2010-2011 Columbia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just submitted the AMCAS.... c'mon guys, stop being so overachiever... :( (someone already SUBMITTED??)

anyway, columbia is my top choice, i suppose i should get started...

LOL! Same boat here...life is hard as an pre-med applicant :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)

the Cornell NYP-Sloan Kettering connection is often over-stated on these boards. Any med student in NYC can rotate through there,

Being in Manhattan means it's relatively easy to rotate at any of these places for an away. Especially, because you're already living in the city to begin with.

Any NYC (and US for that matter) student can APPLY to rotate and research there, but the NYP connection is why so many Columbia and Cornell students this year who wanted to are working there with funding as far as I am informed. In contrast, lots of students from other schools get rejected (There are about 50 spots and 600 applicants plus some other spots and funding options. I assume that they accept more than 50 and NYC students are most likely to "matriculate" over other options, which no doubt plays into why there is an overabundance of NYC and NYP kids). I would not come to Columbia or Cornell based on this, every school has its research perks, but there is an advantage. I assume as a whole NYC students do fair better than non NYC students, so it is true that being in the city gives you an advantage with the right connections. I'm just not confident that it is as strong an advantage as being a direct affiliate. I also agree that being in Manhattan does help to allow for a diversity of rotations during your elective, provided that your school is reasonably open to "do it yourself" rotations. However, direct connection is always the best, because otherwise it's more work and a far greater risk of being denied (if only because they run out of space from giving it all to affiliate school's first). Once again though, I wouldn't worry too much about comparing the logistical "territory" of different schools. As mdeast said, there are plenty of great hospitals and patients to go around and there is an enormous amount of cross talk among schools. A side perk of that is that there is a lot of meet and greets (or feed and breeds as I like to think of them) with all the other NY schools in the area. It's nice not to be alone. :D

Columbia has no true connection to MSKCC. Cornell does, but so does NYU and SLR. By that I mean residents at those places rotate through MSKCC. No Columbia resident rotates through there. Medical students have no advantage in rotating through MSKCC, except for Cornell due to proximity only. Any student can easily research at MSKCC if they want, but most will be Cornell students because again, due to proximity. I may be wrong, but I am not aware of any programs that directly strengthen the link between Columbia students and MSKCC.

Can we start working on our secondaries?

Columbia still has all my information I submitted in the 2008-2009 year and says I have submitted, so even though it says its the entering class of 2011 application, it won't let me update or rework on anything. I tried making a new account, but they wouldn't let me. :(

Can we start working on our secondaries?

Columbia still has all my information I submitted in the 2008-2009 year and says I have submitted, so even though it says its the entering class of 2011 application, it won't let me update or rework on anything. I tried making a new account, but they wouldn't let me. :(

They told me that you would be able to by this past week. It sounds like some people have had success and I would, at the very least, write the responses to the prompts that have been posted while you contact the office so that they may resolve this clerical problem.

Columbia has no true connection to MSKCC. Cornell does, but so does NYU and SLR. By that I mean residents at those places rotate through MSKCC. No Columbia resident rotates through there. Medical students have no advantage in rotating through MSKCC, except for Cornell due to proximity only. Any student can easily research at MSKCC if they want, but most will be Cornell students because again, due to proximity. I may be wrong, but I am not aware of any programs that directly strengthen the link between Columbia students and MSKCC.

As far as research, I was referring primarily to the cushy paid and funded opportunities available throughout the year and primarily in the summer. There is no doubt that free labor can get you into many a lab at many an institute. I also wasn't meaning to imply that SK is an affiliate of Columbia in any way (as far as I know, regardless of resident rotations, Cornell is the major affiliate). Columbia does, however, have indirect ties through NYP to SK that aid our students here. I won't push the line too far, because I have nothing besides my own experience and conversations with CUMC administration and thus can't cite numbers or stats about research opportunities or rotations. However, I will emphasize that Columbia and Cornell students are overabundant in the research programs. In terms of rotations, I would be surprised if at the very least Cornell students didn't get direct preference (and I still stand by the fact that I've never heard of a Columbia student not getting an opportunity and have personally heard that placements in medical school and beyond have been favorable), but then again I am operating under the assumption that there is a greater demand for SK elective spots than the center has room for. I really don't have that much experience on this particular subject because I have 1) not started rotations and 2)Did not apply for and do not know how many of my classmates applied for the summer grant at SK and thus only know that many got it... so it's definitely possible that I've got my wires crossed :D

For number 5, their specifically talking about work I did at a job right? I'm assuming unpaid research would be inappropriate to discuss here. If so, I do not submit an essay for this right? Or do I upload a file that says I did not work through college?

