****2009 Tmdsas***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I took my DAT on July 2nd and had my scores sent to all 3 TX schools. TMDSAS still hasn't received them.

Anyone have any similar experienes and know what's going on??

Didn't you get like a 42 on your DAT or something? You're not allowed to be stressed.

Members don't see this ad.

If those scores are legit, then there is no need to be stressed about anything, except who will give you the best schollys.

I have a question about pictures:

On TMDSAS, it says that the pictures need to be the size of a passport photo but.. do they have to be passport photos (with white background and such) or can I just use one of the pics that i have and crop it to the passport photo size?

thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
it doesn't have to be a passport pic but it should look like it. I think the size is 2 by2. If you print them off your computer, use photo paper. It should also be professional looking.

I had to post something because our topic almost got pushed to page 3! haha

Also, has anyone received an interview from Houston yet?

Unfortunately, I haven't receieved an interview to anywhere in TX yet...I wonder if they go in order by the dates that apps came in...I applied fairly early (late May early June)..or maybe they find all the stellar GPAs and DATS and send those people interviews right away..who knows! I guess we should try and be optimistic!:rolleyes:

Unfortunately, I haven't receieved an interview to anywhere in TX yet...I wonder if they go in order by the dates that apps came in...I applied fairly early (late May early June)..or maybe they find all the stellar GPAs and DATS and send those people interviews right away..who knows! I guess we should try and be optimistic!:rolleyes:

I know Baylor looks at the apps as they come in and then sorts them for review according to their standards. Baylor told me they look at DAT science scores very hard in considering their candidates for interviews and those strong scores go to the front of the pile. I was a 17ts last year and didn't get an offer.

San Antonio seems to take into account time of application, DAT, and GPA more in their interview offers. Last year I applied early and was the second group to be interviewed (second week in August). I didn't get accepted (sad)and I am reapplying this year (yawn).

Every post I read says Houston is slow on offering interviews. It appears this year is no different. I know last year they didn't interview anyone until the last week of August.

just received a snail mail interview invite for baylor
it was sent out on july 22nd and interview is set for sept 03

my tmdsas was sent out on June 18th.

if you have any questions, feel free to ask

just received a snail mail interview invite for baylor
it was sent out on july 22nd and interview is set for sept 03

my tmdsas was sent out on June 18th.

if you have any questions, feel free to ask

congrat. and good luck for your interview in baylor.
you are in good shape and I am sure you will have all three Schools' interviews. :thumbup:

I need to vent, so please bear with me... I just realized two things that lower my sci and cum GPA substantially. The first of which is, TMDSAS does not do the whole plus/minus which blows for me b/c i have a lot of B+ in science courses... I have no B- and only one A- lol. The second problem I have has to do with hurricane katrina. My first day of college I was forced to evacuate due to the storm. When Tulane finally gave us word to look for a new school b/c it would be impossible to hold class that semester, I was a few weeks behind. By the time I started class at Rice U I had lost a full month of classes. Tulane assured me that the courses would be pass/fail so I didnt sweat my 3.0 there. Now TMDSAS says it will factor into my GPA which kinda sucks.

NOw my stats look like this: 20AA/21TS/19 PAT with a sci GPA 3.29 & cum GPA 3.63 ish. AM i still gonna get interviews at the Texas schools???? What should I do to explain the whole Rice / evacuating debacle?? MY science GPA is literally .2 grade points less than expected due to the reasons stated above.

Can someone give me advice/ honest opinions??? :(

I need to vent, so please bear with me... I just realized two things that lower my sci and cum GPA substantially. The first of which is, TMDSAS does not do the whole plus/minus which blows for me b/c i have a lot of B+ in science courses... I have no B- and only one A- lol. The second problem I have has to do with hurricane katrina. My first day of college I was forced to evacuate due to the storm. When Tulane finally gave us word to look for a new school b/c it would be impossible to hold class that semester, I was a few weeks behind. By the time I started class at Rice U I had lost a full month of classes. Tulane assured me that the courses would be pass/fail so I didnt sweat my 3.0 there. Now TMDSAS says it will factor into my GPA which kinda sucks.

