2010-2011 Columbia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats on getting off the WL!
I requested for a second interview too, but they sent me an email saying they weren't offering any at the moment. Did you get that email as well? If so, did you send them anything else afterward?
Thanks.

If you don't mind me asking, who did you email to request a second interview?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not much hope for my D either way but did those of you on the waitlist submit your financial aid application....and did those of you who got off get information on any aid? I am the "banker" so need to figure this stuff out now.

Thanks. Good luck to all of you on the waitlist.

Hey rach2rocks, did you email the Dean himself or the admissions office with an email addressed to the dean? Thanks and congrats to all who've gotten in!!!
hey Boston boy, I emailed both the same email - I was getting really anxious....Wendy replied me back pretty quickly with an attachment letter from Dr. Nicholas saying that they weren't offering any at the moment.
I've given up hope =(

Not much hope for my D either way but did those of you on the waitlist submit your financial aid application....and did those of you who got off get information on any aid? I am the "banker" so need to figure this stuff out now.

Thanks. Good luck to all of you on the waitlist.

Now is an appropriate time to submit financial aid info. They process your aid as quickly as possible once of waitlist. That is sped up by the pre-submission.

i really love columbia and would love to attend. i have a second interview tomorrow morning.

however, i am holding a full scholarship plus stipend at my state school. granted, it is not nearly as good as columbia, but my question is, does columbia have decent aid that may be able to compete with this offer?

should i go on with my second interview?

thank you!

i really love columbia and would love to attend. i have a second interview tomorrow morning.

however, i am holding a full scholarship plus stipend at my state school. granted, it is not nearly as good as columbia, but my question is, does columbia have decent aid that may be able to compete with this offer?

should i go on with my second interview?

thank you!

It is highly unlikely that you will get enough aid to compete dollar for dollar with a full scholarship. The question is, if given a similar financial divide as when you were considering Vanderbilt, would you pick columbia or would u stick with SC? If the answer is still SC I would call and cancel.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I was told they had more acceptances this year than usual.

What I meant by already attending is that a number of people from current classes, myself included, are within the group. This artificially inflates the membership. Something like 100 people on wait list are offered a position.

Facebook isn't exactly contractually binding in any case.

Do we even know roughly how many get off the waitlist typically?

What I meant by already attending is that a number of people from current classes, myself included, are within the group. This artificially inflates the membership. Something like 100 people on wait list are offered a position.

Thanks yeah I got what you meant I just quoted the wrong person. 100 sounds pretty good...

I've heard this from Dr. Nicholas and the office staff. Honestly though it seems like every year the waitlist moves slower than the year prior. :laugh:

Dean Nicholas = Zeno of Columbia

Hi guys,

I was lucky enough to get into Columbia. I just got into Cornell off the waitlist yesterday, and was wondering which you guys think I should choose. Obviously, Cornell has a better location. But since that is relatively superficial, I wanted other opinions on which to choose and why. Thanks!

Hi guys,

I was lucky enough to get into Columbia. I just got into Cornell off the waitlist yesterday, and was wondering which you guys think I should choose. Obviously, Cornell has a better location. But since that is relatively superficial, I wanted other opinions on which to choose and why. Thanks!

Actually, Cornell is in a really boring neighborhood. Probably the most boring neighborhood in Manhattan, actually, but it is much closer to Central Park, Brooklyn, and the fun neighborhoods below midtown.

Actually, Cornell is in a really boring neighborhood. Probably the most boring neighborhood in Manhattan, actually, but it is much closer to Central Park, Brooklyn, and the fun neighborhoods below midtown.

Yea, this is true. You should pick Cornell :D

Rejected!

I am happy with where I am headed now, so I'm not crushed, but it is still kind of disappointing.

It was weird. I had a second interview scheduled for yesterday morning. Called on time and everything but was told Dr. Nicholas was in a meeting and I needed to reschedule. I received the rejection later in the day. Would have loved for a chance to sell myself again. Oh well. Good luck to those still holding on!

Rejected!

I am happy with where I am headed now, so I'm not crushed, but it is still kind of disappointing.

It was weird. I had a second interview scheduled for yesterday morning. Called on time and everything but was told Dr. Nicholas was in a meeting and I needed to reschedule. I received the rejection later in the day. Would have loved for a chance to sell myself again. Oh well. Good luck to those still holding on!

That's rough

Rejected!

Sorry to hear that. So they are rejecting people off the waitlist at this point?! Was it an email? Best of luck where you end up.

Sorry to hear that. So they are rejecting people off the waitlist at this point?! Was it an email? Best of luck where you end up.

