2009-2010 Pathology applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
for those that heard from unc - was it by email or snail mail? thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #d1d1e1; COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- SDNCODE: Googlead Postbit --><!-- /SDNCODE: Googlead Postbit --><!-- message -->
Arizona (Tucson)
Baylor (Dallas)
BIDMC
BWH
Case Western
Cleveland Clinic
Columbia
Drexel
Einstein
Emory
Iowa
JHU
MCV/Virginia Commonwealth
MCW
MGH
Methodist
Metro Health
Michigan
MUSC
Northwestern
Ohio State
Penn
Pittsburgh
Scott & White
Stanford
St. Josephs' (Phoenix)
UAB
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
UF
U of Chicago
U of Chicago/NorthShore
UIC
UMD
UMass
UMN
UMDNJ (Newark)
UNC
UNM (Albuquerque)
USF
UT Houston
UT Southwestern
UVM
UVA
Utah
Vanderbilt
Wake Forrest
WashU (St Louis)
Yale

There is SOOOO much negativity being posted regarding this topic, I wonder if it is being done maliciously and intentionally to try to dissuade others from applying to Path programs. I have spoken with a few pathologists at my hospital that disagreed with much of the negativity being posted here. When asked about timliness of apps, and competitiveness...I was assurred aslong as I met deadlines, I was ok. I am a US citizen and IMG. This (in the opinion of the Pathologists I spoke to) did not seem to hinder my application. I am saddened that no matter WHAT industry I work in (medicine is my 2nd career), there is backstabbing, backbiting, and the attitude that people are willing to do whatever it takes to get ahead, including malicious behavior. What goes around, comes around. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Arizona (Tucson)
Baylor (Dallas)
BIDMC
BWH
Case Western
Cleveland Clinic
Columbia
Drexel
Einstein
Emory
Iowa
JHU
MCW
MGH
Methodist
Metro Health
Michigan
MUSC
Northwestern
Ohio State
Penn
Pittsburgh
Scott & White
Stanford
St. Josephs' (Phoenix)
UAB
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
UF
U of Chicago
U of Chicago/NorthShore
UIC
UMD
UMass
UMN
UMDNJ (Newark)
UMDNJ (Robert Wood Johnson)
UNC
UNM (Albuquerque)
USF
UT Houston
UT Southwestern
UVM
UVA
Utah
Vanderbilt
Wake Forrest
WashU (St Louis)
Yale <!-- / message --><!-- SDNCODE: one sig per thread --><!-- /SDNCODE: one sig per thread -->

Last edited:
Anybody heard from UAB? Have they sent out a bunch of invitations yet or are they one of the slower programs?

Slightly related question: which are some "slow" programs? Do they wait til MSPE's out? Thanks.

Slightly related question: which are some "slow" programs? Do they wait til MSPE's out? Thanks.

I know that USC is a slow program. the PD told me that they are not very aggresive on ERAS/application/interview thing.

Hey everyone! I'm new to this forum and think it's great how supportive everyone is :) I would like to wish everyone good luck during this crazy process and hope everyone matches.

On a personal note, I have applied to quite a few programs throughout the mid-west and east coast and have not heard ANYTHING! I recently graduated, passed Step 1/2/CS (80/85/pass), and am ECFMG certified. I realize I'm not Einstein so applied to mediocre programs and am getting anxious about the lack of interview invites. Does anyone know if this is normal or if some programs send out another batch of invites in Nov?

Any help/advice is appreciated!

Does anyone know if this is normal or if some programs send out another batch of invites in Nov?

This doesn't sound normal to me. Then again, maybe FMGs tend to get interview invites later in the season. I don't know that . . . just speculating.

There are still 3 institutions I have not heard from; and I myself am wondering if there will be a new batch of invites that comes out in November (after MSPEs become available to programs).

Last edited:
Hey everyone! I'm new to this forum and think it's great how supportive everyone is :) I would like to wish everyone good luck during this crazy process and hope everyone matches.

On a personal note, I have applied to quite a few programs throughout the mid-west and east coast and have not heard ANYTHING! I recently graduated, passed Step 1/2/CS (80/85/pass), and am ECFMG certified. I realize I'm not Einstein so applied to mediocre programs and am getting anxious about the lack of interview invites. Does anyone know if this is normal or if some programs send out another batch of invites in Nov?

Hi AVP828 and welcome... I have to admit I would be worried too. Are you absolutely sure your application is complete and everything that needs to be turned in is in file? Perhaps there's a mistake in your application you weren't aware of previously?

I remember from the interview thread from 2 years ago that people were getting invitations even in November, so you might have to wait. Or perhaps contact some programs directly and tell them of your interest? Good luck!