NOw my stats look like this: 20AA/21TS/19 PAT with a sci GPA 3.29 & cum GPA 3.63 ish. AM i still gonna get interviews at the Texas schools???? What should I do to explain the whole Rice / evacuating debacle?? MY science GPA is literally .2 grade points less than expected due to the reasons stated above.

Can someone give me advice/ honest opinions??? :(

Isn't section 11 or 14 or whatever on the TMDSAS an optional essay where you get to explain whatever is not apparent from your application? Something like what you just said should be perfect. I used that to include a small paragraph about my first semester sophomore year b/c I had had major ankle reconstructive surgery 10 days before the semester and was in a wheelchair for a month, and crutches for 6 weeks but my first week at school, my ankle got a ridiculous staph infection so I had to leave school for two weeks and let it clean up. So I missed the first portion of OC 1 and bombed the first test so that brought down my grade in that class...In a few interviews, the interviewers actually brought up the ankle surgery and we talked about it...so I know they read that section.

Damn man that blows, I feel your pain. THis past year I had two knee operations to repair my ACL (tore it twice in a year) and in in b/w those two operations I had one on my foot b/c I suffered a LisFranc surgery (basically my foot folded in half and I tore a bunch of ligaments + broke some bones). Should I include this somewhere in my app too??

Im def thinking about putting the Katrina stuff for the special experiences section or what not. Do you think that will be sufficient to get my interviews??

sorry but i freaked out when i calculated how much my GPA dropped...

Dude. What a story. You ABSOLUTELY need to include your Katrina experience in the optional essay. You mentioned Tulane said the classes you took at Rice would count as pass/fail. This is usually the case when you transfer credits from one college to the other. The credits go toward your major but not your GPA. It sucks because you did not voluntarily transfer. I think its unfortunate how Tulane treated this whole situation. IMO, they should have treated credits like you were studying abroad. Anyways, do not be too hard on yourself. Tulane and Rice are GREAT schools!!! Surely, the admissions officers know this too. And then when they read your story, I would think (or like to think) they would be understanding. Not to mention your DAT scores are solid. So, sign off SDN and go finish up that application ASAP! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
So, sign off SDN and go finish up that application ASAP! :D

dude youre the man! thanks for making me feel better, I hope they are as understanding as you!! this whole debacle makes my stomach churn. Balls, I hope I still get into my number 1 choice : UTDB!!

For those who were interviewed last cycle, did you ever get grilled or put on the hot seat during the interview? I heard at UTHSC-SA they'll grill you for not having Biochem done...

For those who were interviewed last cycle, did you ever get grilled or put on the hot seat during the interview? I heard at UTHSC-SA they'll grill you for not having Biochem done...

nope. actually San Antonio(only place I had interview) was very nice and it was suggestion having Biochem will be very handy in D1.

I dont know if this is the right section to post this but i was wondering if i could get some feedback on my stats. Just took the DATs and got TS20 and AA 20. Have a 3.3 overall GPA and 3.1 sciences. Tone of shadowing, volunteer stuff and im from Florida. What you guys think?

GreenWave- you are most welcome, man. By UTDB I am assuming you mean Houston, but I could be wrong. In that case, you are in luck. They (Houston) have not even started sending out interviews yet. If you ever have any questions, feel free to message me.

I dont know if this is the right section to post this but i was wondering if i could get some feedback on my stats. Just took the DATs and got TS20 and AA 20. Have a 3.3 overall GPA and 3.1 sciences. Tone of shadowing, volunteer stuff and im from Florida. What you guys think?

if you have upper level science you are good to go. good luck :thumbup:

im not sure if you are talking about Texas or other dental schools.
you have similar GPA and DAT as me, but if you're trying to go to Texas dental schools as out-of-state resident, you'll probably have hard time getting interviews as Florida resident.
there are usually only 2-3 out-of-state in texas dental schools (some didnt even have one for 2007 cycle) so your stats must be outstanding. although your DAT is above average your GPA will probably hurt your chances of getting into Texas dental schools.

But you should have solid shot at other schools and probably Florida dental schools.

good luck to us all man

im not sure if you are talking about Texas or other dental schools.
you have similar GPA and DAT as me, but if you're trying to go to Texas dental schools as out-of-state resident, you'll probably have hard time getting interviews as Florida resident.
there are usually only 2-3 out-of-state in texas dental schools (some didnt even have one for 2007 cycle) so your stats must be outstanding. although your DAT is above average your GPA will probably hurt your chances of getting into Texas dental schools.

