*** 2008-2009 Secondary Application Thread ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GW has two essays:

If you are not attending school full-time during the entire 2008-2009 school year, please indicate activities, coursework,
employment, or other occupations for that period to account for full-time involvement. Please restrict your answer to three lines.

What is your specific interest in the MD Program at GW? What opportunities would you take advantage of as a student here? Please
restrict your answer to ten lines.

-R

So for these, we should just put N/A or something if we will be in class? Or should we write "I will continue my undergraduate program in the 2008-2009 school year and my involvement in ECs x,y, and z.."?

Seems like a bad idea to leave it blank, but I will be in school...

Members don't see this ad.

I put "n/a" for what it's worth

I put "n/a" for what it's worth

That's what I'm leaning towards.

Another thought... this is stupid, but what kind of photo are you guys using? Did you go get a passport photo? Or did you just take a picture and crop it or whatever?

Members don't see this ad :)
https://webapp.louisville.edu/coldfusion2/webs/somaps/default.cfm
[email protected]

If you are an out of state student, please explain your interest in attending the
University of Louisville School of Medicine: (500 characters)

What determined your choice of college(s)? (500 characters)

How do you assess your college record? (500 characters)

Circumstances adversely affecting your academic performance? (500 characters)

Research Experience (including any publications and/or curriculum vitae) (500 characters)

Academic/Occupational background of family members (list highest degree earned and current occupation): (separate fields for father and mother, 500 characters each)

Then they ask you to list all employment, activities, travel, hobbies, interests.....

How do you see yourself practicing medicine after residency training?
(Please include choice of medical practice and location) (500 characters)

Discuss briefly why you have decided to pursue a M.D. degree program: (500 characters)

A premedical Advisory Committee Report from your college. If your college does not have a Premedical Advisory Committee, you may request three (3) letters of recommendation from your professors, preferably two from science disciplines and one from a non-science discipline. If you are reapplying within two years, no new recommendations are needed, provided your previous ones are complete. Reminder, go to the 'Audit' tab to list the names of the persons writing your letters of recommendation.

Last edited:
Did anyone get UMDNJ-NJMS secondary yet?

That's what I'm leaning towards.

Another thought... this is stupid, but what kind of photo are you guys using? Did you go get a passport photo? Or did you just take a picture and crop it or whatever?
I had my roommate take it with my digital camera and then went to CVS and had them print out several sheets (1 passport sheet, 1 2x1.5 sheet, 1 2x3 sheet ) so that I could have the photo in whatever size I was asked for. Overall I probably got about a total of 20 pictures for 93 cents. Each sheet was like 21 cents... and it took five minutes.

If you print it out using your own printer or something that isn't on photo paper it may look like you don't care. Might as well give them the nicest picture possible since we're spending so much time and effort on this process. I mean what's an extra dollar or two when we're spending hundreds if not thousands on application fees alone.

Did anyone else who applied to GW not receive their secondary? I still haven't been sent an e-mail.

SLU's is out: email invite
email : [email protected]

LOR:
1) Premed committee or three professors (at least one science).
1) Three optional allowed as well.

Questions:
Standard questions, no essays, plus this optional one (no char limit that I can tell)

4. Do you wish to include any comments, other than your AMCAS personal statement, to the Admissions Committee?

Link:

https://www.oasprod3.com/schools/slusom

Last edited:
Did anyone else who applied to GW not receive their secondary? I still haven't been sent an e-mail.

I think that they are having some problems right now. I received two email invites for GW within 30 mins of each other (same exact email). Then about 3 hours later I received an email giving a new link to their semester hours calculator because the one originally listed was incorrect. Hang in there; I am sure that you will get it soon.

I got the Miami email stating they will decide shortly whether to send me the secondary. Maybe because I'm out of state??

I cant seem to log into Rochester. I type my AAMC id and last name and it says welcome but then I just see an alert about enabling JavaScript (even tho it's enabled on my computer). Has anyone actually filled out the Rochester application?

I got the Miami email stating they will decide shortly whether to send me the secondary. Maybe because I'm out of state??

I cant seem to log into Rochester. I type my AAMC id and last name and it says welcome but then I just see an alert about enabling JavaScript (even tho it's enabled on my computer). Has anyone actually filled out the Rochester application?

I think there were a few posts saying that Rochester's application was broken and they want students to wait till 7/1/08.

