2010-2011 Duke Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey y'all,

I called the PCLT coordinator today, to ask about the status of the interviews. So far, they have sent out ONE interview and they are still deciding who else they want to interview. Just some useful information for my fellow nail biters. :xf::luck:

Members don't see this ad.

While sitting in the admissions office waiting on one of my interviewers to come in, Mr. Wallace strolled by holding a teddy bear. Of course, one of us just had to ask why in the world a fully grown man was lugging around such a thing. As soon as Mr. Wallace turned around, I knew it was story time.

To keep things short, he informed us that this particular bear hangs out in the admissions office, which just so happens to be frequented by medical students in need of free candy and coffee. Well, one student (forgive me, as I can't recall his name), would often smack the bear around, slap it and throw it on the floor and such. Maintaining civility, Mr. Wallace tried to ignore the abuse. However, one day, he came into the office and found that the bear had been pinned by its neck to the wall. Rightfully infuriated, revenge came to mind.

As such, Mr. Wallace took a photograph of the bear holding a knife and a note reading "I'm coming for you." He then gave the photo to one of the offending student's friends, who then slipped it under his pillow one night. Upon waking, the student felt the rustling of the photograph under his pillow.

The bear hasn't been bothered since.

Hahahahaha. I love how chill and open the administrators are with the students. Given the number of students literally hanging out in the admissions office (yes, for free food and drinks) on my interview date, their relationship with the students was clear. I really love this about Duke.

Oh, Mr. Wallace. He had such an animated and comical yet important quality about him. He reminded me of something but I just couldn't put my finger on it til a few weeks after my interview. His face and mannerisms remind me of a frog (I say that in the least disrespectful way possible). Does this ring a bell with anyone else?

for those of you who have had virtual interviews, how was it? I know it probably depends on the interviewer, but was it more laid back since it was via webcam, and how long did it take in total? Also, are we allowed to ask question on financial aid, the campus and living since we don't get to see the campus or would the interviewer not know too much about it?

Members don't see this ad :)
What is NOT disrespectful about comparing a human being's face and mannerisms (not to mention a medical school administrator) to a "frog?"

What is NOT disrespectful about comparing a human being's face and mannerisms (not to mention a medical school administrator) to a "frog?"

Mr. Wallace--
I personally found your talk to be extraordinarily meaningful and inspiring. I don't think he/she meant any disrespect (or anticipated you reading the comment).

Yay! First interview invite! Complete app on Nov. 15th, interview invite Nov. 30th, scheduled interview Jan. 31st. I was really surprised at the quick turnaround time, considering I haven't heard a peep from a ton of other schools I submitted much earlier than Duke. Quick question: I applied for PCLT - is this a completely separate interview process? Or should I expect them to ask PCLT-related questions when I go for the interview?

Thanks for chiming in - it's good to get some firsthand experience re: reality vs. myth.

When I say Duke's third year is not for me, I already have a graduate degree and established research; therefore, while I could use their third year to continue those endeavors, I'd rather spend more time with clinical medicine. That, and, there are other top schools (e.g., UNC, Michigan, Hopkins) that are stronger in my research field (public health). I appreciate what you elect to do with your third you is rather flexible and their approach to Step 1 is great.

Now that most top schools integrate clinical exposure from day one, I think Duke's approach boils down to preference. It's not a matter of one method (one vs two years) being 'easier' than the other but rather how you want to spend your four years of medical education. Duke certainly provides its students an abundance of opportunity and resources.

By and large the people I know at Duke love it but - for me - some of their comments were informative (and, to reiterate, I was paraphrasing their comments, not expressing my assumptions).

Thanks for your insight - I'm sure many people on here will find it useful in interpreting their curriculum.

Oh, and, Go Tar Heels.

