*** 2008-2009 Secondary Application Thread ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as someone here posts when they get the secondary, she'll update it. Most secondaries are not out. I think we had full coverage in a timely manner last year.

Haha, yea I check this thread waaay too often :D

I'm not only keeping track of the 14 schools that I applied to, but also any other schools that any SDN member posts about. I'm trying to create a very comprehensive index. (I will probably go nuts in July, as dozens more become available...)

Good luck with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

why couldnt most schools send out secondaries on Fridays???

That way we could have all weekend to work on them....sheesh.

I just hope that they all dont dump down on us in one miserable heep. I have had barely enough time at night after work and working out to give attention to the three secondaries I have received

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, yea I check this thread waaay too often :D

I'm not only keeping track of the 14 schools that I applied to, but also any other schools that any SDN member posts about. I'm trying to create a very comprehensive index. (I will probably go nuts in July, as dozens more become available...)

Good luck with your application!

You're efforts are much appreciated by all of us! This is great. I'm just wondering how you're able to keep up with all of this in addition to everything you list on mdapps?

You're efforts are much appreciated by all of us! This is great. I'm just wondering how you're able to keep up with all of this in addition to everything you list on mdapps?

I'm sitting at the cardiovascular research center right now, calling up cardiologists offices to get post-op followup from patients........and I'm on SDN.....while simultaneously working on the Hopkins secondary essays.

Multi-tasking is key. I wish I had a timeturner. That'd be a nice solution, too. :D

I'm sitting at the cardiovascular research center right now, calling up cardiologists offices to get post-op followup from patients........and I'm on SDN.....while simultaneously working on the Hopkins secondary essays.

Multi-tasking is key. I wish I had a timeturner. That'd be a nice solution, too. :D

I'm basically doing the exact same thing. lol.

I wish I had a timeturner.

:laugh: i wish i had a timeturner too. then i could go to work and get my secondary essays done at the same time!...and maybe go to the beach tomorrow.

:laugh: i wish i had a timeturner too. then i could go to work and get my secondary essays done at the same time!...and maybe go to the beach tomorrow.

If you had a timeturner, you could go to the beach yesterday :eek:

Hey guys - do you think it's worth sending LORs w/ rush delivery for $20 extra?

Maybe if it were September, but we're already so early that I don't think there's much point in rushing our LORs.

I'm not going to pay to have mine rushed.

^ Says the girl who paid $13 bucks to see her SAT scores 2 weeks early :oops:

if a secondary app asks for no more than 1500 characters, does this include or exclude spaces? and also, how bad do you guys think it looks if I made two minor typos on my primary app personal essay? lol i didn't realize until just now, even though i submitted to amcas awhile ago... thanks!

if a secondary app asks for no more than 1500 characters, does this include or exclude spaces? and also, how bad do you guys think it looks if I made two minor typos on my primary app personal essay? lol i didn't realize until just now, even though i submitted to amcas awhile ago... thanks!

It's usually including spaces.

I'm not sure how the typos will look, it might vary depending on who's reading...

Hello everyone!

I was verified by AMCAS on the 12th. From this thread, I have seen some applicants receive Saint Louis's secondary. I still haven't received it. Is there some kind of glitch like GW or am I just prematurely worrying?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Damn....MCW is on top of things...THey marked my application complete yesterday at 11.

Damn....MCW is on top of things...THey marked my application complete yesterday at 11.
They got your LOR's already? I had interfolio send them Tuesday but am still waiting...

My application was submitted and sent to medical schools over a week ago but I have only received a couple of secondary invites. Is that supposed to happen or should I have received more? I sent off about ten apps.

My application was submitted and sent to medical schools over a week ago but I have only received a couple of secondary invites. Is that supposed to happen or should I have received more? I sent off about ten apps.

Chill out, a lot of secondaries aren't out yet. I have only gotten 4 secondary apps and applied to more than 4 schools.

Right. I applied to 30+ schools and have received only 3 secondary apps. You're fine. Get used to being completely at the mercy of the convenience of each of the medical schools you applied to. Get used to being told when to do things for others by, but having no idea when things are going to be done for you by (beyond any far-off deadline like "by May 15, 2009" or something like that).

