2009-2010 Grad School Interview Invite Thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i cant say where yet bc i know only the person i want to work with is ready to invite students....it will freak everyone else out if i say where since the deadline for this school's application was dec 1

Oh foo -- ever watch those sci-fi flicks where the president gets briefed about the pending alien landing and decides that the public can't find out for security reasons? What happens? The president either gets abducted or exposed as an alien. I'm not saying either of those outcomes is likely in this instance, nor would I say you have a duty to inform, but people WILL bug out regardless...

SO which program was it?

Members don't see this ad.

The deadline was December 1st, and you already got an interview?! Talk about instant gratification!

actually a funny thing happened.
i thought i had submitted the dept application way ahead of time....only to find out that I hadn't. This particular program is confusing and I am helpless as usual. Long story short....I submitted the documents Nov 30 (Dec 1 deadline). A week turn around is incredible. I thought for sure I would wait weeks before hearing anything, let alone an invite.

Some invites come via e-mail. Some come through the phone.

Yes, this is my second year applying. I feel like I learned a lot from last year.

Members don't see this ad :)
wow. I'm impressed! I can imagine you can't tell what school it is yet, but would you mind saying whether you submitted the application very early, or whether you were in contact with the professor? Because one week after the deadline sounds very soon, considering that most grad schools take a while to forward materials with all their bureaucracy

I submitted the materials Nov 30 (deadline=dec 1).
I had exchanged a few emails with this prof and the prof had stated she was looking forward to talking with me, but they all say that...don't they?
I mean every prof I have e-mailed in the past said they would look out for my application...including some rejects as well. So you never count on it. But def. contact before is a great idea.

I submitted the materials Nov 30 (deadline=dec 1).
I had exchanged a few emails with this prof and the prof had stated she was looking forward to talking with me, but they all say that...don't they?
I mean every prof I have e-mailed in the past said they would look out for my application...including some rejects as well. So you never count on it. But def. contact before is a great idea.

Is this a clinical or counseling or school program?:D

I wouldn't change very much about how I handled the process, but one thing I would have done differently is carried a list of schools' area codes with me. I got a lot of interview invites via phone but usually let them go to voicemail since I just kept on getting calls from strange numbers and didn't like being blindsided.

contacted for a phone interview today!!!!!! i was shocked to hear so soon. i'm still sending out apps! whew, it sure made me feel a little better about staying up till 3 a.m. last night to get those dec. 15th apps out the door!

contacted for a phone interview today!!!!!! i was shocked to hear so soon. i'm still sending out apps! whew, it sure made me feel a little better about staying up till 3 a.m. last night to get those dec. 15th apps out the door!

Right on! :thumbup:

I bet it did! Congratulations, hope it went well! :)

That's so exciting, congrats!!! Would you be willing to say which school it was?

Members don't see this ad :)

CONGRATS!!

please please let us know where! :D

can we have some type of rule that if you say you got an interview you have to say where. this is getting a little frustrating for the rest of us :)

p.s. congrats!

I wouldn't say where I got an interview yet because if your POI or someone at your program reads this, and you were the only one invited so far, they be able to figure out who you are. Thus this forum would no longer be annonymous for you. I know that I'm combing for potential applicants for my program ;) Just my thoughts though...

I wouldn't say where I got an interview yet because if your POI or someone at your program reads this, and you were the only one invited so far, they be able to figure out who you are. Thus this forum would no longer be annonymous for you. I know that I'm combing for potential applicants for my program ;) Just my thoughts though...

What do you mean by combing? Do you mean trying to figure out who people are & if they might be applicants to your school?

Haha, I was mostly kidding. I mostly look for people who will be applying to my program so that I can message them and give them information for their personal statements. (IE what their POI is doing right now in terms of research, what the atmosphere is like, etc).

However, later on I'm sure people will be looking in these threads in terms of where they are applying and then can easily read everything they have ever posted. That's why when I was applying I was very secretive about where I was applying, who my POI was, and any other obvious identifying information.Had you not thought about that?

Also, when people are applying, they aren't just applying to work with the advisor. They are applying to be apart of a community. For example, if you said some sort of obvious statement that made identifing you easy, and then say you made some sort of offensive or rude comment, I might mention it to someone in charge. It's not really a huge deal when you mention where you are applying, but I would be prety conservative in regards to mentioning who your POI's are on these boards for the public to see as well as mentioning any sort of identifying info. There are some professors and other graduate students on here that can easily find any post with their school name (using the search function).