Thank you very much for the info! What is the date of the USMLE Step 1, or are there multiple dates?

for those of you who have had virtual interviews, how was it? I know it probably depends on the interviewer, but was it more laid back since it was via webcam, and how long did it take in total? Also, are we allowed to ask question on financial aid, the campus and living since we don't get to see the campus or would the interviewer not know too much about it?

I can only speak for my own virtual interview experience, but my interview was extremely laid-back. We just had a really good conversation for 75 minutes. Now don't get me wrong, my interviewer still asked a few moral/ethical questions that made me think, but it was completely enjoyable and non-confrontational. I didn't really have that many questions afterwards, but there was time allotted at the end for any questions - about anything. Good luck on your interview!

Mr. Wallace--
I personally found your talk to be extraordinarily meaningful and inspiring. I don't think he/she meant any disrespect (or anticipated you reading the comment).

Thank you. I also found him to be inspiring for his comments on medical school and general advice on life. He's the one that actually reminded me the importance of having some humor and never to take life too seriously...

finally had my virtual interview. It was pretty chill and enjoyable. Here's waiting and praying for positive news next year!

Yay! First interview invite! Complete app on Nov. 15th, interview invite Nov. 30th, scheduled interview Jan. 31st. I was really surprised at the quick turnaround time, considering I haven't heard a peep from a ton of other schools I submitted much earlier than Duke. Quick question: I applied for PCLT - is this a completely separate interview process? Or should I expect them to ask PCLT-related questions when I go for the interview?
I got an interview invite before they even sent out PCLT applications. To my understanding PCLT is a different application process and have barely started interviewing yet. When I called earlier this month, they said they were still reviewing my essays and would get back to me after the holiday season. I already had my regular interview though and they did not ask anything related to PCLT.
Hope that helps

I got an interview invite before they even sent out PCLT applications. To my understanding PCLT is a different application process and have barely started interviewing yet. When I called earlier this month, they said they were still reviewing my essays and would get back to me after the holiday season. I already had my regular interview though and they did not ask anything related to PCLT.
Hope that helps

Thanks hitsugaaya! I assumed PCLT was separate, since someone else posted they had only invited one person to interview so far, but just wanted to make sure. Thanks again for the info!

I called the guy in charge of the PCLT program to ask about my app. He said it was under review by the director, but that she is gone on vacation until next week. He said that only one interview invite has gone out so far (which has been true for awhile). He also said that people might be hearing back in a couple of weeks (I am assuming after the holidays). I asked about the number of interviews available, and it didn't seem like there was a set number, but it was based more on quality of essays? Additionally, the number of PCLT members in the incoming class for next year has gone down a little to 3-6 students.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are Duke's admissions statistics like in terms of # interviewed and # accepted?

What are Duke's admissions statistics like in terms of # interviewed and # accepted?

They claim that they aim for roughly 180 accepted out of 750 interviewed, but for Fall 2009 it was 216 accepted out of 1010 interviewed.

They claim that they aim for roughly 180 accepted out of 750 interviewed, but for Fall 2009 it was 216 accepted out of 1010 interviewed.

Slim pickins!

Where did you find this info? Is there a single website that lists this information for all schools? (# applied/# interviewed/# accepted?)

Slim pickins!

Where did you find this info? Is there a single website that lists this information for all schools? (# applied/# interviewed/# accepted?)

There is an earlier post in this thread with a pdf of the Winter edition of the Duke Med Alumni publication in which they explain the admissions process. That's where I got the numbers they aim for. I got the real numbers for last year's class from USNews.

So I called to ask where I should send my update of fall grades to, and the lady said they don't need them? Why would they not look at fall grades, especially if applicants did well in the fall and wanted to show them?

So I called to ask where I should send my update of fall grades to, and the lady said they don't need them? Why would they not look at fall grades, especially if applicants did well in the fall and wanted to show them?

Maybe they put more weight on other parts of your application, i.e. your essays and, if you've been selected, your interview. They must gather all they need/want in terms of grades from the transcript that comes with your AMCAS. Not sure, but just a thought. :)

There is an earlier post in this thread with a pdf of the Winter edition of the Duke Med Alumni publication in which they explain the admissions process. That's where I got the numbers they aim for. I got the real numbers for last year's class from USNews.