I had my roommate take it with my digital camera and then went to CVS and had them print out several sheets (1 passport sheet, 1 2x1.5 sheet, 1 2x3 sheet ) so that I could have the photo in whatever size I was asked for. Overall I probably got about a total of 20 pictures for 93 cents. Each sheet was like 21 cents... and it took five minutes.

If you print it out using your own printer or something that isn't on photo paper it may look like you don't care. Might as well give them the nicest picture possible since we're spending so much time and effort on this process. I mean what's an extra dollar or two when we're spending hundreds if not thousands on application fees alone.
I'm pretty sure the picture is the last thing anybody should be worried about. I'm just going to print a picture of my face and tape it on there. I seriously doubt they care.

Members don't see this ad :)

That is interesting. I got the same email...but I also read this on their web page:

The Miller School of Medicine has a new policy of sending secondary applications to all US citizens and permanent residents who submit an AMCAS application. It will be the applicant's decision whether to fill out the secondary application and submit it.

I'm pretty sure the picture is the last thing anybody should be worried about. I'm just going to print a picture of my face and tape it on there. I seriously doubt they care.

Actually I have heard from several members of adcoms that they expect you to send in a professional looking photo. If you look mildly presentable in a polo or something of the sort you are fine. But if your photo is of you doing something ridiculous they look down upon that.

Hey are you guys going to fill out SLUs optional essay?

Hey are you guys going to fill out SLUs optional essay?

Im leaning towards not doing it....I cant really think of anything superb to add to my AMCAS PS or work/ECs info without becoming redundant. I guess unless you wanted to talk about some exceptional reason why you are applying to SLU specifically or something like that.

Hi everyone,
Are the secondary prompts the same for people applying to MD/PhD programs? If not, does anyone know where I can get the secondary prompts?

Also, I have not yet submitted my primary. How long does it take after I hit submit on AMCAS online application before I receive secondaries from medical schools? Are all secondaries online applications?
Thanks!

Hi everyone,
Are the secondary prompts the same for people applying to MD/PhD programs? If not, does anyone know where I can get the secondary prompts?

Also, I have not yet submitted my primary. How long does it take after I hit submit on AMCAS online application before I receive secondaries from medical schools? Are all secondaries online applications?
Thanks!

If you submit now you are looking AT LEAST 7 business days, most probably longer before verification. (I still think we should do a growth curve to start predicting....) Most secondaries are on-line, but not all are. I know for at least a few schools, the mSTP questions are in addition to the MD questions, but we don't have links yet.

Yep, me neither. I am not verified yet, but other people who are still ready for review have gotten it. I guess it will come eventually...

Haven't gotten SLU's yet either.

Yep, me neither. I am not verified yet, but other people who are still ready for review have gotten it. I guess it will come eventually...

Haven't gotten SLU's yet either.

I was concerned because I was verified on June 4th. and I know other schools have received my AMCAS. I called and all she could say was that they didn't have my AMCAS. I guess I just have to be patient. :idea:

Thanks for organizing this Shemarty .. its proving to be such a valuable resource!!

I feel like I am applying to too many out-of-reach schools.I would really appreciate some feedback on my mdapplicants profile, especially about the list of my schools

I'm not a regular poster around her, just a lurker, but I wanna say thanks to shemarty for this as well.

Much appreciated! :D:thumbup:

Aaah! So many schools!

It was much more managable when it was only half a dozen, haha.

Please PM me when you have info that you'd like me to update on the 1st page. Sometimes I don't see it if you just make post about it.

Do you guys like having a school specific thread for each and every school? I'm not sure whether people find these useful. Any feedback about this?

Also, is it useful to post the e-mail address of the school's admissiosn office? That info is easily found online, but I was trying to make it more easily accessible by having it next to the prompt and LOR requirement. But.. it's cluttering up the index. So let me know how you feel about it.

Thanks, good luck to everybody, and I'm glad you're finding this thread useful!

Shemarty

Last edited:
Aaah! So many schools!

It was much more managable when it was only half a dozen, haha.

Please PM me when you have info that you'd like me to update on the 1st page. Sometimes I don't see it if you just make post about it.

Do you guys like having a school specific thread for each and every school? I'm not sure whether people find these useful. Any feedback about this?

Also, is it useful to post the e-mail address of the school's admissiosn office? That info is easily found online, but I was trying to make it more easily accessible by having it next to the prompt and LOR requirement. But.. it's cluttering up the index. So let me know how you feel about it.