What do you mean by combing? Do you mean trying to figure out who people are & if they might be applicants to your school?

It kind of makes sense to be curious about who's applying to your school, but at the same time, I'm sure you only get a facet of that person's personality, so I am not sure how helpful that is - unless you see a couple of very obvious red flags.

Another off topic post: I see that some recent threads here have really large number of views ( 18 000/ 34 000/ even this thread has about 3500 views). I know that there are a lot of people here who re-check threads and the count can go up fast from there, but I am quite curious to see how many people are just 'lurking' around here, whether they are prospective students or not. Does anybody have an idea? Is it really in the thousands ? Sorry for the long off-topic, curiosity gets the best of me :)

Last edited:
An easy way to keep your anonymity (mostly) is to message the thread starter (futureapppsy2) with the name of the school your invite was from. That way only one person knows that it was you that got the invite, but other applicants can be notified which schools are starting to send out invites when futureapppsy2 posts them to the first page of the thread.

It kind of makes sense to be curious about who's applying to your school, but at the same time, I'm sure you only get a facet of that person's personality, so I am not sure how helpful that is - unless you see a couple of very obvious red flags.

Another off topic post: I see that some recent threads here have really large number of views ( 18 000/ 34 000/ even this thread has about 3500 views). I know that there are a lot of people here who re-check threads and the count can go up fast from there, but I am quite curious to see how many people are just 'lurking' around here, whether they are prospective students or not. Does anybody have an idea? Is it really in the thousands ? Sorry for the long off-topic, curiosity gets the best of me :)

this is one of the largest forums I've seen. the medical section is enormous and extensive. even then, there's still a lot of lurkers.

An easy way to keep your anonymity (mostly) is to message the thread starter (futureapppsy2) with the name of the school your invite was from. That way only one person knows that it was you that got the invite, but other applicants can be notified which schools are starting to send out invites when futureapppsy2 posts them to the first page of the thread.

I think this is a great idea! :) All the info will be in one place, invited students won't have to publicly share that info, and the rest of us will know which schools started to invite. Let's see if others concur :D

I agree that people should do this. I think this thread is meant to serve two purposes: to give people a chance to celebrate with others, and (mainly) to keep people updated about which schools are sending invitations and when. I acutally think it's a bit rude (and maybe a bit selfish) to post that you got an interview and then not disclose where. Please try to have respect for the fact that your fellow applicants likely have high anxiety around this process and that saying you got an interview but not where is likely to make that worse. I value and appreciate anonymity, but there are ways to keep that without placing others on the edges of their seats. And, if you are posting this early you are jeopardizing your anonymity anyway, just because so few programs are inviting now, and they can likely deduce who you are without you naming the program.

In any case, my sincere congrats and best wishes to everyone who has had luck so far!

GREAT IDEA! I'm up for that...I need to know if this is one of my schools! :scared::scared::scared:

Or you could just not care and post the information with all of its possible identifiers anyway ;)

Haha, I was mostly kidding. I mostly look for people who will be applying to my program so that I can message them and give them information for their personal statements. (IE what their POI is doing right now in terms of research, what the atmosphere is like, etc).

However, later on I'm sure people will be looking in these threads in terms of where they are applying and then can easily read everything they have ever posted. That's why when I was applying I was very secretive about where I was applying, who my POI was, and any other obvious identifying information.Had you not thought about that?

Also, when people are applying, they aren't just applying to work with the advisor. They are applying to be apart of a community. For example, if you said some sort of obvious statement that made identifing you easy, and then say you made some sort of offensive or rude comment, I might mention it to someone in charge. It's not really a huge deal when you mention where you are applying, but I would be prety conservative in regards to mentioning who your POI's are on these boards for the public to see as well as mentioning any sort of identifying info. There are some professors and other graduate students on here that can easily find any post with their school name (using the search function).

No, I had definitely thought about that! I just thought you had some sort of formal espionage project going on. ;) I think that is awesome that you reach out to people who are applying and if I am ever in a program, I hope to do the same.

When I first joined I tried to keep everything confidential - where I was applying, POI, etc. Now I try to not reveal anything I don't need to but my main tactic is to make sure that anything I post here is representative of my character. I actually would probably do that anyway as I think there are way too many mean/ careless comments on the internet. There is nothing on here that I am not okay with saying yes, I wrote that.

