2009-2010 University of Colorado Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Miked,
During my tour last year, most people in the tour had applied for Global Health and a few said that other interviewees that day had. Global Health means the school gives you a little extra rotation money to cover your travel expenses to foreign countries. You may have to do some sort of global health project and a presentation. For the first two years, it's one meeting a month you attend. You can still do foreign rotations on a regular track. Rural just means you'll get matched up with a rural doctor adviser and do a few rotations in rural Colorado.

I believe with the Rural track you will have your tuition and expenses paid, then you have to practice rural for x number of years or you will need to pay the money back.

Members don't see this ad.

E-mail invites are going out! I just got one, soooo happy right now!

I too have heard that CU is very friendly to non-trads...anyone know if this is true or not? Anyone know if they also look at those of us with graduate degrees? I will be completing my PhD in a few months in Rad Onc. My graduate GPA is a 3.7, but my undergrad is not so hot (3.3) and my MCAT is low for CU (29). I have tons of experience and have gotten some great letters, its just so hard to figure out if you are a candidate or not when you don't come from a typical pre-med background!

Here's to hoping that we all get a shiny little acceptance letter under our trees!

CU seems to be big on experience which explains why they have such an interest in non-traditional applicants. Last year they told us during interviews that only 18% of the current first year class came directly from undergrad. The fact that they look highly upon experience and the non-trads may also explain the lack of movement on the waitlist last year compared to years past. I'm not even sure if they got through the top third, which is usually the case. It may have been due to the fact that many accepted individuals were well established in Colorado and did not plan on leaving regardless of offers from other schools.

Regarding the grad degrees, they definitely look at individuals with graduate education. I would think that will bode well for you. Your stats are very similar to mine. I was lucky enough to make the second tier of the waitlist last year after completing master's degree. So, in my mind, there's no reason to believe they won't give you a chance. Especially if you are a Colorado resident.

Members don't see this ad :)
E-mail invites are going out! I just got one, soooo happy right now!

Me too. Since it was on a Monday I worked (vs. a Friday I don't), I called to see if I could reschedule, and she said that unless I was traveling, there was no real way for me to re-schedule, so I should try to find a way to be there. I can probably switch shifts with someone fine, but that's the first time I've been denied a reschedule...

Invitation for Oct 2nd.

Very nice.

I wasn't expecting the invitation to arrive so early.

Anyone on same date?

Invitation for Oct 2nd.

Very nice.

I wasn't expecting the invitation to arrive so early.

Anyone on same date?

Congrats. I'll probably be giving tours on that day, so I might see you.

Awesome~~~

Do you have recommendations on how to prepare for the interview?

Read the interview feedback. Everything in my interview was mentioned there.

I had a dream last night that I got rejected. Was just like in a horror movie.. went to check online.. and this big, flashing, red "REJECTED" sign came up on the screen in slow motion. :scared: Man this is going to be a long, sleepless year.

Has anyone else not heard anything that was really expecting an interview? (good stats, reapplicant, etc.?)
I hope they are not going in alphabetical order, I've had some issues at other schools because of my sir name.

Hey folks who got interview invites, can you tell me when you submitted? I think we're all labeled complete on 9/8 (those who submitted before then anyway), but I'm wondering if they're going in order of submission.

As for the march news, it was not all bad, just most. Thats when all rejections and almost all waitlist emails went out last year, previous everything was basically happy news. Last year they accepted ~190 with straight acceptances, waitlisters got in as some of those 190 did not accept, and the number of accepted dipped below the prospective 160 class size.

Hey folks who got interview invites, can you tell me when you submitted? I think we're all labeled complete on 9/8 (those who submitted before then anyway), but I'm wondering if they're going in order of submission.

I think all schools go by the order they are received to review the applications. It would really suck if you work hard to turn your app in early just for them to just to randomly shove it to the bottom of the stack without looking at anything.

They must have some method to their madness to sort apps in the order they are received. So whatever method they use after they do it the apps most likely either go in the interview pile, the "second look" pile, or the dreaded rejection pile.

I heard from a current student that they are screening for this first interview. The first interview is normally a smaller group and the applicant's numbers will be high (36-37+ & 3.8+).

Also, when I delivered my check in person to the admissions office on 9/4 they girl at the front desk said 500 secondaries complete & 2000 primaries submitted (this was her estimate).

Members don't see this ad :)

Whatever the first day it was open, but since we had to mail in checks for the secondary, who knows if they went by the date they got the check or by the secondaries they got...