Thanks for the advice! I did contact the programs today... some of them are still reviewing applications and some are bad at notifying applicants if they were not selected for interviews. I'm glad I called because one program had difficulty finding my application and had to contact ERAS to find it!
Thanks again!

Arizona (Tucson)
Baylor (Dallas)
BIDMC
BWH
Case Western
Cleveland Clinic
Columbia
Cornell
Drexel
Duke
Einstein
Emory
Iowa
JHU
Mayo
MCW
MGH
Methodist
Metro Health
Michigan
MUSC
Northwestern
Ohio State
Penn
Pittsburgh
Scott & White
Stanford
St. Josephs' (Phoenix)
UAB
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
UF
U of Chicago
U of Chicago/NorthShore
UIC
UMD
UMass
UMN
UMDNJ (Newark)
UNC
UNM (Albuquerque)
USF
UT Houston
UT Southwestern
UVM
UVA
Utah
Vanderbilt
Wake Forrest
WashU (St Louis)
Yale

we've been a little inactive the past few days with the list. Anyone hear from University of Washington yet?

Been just lurking before, but I thought this might be helpful to folks. Seems at least some schools are sending interview invites in batches. I just got an invite from UCLA and their interview season had started Oct 1, so if you're still waiting on schools that are already on the list, you still have a chance. :)

Good luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
The sound of crickets is kind of all I've been hearing for about two weeks. Yikes. Still trying to be hopeful. Has anyone heard anything from Loyola, Rush, or U Wisconsin?

The sound of crickets is kind of all I've been hearing for about two weeks. Yikes. Still trying to be hopeful. Has anyone heard anything from Loyola, Rush, or U Wisconsin?

I haven't heard anything in a while either. I've decided to keep 7 interviews so far (after cancelling and removing my application from quite a few...20 programs was too many to apply too).

I didn't apply to Loyola or Rush, but I got an interview from Wisconsin around the 14th of September. I'm still waiting on U of Chicago (may need to talk to them), U of Washington (their website says they send invites in Mid and Late October and early November...so hopefully :xf:), and possibly University of Colorado.

Hope this isn't TMI, haha.

I haven't heard anything in a while either. I've decided to keep 7 interviews so far (after cancelling and removing my application from quite a few...20 programs was too many to apply too).

I didn't apply to Loyola or Rush, but I got an interview from Wisconsin around the 14th of September. I'm still waiting on U of Chicago (may need to talk to them), U of Washington (their website says they send invites in Mid and Late October and early November...so hopefully :xf:), and possibly University of Colorado.

Hope this isn't TMI, haha.

Thanks Umbrella. I'm not sure what to think about Wisc - I got a pretty positive email from the coordinator who said my app would be reviewed in full when it was complete, but it's been complete for more than 2 weeks now. I don't want to be a pain and harass them though... Hope you get good news from the other places (I haven't heard from Chicago either) Good luck!!

we've been a little inactive the past few days with the list. Anyone hear from University of Washington yet?

Haven't heard from UW nor from Baylor, Chicago Wash U, UCSF. I Heard from UAB and UPMC this week. Seems pretty random....

Has anyone heard from Univ of Miami Jackson Memorial Hospital?

I'm not sure what to think about Wisc - I got a pretty positive email from the coordinator who said my app would be reviewed in full when it was complete, but it's been complete for more than 2 weeks now. I don't want to be a pain and harass them though...

Thanks :). It might not be a bad idea to contact Wisc as they told you they would be reviewing when complete and your app. is obviously complete now (for some time). The coordinator, and the whole department, seems to be pretty friendly overall and I don't think you would be harrassing them. Hope you get good news soon!

Does anyone know if programs send out "rejection notices" to let you know that your application was reviewed and you were not selected for an interview? Or do they tend to simply leave you hanging without a word?

I got one rejection, so my guess is that some programs do it. :(

Does anyone know if programs send out "rejection notices" to let you know that your application was reviewed and you were not selected for an interview? Or do they tend to simply leave you hanging without a word?

I remember reading from previous years' threads that Pittsburgh would send rejections.

Yes, programs do send out rejection letters. Some don't even reply to you. Some even send out rejection letters after the match.

I applied to about 50 programs; got offers from 18, got rejections from about 10 or so, and heard absolutely nothing from the remainder.

Programs will send out rejections if both a) they are courteous and b) they would in no way accept you. Sending out rejections is of no benefit to them, but keeping you hanging may give them something to fall back on if they have cancellations or get nervous about not interviewing enough candidates. That being said, I have heard a few first hand accounts of students who received rejections from some of the largest and most reputable programs, only to receive an invitation to interview a month later.