But you should have solid shot at other schools and probably Florida dental schools.

good luck to us all man

agree 100%

Hi all!!! This thread has been REALLY helpful to me through this stressful waiting game! So first, thanks to all for your super encouraging comments!! I just got an interview invitation from UT San Antonio Dental School! I applied early - my app was processed June 25. If you applied before then but haven't heard back yet - please don't get disheartened!!! There is always hope and it is just a super big deal to have the courage to even apply so be proud of yourselves!! :) My best wishes and super good luck to all!!!!!:thumbup:

Hi all!!! This thread has been REALLY helpful to me through this stressful waiting game! So first, thanks to all for your super encouraging comments!! I just got an interview invitation from UT San Antonio Dental School! I applied early - my app was processed June 25. If you applied before then but haven't heard back yet - please don't get disheartened!!! There is always hope and it is just a super big deal to have the courage to even apply so be proud of yourselves!! :) My best wishes and super good luck to all!!!!!:thumbup:

My app was processed on June 11th...after hearing your post, maybe I'll have something nice waiting in my mailbox this afternoon

First off, I want to say congrats to everyone who has interviews, and good luck to everyone still waiting. I was in your shoes a couple years ago, so I know exactly what you are going through.

On another note, I read this board pretty regularly, and I remember there being a post a while back about someone correcting someone about the name of a school. With that being said, I think it will be helpful for everyone to know that the dental school in San Antonio is in no way affiliated with The University of Texas at San Antonio. It is affiliated with the University of Texas system. So, when you go for your interviews, it would probably be a good thing to know that the dental school in San Antonio is called The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio Dental School, not UT - San Antonio Dental School. You have to write a short essay at your interview at San Antonio, and I would hate for someone to put down the wrong name of the school, and that be a reason for not getting accepted.

Anyways, best of luck to all!!!

I know the post after the above is from a guy who said that they did not grill him... I have to agree and also disagree with him. Let me explain.

At no time did they ever just start grilling me about anything. The SA interview was awesome overall and I still want to go there as my first choice. I know a couple people who interviewed and no one mentioned being grilled about not having taken Bio Chem yet from their experiences. They did mention it would be helpful during the main presentation. I spoke to a few people after our interviews and all seemed to have great experiences too.

Here is where I disagree… During my faculty interview (you do one with faculty and one with a student) I was asked what classes I was planning to take before my entrance to dental school. I explained that I did not have bio chem and was planning on taking it prior to entering so it would be fresh on my mind since I know a lot of D-1 students struggle in that class. At this point my interview guy (not even a dentist, he was a Ph.D. in blah, blah) got very stern and started lecturing me on how I should have already had the class and how I should rethink my plans. Did he really grill me? No! Did I feel like crap afterwards? Yes!!! The situation went from a casual chat to tense and awful instantly. I knew my interview was done and this guy would sink my app chances. FYI: I didn’t get accepted. This guy and I just didn’t mix after that moment. Anything I said after that was met with arms crossed, him leaning back in his chair and very little reaction. So in my interview it was a huge deal.

If you look at the interview reviews on SDN you can read about the interviews. It helps prepare you for the real thing because there are very few surprises after reading everyone’s experiences; unless of course you get an introverted PhD lab guy as your interviewer. If he is not a dentist then watch out…. I’m not bitter or anything though… haha!

I know the post after the above is from a guy who said that they did not grill him... I have to agree and also disagree with him. Let me explain.

At no time did they ever just start grilling me about anything. The SA interview was awesome overall and I still want to go there as my first choice. I know a couple people who interviewed and no one mentioned being grilled about not having taken Bio Chem yet from their experiences. They did mention it would be helpful during the main presentation. I spoke to a few people after our interviews and all seemed to have great experiences too.