As you can tell, there's a little frustration in my writing... as I am in the process of getting used to this myself.

Good luck!

Last edited:
The really are on top of things. Its really impressive. Other schools could learn from them.

For Medical College of Wisconsin, I picked "Packet Letter" option, can I send a package of 7 letters? By the way I can't find the specific address to send to, is the General admission office address from the web site the one I should use? Can some one help? Thank you!

Last edited:
For schools which ask 2 questions (such as Albany: (1) life experience, (2) most valuable EC): do we have to answer both, or just pick one ???

For schools which ask 2 questions (such as Albany: (1) life experience, (2) most valuable EC): do we have to answer both, or just pick one ???

I'm not applying to Albany, but if it doesn't say "pick one" anywhere, then you probably have to write both. :)

Anyone know what SLU is looking for in their optional essay? I am almost tempted to write another PS...=/?

Albany released their secondary? I haven't gotten it yet. :( ?

Saint Louis just asks if there's anything else you'd like to say, right? I didn't know there was an optional "essay"?

Anyone know what SLU is looking for in their optional essay? I am almost tempted to write another PS...=/?

Woah! the weirdest thing just happened to me with the SLU's secondary!

Can you guys check too? I just submitted it and paid for it. It said I'd receive a confirmation but I didn't. Earlier this afternoon, my email was listed as the contact e-mail. After submission, I checked and it was changed to a GMail account email! I googled the username of the gmail account and came across webshots pictures of this guy on a beach!

Could they have made a mistake and sent the same login info to more than 1 person? Whatever happened, thank god I submitted it before anything happened. I should also change my password.

I've been having lots of trouble with SLU's website (I have a mac so no IE). I've entered things like 3 times and told it to save and it hasn't, I'm just going to have to do that one at school (like FSU).

I personally think that they are just asking for additional info if you having any. meaning that it is truly optional. However, I did right a short paragraph stating why I would specifically be interested in their school.

They got your LOR's already? I had interfolio send them Tuesday but am still waiting...
Yeah..I sent out my LORs and submitted the secondary on the 24th...so 3 days w/ snail mail LORs...Impressive

Can you post the complete questions, or are you just looking at last year's prompts?

For Medical College of Wisconsin, I picked "Packet Letter" option, can I send a package of 7 letters? By the way I can't find the specific address to send to, is the General admission office address from the web site the one I should use? Can some one help? Thank you!

Can you guys check too? I just submitted it and paid for it. It said I'd receive a confirmation but I didn't. Earlier this afternoon, my email was listed as the contact e-mail. After submission, I checked and it was changed to a GMail account email! I googled the username of the gmail account and came across webshots pictures of this guy on a beach!

Could they have made a mistake and sent the same login info to more than 1 person? Whatever happened, thank god I submitted it before anything happened. I should also change my password.

Same thing happened to me. Must be a problem with the coding. Probably not a case of someone stealing your password. On another note, those beach pictures make me jealous.

Maybe we should send him a message and ask what's going on. He's on facebook..."Eric Wiesner" "Wisconsin Alum '06"

Maybe we should send him a message and ask what's going on. He's on facebook..."Eric Wiesner" "Wisconsin Alum '06"

lol yeah, that's him. I already sent an email yesterday.. you should too, so they know it's a concern. I'll update this thread on the reply when I get it.

lol yeah, that's him. I already sent an email yesterday.. you should too, so they know it's a concern. I'll update this thread on the reply when I get it.
Creepy happened to me too... must be some sort of glitch

Anybody know if the address you use on secondaries has to match the one on AMCAS?

Situation: I put my parent's address on my AMCAS b/c I was going to be moving mid-application cycle and didn't know what my new address would be. Now, I am at the new address. Should I just use my parent's address for everything on secondaries? (Will I have to update/resubmit/reverify my AMCAS if I use my new address on secondaries?)

Thanks!

Also, anyone know if when entering classes on secondaries if you should enter them as they are on your transcripts or how AMCAS entered them? (specifically in reference to the grade and year)

Anybody know if the address you use on secondaries has to match the one on AMCAS?

