2009-2010 Grad School Interview Invite Thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No one has heard from UC-Santa Barbara's combined program? They were supposed to extend interview invites this week....but the week is not over....hmmm...

I'm anxious too! I think they'll come out either Friday or sometime next week.

Members don't see this ad.

No one has heard from UC-Santa Barbara's combined program? They were supposed to extend interview invites this week....but the week is not over....hmmm...

I totally understand everyone's anxiety and remember it well, but I just have to stress something: what a program SAYS it will do is not necessarily what it will do. Last year, two of the places I interviewed sent out interview invites over a week later than their websites clearly stated they would. Both ended up giving me less than 10 days notice before I interviewed.

So please, do not worry about what anyone's website says, or even really what happened last year. Even if 5 other people say "University of My Dreams called me Monday for an interview!" and it's Friday, don't fret. I received an interview late last year due to an office screw up (the email they sent to 15 interviewees didn't go through) and received an offer 4 days after the rest of my incoming class (due to funding issues that were still being resolved). Really, attempt to relax. :) And good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
My heart just jumped out of my chest when I saw the UMinn interview invites were out...

... then I read "school psychology". Phew. Not my program.

To the person who got the Minnesota School Psych invite- does your application status on Apply Yourself say anything different that 'Application sent to department'?

If your application is forwarded to the department, does that mean you made it through the first cut?

If your application is forwarded to the department, does that mean you made it through the first cut?

Unfortunately no, this just means that all the parts at the Graduate office end are there, this does not even mean all the parts are at the department office yet. Always a good idea to make sure your parts are all in on the psych department end.

The grad school itself rarely has much to do with the selection/interview process, they do the basic stuff.

Good luck!

New info added. Also, I changed the subdivisions to be more specific. We now have:
-Clinical PhD
-Clinical PsyD
-Counseling Psych PhD/PsyD
-School Psych PhD/PsyD
-Non-applied PhD

could you please post the link to this thread? i can't find it. thanks.

Hey, I don't know if this was on purpose, but Florida State is missing the date the invite was given out.

Members don't see this ad :)
So Imma go ahead and post this, because it has been a "lol" experience so far. So last week I get this call from a guy at John Jay (yes Im the one for the CUNY post) and he was so vague, saying the official invite for interview would be coming, he wasnt totally sure when the interviews were but that I would get one and he wanted to meet with me while I was there. Ok so interview 1

Then today, at 4:30pm Sam Houston State U time (5 30pm my time, mind you I did not get this call, this is a voicemail message) the assistant director of clinical training leaves me a pleasant voicemail, nice and vague saying to call him back and he looks forward to speaking with me.

So I can only logically deduce that this will be for an interview as well, but seriously I think he called right as he was walking out the office door for Christmas vacation, and now I fear I will have to wait until the new year to hear from him :)

My evidence btw that this is for an interview is as follows

1) He was not a POI, in fact SHSU does not match they just accept kids and work as groups or teams, no individual matches
2) I never emailed or gave this gentleman my contact info, must be from an app
3) Last year students on this board said that SHSU gave pre-christmas notifications for interviews
4) why would he take time out to call me otherwise?

I know, I know its all merely circumstantial which can only lead to a conjecture, but nevertheless I do believe I now have also received an interview from SHSU, as soon as I hear details I will post them

Justin

So Imma go ahead and post this, because it has been a "lol" experience so far. So last week I get this call from a guy at John Jay (yes Im the one for the CUNY post) and he was so vague, saying the official invite for interview would be coming, he wasnt totally sure when the interviews were but that I would get one and he wanted to meet with me while I was there. Ok so interview 1

Then today, at 4:30pm Sam Houston State U time (5 30pm my time, mind you I did not get this call, this is a voicemail message) the assistant director of clinical training leaves me a pleasant voicemail, nice and vague saying to call him back and he looks forward to speaking with me.

So I can only logically deduce that this will be for an interview as well, but seriously I think he called right as he was walking out the office door for Christmas vacation, and now I fear I will have to wait until the new year to hear from him :)

1) He was not a POI, in fact SHSU does not match they just accept kids and work as groups or teams, no individual matches
3) Last year students on this board said that SHSU gave pre-christmas notifications for interviews

I know, I know its all merely circumstantial which can only lead to a conjecture, but nevertheless I do believe I now have also received an interview from SHSU, as soon as I hear details I will post them

Justin

I would come up with the same conclusion as you. Good luck and congrats:thumbup:

Justin

it WAS for an interview. i took the call i received :)

is anyone applying to usc/heard anything from them? i was looking on the threads from the last two years and in both years they sent them out this week.

is anyone applying to usc/heard anything from them? i was looking on the threads from the last two years and in both years they sent them out this week.

