2010-2011 Columbia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
does anyone else think it's weird that the secondary asks for "years of course work you have completed or will complete before september 2009"?

If I just graduated from college this year, would I put 3 years since sept. 2009 was before I started my senior year? This just seemed like such a weird question to me.

Also, what did any of you do if you didn't have paid employment during the school year for that question?

Members don't see this ad.

does anyone else think it's weird that the secondary asks for "years of course work you have completed or will complete before september 2009"?

If I just graduated from college this year, would I put 3 years since sept. 2009 was before I started my senior year? This just seemed like such a weird question to me.

Also, what did any of you do if you didn't have paid employment during the school year for that question?

It should read "September 2010." Someone earlier in this thread called the admissions office and they confirmed that it was a typo.

I mailed in my photo on 7/5 and haven't heard anything either. I'll probably call on Monday.

Members don't see this ad :)
you know how the secondary asks for your science GPA? if i'm not yet verified with AMCAS should I wait until I am verified to submit the secondary so that I know what my science GPA is for sure so that there is no discrepancy?

Call on Friday if you don't hear back this week. Your file might have just been at the bottom of a new stack or something.
This. Those emails are generally sent out a day or two after actual completion. After I sent in my photo last year I called again, and they told me I was complete. I got the completion email like two days later, though perhaps it was expedited because I called.

It should read "September 2010." Someone earlier in this thread called the admissions office and they confirmed that it was a typo.

haha i didnt know it was a typo so I treated it like it was 2009. think they would understand?

haha i didnt know it was a typo so I treated it like it was 2009. think they would understand?

They better understand. I did the same thing. I do not think it is our responsibility to proof read their damned application. I answered what they asked. Period. I am stressed out enough already...

Chillax people, you can always update them on what you did for that missing year at a later point. It isn't that big of a deal, they have your amcas. If anything, their error gives you an extra good excuse to contact them in the future. ;)

Last edited:
.4. About how many hours per week, if any, did you spend in work for which you were recompensed during the college year?*

I know "recompensed" of course refers to paid positions, but does work I did in exchange for credits fit under this category. For example, a TA position for credit would fit here or under extracurriculars? .

.4. About how many hours per week, if any, did you spend in work for which you were recompensed during the college year?*

I know "recompensed" of course refers to paid positions, but does work I did in exchange for credits fit under this category. For example, a TA position for credit would fit here or under extracurriculars? .

I would put it elsewhere besides payed work. I guess since the course description probably doesn't explain your responsibilities you can put it under ECs, but it's a course really.

I receive a tuition waiver for TAing -- I consider this paid work... even if I never see the money.

I receive a tuition waiver for TAing -- I consider this paid work... even if I never see the money.

Maybe I misunderstood. I was assuming that he/she meant he was getting credit for being a TA (like doing research and getting 2 upper level science credits or something), but if he/she means like you then yeah I think it would be understandable.

Really though it isn't going to matter as long as you specify the terms of your commitment.

Maybe I misunderstood. I was assuming that he/she meant he was getting credit for being a TA (like doing research and getting 2 upper level science credits or something), but if he/she means like you then yeah I think it would be understandable.
Yea, it wasn't that clear to me either. regardless, both our answers will help depending on the situation he/she is in.

Members don't see this ad :)
For the photo we submit, are there any guidelines for the type of photo? Should it simply be a head shot or is it okay to crop a picture taken with other people? Thanks!

I wasn't able to uncover any more information beyond "give us a picture of yourself." I gave a simple head & shoulders picture wearing a collared shirt in front of some leaves. Also since they specified passport-sized, I made it 2x2 even though the box they gave had nonstandard dimensions. It's too hard to size a picture to that box without knowing the dimensions.

I called the Columbia Ad Office this morning. But I was told by a lady they could not check if I was complete or not. I actually submitted my secondary in July 4 and mailed my photo in July 2. I remembered someother people mentioned before they called Ad Office and got complete. So now, how should I do? Is anybody else in same boat with me? :p

Hey everyone, just wanted to drop in and wish y'all good luck in this application season! I'm an incoming M1, interviewed with Dean Nicholas, so if you want any perspective on interviewing and such, I'll try to help as much as possible, although it looks like mmmcdowe of course is still unbelievably helpful and involved as usual-this guy never seems to stop, and you will probably meet him in the admissions office if you interview in the first semester.

Anyway, look forward to seeing y'all in the admissions room, and I'll try to stop by especially if anyone from my old university drops in (wash u).

Last edited:
in the recommendations section i checked off YES to the first question asking if ur using a letter service.

And then it asks what my Advisors name is?
what advisor?
it wont let me submit cuz that field is empty but im not sure what im supposed to put there...

in the recommendations section i checked off YES to the first question asking if ur using a letter service.

And then it asks what my Advisors name is?
what advisor?
it wont let me submit cuz that field is empty but im not sure what im supposed to put there...
I put my undergraduate advisors name there -- he also wrote me a LOR. No idea if that was correct. I think some people just wrote interfolio or amcas there?

yea i was thinking of putting interfolio but i wasn't sure if that was right. i guess i'll go with it since others have done the same.
thanks guys & good luck

For the EC question & employment question, do we literally just list activities separated by commas or do we include descriptions as well?