Am I wrong to assume that nearly every in-state applicant to UCDSOM has a LOR from a professor at the school? I get the feeling like everyone works there and has a letter from their boss, but I also feel like it's just par for the course and not necessarily an advantage. Thoughts?

I'm guessing you are very wrong in that assumption, but I guess I'm just speaking for myself. I have never met a professor or anyone associated with the school. I go to undergrad outside of CO as well. I also don't feel at a disadvantage for not having one. Just my opinion, though.

Right on. Just to clarify, what I mean is that I think a lot of peeps have letters from staff, but it's probably not too much of a help? It obviously isn't a bad thing, but I'm thinking if the committee is not inclined to offer an interview, the letter from a professor probably won't change that. I'm totally speculating though.

Edit: I'm just bored and thinking out loud, btw. :) At best maybe it carries slightly more weight than any other letter?

Last edited:
I'm guessing you are very wrong in that assumption, but I guess I'm just speaking for myself. I have never met a professor or anyone associated with the school. I go to undergrad outside of CO as well. I also don't feel at a disadvantage for not having one. Just my opinion, though.

I would not feel at a disadvantage either with your stats!

As for the rec letters, I think that the first thing that is assessed is the quality. No matter who you get it from, a faculty member here at CO, from a faculty from an in-state school or a faculty at another state if it's not a quality letter its not going to help you out. With that said, the admissions committee is composed of humans (at least the part of it that reads the rec letters). If they happen to know the letter writer I think it can give you somewhat of advantage (not huge one though, and I suppose it can always go the other way too). And, of course, I am not saying if you get a letter from the dean here you are automatically in, but I wouldn't brush off the fact that internal politics, and who you know, can play a role in admissions.

This is just what I think though, and hope for that matter. I have some of my letters coming from medical school faculty.

I would look at letters from faculty at the University, if you work there, as a plus. If you work there you are probably more likely to attend there as you have formed relationships at the school. Also, there is a strong possibility that someone on the adcom will know your PI and, assuming it's at a good lab, that probably won't hurt even if they don't particularly like your PI. Now the extent to this letter helping I would say is minimal if your application isn't up to snuff, but I'm guessing it can get you a second look, which could be all that you need.

Now where you could experience problems is if you have had substantial lab experience at the university and no letter of rec. That could be perceived as odd and might raise some red flags, which could make the adcoms review your other letters more carefully.

Am I wrong to assume that nearly every in-state applicant to UCDSOM has a LOR from a professor at the school? I get the feeling like everyone works there and has a letter from their boss, but I also feel like it's just par for the course and not necessarily an advantage. Thoughts?

I don't have a LOR from a professor at the school, but one of my professors worked extensively in the altitude lab there... he's a physiologist and does studies involving oxygen flow in the brain at altitude under different conditions..

I sent my secondary on Setp. 07 and my payment cleared on Setp. 11.

Got interview within a week.

Very fast.

Well, there are other in-state schools other than CU in Colorado.

CSU for example, and CU campus is divided into several, biggest one being in Boulder.

Medical Campus is part of CU Denver I believe, so not much connection between boulder and denver maybe?

Regarding the order in which they review applicants. Traditionally, CU has interviewed the most academically qualified candidates first. As I understand it, they simply go down the line from there. When I dropped off my payment (I was told that I was the first to submit it), the individual at the admissions office told me that they would be offering invites to Colorado residents first. Those of you who have received interview invites may be able to better speak to the truth of this.

Regarding the letters of rec, from what I know, CU is pretty non-biased in reviewing them. In my mind, there is absolutely no way that preference is be given to applicants with LORs from CU. In fact, I have heard of one particular LOR writer (a doc in the CU health system) actually calling the admissions office and being completely shut down. I think they try and keep a pretty level playing field with regards to the interview selection process. It's also interesting to note that this is the first year that CU is reviewing LORs prior to offering interviews. In the past, they only reviewed them after the interview was offered. Meaning, the interview selection process is moving somewhat away from a simple numbers game and more towards evaluating the whole applicant.

So, just fyi, I spoke with my boss today who is a professor and he told me that the assistant dean of admissions' own son didn't get in. N=1, but I'd say that's a pretty solid piece of evidence against nepotism being a factor in admissions. He got into another mid-upper tier school, so I'm assuming he was qualified. Just thought that was interesting.

Nice, congrats! Mind if I ask your stats?

Nothing exceptional.

I wouldn't put myself as one of top qualified students but above average according to their last year stat with average of 32P.