For 6, how long of an interruption would it need to be to even mention? I took Winter quarter 2010 off to study for the MCAT but I don't think that's something they want to hear.

Thanks

i have the same questions as jigga, but instead of taking a winter quarter off i was wondering if i'd have to explain not taking classes over summer. also kind of a stupid question i guess but in what form do we receive secondaries? are they forms emailed to us? i tried searching but i just got a lot of threads where everyone already seemed to know what secondaries look like :(

also, do we have to answer question #7 if we aren't interested in that program?

also kind of a stupid question i guess but in what form do we receive secondaries? are they forms emailed to us? i tried searching but i just got a lot of threads where everyone already seemed to know what secondaries look like

If you go to Columbia's website, you find a link to there secondary. I'll make it easy for you: https://app.applyyourself.com/?id=COL-MED

I assume you don't answer number #7 unless you are interested.

thanks! so do most schools have sites like this that we need to proactively go look for?

thanks! so do most schools have sites like this that we need to proactively go look for?

Nope. Most are invites. I heard Stony Brooks application is already up -- but I didn't apply there, so I can't verify.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there any consensus on question #7?
Anyone with more information rather than assumptions about #7? :p

Is there any consensus on question #7?
Anyone with more information rather than assumptions about #7? :p

In the application intrsuctions they write "Applicants interested in the Columbia-Bassett program should reply to the question posed unique to this program." That's it. But that's enough for me. Don't know why I would write an essay for something I wasn't applying to.

In the application intrsuctions they write "Applicants interested in the Columbia-Bassett program should reply to the question posed unique to this program." That's it. But that's enough for me. Don't know why I would write an essay for something I wasn't applying to.

Agreed, thanks. I also found in the 2009-2010 that the consensus was NOT to answer if you weren't applying to the columbia-basset program.

Amcas will soon be releasing to medical schools the data of applied students, at which time a formal secondary request will go out. So if you haven't finished your secondary you're still ahead of the game.

The photo form doesn't have my AMCAS number- anybody else on the same boat?

Does anyone know if you can use AP/IB transfer credit to meet the course pre-requisites at Columbia? I'm specifically wondering about the English requirement. I emailed them last week but they haven't replied, i may try calling soon.

Does anyone know if you can use AP/IB transfer credit to meet the course pre-requisites at Columbia? I'm specifically wondering about the English requirement. I emailed them last week but they haven't replied, i may try calling soon.

This is addressed indirectly on the P&S website.

This is addressed indirectly on the P&S website.

Thanks for your response. The website mentioned AP credits policy in biology and chemistry, but I'm not sure about English. Can I just assume it's ok since they didn't explicitly say it's not allowed? I just want to be sure because it may influence my course choices the upcoming year. Sorry if I'm being redundant.

Thanks for your response. The website mentioned AP credits policy in biology and chemistry, but I'm not sure about English. Can I just assume it's ok since they didn't explicitly say it's not allowed? I just want to be sure because it may influence my course choices the upcoming year. Sorry if I'm being redundant.

When it comes down to it, I doubt that their decision to give you an interview will depend on whether you took AP English vs. English 101. I'm somewhat in the same boat, but I've taken many writing intensive humanities and social science classes, so I'm not as worried. I have a feeling that most schools have an "English" requirement to make sure that prospective students can stretch their brains beyond the physical sciences, but there are many ways to demonstrate that competency. Just my two cents...

Yes, I would assume it's fine unless they explicitly state otherwise.

Hey guys,

There's a question on the Columbia secondary that states the following:

"Years of coursework you have completed, or will complete before September 2009*"

Is this a typo on the year? Or is this actually asking about what work we've done prior to 2009?

Hey guys,

"Years of coursework you have completed, or will complete before September 2009*"

Is this a typo on the year? Or is this actually asking about what work we've done prior to 2009?

I noticed that too, I think it must be a typo. I answered the question as asked, but maybe they'll fix it soon. I also assume they mean just college coursework.

Got the e-mail about applying to their secondary program today. Damn! I need to pester my professor about getting my last LOR in....

me toooo,

i have to go get another passport photo done, i had a giant mohawk in my last one.

oh it's freaking awesome! its a shame stereotypes exist.