In some ways I would prefer a waitlist rejection instead of waiting the entire summer with little or no chance of getting in

Hey Everyone - This is my first post to SDN but I figured my experience might be illuminating (I definitely don't mean to brag!). I interviewed February 4, got notified of wait-list March 14. I decided to send a letter of intent along with my wait-list notification a few days after receiving my initial notice (about what I could add to the class). I sent another letter (about academics) three weeks later. I received an email from Ellen Perez asking for a second interview with Dean Nicholas on April 27, "in response to my letter of Mar 19." Note, a full month and a half after my first letter. I was definitely planning on sending out at least two more letters if I hadn't heard anything.

Anyhow, my second interview (kind of unfairly feasible for me because I live in Brooklyn) was on May 12. Here's the craziest part: Dean Nicholas told me a spot had opened for me as soon as I walked through the door. Needless to say, I was floored.

For everyone with their fingers crossed, keep sending letters, emailing, and calling! I was holding no hope of getting in and somehow things worked out. By far the most common advice I received from my friends in the school (all three of whom got in off the wait-list) was to continue expressing interest in the school. Make sure to mention how you can add to the incoming class - I think that really helped my case. Not to mention making them my first choice right off the bat.

Lemme know if you have any questions! I'm happy to provide whatever advice I can.

Good luck!

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::thumbup:

^Congrats! That must've been quite the experience (and a huge relief if you had been preparing for a full out interview).

Rejected!

Holy cow. How did they notify you?

Last edited:
Hi guys,

since you never withdrew from Cornell's waitlist, it seems like there something about it that you like more. you really ought to go where you're happy, and location's not a superficial concern. so if that's what'll make your experience more worthwhile, then you should take that into consideration.

Hi guys,

Go with fit my friend. Feel free to come visit, I'm happy to host you.

Also, beware that both the Columbia and Cornell thread have people on waitlist at those schools.

It was via email, the very same day where Dean Nicholas had a meeting so couldn't make our second interview phone appointment.

Again, I am already really happy with where I am going, but I definitely did not like the manner in which I got rejected. Anyone know why this could have happened? Maybe I got the second interview invite by mistake or something, I dont know.

It was via email, the very same day where Dean Nicholas had a meeting so couldn't make our second interview phone appointment.

Again, I am already really happy with where I am going, but I definitely did not like the manner in which I got rejected. Anyone know why this could have happened? Maybe I got the second interview invite by mistake or something, I dont know.

Be a little less identifiable online in the future, that would be my first guess.

Disclaimer: I've never heard of columbia using online info in the admissions process. However, I myself was once identified by an adcom and contacted regarding a post. You have posted enough to be easily identified if someone so wanted to.

Last edited:
yeah maybe that has something to do with it.

but i don't think i ever posted anything that would be regarded as a red flag by an adcom

EDIT: i hope i am not coming off as overbearing or anything right now, but i really do want to know if anyone has ever been put in a similar situation. i am extremely happy with the way the application cycle turned out for me and at this point, i want to take everything else as a learning experience. I am hoping to get in touch with someone at columbia to talk about my file. I know some other schools do this too.

Thanks everyone! I know I come off as really neurotic sometimes. i think and worry when i'm alone. then i release it on here. otherwise, i am with friends and don't even think about it.

Last edited:
yeah maybe that has something to do with it.

but i don't think i ever posted anything that would be regarded as a red flag by an adcom

I think the fact that you have shown that you were willing to reject a top 15 school in Vanderbilt for a great financial package at your state school and that though you liked Columbia that you weren't necessarily gonna go because of the financial offer probably was good reason for Dr. Nicholas to rescind the potential offer of admission off the waitlist. That second interview is to demonstrate that you would be a perfect fit there and to ensure that you would go there over your current med school. Your threads clearly indicate that Columbia was not clearly your number one and that you might not go despite being accepted off the waitlist (See thread on this page with you talking to mmmcdowe). I dont think that there were too many people offered second interviews at Columbia from South Carolina so you clearly identified yourself that way. No offense, but you naivete towards this situation is quite astounding for you not to realize what went wrong. 1) you identified yourself very clearly on a public online thread with a Columbia student who has easy access to the adcom and the dean of admissions and 2) you foolishly presented yourself as someone willing to rescind an offer to a high quality medical school for a lower tier one due to financial reasons. You'll probably be very happy and very capable at MUSC but you clearly did not play the game right when it came to Columbia!

im sure adcoms can identify most people on this forum if they wanted to.

so many people give their exact scores, exact date they received an interview, where they are from, etc. some peoples names are in their username.

additionally, adcoms can look to see all the different threads the user posts in. almost every user clearly navigates towards a particular school as evident by their posts.

i just figured this was not a big issue.