I'm wondering the same thing... haven't heard anything yet.

And as for UCSB, how likely do people think it is that if I didn't hear from them today I'm out of the running?

And as for UCSB, how likely do people think it is that if I didn't hear from them today I'm out of the running?

I'm wondering the same thing. I wonder if they made all the calls today, or if they're still considering the rest of the invites and will contact next week. :xf: Otherwise, I guess we're officially out?

Unfortunately no.... this does not even mean all the parts are at the department office yet.

So... if they say the app is complete and it has been forwarded to the department, you're saying we'd be advised not to take that at face value? Is there no end to the uncertainty? :confused:

I'm wondering the same thing. I wonder if they made all the calls today, or if they're still considering the rest of the invites and will contact next week. :xf:

I really really hope they're still considering. UCSB was probably the school on my list that I fit the absolute best with. If I don't get an interview there, I feel like I won't get them anywhere else... :(

Do people ever get invites on the weekend or do they usually just come during the week?

I'd venture to say that anyone who has received an invite this early is probably a first-tier candidate... someone who has done their undergrad at that school, knows a professor well in the department, works in a lab that has a connection to a program. For those of us who haven't heard anything, we should settle in til after the New Year. Professors are gone til after the holidays and probably won't even think about applications til they return after the new year. Best of luck to everyone!

I really really hope they're still considering. UCSB was probably the school on my list that I fit the absolute best with. If I don't get an interview there, I feel like I won't get them anywhere else... :(

It's certainly unsettling to think "one down" already... and to watch that money hurtle down the drain!

It's certainly unsettling to think "one down" already... and to watch that money hurtle down the drain!

I've already had that occur!

Is everyone else consistently checking this thread in hopes that their schools are not posted yet? Well, unless you were given an invite that is!

it WAS for an interview. i took the call i received :)
Yeah he called me today! I was really thankful he called me on the weekend, but he admitted it was because they had a graduate today and he just came back to the office.

Who are you wanting to interview with? I have to call that grad student still, hopefully find someone to stay with cause Im poor :)

pm me if ya wanna talk bout the place

Now I just hope not a lot of my interviews are around the same time :(

So... if they say the app is complete and it has been forwarded to the department, you're saying we'd be advised not to take that at face value? Is there no end to the uncertainty? :confused:
Its literally the last step before they review it, they have department faculty now review it and usually they all convene on a given day and make a decision as to interviews... so sometime in the near future you might hear something, but dont worry too much you have until march or sometimes later to find out. Do your research, find out when the school tends to give interviews and when their interview weekend is, THAT info will tell you a lot more about time sequences

J

I'd venture to say that anyone who has received an invite this early is probably a first-tier candidate... someone who has done their undergrad at that school, knows a professor well in the department, works in a lab that has a connection to a program. For those of us who haven't heard anything, we should settle in til after the New Year. Professors are gone til after the holidays and probably won't even think about applications til they return after the new year. Best of luck to everyone!

This can be taken as a compliment, the only psych departments I have connections to Im not applying to, and in fact I have been working in an Immunology lab the last 2 1/2 years and 2 of them as a post-bacc research fellow at the NIH, and im applying to all forensic clinical programs.

I will say this though, its about your preparation, I mean I wish we could put up our profile like you can for the med school forums on student doc, i.e., gpa etc, because frankly my GPA is rubbish compared to most of you (3.27, but a lot of that was from basic sciences) GRE accum was meager, 1330 (740 math, 590 verb, 5 writing, Psych 710) but its how you put together the total app, need a proper personal statement, letters, publications and presentations, and a clear logical flow to your application, this is my opinion, not just who yah know but how you present yourself.

Either way, I have little doubt that if you are this dedicated to be on student doc, success will come your way, almost all of you.

Very best of luck and enjoy your breaks, the next few months shall be interesting.

J

I've already had that occur!

Is everyone else consistently checking this thread in hopes that their schools are not posted yet? Well, unless you were given an invite that is!

Sorry to hear this :( but if it makes yah feel better although I havent received rejections, people have already received invites to FSU and Alabama, both schools I applied to yet I havent heard anything, but I did get interviews to CUNY and SHSU, just stay confident Im sure things will work out!

J

Its literally the last step before they review it, they have department faculty now review it and usually they all convene on a given day and make a decision as to interviews... so sometime in the near future you might hear something, but dont worry too much you have until march or sometimes later to find out. Do your research, find out when the school tends to give interviews and when their interview weekend is, THAT info will tell you a lot more about time sequences

J

This is good info but I think Buzzword was asking ( correct me if I'm wrong) if the graduate college says our app is complete, do we still need to check with the dept itself to make sure they have everything?