I did take your earlier advice and made sure my Facebook was private. I actually have nothing on there I would be embarrassed about either (well except for multiple cute cat pictures) but I thought it couldn't hurt.

I might take your advice about not revealing your POI though, I would just love to talk to someone currently in their lab!

Same here. Oh no, people might find out that I like musical theatre and have strong political opinions... wait, they already know that.

I think this is a great idea! :) All the info will be in one place, invited students won't have to publicly share that info, and the rest of us will know which schools started to invite. Let's see if others concur :D

It does appear this was the way it was done in past threads and it seemed to work well.

OT: I love House!

I was thinking more along the lines of racial and cultural biases and saying immature things etc. ;)
Also, it's good that you're a conservative. I just did a presentation on this article written by Redding noting the lack of political pluralism in psychology and how it has a negative impact on our education and our ability to treat conservative clients. I didn't agree with everything he said, but I agreed that we need more political diversity in psychology, so... cool!
Same here. Oh no, people might find out that I like musical theatre and have strong political opinions... wait, they already know that.

Oh, really? That's probably the first time I've heard positive things about my political views in psych. ;) I'd love to read that article!

I can send it to you if you would like PM me an email address. I have a PDF version. It's a little too right wing for me (mentioning the implimentation of affirmitive action like practices to increase the number of conservatives, mentioning that liberal psychologists leave out a lot of their findings in research regarding the effect of gay parenting on children because of their own values) however it was really thought provoking. I had to read it for a scientific inquiry class (basically a philosophy class).

Oh, really? That's probably the first time I've heard positive things about my political views in psych. ;) I'd love to read that article!

I can send it to you if you would like PM me an email address. I have a PDF version. It's a little too right wing for me (mentioning the implimentation of affirmitive action like practices to increase the number of conservatives, mentioning that liberal psychologists leave out a lot of their findings in research regarding the effect of gay parenting on children because of their own values) however it was really thought provoking. I had to read it for a scientific inquiry class (basically a philosophy class).

In this video they also highlight why political plurality and diversity may be good:
http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/jonathan_haidt_on_the_moral_mind.html

Which University of Alabama did someone receive an invite for?

Good luck to everyone applying and to futureapppsy2 for hosting this thread! I hosted last year and was told that usually the host gets in their top program! I didn't break the chain and got into my 1st choice so hope it works for you too! This thread is a lot of work!!!

And to everyone else, remember it's really early in the game. I didn't get an interview invite until mid January and the invite for my top choice came mid Feb (all clinical PHD programs).

Good luck!!!!

Good luck to everyone applying and to futureapppsy2 for hosting this thread! I hosted last year and was told that usually the host gets in their top program! I didn't break the chain and got into my 1st choice so hope it works for you too! This thread is a lot of work!!!

And to everyone else, remember it's really early in the game. I didn't get an interview invite until mid January and the invite for my top choice came mid Feb (all clinical PHD programs).

Good luck!!!!

Lucy! I was wondering if you were still around! Yeah, I mentioned to one of my lab's grad RAs that I was moderating a interview invite listserv, and she said "you mean SDN"? :eek:

Apparently, she lurked here back when she was applying (small world) and proceeded to tell me I was going to be very busy with this...

Hopefully, I won't be in the manager that breaks the good luck chain... :luck:

By the way, UC-B interview and invites dates are updated/corrected.

So I hope whomever mentions the idea of a grad school rejection notice thread isn't automatically jinxed :scared:. I'm wondering if anyone has gotten a dreaded thin envelope or if it's too early, if we need a thread like that, if I've just wiped out any chance I'll be getting into my #1 school, etc...

Grad acceptances aren't like undergrad with the thin vs. thick distinction. IIRC my notification of acceptance came in a thin envelope. Also, these days you usually hear first electronically or by phone.

I know this might be asking a bit too much but I don't suppose it would be possible to maybe include in the info what the closing date for programmes were? Just so we know how much time passed between applications being received and invites given?

Thanks and no problems if it's too awkward!

No one has heard from UC-Santa Barbara's combined program? They were supposed to extend interview invites this week....but the week is not over....hmmm...

Getting anxious too! I know it's too early, but starting to check my email more compulsively than usual!!!! :scared:

As for UCSB, I believe the interview invites went out on Friday last year. So, hopefully in 2 days!!!!

Good luck everybody! It's going to be a long few months!