now... i should have thought about schools not wanting to offer acceptances off of waitlists to people they weren't sure would attend. this could have been a huge issue. again, i never really confirmed on here that i would turn down columbia for a full ride... and i still don't know

still, even if i was identified and dean nicholas did see it and decide not to accept me, the manner in which i was rejected is still something i had never really seen before. a cancelled appointment directly leading to a rejection. i guess since i was offered a second interview in the first place, the only logical explanation i can think of for this was that dean nicholas wasn't sure i would even accept an offer, because of my posting history. i'm not even sure.

i just never knew adcoms actually look at sdn and base decisions off of this.

im sure adcoms can identify most people on this forum if they wanted to.

so many people give their exact scores, exact date they received an interview, where they are from, etc. some peoples names are in their username.

additionally, adcoms can look to see all the different threads the user posts in. almost every user clearly navigates towards a particular school as evident by their posts.

i just figured this was not a big issue.

now... i should have thought about schools not wanting to offer acceptances off of waitlists to people they weren't sure would attend. this could have been a huge issue. again, i never really confirmed on here that i would turn down columbia for a full ride... and i still don't know

still, even if i was identified and dean nicholas did see it and decide not to accept me, the manner in which i was rejected is still something i had never really seen before. a cancelled appointment directly leading to a rejection. i guess since i was offered a second interview in the first place, the only logical explanation i can think of for this was that dean nicholas wasn't sure i would even accept an offer, because of my posting history. i'm not even sure.

i just never knew adcoms actually look at sdn and base decisions off of this.

We don't actually know that this happened because of SDN, like I said I've never heard of it. As everyone knows Columbia's adcom isn't the most tech savvy... The only time I've even heard of Columbia rejecting from the waitlist is in the case of 1) Someone doing something bonkers and 2) Being caught in a lie. Even if Dr. Nicholas saw your posts, like you said there isn't anything to say that you would under no circumstances come. I would have expected him to question you about it but not necessarily reject you for it. You can try to request an explanation (I would be interested, personally), but usually that is reserved for people who will be reapplying.

Last edited:
wait so not only was the matter in which i got rejected kind of unique (cancelled phone second interview straight to rejection by email later that day) but the fact that i got rejected at all is kind of rare in itself?

wow i really am curious now. i know i didn't fabricate anything on my application and i surely didn't do any bonkers

i had the most wonderful interactions with ms. perez. she was so friendly to me the whole time and I feel like I was doing the same.

i'm sorry im taking over this thread! i hope this is as entertaining to everyone else as it is for me, especially since its only a waiting game at this point

wait so not only was the matter in which i got rejected kind of unique (cancelled phone second interview straight to rejection by email later that day) but the fact that i got rejected at all is kind of rare in itself?

wow i really am curious now. i know i didn't fabricate anything on my application and i surely didn't do any bonkers

i had the most wonderful interactions with ms. perez. she was so friendly to me the whole time and I feel like I was doing the same.

i'm sorry im taking over this thread! i hope this is as entertaining to everyone else as it is for me, especially since its only a waiting game at this point

I gotta say, I'm curious as to what went on here. I'm more curious about what will happen to me on this waitlist, but I also can't help but feel bad for you, even though you say you're "extremely happy." This is just an awkward thing that shouldn't have happened. Hope you at least get an explanation if you want one.

Yeah there are so many other ways this could have turned out that would have been perfectly all right

1) Not getting an interview
2) Getting a post-interview rejection
3) Not being offered a phone interview
4) Not being accepted after the phone interview
5) Moved to the bottom of the waitlist and never be seriously considered

But a cancelled phone interview -> rejection is what concerns me. Again, I don't feel bad, but whatever I did, I know for a fact that it is something I want to avoid for the rest of my life haha. I'm going to call on Monday. I emailed but got no response.

Definitely making sure I am completely anonymous on the internet from now on though, thats for sure.
After I matriculate :)

Yeah there are so many other ways this could have turned out that would have been perfectly all right

1) Not getting an interview
2) Getting a post-interview rejection
3) Not being offered a phone interview
4) Not being accepted after the phone interview
5) Moved to the bottom of the waitlist and never be seriously considered

But a cancelled phone interview -> rejection is what concerns me. Again, I don't feel bad, but whatever I did, I know for a fact that it is something I want to avoid for the rest of my life haha. I'm going to call on Monday. I emailed but got no response.

Definitely making sure I am completely anonymous on the internet from now on though, thats for sure.
After I matriculate :)

If I were offered a phone interview, and then had it cancelled, which turned into a rejection email/letter, I would call and ask for a reason. I think they owe you an explanation given the above circumstance, atleast I would try.

Yeah I'm going to call them Monday. I'll share... if its nothing too personal :)

Status
Not open for further replies.