Do programs still send out invites in November? There are only a couple weeks left in October and I am getting a bit nervous about more invites. I am a US IMG (Sackler) so I applied fairly broadly, but it seems hit or miss.

Do programs still send out invites in November? There are only a couple weeks left in October and I am getting a bit nervous about more invites. I am a US IMG (Sackler) so I applied fairly broadly, but it seems hit or miss.

Yes, programs do still invite applicants, but don't a huge surge in invites after the Dean's letter. I would safely say invites start getting fewer as time goes by.

Anyone offered an interview from U. of Cincinnati, Kentucky or Louisville?

Thanks

Sending out rejections is of no benefit to them, but keeping you hanging may give them something to fall back on if they have cancellations or get nervous about not interviewing enough candidates.

Is it safe to assume, then, that I would probably not end up very high on the rank list of any program that sends me an interview invite later in the season (say, after the first week of November)?

Is it safe to assume, then, that I would probably not end up very high on the rank list of any program that sends me an interview invite later in the season (say, after the first week of November)?

I would say not necessarily, what if you knock their socks off and they are like WHOA this person is awesome and would be a great fit here? Thats just my opinion. Granted they may have overlooked you in their first batches of interviews because of something on paper something might out shine that on your interview. But I'm super optomistic about all of this, or at least try to be.

Is it safe to assume, then, that I would probably not end up very high on the rank list of any program that sends me an interview invite later in the season?
I certainly wouldn't go that far. Some programs seem to have not invited any applicants yet, while others probably start with people who have connections at the programs. Who knows exactly how each program staggers their invitations. While it's probably not a good sign to get your invitations extremely late, they wouldn't interview you if you didn't have a shot.

Last edited:
anyone think its too late to apply?

I know someone who got 5 interviews and did not apply until Dec, so it is not too late.

i hope so... I want to go to a university program.

Arizona (Tucson)
Baylor (Dallas)
BIDMC
BWH
Case Western
Cleveland Clinic
Columbia
Cornell
Drexel
Duke
Einstein
Emory
Iowa
JHU
Mayo
MCW
MGH
Methodist
Metro Health
Michigan
MUSC
Northwestern
Ohio State
Penn
Pittsburgh
Rush
Scott & White
Stanford
St. Josephs' (Phoenix)
UAB
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
UF
U of Chicago
U of Chicago/NorthShore
UIC
UMD
UMass
UMN
UMDNJ (Newark)
UNC
UNM (Albuquerque)
USF
UT Houston
UT Southwestern
UVM
UVA
Utah
Vanderbilt
Wake Forrest
WashU (St Louis)
Yale

Good luck to you, BK!

not at all. i didn't interview at my current big name east coast program until the first week of February, didn't get the invite until late Dec or Jan? (maybe an "oh crap we don't have enough decent people to rank" invite;-)

must have wow'ed them at the interview with my general awesomeness...:D

I know that Mayo usually sends out its first invites late Oct. early Nov.

Arizona (Tucson)
Baylor (Dallas)
BIDMC
BWH
Case Western
Cleveland Clinic
Columbia
Cornell
Drexel
Duke
Einstein
Emory
Iowa
JHU
Mayo
MCW
MGH
Methodist
Metro Health
Michigan
MUSC
Northwestern
Ohio State
Penn
Pittsburgh
Rush
Scott & White
Stanford
St. Josephs' (Phoenix)
UAB
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
UF
U of Chicago
U of Chicago/NorthShore
U of Colorado (Denver)
UIC
UMD
UMass
UMN
UMDNJ (Newark)
UNC
UNM (Albuquerque)
USF
UT Houston
UT Southwestern
UVM
UVA
Utah
Vanderbilt
Wake Forrest
WashU (St Louis)
Yale

Arizona (Tucson)
Baylor (Dallas)
BIDMC
BWH
Case Western
Cleveland Clinic
Columbia
Cornell
Drexel
Duke
Einstein
Emory
Iowa
JHU
Mayo
MCW
MGH
Methodist
Metro Health
Michigan
MUSC
Northwestern
NYU
Ohio State
Penn
Pittsburgh
Rush
Scott & White
Stanford
St. Josephs' (Phoenix)
UAB
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
UF
U of Chicago
U of Chicago/NorthShore
U of Colorado (Denver)
UIC
UMD
UMass
UMN
UMDNJ (Newark)
UNC
UNM (Albuquerque)
USF
UT Houston
UT Southwestern
UVM
UVA
Utah
Vanderbilt
Wake Forrest
WashU (St Louis)
Yale

