. Have you updated the schools with your new GPAs and your further ECs?
I have, but unfortunately I have to wait until May 1st (when the semester finishes) so I can update my transcripts on AACOMAS. I hope I get off the waitlists, but am being realistic and not counting on it!!!!

I am in a very similar situation as yourself, waitlist wise. But! remember its really early now. The bulk of the waitlist movement happens in May and continues all throughout the summer. So keep strong! As for feedback, it is not very surprising that you got waitlisted with the 2.66 science GPA. I would not dwell on this though and take it as a strong victory. You got interviews and waitlisted with that GPA and THATS AMAZING. You did better than some people with a much higher GPA, so that has to say something about you. Including your interview.

One great thing you have going for you for next cycle is your upward trend in GPA so keep it up. One thing to consider and I hope you have already done is update your schools! You applied with a 2.66 sGPA but send an update to AACOMAS and let the school you applied to know this. In a way its as if you already started your new cycle with your new GPA. Most schools either have two waitlists (a normal and a priority list) or their list is ranked. Either way this could be the tipping point for getting you towards the top and closer to an acceptance. Also depending on the school and what they weigh heavy in their values I would suggest sending them continued volunteer experience and perhaps a letter of intent. Schools are much more likely to accept a student that shows continued interest compared with one who has been silent since their interview.

I wish you the best and hope you get in. Its tough, but be patient. I think everyone should get what they want academically if they put their heart and soul into it. I think schools will see your passion. You worked you way through college all while volunteering 1000+ hours. Thats incredible. Keep in there!

I am in a very similar situation as yourself, waitlist wise. But! remember its really early now. The bulk of the waitlist movement happens in May and continues all throughout the summer. So keep strong! As for feedback, it is not very surprising that you got waitlisted with the 2.66 science GPA. I would not dwell on this though and take it as a strong victory. You got interviews and waitlisted with that GPA and THATS AMAZING. You did better than some people with a much higher GPA, so that has to say something about you. Including your interview.

One great thing you have going for you for next cycle is your upward trend in GPA so keep it up. One thing to consider and I hope you have already done is update your schools! You applied with a 2.66 sGPA but send an update to AACOMAS and let the school you applied to know this. In a way its as if you already started your new cycle with your new GPA. Most schools either have two waitlists (a normal and a priority list) or their list is ranked. Either way this could be the tipping point for getting you towards the top and closer to an acceptance. Also depending on the school and what they weigh heavy in their values I would suggest sending them continued volunteer experience and perhaps a letter of intent. Schools are much more likely to accept a student that shows continued interest compared with one who has been silent since their interview.

I wish you the best and hope you get in. Its tough, but be patient. I think everyone should get what they want academically if they put their heart and soul into it. I think schools will see your passion. You worked you way through college all while volunteering 1000+ hours. Thats incredible. Keep in there!
Thank you for the words of encouragement. It really is helpful because sometimes the admissions process can be very depressing (as you must know yourself)! I do wish you all the best in getting pulled off the waitlist!! :D

My school will gladly take you. Apply broadly and you'll be fine.

Hey everyone!!!

I was really hoping for some feedback for the upcoming 2014-2015 admission cycle. I am currently waitlisted at two schools and have been planning for a "worse comes to worse" situation and will be applyingJune 1st, hoping that I will gain admission for 2015. I have:
1000+ volunteer hours
100+ hours shadowing an MD
A letter from a D.O
paid my way through college
great LOR's
CURRENT GPAS: 3.25 (cum), 3.18 (science), 3.3 (non science)
MCAT: 28
**I had a real rough start during my second and third year of college, but have worked very hard to raise my GPA and am graduating cum-laude from my university this May. Also, when I applied this cycle my science GPA was 2.66 and this is why I was waitlisted.

Note: I am shooting for DO schools!
Thank you so much guys!

Reactions: 1 users
Do you guys think I have a shot at MSU-COM? I have a ton of repeats and the admissions councelor said that is a red flag? Also, I'm an instate resident.

Do you guys think I have a shot at MSU-COM? I have a ton of repeats and the admissions councelor said that is a red flag? Also, I'm an instate resident.

There is always a chance. According to their website your stats are a little low, but applying as early as possible will definitely help. I know that they send secondaries to everyone, so at least you will for sure get to that stage. Believe me, I know this is stressful, but hang in there and never give up. Before you know it your dreams will come true!

So I thought I would update my info after this semester. Turns out that my gpa will be following when I apply:
Science: 3.06
Non science: 3.25
Cummalitive: 3.18
Mcat: 28

My science gpa is freaking me out. I'm going to take 9 more credits this summer and will hopefully be able to update my app with a science gpa of 3.19 august 1st