2010-2011 PhD/PsyD Interview Invite thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ME TOO!! I am supposed to hear about acceptances from one of the schools I applied to this week so I am freaking out!!

I can't decide if watching movies is better or sleeping days away :)

I've unfortunately had this past week off of work, because I was originally going to Canada for the week (figured it would be a perfect activity to get my mind off things). But because my travel companion had a family emergency and we had to call off the trip, I've had nothing to do this week but to sit and stew.....not good for staying sane!

That being said, I've found that a combination of sleeping until 2pm and catching up on a backlog of TV shows on my DVR to be a good way to pass time as quickly as possible. :D

Members don't see this ad.

Sure thing. I just updated list but will do this for all future ones!

Thanks for maintaining the thread, ClinChildPsy13! When more invites start getting extended, can you do what futureapppsy2 did last year by including a "new as of [date]:" section at the top of the interview post. Thanks! :)

Congrats!! I hope oyu enjoy the excitement of your first interview invite :D

I just got my first interview invite! :laugh: Hoorah! Alright, here is the info:

University of Tulsa; Clinical PhD program- call from POI.
The interview is Friday Jan 28th.

Members don't see this ad :)
That probably depends on which movies they are :laugh:

ME TOO!! I am supposed to hear about acceptances from one of the schools I applied to this week so I am freaking out!!

I can't decide if watching movies is better or sleeping days away :)

I've unfortunately had this past week off of work, because I was originally going to Canada for the week (figured it would be a perfect activity to get my mind off things). But because my travel companion had a family emergency and we had to call off the trip, I've had nothing to do this week but to sit and stew.....not good for staying sane!

That being said, I've found that a combination of sleeping until 2pm and catching up on a backlog of TV shows on my DVR to be a good way to pass time as quickly as possible. :D

haha we have the same rituals! i've been sleeping in til like 1pm, eating a lunch that is way too big, checking my status on every school website, watching movie after movie and then bed!

i just finished 'The Town'...it was quite good!

Hopefully, tomorrow/very soon some invites will go out! Congrats to everyone who has one so far! :)

haha we have the same rituals! i've been sleeping in til like 1pm, eating a lunch that is way too big, checking my status on every school website, watching movie after movie and then bed!

i just finished 'The Town'...it was quite good!

Hopefully, tomorrow/very soon some invites will go out! Congrats to everyone who has one so far! :)

oh and i meant to mention that i'm sorry about the family emergency..leading to the week off .. hopefully that gets better!

anyone hear from UCSB yet? i saw people posting a few days back, it should be coming out soon...my top choice and im supppper nervous.

anyone hear from UCSB yet? i saw people posting a few days back, it should be coming out soon...my top choice and im supppper nervous.

I love UCSB's program and I am eagerly waiting as well. I thought it might help to know that I haven't heard back from them either. Hopefully we will by Fri. or so. Best of luck!

I love UCSB's program and I am eagerly waiting as well. I thought it might help to know that I haven't heard back from them either. Hopefully we will by Fri. or so. Best of luck!

I'm in the same boat here... good luck to all!

Did anyone else apply to Widener PsyD? Last year they notified people on Xmas eve!

I haven't heard from UCSB either. I applied to the Counseling program.

Wow did anyone else just have a heart attack from that Hofstra email? I applied to Hofstra, and just got their graduate studies newsletter in my inbox. However, when I saw "Hofstra" in my inbox, I got very excited...for nothing! UGH

Members don't see this ad :)
I received invitations for Clinical Psychology from
1) Fuller Theological Seminary on 12/16 via email for interview 1/14
2) University of Oregon on 12/18 via email from POI for interview 1/30

If you guys don't mind, I'm gonna start a new thread for announcing when we get interviews? We can ask question and post comments here, but let's have a new one where we just place about interviews so we can view it better.

Thanks guys and good luck!