Thanks, good luck to everybody, and I'm glad you're finding this thread useful!

Shemarty
Yes, I like having individual school posts. Thanks again for organizing this.

I also like having the individual school posts. Its getting difficult to navigate through this one...great idea though Shemarty!

I have 2 questions. One specific to a secondary and one general.

I received Florida State U's secondary yesterday and it asks "list your significant travel experiences" (I know this was addressed on the first page but my question is different).

Question about FSU Secondary:
Do they mean travel experiences in college or any from your life time?

General Question:
when schools asks generic questions like this about non-academic or non-ECs is it a rule of thumb to stick to only college stuff or if applicable (like above statement) can you include stuff from before?

I ask because I havent traveled "significantly" (I doubt Vegas counts) too much during college. But I have traveled very significantly in high school and junior high.

Please answer both the questions if you can.

Thanks!
:)

https://webapp.louisville.edu/coldfusion2/webs/somaps/default.cfm
[email protected]

If you are an out of state student, please explain your interest in attending the
University of Louisville School of Medicine: (500 characters)

What determined your choice of college(s)? (500 characters)

How do you assess your college record? (500 characters)

Circumstances adversely affecting your academic performance? (500 characters)

Research Experience (including any publications and/or curriculum vitae) (500 characters)

Academic/Occupational background of family members (list highest degree earned and current occupation): (separate fields for father and mother, 500 characters each)

Then they ask you to list all employment, activities, travel, hobbies, interests.....

How do you see yourself practicing medicine after residency training?
(Please include choice of medical practice and location) (500 characters)

Discuss briefly why you have decided to pursue a M.D. degree program: (500 characters)

A premedical Advisory Committee Report from your college. If your college does not have a Premedical Advisory Committee, you may request three (3) letters of recommendation from your professors, preferably two from science disciplines and one from a non-science discipline. If you are reapplying within two years, no new recommendations are needed, provided your previous ones are complete. Reminder, go to the 'Audit' tab to list the names of the persons writing your letters of recommendation.

Aw man, I want one from Louisville. Are you in-state?

So Emory sent out an E-mail today to the verified applicants and goes as follows:
" We have received your verified application data from AMCAS.

The 2009 Emory Supplemental Application website should be live by the end of July. As soon as the site is open, we will send you more details. All verified applicants will be invited to complete the Emory Supplemental Application.

In the meantime, please be sure to keep your contact information, particularly your email address, updated with AMCAS. Your preferred email address with AMCAS is where we will send the supplemental application link and log-in instructions.

We thank you for your interest in Emory University School of Medicine!

Emory University School of Medicine Admissions Team"

Their email is [email protected]

I was concerned because I was verified on June 4th. and I know other schools have received my AMCAS. I called and all she could say was that they didn't have my AMCAS. I guess I just have to be patient. :idea:

I haven't received any secondaries yet either and I was verified June 4th as well...I'm just focusing on drafting my essays for the ones whose prompts I already know. It must take them a long time to sift through the huge group of people who applied in the first few weeks. At least that's what I'm telling myself :)

I expected this to be much more fast paced. So far I only have two that are up, and I applied to 23 schools.

FIU

You must answer all 4 essays. (Limit each essay to 1200 characters including spaces.)

• Of the experiences listed on your AMCAS application, which one activity made the greatest impact on your desire to be a physician and why?
  • Why are you specifically interested in the FIU College of Medicine? In what way(s) do you fit the mission of this medical school?
  • The admissions committee seeks to identify those applicants who will contribute heterogeneity to the medical school class. How will you contribute to the diversity of the student body of the FIU College of Medicine?
  • Identify any traits, experiences, challenges, interests, etc. that a professor or advisor would not normally know about you and that you have not already written about in your AMCAS personal statement. Is there anything else that you would like the admissions committee to know about you?

36+ schools and so far:

Yale, GWU, SLU, Emory (notification), WashU

...and what was the purpose of Univ of Miami sending out an Email saying they received it but wont send out secondaries till later?

Is there anyone else who has not yet received GW's secondary? I'm worried I must have deleted it in my junk mail or something.

Is there anyone else who has not yet received GW's secondary? I'm worried I must have deleted it in my junk mail or something.