This is good info but I think Buzzword was asking ( correct me if I'm wrong) if the graduate college says our app is complete, do we still need to check with the dept itself to make sure they have everything?

Ah well this is kind of a toughy, depends like for instance UMSL doesnt require a secondary to be completed or anything mailed to the Psych department (I think UMSL I have blanked out all application procedures at this time). Some schools require a supplemental application to be mailed or filled out online (to the psych department) which is handled independently of the Graduate School, I say better safe than sorry to bug the psych department office secretary or coordinator to make sure yours is complete and/or under review.

Hope that helps and isnt just ramble, knowing me it might just be ramble
:)

don't get too worried about having the perfect fit. i've received an interview (listed in schools at top of thread) from a poi whose work i admire but don't feel is very similar to my own. whereas the school i thought was my soul mate school has not contacted me for an interview when traditionally they would send out invites this week.

One of the things people should be careful of is that the downturn in the economy has made a lot of programs change things - so history may not be accurate. Although, all of the invites I received occurred in January or early February.

I too understand the constant checking of this site and the anxiety that it caused (just wait it happens again when offer time rolls around, too).

Remember, at this point, until you are interviewing, it is out of your hand. Enjoy your holiday break. And if you feel the need to be proactive, have your copies of your application or information in shorthand ready in case you suddenly get a phone call. Makes you feel less anxious when the call comes (learned that one the hard way).

Good luck everyone and to be honest, I'm relieved not to be where you are now - but know I was there before and I totally understand.

Anyone hear from USC yet? I'm getting nervous about that one!

Ah well this is kind of a toughy, depends like for instance UMSL doesnt require a secondary to be completed or anything mailed to the Psych department (I think UMSL I have blanked out all application procedures at this time). Some schools require a supplemental application to be mailed or filled out online (to the psych department) which is handled independently of the Graduate School, I say better safe than sorry to bug the psych department office secretary or coordinator to make sure yours is complete and/or under review.

Hope that helps and isnt just ramble, knowing me it might just be ramble
:)

Thanks.

Is that little cutie your son?

Chillax, guys. I know it's difficult but it's still early. I didn't get my first invite until January or so.

I agree that we should sit back, calm down, and wait (though it's hard to follow on my own advice on that ;)), but I don't agree that people that get interview invites earlier are "special." I think some programs honestly just review applications more quickly than others.

I agree that we should sit back, calm down, and wait (though it's hard to follow on my own advice on that ;)), but I don't agree that people that get interview invites earlier are "special." I think some programs honestly just review applications more quickly than others.

+1

And also, sometimes some professors review applications faster than others at the same school. Everyone take a deep breath and enjoy your holiday season.

And if you feel the need to be proactive, have your copies of your application or information in shorthand ready in case you suddenly get a phone call. Makes you feel less anxious when the call comes (learned that one the hard way).

In what ways does having your application on hand help you? Something to reference? I guess I'm unsure of what even goes on when a POI or secretary calls to invite someone for an interview so perhaps that information may help as well.

Thanks!

I agree with the numerous comments about calming down and just waiting, but posting here with people who understand the process is a good way to cope. There aren't many people in my life who really understand this process and its complexities, and it feels good to be able to write a note to the effect of "I haven't heard from X and I'm freaking out" and know that people who understand what that feels like (and who might have more information about X) will be reading it.

Since I know my schools can't possibly contact me til the new year, I really enjoy seeing people on here get interviews. I have been on SDN for a while and it is nice to see folks (even if you only know them virtually) so close to meeting their goals after a lot of hard work.

Since I know my schools can't possibly contact me til the new year, I really enjoy seeing people on here get interviews. I have been on SDN for a while and it is nice to see folks (even if you only know them virtually) so close to meeting their goals after a lot of hard work.

:thumbup:

My sentiments exactly! I feel like I know you all (even if it is just your virtual personalities), and I wish the best for every one of you. I do get proud of everyone on SDN who accomplishes a goal. In a sad kind of way you guys are my friends... Awww...

it is nice to see folks (even if you only know them virtually) so close to meeting their goals after a lot of hard work.

Ditto. Good luck to all and congrats to those who have heard from schools so far! :thumbup:

...and it's Monday, so we can start eagerly staring at our phones and emails again, hoping for more invites...

To whoever got the stony brook invite, would you be willing to PM me your poi? If not it's understandable, you've just made me nervous now :) Also, confrats to everyone who has gotten interviews so far!!!

Yeah I got slightly nervous when I saw this as well but the deadline was only on Tuesday so more invites may go out (not that I'm expecting anything)... just trying to put it all into perspective.

Congratulations and good luck to everyone! Hope to hear/see more good news on here in the coming weeks!