If you guys don't mind, I'm gonna start a new thread for announcing when we get interviews? We can ask question and post comments here, but let's have a new one where we just place about interviews so we can view it better.

No need to start an entirely new thread. As with last year's thread, and this year's thread regarding internship interviews, keeping everything in one place is generally the easiest way.

long time reader. first time posting.

this forum has definitely helped me in the application process! a lot of great information. anyways, wanted to share some interview invitation information.

i've received two interview invites :D - both for counseling psychology. i'm really excited!

1. University of Wisconsin, Madison on dec 11th (yes a saturday!) through email from a faculty member. interview on january 14th.

2. Indiana University on december 17th through email from current doctoral student. interview dates on 1/27-1/28 or 2/3-2/4

good luck to everyone!!

long time reader. first time posting.

this forum has definitely helped me in the application process! a lot of great information. anyways, wanted to share some interview invitation information.

i've received two interview invites :D - both for counseling psychology. i'm really excited!

1. University of Wisconsin, Madison on dec 11th (yes a saturday!) through email from a faculty member. interview on january 14th.

2. Indiana University on december 17th through email from current doctoral student. interview dates on 1/27-1/28 or 2/3-2/4

good luck to everyone!!

Congratulations on the invites! That's awesome!

I am also doing Counseling Psych! I didn't get an interview at Madison (but I wasn't surprised since my statement/materials for Madison were weaker than some others I've applied to). Out of curiosity what other counseling programs have you applied to? I applied to like 20 programs haha. I'm getting nervous and thinking about applying to some more with January 1/15th deadlines!

I am not a fan of another thread. KEEP IT HERE.

I got a USC Clinical Psych invite today from the POI! Like the previous poster had said, they did mention that invites are on a rolling basis, and since I turned in my app around Nov, it may be a while before others begin hearing back.

I've been getting a number of emails from the various schools I've applied to, being like:

"Dear Me,
Congratulations!

Your application has been received. We look forward to reviewing it."

Bastards know EXACTLY what they're doing, and it's so sadistic!

Congrats on the USC invite!! What an accomplishment. Thanks for letting us know when you turned in your app.
About making a new thread-if we pm the moderator then he/she will post it and we can check the first page for a quick check and update of interview invite dates. The first page tells it all as long as we pm ;)

Hey,

Sorry, I'm a bit new to all of this. Who's the moderator that we should PM? and where is this first page that we are supposed to check (cause the first thread isn't updated...)

thanks guys!

Hey everyone! Recieved an invite today for clinical psychology phd program from POI.

Last edited:
Hey,

Sorry, I'm a bit new to all of this. Who's the moderator that we should PM? and where is this first page that we are supposed to check (cause the first thread isn't updated...)

thanks guys!

I am the moderator here, but the person you PM is whoever made the thread (post #1), as s/he will update the list as needed.

Congrats to all the people with recent invites! I just updated the list. Please remember that I can update it faster if you PM me the info.

Can I just say I am so nervous because I saw that someone got an invite to FSU and I applied to their clinical program :scared: I am hoping that the FSU invite someone PMed me about was for a different type of program! I can live in denial until I find out otherwise!

Congrats! How exciting :)

I just got an e-mail like this yesterday! I was so excited until I read further down and it said that people who are invited for interviews will be notified at a later time. Talk about a let down!

I've been getting a number of emails from the various schools I've applied to, being like:

"Dear Me,
Congratulations!

Your application has been received. We look forward to reviewing it."

Bastards know EXACTLY what they're doing, and it's so sadistic!

CONGRATS to everyone who has gotten invites!! and thanks for making the rest of us even more anxious... :laugh: luckily none of my schools have been posted yet!