Yea, I've been wanting to dye my hair crazy colors but I never seem to find a good time while trying to apply to medical school. <sigh> I've settled on a mixture of brown, red, and blonde... but it unfortunately isn't as crazy as it sounds (I look rather professional)

Yea, I've been wanting to dye my hair crazy colors but I never seem to find a good time while trying to apply to medical school. <sigh> I've settled on a mixture of brown, red, and blonde... but it unfortunately isn't as crazy as it sounds (I look rather professional)

r u a guy or a girl. I could see it looking professional on a girl but if ur a guy i just cant imagine how it could look professional loool

but yea def gonna show up with some stupid **** at white coat ceremony loool =)

r u a guy or a girl. I could see it looking professional on a girl but if ur a guy i just cant imagine how it could look professional loool

but yea def gonna show up with some stupid **** at white coat ceremony loool =)

A girl. It's pretty tame. I wanted pink or purple for the summer... but well, I never know when I might get an interview (and I had to take those photos), so I figured I would be on the safe side. Maybe the white coat ceremony... hmmmmm...

I even considered going all blonde this summer. But I figured I already act enough like a ditz at times, that I didn't need my hair to emphasize that in pictures or interviews. haha.

A girl. It's pretty tame. I wanted pink or purple for the summer... but well, I never know when I might get an interview (and I had to take those photos), so I figured I would be on the safe side. Maybe the white coat ceremony... hmmmmm...

I even considered going all blonde this summer. But I figured I already act enough like a ditz at times, that I didn't need my hair to emphasize that in pictures or interviews. haha.

hahaha well if I were to interview u i think ur hair would make u stand out, in a good way.
I'm sticking with a fauxhawk for the interview season. I think that's pretty safe and i think it looks pretty good.
I also wanted to get the top part of my ear pierced this summer but I think im gonna put that on holddddd. i swear at white coat ceremony they are gonna be like "who the F*ck sent this kid an acceptance letter??"

Does anyone know if question #5: "What sort of work did you do (include summer employment)?" pertains to paid jobs only during the year and/or summer? I'm thinking it's a tad bit vague, so any clarification would be appreciated. thanks a lot!

Does anyone know if question #5: "What sort of work did you do (include summer employment)?" pertains to paid jobs only during the year and/or summer? I'm thinking it's a tad bit vague, so any clarification would be appreciated. thanks a lot!

I believe questions 5 is a continuation of question 4, which involves paid-employment (though question 4 is just about hours during the school year I believe). Question 5 is asking what you did during this paid employment (and wants you to include summer jobs).

Actually -- I have a question regarding this. I work 5-10 hours per week as a TA during the school year and receive a tuition waiver (It's also implied that I do research too... so I'm working full time this summer with no dinero :( ). Would this count as paid employment/recompensation, even though I never see this money? I suppose it is but I just realized.

hahaha well if I were to interview u i think ur hair would make u stand out, in a good way.
I'm sticking with a fauxhawk for the interview season. I think that's pretty safe and i think it looks pretty good.
I also wanted to get the top part of my ear pierced this summer but I think im gonna put that on holddddd. i swear at white coat ceremony they are gonna be like "who the F*ck sent this kid an acceptance letter??"

well I think I am planning on keeping it multicolored for awhile (going for being a diverse applicant, haha). But yes, a fauxhawk is alot easier to hide then an earring... but people will be confused when you start medical school (but you might as well celebrate then!).

How much time should we be spending writing the first essay about satisfaction as a physician? for example, the personal statement took me forever and a month or more. i don't think i can do that again or for each secondary.

How much time should we be spending writing the first essay about satisfaction as a physician? for example, the personal statement took me forever and a month or more. i don't think i can do that again or for each secondary.

took me somewhere between 30-40 minutes and I think its pretty solid.

Hello, It pains me that I have not got secondary eassay invite yet:scared:
I only received an email from Columbia this morning regarding their "The Medical School for International Health" in collaboration with Columbia.

Did this occur to anyone else?
Could some one please be so kind to post their Secondary Invite Email format?
Thank you so so much

me toooo,

i have to go get another passport photo done, i had a giant mohawk in my last one.

Hello, It pains me that I have not got secondary eassay invite yet:scared:
I only received an email from Columbia this morning regarding their "The Medical School for International Health" in collaboration with Columbia.