Situation: I put my parent's address on my AMCAS b/c I was going to be moving mid-application cycle and didn't know what my new address would be. Now, I am at the new address. Should I just use my parent's address for everything on secondaries? (Will I have to update/resubmit/reverify my AMCAS if I use my new address on secondaries?)

Thanks!

Also, anyone know if when entering classes on secondaries if you should enter them as they are on your transcripts or how AMCAS entered them? (specifically in reference to the grade and year)

I think you should give the most up-to-date address. That's what it's for. You should also notify AMCAS, and it's one of the few changes you can make without having to resubmit/reverify. One I move to my new place, I will update schools and AMCAS.

I have been entering classes on secondaries with their full name because my transcript has too many abbreviations (although that is how I entered it on AMCAS since they are suppose to be identical). Shouldn't matter though either way.

I think you should give the most up-to-date address. That's what it's for. You should also notify AMCAS, and it's one of the few changes you can make without having to resubmit/reverify. One I move to my new place, I will update schools and AMCAS.

I have been entering classes on secondaries with their full name because my transcript has too many abbreviations (although that is how I entered it on AMCAS since they are suppose to be identical). Shouldn't matter though either way.

According to the AMCAS help section, you will have to recertify and resubmit. Does this mean it will be "instantly" changed? OR will it take 4-6 weeks?

According to the AMCAS help section, you will have to recertify and resubmit. Does this mean it will be "instantly" changed? OR will it take 4-6 weeks?

It would make sense that you have to recertify/resubmit since you are changing information (even if it's just contact information), but I'm almost positive that you don't have to get reverified (so it should be instantaneous). Feel free to call AMCAS and get a definitive answer...and don't forget to let the rest of us know for sure!

It would make sense that you have to recertify/resubmit since you are changing information (even if it's just contact information), but I'm almost positive that you don't have to get reverified (so it should be instantaneous). Feel free to call AMCAS and get a definitive answer...and don't forget to let the rest of us know for sure!

You were correct JDOC. I called AMCAS....Basically, since I was already verified, I just had to resubmit and recertify, but the changes go through instantly and updates are sent out to schools who've already downloaded the information.

Since it wasn't my situation, I'm not certain but from what the lady said, it seems if you were making changes while in line to be verified, that you would keep your spot.

Hope this helps everyone!

You were correct JDOC. I called AMCAS....Basically, since I was already verified, I just had to resubmit and recertify, but the changes go through instantly and updates are sent out to schools who've already downloaded the information.

Since it wasn't my situation, I'm not certain but from what the lady said, it seems if you were making changes while in line to be verified, that you would keep your spot.

Hope this helps everyone!

Thanks for the update.

Just got an "Application Receipt Notification" from Indiana.

Still no word from GW?

I think it is best just to use the address you put down on AMCAS. They might misplace your application otherwise.

You know, you hear about all these people all the time whose applications get lost for a few months... why do something that puts you at risk? I'm just having my parents forward it to me right away.

Thanks!

Has anyone else been verified awhile ago and did not recieve the St. Louis secondary?

for anyone applying to wayne:
secondaries will be sent starting last week in july.

Have any more secondaries come out that I missed on the 1st page?

I called U Penn and Baylor this morning, and updated that info.

Have any more secondaries come out that I missed on the 1st page?

I called U Penn and Baylor this morning, and updated that info.

Just got an email from UAMS. They are mailing their secondary.

Just got an email from UAMS. They are mailing their secondary.

Snail Mail? Once you receive it, can you PM me with the prompt and LOR requirements? I'll update it then.

UVa is out, three essays, one different from last year's.

Why are you interested in attending
the University of Virginia School of Medicine?

[SIZE=-1](Please limit your response to 300 words.)[/SIZE]

How will you contribute to the diversity of your medical school class and the University of Virginia School of Medicine?
[SIZE=-1](Please limit your response to 300 words.)

[/SIZE]What do you think will be your greatest personal challenge
as a physician, and how will you address this?

[SIZE=-1](Please limit your response to 300 words.)

$80 app fee, website is http://www.healthsystem.virginia.edu/internet/supplemental-app/supplemental-form.cfm

good luck everyone :thumbup:
[/SIZE]

Status
Not open for further replies.