MD & DO 2.98cGPA, 38MCAT (1st time), Good EC's... am I screwed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dante311

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new. I haven't calculated my sGPA, but my stats are above. I have 2 years research experience that gave me a published abstract and a poster at a conference. I'd like to say my recommendations are strong, I've shadowed enough, I volunteer in the hospital doing misc work, and I've had patient contact through an athletic training internship.

Members don't see this ad.

You have the classic gpa/MCAT dissonance that scares off all risk averse admissions officers. Even with a great explanation you will have a significant challenge ahead (if you make it past the auto-screen).

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't really matter if you are the president of _____ (fill in whatever you want) if you get automatically screened out for <3.0 gpa (At least that's what I think.)
Hopefully your actual GPA is over a 3.0 but if it's not, take/retake one/few classes to get it above a 3.0gpa.
Good mcat though.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have the classic gpa/MCAT dissonance that scares off all risk averse admissions officers. Even with a great explanation you will have a significant challenge ahead (if you make it past the auto-screen).

Out of curiosity (and perhaps for the sake of future readers), can you please elaborate on why this dissonance is so scary? What are some assumptions that might be made by the adcom? Thanks!

Out of curiosity (and perhaps for the sake of future readers), can you please elaborate on why this dissonance is so scary? What are some assumptions that might be made by the adcom? Thanks!
In medicine we have something called a differential diagnosis.
What are the likely reasons for this unusual pairing of data points (gpa and MCAT)?

Last edited by a moderator:
It means you're a good standardized test taker, but not necessarily a good student. To put it another way, you might have a 90+ MPH fastball, but if you can't run, catch, field or hit, and have no control to boot, then heat alone won't get into onto a baseball team.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi, I'm new. I haven't calculated my sGPA, but my stats are above. I have 2 years research experience that gave me a published abstract and a poster at a conference. I'd like to say my recommendations are strong, I've shadowed enough, I volunteer in the hospital doing misc work, and I've had patient contact through an athletic training internship.
Please figure out your AMCAS BCPM GPA and (AACOMAS) sGPA (no math, and only the retake grade counts if you repeated coursework). Here is a calculator you can use:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/amcas-gpa-calculator-revised.590424/

There are some DO and MD schools that don't have 3.0 GPA automatic cutoffs. Those adcomms that take a closer look at your application will scrutinize your transcript carefully. What will they find as an explanation for your low GPA? There is a big difference in how you'd be viewed among 1) generally mediocre grades, 2) a terrible freshman year with a significant upward grade trend since then, and 3) a semester of Fs due to some devastating event with otherwise great grades.

I'd like to say you have a decent chance at DO if your AACOMAS c/s are both a bit above 3.0. MD... I don't think so (unless there's a whole lot of awesome stuff you're not sharing). Unfortunately, a good MCAT just doesn't make up for everything else.