2023-2024 APPIC Internship Interview Invitation Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats to everyone who matched!
Lots of really excellent sites available in Phase 2: APPIC Match | Participating Internships

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you everyone on this thread who answered our questions. 💕 I appreciate this network, the doc, and discord for having others who understood what the process is like.

I matched to my 6th choice, and while I am happy with the site, it is tough to not personalize potential reasons my top 5 didn’t rank me higher. Would it be appropriate to eventually ask my #1 for feedback? I was explicitly told I would be a great fit, would be ranked, etc, so it just sucks feeling blindsided! I mentally planned the next year moving there. I’m grateful and excited to have gotten the site I did but a little sad to not have gotten my top choice at the same time.

Thank you everyone on this thread who answered our questions. 💕 I appreciate this network, the doc, and discord for having others who understood what the process is like.

I matched to my 6th choice, and while I am happy with the site, it is tough to not personalize potential reasons my top 5 didn’t rank me higher. Would it be appropriate to eventually ask my #1 for feedback? I was explicitly told I would be a great fit, would be ranked, etc, so it just sucks feeling blindsided! I mentally planned the next year moving there. I’m grateful and excited to have gotten the site I did but a little sad to not have gotten my top choice at the same time.

You can always ask, I wouldn't, personally. If you do just get ready for a fairly vague response. There are always the people who are a good fit and ranked highly, but just outside of that very top group.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You can always ask, I wouldn't, personally. If you do just get ready for a fairly vague response. There are always the people who are a good fit and ranked highly, but just outside of that very top group.
That’s fair! I think I’m just disheartened by the stats that most people get their top 3, but at the end of the day, they may not be able to tell me “why” I wasn’t ranked higher. It’s interesting I didn’t match to my top sites that were more therapy based and wound up matching to a neuropsych-heavy placement which I have less experience with. But perhaps it’s a blessing in disguise because I can round out my experience rather than getting more of the same

Last edited:
Would it be appropriate to eventually ask my #1 for feedback? I was explicitly told I would be a great fit, would be ranked, etc, so it just sucks feeling blindsided!
Congrats on matching!

Yes, you can always request feedback but in all likelihood, your #1 did rank you highly but the match algorithm paired individuals who were ranked anywhere from one to a couple of spots higher by the site.

Judging from my experiences on the ranking side of things, often very little seperation exists within tiers when candidates are equally strong, yet we have to create ranked lists so the difference between a site's #1 and #5 is often practically non-existent.

For a site like mine that uses the same rubric to rate people, it could something 'small' like one candidarte got 2 extra points for high quality writing style and research that puts them in a higher scoring category so that when everything is averaged out, they'll end up being ranked 1 spot higher than another equally qualified person.

And from a site's perspective, we spend more time looking for overall profiles that should fit well with sites, rather than specific candidates so we would be thrilled to match with anybody in our top tier(s) while candidates have a lot more riding on this decision. Good luck for the internship year!

Congrats on matching!

Yes, you can always request feedback but in all likelihood, your #1 did rank you highly but the match algorithm paired individuals who were ranked anywhere from one to a couple of spots higher by the site.

Judging from my experiences on the ranking side of things, often very little seperation exists within tiers when candidates are equally strong, yet we have to create ranked lists so the difference between a site's #1 and #5 is often practically non-existent.

For a site like mine that uses the same rubric to rate people, it could something 'small' like one candidarte got 2 extra points for high quality writing style and research that puts them in a higher scoring category so that when everything is averaged out, they'll end up being ranked 1 spot higher than another equally qualified person.

And from a site's perspective, we spend more time looking for overall profiles that should fit well with sites, rather than specific candidates so we would be thrilled to match with anybody in our top tier(s) while candidates have a lot more riding on this decision. Good luck for the internship year!
This is helpful! I had definitely been questioning my perception that I had strong interviews, but it makes sense that with so many amazing candidates it’s tough to decide who is most qualified! Thank you so much :) Even though this isn’t the population I see myself working with long-term, I will learn a lot, get a better stipend, and I don’t have to relocate which are all pluses

• Care
Reactions: 1 users

I'd let it go. I matched to my #4 and I get the thought process behind it. But now that I'm on the other side and see how hard it is to rank so many amazing applicants, it makes more sense now. Feel disappointed if you have to! But try to get excited about your next adventure when you're ready

Reactions: 3 users
Is it normal to not get a call from the site you matched with? I had heard from a lot of people in the past that training directors often call to send welcomes but I got a very impersonal one-sentence email instead. Honestly, it discouraged me a little bit. Is that typical or am I just overthinking?

Last edited:
I’m in a similar situation as poster above. Matched at my #6 spot. Happy to have ranked but I also just saw that my #3 and #4 ranks (same site, different tracks) are going into phase 2 with two openings for my #4 and one opening for my #3. This would mean that they did not rank me at all right? For me to have matched at a lower site and for them to be in phase 2? I was also told by this Director that I was being considered for both tracks when it came to rankings, so I am very confused. Are there ever any issues or errors with rankings in the match system?