Arizona (Tucson)
Baylor (Dallas)
BIDMC
BWH
Case Western
Cleveland Clinic
Columbia
Cornell
Drexel
Duke
Einstein
Emory
Iowa
JHU
Loyola
Mayo
MCW
MGH
Methodist
Metro Health
Michigan
MUSC
Northwestern
NYU
Ohio State
Penn
Pittsburgh
Rush
Scott & White
Stanford
St. Josephs' (Phoenix)
UAB
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
UF
U of Chicago
U of Chicago/NorthShore
U of Colorado (Denver)
UIC
UMD
UMass
UMN
UMDNJ (Newark)
UNC
UNM (Albuquerque)
USF
UT Houston
UT Southwestern
UVM
UVA
Utah
Vanderbilt
Wake Forrest
WashU (St Louis)
Yale

Hey, how are everyone's interviews going so far? Don't have my first one til mid-November. Nervous, but excited :) I'll be excited to see anything anyone has to say in the Residency Interview Feedback section. Good luck to all!

Hey, how are everyone's interviews going so far? Don't have my first one til mid-November. Nervous, but excited :) I'll be excited to see anything anyone has to say in the Residency Interview Feedback section. Good luck to all!

Doing my first interviews very soon! good luck with yours. I'm trying to remember how I felt before my first interview for medical school and how I realized afterward that the nerves and overpreparation were totally unnecessary. I'm guessing residency interviews are a little more professional, but I wonder how they typically go in pathology. Are they conversational like med school interviews, or more geared toward your academic goals? Do they ever test your knowledge or ever have you try your hand at an unknown?

Anyone receive their interview itinerary from programs yet? I'm nervous about the names who'll be interviewing me in a few days. These folks are extremely well-accomplished and I'm afraid I'll embarrass myself. :eek:

Are they conversational like med school interviews, or more geared toward your academic goals? Do they ever test your knowledge or ever have you try your hand at an unknown? :eek:

I've done a couple so far. One was pretty laid back, pretty conversational. The other was a little more hard-hitting, but basically about my motivations/knowledge about a career in path and also my interest in their program. Definitely no pimping on medical knowledge.

I'm guessing residency interviews are a little more professional, but I wonder how they typically go in pathology. Are they conversational like med school interviews, or more geared toward your academic goals? Do they ever test your knowledge or ever have you try your hand at an unknown?

no unknowns. most people want to know how/why you came to choose pathology and what your general goals are (the dreaded "where do you see yourself in 5 years" question).

relax. nothing to fear...

...anyone interviewing at Penn on Monday? I know it's a stretch, but just checking. :)

if you all are interviewing, make sure to add an entry to the residency interview feedback page at http://more.studentdoctor.net/createresidency.php . If you're worried about anonymity, consider adding your thoughts later on in the interview season or after you've matched. Applicants in the coming years would benefit greatly from more recent opinions on individual programs. Thanks!

Arizona (Tucson)
Baylor (Dallas)
BIDMC
BWH
Case Western
Cleveland Clinic
Columbia
Cornell
Dartmouth
Drexel
Duke
Einstein
Emory
Iowa
JHU
Loyola
LSU-Shreveport
Mayo
MCW
MGH
Methodist
Metro Health
Michigan
MSSM
MUSC
Northwestern
NYU
Ohio State
Penn
Pittsburgh
Rush
Scott & White
Stanford
St. Josephs' (Phoenix)
SUNY Brooklyn
UAB
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
UF
U of Chicago
U of Chicago/NorthShore
U of Colorado (Denver)
UIC
UMD
UMass
UMN
UMDNJ (Newark)
UNC
UNM (Albuquerque)
USF
UT Houston
UT Southwestern
UVM
UVA
Utah
Vanderbilt
Wake Forrest
WashU (St Louis)
Yale

if you all are interviewing, make sure to add an entry to the residency interview feedback page at http://more.studentdoctor.net/createresidency.php . If you're worried about anonymity, consider adding your thoughts later on in the interview season or after you've matched. Applicants in the coming years would benefit greatly from more recent opinions on individual programs. Thanks!

I started to do this the other day, but then stopped when I realized that part of the feedback involved saying how you would rate this program among all the other programs you've visited. Having only interviewed at one place so far, I decided I couldn't answer this question. I will return, after all my interviews are complete, to fill out all the appropriate feedback. Unless there is some way to modify your feedback posts after you've submitted them?

You can go back and edit your interview feedback at any time after you have posted. There is a little link near the top of the window to "Edit Interview Feedback" anytime you are viewing feedback you posted yourself.

Arizona (Tucson)
Baylor (Dallas)
BIDMC
BWH
Case Western
Cleveland Clinic
Columbia
Cornell
Dartmouth
Drexel
Duke
Einstein