Can't they just look at the work/activities section of AMCAS for this?

yea i was thinking of putting interfolio but i wasn't sure if that was right. i guess i'll go with it since others have done the same.
thanks guys & good luck

if you havne't already submitted, just put "Packet" under name of advisor. i called them. but whatever you put its not a big deal

when i mail them a photo, can it be on regular printer paper or do i need to go get it on the glossy photo paper?

i guess i want to just print out a picture and send it rather than go get some made

when i mail them a photo, can it be on regular printer paper or do i need to go get it on the glossy photo paper?

i guess i want to just print out a picture and send it rather than go get some made

I just printed it on glossy paper and it was accepted.

How do you check if your photo or LORs have been received and if your application is complete?

How do you check if your photo or LORs have been received and if your application is complete?

they'll send you a final confirmation email that says:

Dear Applicant,

This email is to inform you that your application for admission has been completed and will be evaluated by the Committee on Admissions.

You will be notified promptly if the Committee votes to request an interview with you.

Thank you,
Admissions Office

Other than this email, I don't think there is a status update page or anything to check.

you know how the secondary asks for your science GPA? if i'm not yet verified with AMCAS should I wait until I am verified to submit the secondary so that I know what my science GPA is for sure so that there is no discrepancy?

I'm in the same boat. Someone earlier said to calculate your GPAs based on AMCAS's guidelines and that you'd probably just get close to the actual. Someone else earlier said that they called Columbia and they told them to leave it blank. i'll probably call Columbia later today and find out.

if i submitted my amcas before spring quarter grades were available, should i just use my verified amcas sGPA w/o those grades, or recalculate with those grades? i know the answer is probably the former, but if i do the latter my sGPA will be higher

I wasn't able to uncover any more information beyond "give us a picture of yourself." I gave a simple head & shoulders picture wearing a collared shirt in front of some leaves. Also since they specified passport-sized, I made it 2x2 even though the box they gave had nonstandard dimensions. It's too hard to size a picture to that box without knowing the dimensions.

I spent a while wondering what size picture to put in the box as well. I decided they must not mean dimensions when they say passport; they must instead be talking about background, lighting, soulless expression, etc. I also decided it probably is not that big of a deal and ultimately cut a larger photo down to fit the box.

I spent a while wondering what size picture to put in the box as well. I decided they must not mean dimensions when they say passport; they must instead be talking about background, lighting, soulless expression, etc. I also decided it probably is not that big of a deal and ultimately cut a larger photo down to fit the box.
I am totally smiling in my passport photo and drivers license. Considering how often I change my hair color/style (wear glasses though none of my photos have them on), the smile is really my only district feature. Usually when I get carded people don't believe it's me... until I smile. haha

I just cut down a photo to their non-standard size and mailed it in. I wonder if they eliminate me for not having it 2x2.. but I didn't even notice that requirement.

my picture was a bit bigger than the box but i didn't think it would be that big a deal so i just left it. if they disregard my app for that then i dont even wanna go there lol

My adviser isn't sending my letters to AMCAS until August 1 --- should I selected 'no' that my letters haven't been sent then? My LORs have been sent... but to my adviser who is writing my committee letter...

Also, should our science GPA be the same as our AMCAS science gpa? Or should we exclude our math grades and just put pure science gpa?

Thanks!

My adviser isn't sending my letters to AMCAS until August 1 --- should I selected 'no' that my letters haven't been sent then? My LORs have been sent... but to my adviser who is writing my committee letter...

Also, should our science GPA be the same as our AMCAS science gpa? Or should we exclude our math grades and just put pure science gpa?

Thanks!

I'm in a similar situation and selected yes.

I put No and still got a complete e-mail

I put No and still got a complete e-mail

how long did it take for you to get a complete email after you submitted everything? it's been 5 days for me. just wondering.

has anyone got a complete email yet?

how long did it take for you to get a complete email after you submitted everything? it's been 5 days for me. just wondering.

I was "complete" ~2.5 weeks after submitting my secondary

i have a recent passport photo but it is a pretty bad picture of me in a tshirt or something like that.

does it actually matter?

i have a recent passport photo but it is a pretty bad picture of me in a tshirt or something like that.

does it actually matter?

Walgreens does it for just a few bucks and a few other schools (like Yale when you interview) also like mugshots. It might be worth it to invest.

I got a complete email that read:

Dear Applicant,

This email is to inform you that your application for admission has been completed and will be evaluated by the Committee on Admissions.

If any additional letters of recommendation are uploaded on AMCAS after the date of this e-mail, please notify us by sending an e-mail to "[email protected]". When you send this e-mail, please identify the letter writer in your e-mail.

You will be notified promptly if the Committee votes to request an interview with you.

Thank you
Admissions Office

lol so i went to go get some good passport photos. got a haircut and everything.

bring the photos home. my eyes are really red lol. i look pretty stoned. the thing is, my eyes are always red. big deal?

Soooo I submitted my secondary to Columbia a couple of weeks ago but my application is not complete since I'm still waiting on one letter of recommendation. The letter should be in by the end of this week, so I am getting ready to have my career center send my letter packet off, but then I realized that I don't actually know what Columbia's letter requirement is. Is it just 3 letters from anyone? And only 3, no more? I can't find the requirements anywhere! Thanks :D

just fyi, i called the admissions office yesterday to ask if my file was incomplete since i submitted my secondary about a month ago and still haven't received a "you're complete" email. the lady told me that they are still reviewing files and said to call at the end of next week if i still haven't received an email.

Status
Not open for further replies.