Is it normal to not get a call from the site you matched with? I had heard from a lot of people in the past that training directors often call to send welcomes but I got a very impersonal one-sentence email instead. Honestly, it discouraged me a little bit. Is that typical or am I just overthinking?
I received a generic and brief group email on match day with more detailed emails in the coming weeks. Regardless, staff were very welcoming and nice once we physically arrived for internship.

While applicants often take match day off, it's a regular work day for training staff. Or a busier one if they needed to prepare for Phase 2. Plus, I don't believe a post-match phone call is standard etiquette (but could be wrong).
I’m in a similar situation as poster above. Matched at my #6 spot. Happy to have ranked but I also just saw that my #3 and #4 ranks (same site, different tracks) are going into phase 2 with two openings for my #4 and one opening for my #3. This would mean that they did not rank me at all right? For me to have matched at a lower site and for them to be in phase 2? I was also told by this Director that I was being considered for both tracks when it came to rankings, so I am very confused. Are there ever any issues or errors with rankings in the match system?
Congrats on matching and hopefully your site will be a good fit.

Yes, this is my read as well because if either site had ranked you at any position, you would have matched there instead of with your #6.

There is always the possibility of human error, such as a training director literally forgetting to include somebody they meant to rank. I personally have not heard of issues with the rank algorithm system.

It would be more likely that both sites decided against ranking you when they finalized their lists. In general, if you received an interview,.you are being considered for ranking.

But things can change and there will likely be some people who were interviewed won't be included in finals ranks.

I agree with summerbabe that my actual TD, with whom I actually work very little, only ever sent a very brief email and that did not reflect on anything about the program. My direct supervisors (and co-TD) reached out with a lengthy email the following Monday or Tuesday and one supervisor who I already knew from my personal network gave me a call after work hours on Friday to congratulate me and express how thrilled they were.

Also just want to give a shout-out to anyone who didn't match to their #1, or didn't match at all. There are TONS of great sites in phase II (I've known people in the past whom have gone to Brown and Harvard/Partners, for example, in phase II). Also, from what I have heard after the internship year is over frankly people care very little about it... it's your post-doc and first jobs which seem to matter a lot. Last year I matched at my #3, which is truly an amazing site that is well-respected in my area, but it wasn't my top site due to personal reasons. I was really pissed at the time that I didn't match to my #1 or #2 site, mostly at the (truly ****ty) process of uprooting my life for a year, just to uproot again for post-doc since I knew there was very little chance I would want to stay here for post-doc (again, personal reasons).

Long story short, it's okay and important to feel whatever you are feeling, match or not! Validating your feelings is the first step to figuring out whatever your next steps are. It's a new week tomorrow!

Reactions: 2 users
Please use this thread to share information about the 2023-2024 APPIC internship interview invitations.
Interview Excel Sheet

Here is the link from last year for folks to see the last 3 years' worth of data in one spot! (Thanks to loveroflinehanandresick)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vZ-GqazsCx-kUv8GLR33IgnDPfVZlNbO/edit#gid=1003449805

Please use the following format-

Official Site Name:
Speciality Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums):
Date Invitation Received:
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email):
Interview Dates Offered:
Hello! Thank you for creating this. Are you able to add a phase 2 column for those of us trying to gather data for phase 2? Thank you :)

I remember being here as an undergrad eons ago panicking in the WAMC thread because my imposter syndrome was full blast but I got/lurked on great advice from some of the senior members. Even now posters like summerbabe, PsychPhDone, and even the ever blunt but well meaning and realistic WisNeuro are super appreciated in the wisdom they share. I got my first choice y'all (well respected combined research and clinical site) and really glad to be moving on further in my career. Wish I could buy y'all your drink of choice as thanks!

I remember being here as an undergrad eons ago panicking in the WAMC thread because my imposter syndrome was full blast but I got/lurked on great advice from some of the senior members. Even now posters like summerbabe, PsychPhDone, and even the ever blunt but well meaning and realistic WisNeuro are super appreciated in the wisdom they share. I got my first choice y'all (well respected combined research and clinical site) and really glad to be moving on further in my career. Wish I could buy y'all your drink of choice as thanks!
Congratulations! As I recall we were on the program hunt at the same time.

Congrats, glad to hear things worked out well for you!

Congratulations! As I recall we were on the program hunt at the same time.
Thank you! Yes I remember! I hope you were able to get your program and internship of choice/end up where you needed to be. We're almost done!!

Anyone who matched not heard back from their site yet? I received one generic email confirming the match 3 weeks ago and have heard nothing else since. I emailed the internship coordinator last week about location details since I’m starting to look for housing but haven’t heard back either. Is this the norm?

Anyone who matched not heard back from their site yet? I received one generic email confirming the match 3 weeks ago and have heard nothing else since. I emailed the internship coordinator last week about location details since I’m starting to look for housing but haven’t heard back either. Is this the norm?
I received an emailed offer letter about one week post-match, and most of my friends got their offer letters sooner than that. I wouldn't be worried, as the match is literally a binding contract, but that does seem a bit odd to me. It's helpful to have the offer letter when searching for apartments as well as proof of income.