Here is where I disagree… During my faculty interview (you do one with faculty and one with a student) I was asked what classes I was planning to take before my entrance to dental school. I explained that I did not have bio chem and was planning on taking it prior to entering so it would be fresh on my mind since I know a lot of D-1 students struggle in that class. At this point my interview guy (not even a dentist, he was a Ph.D. in blah, blah) got very stern and started lecturing me on how I should have already had the class and how I should rethink my plans. Did he really grill me? No! Did I feel like crap afterwards? Yes!!! The situation went from a casual chat to tense and awful instantly. I knew my interview was done and this guy would sink my app chances. FYI: I didn’t get accepted. This guy and I just didn’t mix after that moment. Anything I said after that was met with arms crossed, him leaning back in his chair and very little reaction. So in my interview it was a huge deal.

If you look at the interview reviews on SDN you can read about the interviews. It helps prepare you for the real thing because there are very few surprises after reading everyone’s experiences; unless of course you get an introverted PhD lab guy as your interviewer. If he is not a dentist then watch out…. I’m not bitter or anything though… haha!

I don't understand why it would make a difference when you took BioChem as long as you took it...why did it matter to the interview guy?

is there such thing as "screening" for good STATS (average+ GPA and average+ DAT scores) first and then look at the rest afterwards?

and if you didn't have good stats, would the schools just leave your application aside for awhile? :\

i'm just curious

is there such thing as "screening" for good STATS (average+ GPA and average+ DAT scores) first and then look at the rest afterwards?

and if you didn't have good stats, would the schools just leave your application aside for awhile? :\

i'm just curious

What you mean exactlly?
IMO if you have GPA 4.00 and DAT 17 for sure they are going to consider your application and very possible get invited for interview. If you have GPA 3.0X and DAT 17, it is very possible your application leave aside without any considration.

I don't understand why it would make a difference when you took BioChem as long as you took it...why did it matter to the interview guy?

they are thinking this way: can this applicant handle heavy loaded courses in Dental school? yes you are right if you have Histology, microbiology, Cell biology and Genetics and .... they are not going to grill you for one Biochem class.

Shawn, you really think not having Biochem in your transcript was the reason for rejection?

Shawn, you really think not having Biochem in your transcript was the reason for rejection?

I spoke with Baylor and they said it was one of several reasons I didn't get an invite to interview at Baylor last year. I was told my app was set aside pending new DAT scores and the need for advance sciences including BioChem. That is almost a direct quote from Baylor staff.

At SA, I think the conversation during my interview about not having bio chem didn't help me. It was obviously a bad topic with that guy and I felt like that part of my interview didn't help my cause at all. Since your interview is a big part of the application process, I do feel like not having the bio chem hurt my interview, therefore my chance for acceptance at SA last year.

Now does it hurt everyone's chances? I have no clue. The application committee makes its' choices on a lot of different things.

I do know all my friends that are D1 and D2 at Baylor said biochem at Baylor is an ass kicker and that you really need to know it. My friend that is D3 this year has a bio chem degree, worked in the bio chem industry and almost failed bio chem at Baylor. She said it was tough. So I know having it in undergrad can only help.

i'm just curious

Does Houston or San Antonio still have that formula posted on their website? One year they had a formula on their website that was based on stats. It was similar to what you have...

Here is what it said at one time on SA's site... If they still use this I have no idea...

Admissions consideration from UTHSCSA:
Management Model Score: (total points possible = 1000)
[science GPA x DAT-A Score/30 x 4 + Overall GPA] x 50 = Overall Score

I spoke with Baylor and they said it was one of several reasons I didn't get an invite to interview at Baylor last year. I was told my app was set aside pending new DAT scores and the need for advance sciences including BioChem. That is almost a direct quote from Baylor staff.

At SA, I think the conversation during my interview about not having bio chem didn't help me. It was obviously a bad topic with that guy and I felt like that part of my interview didn't help my cause at all. Since your interview is a big part of the application process, I do feel like not having the bio chem hurt my interview, therefore my chance for acceptance at SA last year.

Now does it hurt everyone's chances? I have no clue. The application committee makes its' choices on a lot of different things.

I do know all my friends that are D1 and D2 at Baylor said biochem at Baylor is an ass kicker and that you really need to know it. My friend that is D3 this year has a bio chem degree, worked in the bio chem industry and almost failed bio chem at Baylor. She said it was tough. So I know having it in undergrad can only help.