I haven't received it either... and according to the GW secondary thread there are several others who still haven't received it and others who have received it multiple times... weird. :confused:

FIU

You must answer all 4 essays. (Limit each essay to 1200 characters including spaces.)

• Of the experiences listed on your AMCAS application, which one activity made the greatest impact on your desire to be a physician and why?
  • Why are you specifically interested in the FIU College of Medicine? In what way(s) do you fit the mission of this medical school?
  • The admissions committee seeks to identify those applicants who will contribute heterogeneity to the medical school class. How will you contribute to the diversity of the student body of the FIU College of Medicine?
  • Identify any traits, experiences, challenges, interests, etc. that a professor or advisor would not normally know about you and that you have not already written about in your AMCAS personal statement. Is there anything else that you would like the admissions committee to know about you?

Link to the website?

Although not a secondary per se, I received this from UWisc today:

The University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health (SMPH) has recently received your AMCAS application. At the point of receipt of the AMCAS application, each medical school has a unique system of processing the applications. At SMPH our Admissions staff verifies that minimum MCAT scores of 7 in verbal reasoning, 7 in physical sciences, 8 in biological sciences and GPA of 2.8 are met. Those meeting minimum scores are invited to submit our secondary application. This invitation will come via email accompanied by instructions on how to proceed.

Seems likely that secondaries from these guys will be out soon. Hope this helps.

Still haven't received the GWU secondary e-mail yet. Granted my AMCAS isn't verified, but it seems like there are some who have gotten it before verification.

has anyone called/emailed gwu? i feel like with all of this commotion someone may have... but yes, this is certainly strange, esp. since i thought they sent secondaries to all applicants.

I updated the 1st post with Yale's info!

I selfishly filled it all out myself (except the "why Yale?" essay) before I got around to posting it on SDN. :oops: I couldn't help myself, haha...

Good luck everybody!

Has anyone received the Yale secondary application without having a verified AMCAS? I'm still waiting to be verified - have received GW's and USUHS's but no others. I guess certain schools have different policies about when and to whom the secondary is released... I'll just start work on the Yale essay (thanks to the info in this thread :thumbup:) and assume I'll receive a link when verified!

Also - just in case anyone was wondering... I called GW to check on the entering of pre-req courses on their secondary application. If your lab is listed separately on your transcript but has 0.00 credit hours designated to it, you would still check YES under "Lab and Lecture combined?". I was also reminded by the admissions staff that they will be looking at the entire transcripts from AMCAS, so there is no need to put down every Bio course you have taken - just enough to equal their pre-requisite credit hours. :) Just in case anyone else was working on this one and wondering...

I thought it might be useful to post the fees for the secondaries as well, for planning purposes.
The only ones I have a number for so far:

GW: 125 bucks
SLU: 100 bucks

When you add it to the price of the AMCAS and the MCAT, This is all going to cost over 2 grand - before you even get to interviews. yay.

I thought it might be useful to post the fees for the secondaries as well, for planning purposes.
The only ones I have a number for so far:

GW: 125 bucks
SLU: 100 bucks

When you add it to the price of the AMCAS and the MCAT, This is all going to cost over 2 grand - before you even get to interviews. yay.
The MSAR has thecost for secondaries for the schools. Good resource.

Hey Fellow Applicants,

I am currently doing some work abroad so I am trying to get all the secondaries in from here! I am so thankful for this website because I would have never been able to track down all these secondaries the moment they opened because the internet time here is limited!

Its good that some of the schools overlap, but I am just worried about the other schools not on the list created by Shemarty. Will that list be updated or do I have to go around and check whether the other school have opened their apps?

Thanks for all your help!

Hey Fellow Applicants,

I am currently doing some work abroad so I am trying to get all the secondaries in from here! I am so thankful for this website because I would have never been able to track down all these secondaries the moment they opened because the internet time here is limited!

Its good that some of the schools overlap, but I am just worried about the other schools not on the list created by Shemarty. Will that list be updated or do I have to go around and check whether the other school have opened their apps?

Thanks for all your help!
As long as someone here posts when they get the secondary, she'll update it. Most secondaries are not out. I think we had full coverage in a timely manner last year.

SSS403.. lol.. i just got my secondary application invitation email.. i saw all the essays.. i logged out.. im tired of typing.. sheesh.. anyways.. i just wanted to complain.. you must be a good essay writer.. I havent even begun to type any secondary application essay.. I have 3 schools pending.. pray for me..!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.