34Q (low english)
with 3.9 GPA

Nothing exceptional.

I wouldn't put myself as one of top qualified students but above average according to their last year stat with average of 32P.

34Q (low english)
with 3.9 GPA

I think there's something wrong with you if you don't think 3.9 is exceptional. :p

I think there's something wrong with you if you don't think 3.9 is exceptional. :p

I agree with you, man.

Rockymhs, those are great stats. Maybe people from SDN have convoluted the way you view them, which is easy to do, but your stats are what 90% of the medical schools out there would call exceptional. ;)

Congrats on the interview.

I agree with you, man.

Rockymhs, those are great stats. Maybe people from SDN have convoluted the way you view them, which is easy to do, but your stats are what 90% of the medical schools out there would call exceptional. ;)

Congrats on the interview.

Thanks for your kind remark,

but I don't think rest of my application is good enough.

I got two rejects already without interviews. What a let down....

I wonder how you guys are faring.

:scared:

Anyone else still not have their check cashed after being complete for a few weeks? Just a-wonderin'.

Thanks for your kind remark,

but I don't think rest of my application is good enough.

I got two rejects already without interviews. What a let down....

I wonder how you guys are faring.

:scared:

Yeah, I wouldn't sweat it, man. I think people get rejections for a number of reasons. In your case I would be willing to bet that the schools didn't think you would end up going there if they were to offer you an acceptance, so they decided to just outright reject you. The application process is an odd thing, but when you think of it as a way to select the best candidates that would be interested in attending I find that it starts to make a little more sense.

Either way, good luck! ;)

By the way, not faring so hot yet... I'm 0 interviews for 4 schools, with completes at 3 of 4.

Anyone else still not have their check cashed after being complete for a few weeks? Just a-wonderin'.

If it's been a few weeks you might want to call and check on it. Mine was cashed in about a week. I mailed it from Denver though, so maybe add 2 or 3 days for OOS mail, but three weeks seems like a lot of time to process a check.

If it's been a few weeks you might want to call and check on it. Mine was cashed in about a week. I mailed it from Denver though, so maybe add 2 or 3 days for OOS mail, but three weeks seems like a lot of time to process a check.

Yeah I'm in Denver too so maybe I'll swing by the admissions office tomorrow when I'm on campus. Good luck man. :xf: Will hopefully get some good news in the next couple of weeks.

Yeah I'm in Denver too so maybe I'll swing by the admissions office tomorrow when I'm on campus. Good luck man. :xf: Will hopefully get some good news in the next couple of weeks.

Yeah, good idea. Thanks, man. You too! Hopefully we hear something soon!

Yeah, I wouldn't sweat it, man. I think people get rejections for a number of reasons. In your case I would be willing to bet that the schools didn't think you would end up going there if they were to offer you an acceptance, so they decided to just outright reject you. The application process is an odd thing, but when you think of it as a way to select the best candidates that would be interested in attending I find that it starts to make a little more sense.

Either way, good luck! ;)

By the way, not faring so hot yet... I'm 0 interviews for 4 schools, with completes at 3 of 4.

I hope you are right, but I would love to get more interviews so I can get into at least one school.

My first choice is CU, so if I get my acceptance letter in mid-Oct, I probably won't be flying out for interviews.

Overall, not many other schools can match quality of CU in terms of cost and facility as well as curriculum in my opinion. And their new state-of-the-art campus does not hurt either.:D

Good luck to you as well. I hope you get an interview soon.

PS. why did you apply to few schools. Most applicants seem to apply to at least 10 schools. It may increase your chance of acceptance?

Last edited:
I hope you are right, but I would love to get more interviews so I can get into at least one school.

My first choice is CU, so if I get my acceptance letter in mid-Oct, I probably won't be flying out for interviews.

Overall, not many other schools can match quality of CU in terms of cost and facility as well as curriculum in my opinion. And their new state-of-the-art campus does not hurt either.:D

Good luck to you as well. I hope you get an interview soon.

PS. why did you apply to few schools. Most applicants seem to apply to at least 10 schools. It may increase your chance of acceptance?

Yeah, I agree. If I landed an acceptance from CU I would consider my application process over. I wouldn't even bother with any other interviews, if I get them anyway...

I only applied to 4 schools because I feel that my application is not as strong as it could be. My MCAT was quite a bit weaker than my practice scores were indicating, so I'm planning on a retake this January and hopefully will land in that 35+ zone. I will update schools at that point and while they say they don't consider those scores, I don't think it will hurt for them to know that it went up. The other part is financial. I only wanted to apply to schools this year that I thought I had a good shot at, and didn't want to blow a ton of money only to end up at a program I wouldn't be completely happy at, hence the soon-to-be scheduled MCAT retake and the pre-planning for a new application year.