I agree about Baylor, having 18 in DAT with upper level courses is prefered DAT 20 without upper level courses. but San Antonio, honestly I can not say is same( you got your interview last year very early, that means they were interested to you without upper level courses) good luck for this cycle

I'm pretty sure (though not confirmed) that Baylor requires 18+ on all DAT sections in order to get an interview invite. This screen allows them to easily narrow their candidate choices to get the "best" applicants.

San Antonio's website says in very vague terms that some candidates are considered for an interview based upon the Management model score while other candidates are considered based on their whole applications. I'm pretty sure they're doing this on purpose (just sit there and think about this one for a second as they do not define how they divide applicants, stated plainly on their website if you do not believe me).

Anyways, I've heard that Houston doesn't consider GPA when they evaluate candidates for interview invites. They do look at DAT scores and prefer an AA of 19+. They also consider EC, LOE, and PS.

Anyways, if anyone hears from Houston, please post here. I know they are snails when it comes to emailing but they should be filling their end of August interviews soon!!!

I'm pretty sure (though not confirmed) that Baylor requires 18+ on all DAT sections in order to get an interview invite. This screen allows them to easily narrow their candidate choices to get the "best" applicants.

San Antonio's website says in very vague terms that some candidates are considered for an interview based upon the Management model score while other candidates are considered based on their whole applications. I'm pretty sure they're doing this on purpose (just sit there and think about this one for a second as they do not define how they divide applicants, stated plainly on their website if you do not believe me).

Anyways, I've heard that Houston doesn't consider GPA when they evaluate candidates for interview invites. They do look at DAT scores and prefer an AA of 19+. They also consider EC, LOE, and PS.

Anyways, if anyone hears from Houston, please post here. I know they are snails when it comes to emailing but they should be filling their end of August interviews soon!!!

Unless Baylor has changed in the past 2 years, it is not mandatory to have 18+ in all sections. If that were the case, then their average accepted DAT would be much higher than 19.5 (predents.com) IMO. I scored 18/18/15 with a 14 in QR and was accepted to all 3 schools, as well as one out of state school. All I really know about Baylor is that they really want to see as many upper division sciences as possible.

This is my interpretation of what you said UTHSCSA site says...

Some applicants will be invited for an interview based solely on the formula because their stats are incredibly high for the school's acceptance standards. I think everyone is screened using the formula, and those with a certain total from the formula are invited for an interview without having had the rest of their application reviewed yet. Those that do not meet the total from the formula that the admissions committee wants will have their entire applications reviewed before being invited for an interview. Ultimately, all applications are reviewed thoroughly prior to acceptance, and if I recall correctly, I think the interviews are open-file at San Antonio, or at least they were when I interviewed two years ago.

TMDSAS still hasn't received my DAT scores (took it July2).. I'm getting a little worried now.

Should I call prometrics, TMDSAS, or the schools to find out what's going on??

Or is this nothing out of the ordinary..

Wait.. It's probably bc I haven't submitted my app yet!

Last edited:
From experience, I know Baylor does NOT require 18+ in all sections of the DAT to receive an interview.

Also, TMDSAS will not show that your DAT scores have been received on your status page until your application has been submitted and processed. The date your app is processed will be the same date your scores were "received," unless, of course, you have not taken the test.

:sleep:
Unless Baylor has changed in the past 2 years, it is not mandatory to have 18+ in all sections. If that were the case, then their average accepted DAT would be much higher than 19.5 (predents.com) IMO. I scored 18/18/15 with a 14 in QR and was accepted to all 3 schools, as well as one out of state school. All I really know about Baylor is that they really want to see as many upper division sciences as possible.

you are right.

I have TS=20 AA=19 and RC=14, I emailed Baylor today about my low RC score. it is going to be fourth times. they told me I don't need any letters from school. just my active TMDSAS is enough. what you think guys? I wait for the schools or go ahead and register for retaking DAT. I got one interview last year from San Antonio. this year my application improved a lot like having Biochemistry and Genitics, and Volunteer works and total 22 hours extra in my pocket.

From what I know, a 14 RC is going to hurt you I think. I know there are probably people who do get accepted with low RC scores, but it seems to be a consensus from most schools that RC is heavily weighted in the admissions process. I know for Texas schools, PAT and QR are not emphasized as much. Unless you have some outstanding score like a 24+ on a section, I don't think a 14 RC will be work in your favor. But who knows? Only you can make the decision to retake or not. Best of luck!