Here is the URL that should take you to the article directly. I believe you need flash player, but it also gives you the option to download the publication in pdf format. I love the way they do admissions. I just wish we didn't have to wait until March to find out if we got in. Haha.

http://catalog.proemags.com/publication/b47aafea#/b47aafea/85

Hey everyone,
I have my interview scheduled for the second week of January, unfortunately I've pretty much run out of travel money so I've decided to withdraw my application. Will an email to the general email box ([email protected]) be ok or should I call them?
Thanks for your help! And good luck to everyone!:luck::luck::luck:

To the ladies who have interviewed in person:

have any of you worn pantsuits? Someone cautioned me the other day against wearing a pantsuit, saying I should go for a skirt suit, but unfortunately I don't own the latter and am quite tall, so finding one would be extremely difficult...

~Kalyx

have any of you worn pantsuits? Someone cautioned me the other day against wearing a pantsuit, saying I should go for a skirt suit, but unfortunately I don't own the latter and am quite tall, so finding one would be extremely difficult...

~Kalyx

I wore a pantsuit. :) Personally, I just like pants better. I'm tall too, so I didn't even bother looking for one with a skirt.

Hey everyone,
I have my interview scheduled for the second week of January, unfortunately I've pretty much run out of travel money so I've decided to withdraw my application. Will an email to the general email box ([email protected]) be ok or should I call them?

Why not ask to see if you can switch to a webcam interview?

Why not ask to see if you can switch to a webcam interview?

Hey everyone,

I'm sure an email would be fine, but unless you're already set with where you want to go to medical school - why wouldn't you at least inquire about doing the virtual interview?

I'm sure an email would be fine, but unless you're already set with where you want to go to medical school - why wouldn't you at least inquire about doing the virtual interview?

Thanks guys! I had forgotten about the virtual interview :p (I ignored that option when I got the invite because I really wanted to visit the school, I heard it's beautiful). I have been accepted to one of my top choices in my home state though :D so I will most likely cancel this one (I want to stay in CA). :luck:

I interviewed back in September and Dr. Armstrong told us not to be strangers if we have items to update to our file. Does anyone know the best way to do this? Letter, email, other?

Thanks!

I interviewed in the fall and called the admissions office a few weeks ago about sending an update letter. They said they don't want applicants to send updates until after they finish interviewing (sometime in mid-February) because they do not do rolling admissions...

Rejected pre-interview today. Shocker. :rolleyes:

C'est la vie +pity+

Got an interview invite a few days ago. Will picking an interview date in January instead of February affect my chances?

Interview invite this morning! I'll be going to Duke in February (all of the January dates were full). Definitely excited about this school! :)

I interviewed back in September and Dr. Armstrong told us not to be strangers if we have items to update to our file. Does anyone know the best way to do this? Letter, email, other?

Thanks!

Vision2011 et al, I'm a student at DukeMed. I was in a similar situation, having graduated with honors, won several awards, and decided to do some more global-health-related work before school ... all after my interview.

I mailed in a cordial but professional, one-side, one-page letter with the salient details of my recent updates. A good idea for length/format is AT MOST how you did "activities" on the AMCAS, probably even shorter (i.e. keep it brief/couple of sentences for each update). You can probably email it just as well. Make sure to give some context to exactly what your updates mean and/or why they are relevant and/or why they are an "update" rather than just telling the same story that your application already has. Put yourself in the admissions officers' shoes: the "update" itself definitely doesn't annoy them; it's just that if it's the fifteenth different update letter with very flowery language in a very busy week that doesn't say anything meaningfully new or relevant ... I would be a bit frustrated, too.

Not sure if this is the "perfect way" (does such exist?), but it worked for me! Best of luck in this med school application process. I remember how annoyingly stressful and drawn out it can be. Only a couple more months...

What the heck? Are all the interview dates taken?

I don't want to do a virtual interview, that sucks. I don't even know what a virtual interview is.

ohhh Duke... I am soo ready for it to be march RIGHT. NOW.

~Kalyx

I wore a pantsuit. I'm personally more comfortable in pants and haven't had an issue with it during my interviews. It was actually recommended to me to wear a pantsuit over a skirt by a family friend who is also on the adcom for another school. I think you will easily find support and advice for either so go with what you will be more comfortable in. In the end, I doubt your choice will make or break you as an applicant :).

Thanks!

I interviewed in the fall and called the admissions office a few weeks ago about sending an update letter. They said they don't want applicants to send updates until after they finish interviewing (sometime in mid-February) because they do not do rolling admissions...

I also called a few weeks ago and was told politely that they do not accept update letters or letters of interest/intent and that there was nothing I can do post interview to update my application. I may call again to clarify if I can sent a letter after they are done interviewing since the person I spoke to did not mention this to me.

I also called a few weeks ago and was told politely that they do not accept update letters or letters of interest/intent and that there was nothing I can do post interview to update my application. I may call again to clarify if I can sent a letter after they are done interviewing since the person I spoke to did not mention this to me.
yeah, i thought that was what she meant, but maybe i was wrong? please let us know what you find out!

I wore a pantsuit. I'm personally more comfortable in pants and haven't had an issue with it during my interviews. It was actually recommended to me to wear a pantsuit over a skirt by a family friend who is also on the adcom for another school. I think you will easily find support and advice for either so go with what you will be more comfortable in. In the end, I doubt your choice will make or break you as an applicant :).

@srivastk: I bet you looked really hot in that pantsuit. If you were my doctor, I would let you give me a physical exam, complete with "turn and cough" and everything else. But I'd still like to see you in that mini-skirt ;)

does anyone know who is on the admissions committee? like a list of the members?

@srivastk: I bet you looked really hot in that pantsuit. If you were my doctor, I would let you give me a physical exam, complete with "turn and cough" and everything else. But I'd still like to see you in that mini-skirt ;)
that's harassment.

HAHAHAHA

You know I did! Btw, I AM your doctor and you know I prefer to ditch the pants and skirt.

HAHAHAHA

You know I did! Btw, I AM your doctor and you know I prefer to ditch the pants and skirt.

128800795098943480.jpg

Bahahahahaha where did this thread just go?

any word from the PCLT front?? Its past new years...

Interview invite today after being rejected MSTP.
there might be hope left for this cycle! yay

Question though: There are two dates bolded (the last 2 wednesdays in Jan) and nothing afterwards or before. But when I select them they're both unavailable. Does this mean I'll have to do a virtual interview? (I'd really rather go to campus and get the whole experience since I've never been there before....)

Last edited:

Question though: There are two dates bolded (the last 2 wednesdays in Jan) and nothing afterwards or before. But when I select them they're both unavailable. Does this mean I'll have to do a virtual interview? (I'd really rather go to campus and get the whole experience since I've never been there before....)

A) Congrats!
B) When were you complete?
C) Interview invite via email, snail mail, or status on website?

Yeah during my interview on January 3rd I overheard the admissions people telling someone on the phone that their only option was doing a virtual interview.

You could always ask to be put on a wait list though in case someone cancels their live interview.

A) Congrats!
B) When were you complete?
C) Interview invite via email, snail mail, or status on website?

I was complete technically Nov 3rd cause they thought they were waiting on a letter but they said they were already considering my app by then.

I submitted Oct 17th. Rejected mstp Nov 4th. Interview invite was via email and status update change to "select date" today. Going ot have to call them monday and see if I have to do a virtual interview. it wouldn't be the end of the world since I can always goto NC during their second look. I have a really good friend that goes there for undergrad so I always have a place to crash :p

Status
Not open for further replies.