But who knows, maybe CU will take pity on my poor soul and grant me an acceptance anyway. :D

I was wondering about taking the MCAT in January even though I have been told they will not and do not accept scores after the September dates. I didn't get the score I think I could have, so I was thinking about taking the January test and sending it to see what happens. Does anyone know if they would actually take a look at it, any school for that matter not just CU?

Also, what is the deal with the status on the website? I was complete on the 22nd and I know it has not been long but do they update the site or send an email when they have completed the review and you are placed on hold as opposed to getting invited for an interview? I don't like this March 31 date for hearing your fate, I guess just assume if you aren't contacted before x-mas then you are out???

I was wondering about taking the MCAT in January even though I have been told they will not and do not accept scores after the September dates. I didn't get the score I think I could have, so I was thinking about taking the January test and sending it to see what happens. Does anyone know if they would actually take a look at it, any school for that matter not just CU?

Also, what is the deal with the status on the website? I was complete on the 22nd and I know it has not been long but do they update the site or send an email when they have completed the review and you are placed on hold as opposed to getting invited for an interview? I don't like this March 31 date for hearing your fate, I guess just assume if you aren't contacted before x-mas then you are out???

I think they'll look at your MCAT. I don't know if they'll count it, but if they are on the fence about your app it could help. At least that's what I'm hoping for.

As far as your second question, I think we are in limbo until we hear about an interview or March 31st. Your December timeline is a bit early. I've known people who were contacted for an interview after January and were accepted, but I'm thinking if I hear that late it can't be all that good.

Probably correct, either way I guess I have to take it in January for this year's application or if the wheels come off this year, next year's process. So I guess they interview about half of the in-state applicants, which is good news.

What has been the review period for applications? It seems relatively quick from the posts on here, so I guess if you don't hear anything in three weeks or so you aren't a top applicant they want to interview early.

Thanks for the answer and good luck... Guess I will see you at the Jan MCAT

Probably correct, either way I guess I have to take it in January for this year's application or if the wheels come off this year, next year's process. So I guess they interview about half of the in-state applicants, which is good news.

What has been the review period for applications? It seems relatively quick from the posts on here, so I guess if you don't hear anything in three weeks or so you aren't a top applicant they want to interview early.

The review period for the application seems really short since I got an invite within a week after my submission of the secondary app.

I think they did initial screen just looking at GPA and MCAT, because I don't think they can go through so many applications within that short time period. But I can be wrong.

The interview will be really important, I think, especially for those applying early.

Good luck!

I think they did initial screen just looking at GPA and MCAT, because I don't think they can go through so many applications within that short time period. But I can be wrong.

Inside sources that I have heard from say you are correct with your assumption.

Good luck with your interview tomorrow and be sure to let us know how it goes. Hopefully the rest of us will be receiving invites shortly!

hi kids, got a mstp invite here but i forgot to send the check

would anyone be kind enough to tell me if they take check/money orders? my check re-order hasnt come in yet and the admission office seems like they cant be contacted at the moment.

also could you verify if we send to this address?
University of Colorado Denver School of Medicine
Medical School Admissions
Anschutz Medical Campus
Building 500, Room C1009
13001 E. 17th Place, Mail Stop C297
Aurora, CO 80045

They do take checks for sure, but it sounds like you are out of checks for the moment. I can only assume money orders are accepted, but I didn't see any specific reference to them. You should check with your bank because most banks can issue you a temporary check if you don't feel comfortable with a money order.

I think the admissions office is closed down for the day because they are conducting the first set of interviews.

The address you have is correct.

Got my interview invite yesterday, super excited. Anybody else interviewing on Oct 12?

The interview is VERY important no matter when you get the interview!!! Just a word of advice I found it very helpful to stay with medical students from the schools interviewed at. I know that we have students who have offered to do so! Good Luck!!!

Don't believe this....just becuase you interview late does not mean you are not a top applicant. I interviewed later in the interview season and unlike some of my classmates was accepted the same day.

just got an interview invite and im out of state!

also...does anyone know if UCSOM is pass/fail? i searched all over the website and couldn't find out...

slash maybe some of you guys who are really interested and know alot about the school can give some example about what you love about the school? I don't know a lot about it but i'd like to learn more...

Status
Not open for further replies.