From what I know, a 14 RC is going to hurt you I think. I know there are probably people who do get accepted with low RC scores, but it seems to be a consensus from most schools that RC is heavily weighted in the admissions process. I know for Texas schools, PAT and QR are not emphasized as much. Unless you have some outstanding score like a 24+ on a section, I don't think a 14 RC will be work in your favor. But who knows? Only you can make the decision to retake or not. Best of luck!

I have 23 in GChemistry and 21 in Bio and 18 Ochemistry

What kind of essay do they ask you to write about?

Last edited:
What kind of essay do they have you write?

What kind of essay do they want you to write about in the interview?

Is it me, or are the schools moving way slower than last year???

mamelons, I think we can't make any definite conclusions regarding how the schools choose people to interview because I have slightly better stats except for PAT (19/19/14 with a 19 in both RC and QR) and I didn't get invited to Baylor last cycle nor yet this cycle so to say that they "want lots of upper level science" is BS in a way (it has to be partially true cuz a billion other people said the same thing, but I think that it is just Baylor's "leave us alone" generic response) because all of my classes junior and senior year of college were all upper level science (including human physiology I and II which I took for a grade and WAS NOT required for my microbio major) plus I took upper level science classes at rice Univ as a grad student with the undergrads and did quite well (even though without being curved any differently).

sorry mamelons for coming off as belligerent, I don't mean to, I'm just frustrated with myself for not delivering on the DAT last year and having to study for it again (which I've been for the past 2 months). I do like to tip my hat off to you for being in dental school, it is quite an accomplishment. I do feel like this cycle is moving very very slow, but last year I submitted my application in mid-Sept and got SA and Hou interviews within two weeks, but this year I submitted way early (6/18/08) before the schools were really on the application review move. I just keep praying for a miracle: I'm still on Houston's waitlist until 8/18/08 when they start class. I'm already focused on a late DAT retake.

Elisedds, at SA the final part of the interview process is an essay. The topic of my essay last year was "Why did you choose the school you went to?" or something similar. I heard they have a couple of different essay topics, but I don't know what those were. Everyone in my interview got the same question and a friend who interviewed at a later date got the same topic too. It could be that everyone that interviews gets the same topic, but I don't know either way.

Also, I agree on it feeling slower than last year. Of course I think last year there were more than 5 of us posting, so there were more people announcing interviews. So far on predents only 4 people have posted interviews in Texas. I think by this time last year it was 10 or more. So maybe they are taking their time, or maybe they have sent out a ton of invites and only a couple of people who post will be getting invites this year. Now my hope is that no one but the people on the forum have applied, and they are forced to take us all due to the number of low applicants this year. haha! Wishful thinking!

Last edited:
mamelons, I think we can't make any definite conclusions regarding how the schools choose people to interview because I have slightly better stats except for PAT (19/19/14 with a 19 in both RC and QR) and I didn't get invited to Baylor last cycle nor yet this cycle so to say that they "want lots of upper level science" is BS in a way (it has to be partially true cuz a billion other people said the same thing, but I think that it is just Baylor's "leave us alone" generic response) because all of my classes junior and senior year of college were all upper level science (including human physiology I and II which I took for a grade and WAS NOT required for my microbio major) plus I took upper level science classes at rice Univ as a grad student with the undergrads and did quite well (even though without being curved any differently).

sorry mamelons for coming off as belligerent, I don't mean to, I'm just frustrated with myself for not delivering on the DAT last year and having to study for it again (which I've been for the past 2 months). I do like to tip my hat off to you for being in dental school, it is quite an accomplishment. I do feel like this cycle is moving very very slow, but last year I submitted my application in mid-Sept and got SA and Hou interviews within two weeks, but this year I submitted way early (6/18/08) before the schools were really on the application review move. I just keep praying for a miracle: I'm still on Houston's waitlist until 8/18/08 when they start class. I'm already focused on a late DAT retake.

sorry hearing that. I hope you will be accepted in Houston for 2008.
it is funny Houston and San Antonio need higher scores than Baylor and you had your interviews over there.
any way good luck and remeber, if Dentistry is our passion we shouldn't give up. :thumbup: