2010-2011 Duke Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine changed to exclude the line about the U.S. Post but it may have been because that line used to say March 2010, which is the wrong year. Then again, I may be just trying to convince myself I didn't get rejected.

I really doubt that it is an indication of your status either way.. that would be a really random indicator.

Members don't see this ad.

Mine doesn't say the bit about the US postal service... makes me think e-mail is a possibility, but its weird we dont have the same message!

Your application is complete and is awaiting a final decision from the Committee on Admissions. To insure your privacy and to protect the integrity of the admission process, decisions will not be given over the telephone. We appreciate your interest in the Duke University School of Medicine and wish you the best of luck!

interesting, mine doesn't say the bit about the postal service any more, either. Must have gotten changed since I copied and pasted that this morning...

Members don't see this ad :)
newest, from PAS

We anticipate distributing admission decisions beginning the week of March 7, 2011. Acceptances will be mailed to the address housed in your DukeMed Personal Account. Students who are wait listed or not offered a seat in the 2011 entering class will receive their decisions via the email account housed in their DukeMed Personal Account. DO NOT TELEPHONE THE OFFICE OF ADMISSIONS. NO DECIS IONS WILL BE GIVEN OVER THE TELEPHONE (this is for your protection and privacy). PLEASE UPDATE BOTH YOUR U.S. POSTAL ADDRESS AND YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS (it is also wise to update your email spam filters or provide an alternate email address in the event your college or university spam filters are applied). POSTAL ADDRESS SHOULD ALSO INCLUDE APARTMENT NUMBERS IF APPLICABLE.

This is what my Duke account says about decisions:

We anticipate distributing admission decisions beginning the week of March 7, 2011. Acceptances will be mailed to the address housed in your DukeMed Personal Account. Students who are wait listed or not offered a seat in the 2011 entering class will receive their decisions via the email account housed in their DukeMed Personal Account. DO NOT TELEPHONE THE OFFICE OF ADMISSIONS. NO DECISIONS WILL BE GIVEN OVER THE TELEPHONE (this is for your protection and privacy). PLEASE UPDATE BOTH YOUR U.S. POSTAL ADDRESS AND YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS (it is also wise to update your email spam filters or provide an alternate email address in the event your college or university spam filters are applied). POSTAL ADDRESS SHOULD ALSO INCLUDE APARTMENT NUMBERS IF APPLICABLE.

Woah...now I'm really hoping I don't receive any e-mails from Duke after I interview next week! :rolleyes:

I wonder if all the e-mails will go out simultaneously, or if they'll stagger them (probably the latter, but who knows...).

Woah...now I'm really hoping I don't receive any e-mails from Duke after I interview next week! :rolleyes:

I wonder if all the e-mails will go out simultaneously, or if they'll stagger them (probably the latter, but who knows...).

:xf:

I would think they would send them all out at once, seeing as how they wait until everybody is done interviewing so they can make all the decisions at once.

All I know is I'm hoping not to see any emails from duke any time around march 7th.

:luck::luck::luck:

Hey all, does any know if Duke gives any preference to Duke undergrads or NC residents? They say they don't but the percentages for Duke undergrads and NC residents are higher than expected.

Hey all, does any know if Duke gives any preference to Duke undergrads or NC residents? They say they don't but the percentages for Duke undergrads and NC residents are higher than expected.

USNews stats indicate a definite instate preference at the POST-interview decision stage. Not sure about Duke u'grads specifically, though...

Will Duke send any emails to those accepted saying they have good news coming their way in the mail?

Or are they to assume a non-response is a good response?

Will Duke send any emails to those accepted saying they have good news coming their way in the mail?

Or are they to assume a non-response is a good response?

I would assume neither. I do not believe they send an email letting you know of a soon arriving acceptance letter. That being said, one year the email servers failed, so later in the day when some thought they might be safe, rejection emails were sent that evening.

We anticipate distributing admission decisions beginning the week of March 7, 2011. Acceptances will be mailed to the address housed in your DukeMed Personal Account. Students who are wait listed or not offered a seat in the 2011 entering class will receive their decisions via the email account housed in their DukeMed Personal Account. DO NOT TELEPHONE THE OFFICE OF ADMISSIONS. NO DECISIONS WILL BE GIVEN OVER THE TELEPHONE (this is for your protection and privacy). PLEASE UPDATE BOTH YOUR U.S. POSTAL ADDRESS AND YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS (it is also wise to update your email spam filters or provide an alternate email address in the event your college or university spam filters are applied). POSTAL ADDRESS SHOULD ALSO INCLUDE APARTMENT NUMBERS IF APPLICABLE.

I was really hoping for March 1st, but alas, another week of waiting...... :xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
For current students at Duke, how good a financial aid package do they have? Also are there any current or graduated international students who can tell how much aid Duke has for internationals and if it is mainly in loans, grants or both?

For current students at Duke, how good a financial aid package do they have? Also are there any current or graduated international students who can tell how much aid Duke has for internationals and if it is mainly in loans, grants or both?

As a current applicant, we were told on interview day that financial aid was need based, and that about half of the need would be covered by grants and the rest by loans. Beyond that I don't have any details, maybe if a current student is on here, they could tell you more...

As a current applicant, we were told on interview day that financial aid was need based, and that about half of the need would be covered by grants and the rest by loans. Beyond that I don't have any details, maybe if a current student is on here, they could tell you more...
Thanks. I interviewed by skype so couldn't ask as many financial aid questions as I wanted to, so that's helpful. Any info from current students is also welcome :)
Fingers crossed and praying as the countdown to the week of March 7th begins

Thanks. I interviewed by skype so couldn't ask as many financial aid questions as I wanted to, so that's helpful. Any info from current students is also welcome :)
Fingers crossed and praying as the countdown to the week of March 7th begins

Duke's also one of the few schools to offer full-tuition merit scholarships as well. I don't remember how many, but it was several.

Duke's also one of the few schools to offer full-tuition merit scholarships as well. I don't remember how many, but it was several.

According to that article in the DukeMed Alumni News, How Duke Defines 'Capable of Brilliance', they give anywhere from 10 to 15 merit scholarships each year.

According to that article in the DukeMed Alumni News, How Duke Defines 'Capable of Brilliance', they give anywhere from 10 to 15 merit scholarships each year.
If I recall correctly from my interview day, they have 14 full-ride scholarships that are merit based and about half of their class gets some sort of support during the third year, but that may be a bit fuzzy.

this is what i recall as well..

:xf:

If I recall correctly from my interview day, they have 14 full-ride scholarships that are merit based and about half of their class gets some sort of support during the third year, but that may be a bit fuzzy.

Thanks for all the info guys. So I am guessing theres no application for the full ride merit based scholarships and probably the top 14 (?) acceptees are offered it?

Oh well, i didn't get a chance to visit the campus so I am hoping I get too...at second look weekend :xf:

Thanks for all the info guys. So I am guessing theres no application for the full ride merit based scholarships and probably the top 14 (?) acceptees are offered it?

Oh well, i didn't get a chance to visit the campus so I am hoping I get too...at second look weekend :xf:

I don't believe that the Merit Scholarships are based solely on the top 14 accepted applicants. I think it's more about bringing diversity, but a current student would probably be able to provide better insight than I. The excerpt below is regarding the Dean's Merit Scholarships. The other merit-based awards are the Fullerton Scholarships, which the website says are for NC and SC residents only, and scholarships for MSTP students. Anyway, this is what the Financial Aid website says, under Aid Package:

"Seven Dean's Tuition Scholarships in the amount of current tuition are awarded to academically excellent incoming medical students whose life experiences and background will meaningfully contribute to the diversity of the class. Factors considered may include personal attributes, experiential factors, demographics or other considerations. Selection is made by the Vice Dean of Education based on recommendations from the Medical School Admissions Committee."

Finally had my Skype interview yesterday. My interviewer said that some of the things on my application made me a 'special candidate.' Hopefully that indicates something! Here's hoping.

I think everyone Duke interviews is a "special candidate."

So interviews are almost, if not already, over here and I sent an update letter to their general admissions email address. Has anyone else who has done this got a response/confirmation or was there another address updates were supposed to go to?

So interviews are almost, if not already, over here and I sent an update letter to their general admissions email address. Has anyone else who has done this got a response/confirmation or was there another address updates were supposed to go to?

No, I mailed an update letter in 8 days ago and haven't heard anything back. I'm assuming that they don't confirm the receipt of updates. Let me know if you hear otherwise.

No, I mailed an update letter in 8 days ago and haven't heard anything back. I'm assuming that they don't confirm the receipt of updates. Let me know if you hear otherwise.
ya i called them and they said they don't confirm receipt of update letters because there have been so many updates.

ya i called them and they said they don't confirm receipt of update letters because there have been so many updates.

I sent an update in Mid January and got an email back the next day that they added it to my file.