Did this occur to anyone else?
Could some one please be so kind to post their Secondary Invite Email format?
Thank you so so much

here's the emaik:

Dear Applicant,

Thank you for applying to the Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons. We invite you to fill out our secondary application which can be accessed through ApplyYourself at:

https://app.applyyourself.com/?id=COL-MED

This year we are excited to introduce the Columbia-Bassett Program. If you are interested in this program, but would also like to apply to the Columbia MD program, please choose Columbia-Bassett. If you are not selected for an interview by the Bassett Program, your application will be considered for MD only. If you are only applying to the MD Program, do not fill out the Bassett question.

If you are a re-applicant, you will need to create a new pin and password for the 2010 Application. You will not be able to revise previous applications.

Once your application has been verified by AMCAS, and supporting materials have been received (letters of recommendation and MCAT scores), and you have mailed your passport size photo to complete your application, it will be forwarded to the Admissions Committee for evaluation. If you are not informed that your application is complete within two months after we receive it (and no later than December 15), you should contact us. It is in your best interest to do all you can to facilitate the prompt completion of your application. If completion is delayed for want of one or two letters, you can request letters from other individuals, but please inform us of the change. After December, the later your application, the fewer places remain in the class.

The deadline for submission of the P&S Secondary Application is November 15th at 11:45 P.M. EST. All supporting materials must be received in our office by December 15, 2010 and mailed to: Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, 630 West 168th Street, Box 41, Room 1 - 416, New York, NY 10032.

Thank you.

Thank you so much MB333999.
I wish everyone who has already received this email the best luck :)

here's the emaik:

Dear Applicant,

Thank you for applying to the Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons. We invite you to fill out our secondary application which can be accessed through ApplyYourself at:

https://app.applyyourself.com/?id=COL-MED

This year we are excited to introduce the Columbia-Bassett Program. If you are interested in this program, but would also like to apply to the Columbia MD program, please choose Columbia-Bassett. If you are not selected for an interview by the Bassett Program, your application will be considered for MD only. If you are only applying to the MD Program, do not fill out the Bassett question.

If you are a re-applicant, you will need to create a new pin and password for the 2010 Application. You will not be able to revise previous applications.

Once your application has been verified by AMCAS, and supporting materials have been received (letters of recommendation and MCAT scores), and you have mailed your passport size photo to complete your application, it will be forwarded to the Admissions Committee for evaluation. If you are not informed that your application is complete within two months after we receive it (and no later than December 15), you should contact us. It is in your best interest to do all you can to facilitate the prompt completion of your application. If completion is delayed for want of one or two letters, you can request letters from other individuals, but please inform us of the change. After December, the later your application, the fewer places remain in the class.

The deadline for submission of the P&S Secondary Application is November 15th at 11:45 P.M. EST. All supporting materials must be received in our office by December 15, 2010 and mailed to: Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, 630 West 168th Street, Box 41, Room 1 - 416, New York, NY 10032.

Thank you.

So, I already started that online secondary weeks ago, but never got a formal invite. Will I even get an invite since i started filling out the secondary?

Should I wait to finish the secondary until I get the invite?

:confused:

So, I already started that online secondary weeks ago, but never got a formal invite. Will I even get an invite since i started filling out the secondary?

Should I wait to finish the secondary until I get the invite? :confused:

I'm curious about this too. If I don't get an invite by Wednesday, I plan to just submit and assume they haven't sent it to me because I already opened an account.

I started the secondary but I haven't gotten the e-mail yet. :(

Should I wait to finish the secondary until I get the invite?

:confused:

I started filling it out but still got an invite.

Check your spam.

nuttin' in the spam :(.
My AMCAS was verified early this week. So, I just didn't get an invite. yet i guess. YET!
I'm not below any cutoffs or anything...

I started filling it out a while ago and didn't get an invite (not in any of my spam folders).

I figure I'll finish it up and submit it right when I get the e-mail.

Hey guys,

It's a typo. In the PDF of the app that you can download prior to submitting, it says "September 2010"

Under recommendations.

"List here the names of three persons familiar with your work whom you have asked to support your application with individual letters of recommendation."

but it also says

"If your letters are being sent by any of these services DO NOT LIST THE NAMES BELOW. Only if you are having individual letters sent, or are an MD/PhD applicant, should you list the names below. (Have you requested your College Premedical Committee, Advisor or Letter Service to send us a recommendation?)"

So if my career services center sent them to AMCAS (which I has then on file), do I still have to write the individual information? My career services center sent each letter to AMCAS as an individual letter.

Also...

"Have you requested your College Premedical Committee, Advisor or Letter Service to send us a recommendation?"

Do we put "yes" if we sent it to AMCAS? I mean my career center didn't send it to Columbia directly...a bit confusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.