I sent an update in Mid January and got an email back the next day that they added it to my file.
oh. well, i sent mine last week and i called this past tuesday and they said they wouldn't be sending any confirmations.

Yea I also sent an update in January and got a response. Perhaps since its so close to decision time now, everyone is sending updates so they can't respond

Cautiously optimistic over here. I really hope Duke works out this time!

I've got my virtual interview tomorrow and am officially nervous :p I guess at least I probably won't have to wait long to know how things turn out. Duke's my number one at the moment so fingers and toes crossed!

Given that I have my skype interview on Sunday, I have a suspicion that admission decisions are going to trikle out in the beginning... so i would suggest everyone stay calm if they don't have a letter early on, even through the end of March..

I've got my virtual interview tomorrow and am officially nervous :p I guess at least I probably won't have to wait long to know how things turn out. Duke's my number one at the moment so fingers and toes crossed!

Given that I have my skype interview on Sunday, I have a suspicion that admission decisions are going to trikle out in the beginning... so i would suggest everyone stay calm if they don't have a letter early on, even through the end of March..
I'd disagree about the end of March part. But yea I'd say for the week of the 7th and 14th probably decisions would be going out. I think Duke tries to send out acceptances ASAP but rejections are the ones that take their sweet time sometimes as I remember from last year I had a regional interview and didn't get my decision till final week of March, which was just unnecessarily frustrating. Here's to a better year though!!

Wow. I didn't even realize that they were still doing interviews. I thought I'd read somewhere that they'd be done interviewing mid-February. Just when I think I know something. Haha.

all this waiting is nerve-wrecking : )
I hear ya. I'm hoping they'll surprise us and beat their "week of March 7" announcement by a few days.

Hey fellas (and ladies!),

I just spent a while browsing through last year's thread. Apparently, Duke had sent out a similar email, promising decisions by the 8th (which I believe was a Tuesday??) but people got big envelopes the previous Friday, Saturday, Monday, onward. The dreaded emails didn't come out until later (9th or 10th) when most people have already heard about the acceptance.

However, I don't think the acceptance snail mail before rejection/WL trend always held true, as some people didn't find out about acceptances until MUCH later. Some got an invitation to Second Look before the official letter.

Either way, it is going to be a fun couple of days. People are going to be gettin' crazy up in here!

just out of curiosity (not that it will help with the anxiety, or anything) does anyone know how many applicants Duke interviewed this cycle? i remember reading that it was between 700-900 but i mean, come on, there's a huge difference between those numbers...and of course, along the same line, does anyone know how many acceptances there will be? waitlist offers? just looking for guesses/ballpark here...

no great expectations, but still hoping for a miracle...

just out of curiosity (not that it will help with the anxiety, or anything) does anyone know how many applicants Duke interviewed this cycle? i remember reading that it was between 700-900 but i mean, come on, there's a huge difference between those numbers...and of course, along the same line, does anyone know how many acceptances there will be? waitlist offers? just looking for guesses/ballpark here...

The alumni magazine I got in my folder said 750 applicants get interviewed. Then, I guess the number goes down to 180 when decisions are sent out, but I'm not clear if that includes waitlisted candidates as well (or only those accepted).

Think it might be too late to send Duke a post-interview update letter?

Here's the article RockyIronparts is talking about:

http://catalog.proemags.com/publicat...a#/b47aafea/87

I hear ya. I'm hoping they'll surprise us and beat their "week of March 7" announcement by a few days.

I think they might...I'm sure everyone who interviewed received the same email, but here is an excerpt from it:

"Our timetable for the remainder of our admission season is as follows: interviews will conclude in late February with a target date for mailing decision letters at the end of February through the first week of March 2010. Duke does not roll. "

Any current Duke students know if they are stuffing envelopes yet? Eagerly waiting...

I think they might...I'm sure everyone who interviewed received the same email, but here is an excerpt from it:

"Our timetable for the remainder of our admission season is as follows: interviews will conclude in late February with a target date for mailing decision letters at the end of February through the first week of March 2010. Duke does not roll. "

Any current Duke students know if they are stuffing envelopes yet? Eagerly waiting...

what? i interviewed in beg of Nov and did not receive such an email. when did u receive this?

what? i interviewed in beg of Nov and did not receive such an email. when did u receive this?

I don't think I got this email either? I interviewed in mid-December on-campus. There are similar messages posted to the PAS...but I don't think with exactly the same wording...

Status
Not open for further replies.