Hey all,

Thought I’d try to lighten the very intense and anxious mood of this thread! Ha ha. I was checking these postings everyday last year waiting to see what schools I’d be invited too. I got my first invite from a prominent school in December and felt GREAT!!!!!!!! Well, no other invites came – and my interview with that school came and went and I did not get in….anywhere. It is definitely a crushing blow – but now a year later I landed at a great job doing research I LOVE! Before, grad school seemed exciting but like somewhat of a necessity. After this job, I know that I truly love research and can’t wait to go to grad school. In fact, I almost thought about not applying this year so that I could pursue my own research project that I am very excited about.
So today is December 21st, and it is the first time I’ve been on this site all year. I am not stressed, happy about where I ended up, hoping I get some interviews – but have some excellent research lined up if I don’t. My point being: I know it seems like the be all and end all right now, but believe me, if it does not work out this year, ya’ll have the potential for some GREAT things until it does. I would not have believed this last year if I read it, but I still hope it helps.
I even found a wonderful girlfriend, which might not have worked if I went away to school! J

My point being: I know it seems like the be all and end all right now, but believe me, if it does not work out this year, ya’ll have the potential for some GREAT things until it does.

True.

...Until it's your third time applying, and you've already worked in research 5 years, and you're married and want to get on with your life... I have reason to be anxious, particularly because even if I get in it could mean either making my husband leave his job to move with me or leave my husband, but I'm not anxious. I check this thread consistently with (peaceful?) numbness instead. I'm excited and scared intellectually, but I've taken myself off the ups and downs because this part is out of my hands. I'm also planning, however, what my life will be like if I don't get in again. <Sigh> Life is beautiful and complex.

Hi all,

If the lucky people who received invites from USC would feel comforable PMing me their POI I would GREATLY appreciate it. I'm dying to know if we have the same one!

True.

...Until it's your third time applying, and you've already worked in research 5 years, and you're married and want to get on with your life... I have reason to be anxious, particularly because even if I get in it could mean either making my husband leave his job to move with me or leave my husband, but I'm not anxious. I check this thread consistently with (peaceful?) numbness instead. I'm excited and scared intellectually, but I've taken myself off the ups and downs because this part is out of my hands. I'm also planning, however, what my life will be like if I don't get in again. <Sigh> Life is beautiful and complex.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you think has been your downfall? 5 years research seems like it would trump anything else

Hey all,

Thought I’d try to lighten the very intense and anxious mood of this thread! Ha ha. I was checking these postings everyday last year waiting to see what schools I’d be invited too. I got my first invite from a prominent school in December and felt GREAT!!!!!!!! Well, no other invites came – and my interview with that school came and went and I did not get in….anywhere. It is definitely a crushing blow – but now a year later I landed at a great job doing research I LOVE! Before, grad school seemed exciting but like somewhat of a necessity. After this job, I know that I truly love research and can’t wait to go to grad school. In fact, I almost thought about not applying this year so that I could pursue my own research project that I am very excited about.
So today is December 21st, and it is the first time I’ve been on this site all year. I am not stressed, happy about where I ended up, hoping I get some interviews – but have some excellent research lined up if I don’t. My point being: I know it seems like the be all and end all right now, but believe me, if it does not work out this year, ya’ll have the potential for some GREAT things until it does. I would not have believed this last year if I read it, but I still hope it helps.
I even found a wonderful girlfriend, which might not have worked if I went away to school! J

Thanks for the insight. I too am applying for the second time, and I am less anxious this year than last. I guess the crushing blow that comes with all rejections the first time sort of prepares you for anything :laugh: I have a great full time RA position right now that I wouldn't hate to stay at for another year... but I'd be a whole lot happier to get into school! :) I keep telling myself that while waiting a whole additional year might seem like forever right now, it's nothing in the scheme of things.

Hey,

thanks guys!
ClinChildPsy13
Hi,
No problem, happy you found it now with hopes of this thread providing a little relief. PM ClinChildPsy13 with your interview invite. Also, if you check the first page of the thread you will see that ClinChildPsy13 had updated interview invites to each school that he/she has been notified of. ClinChildPsy13 is doing a lot of work so its just that much easier if we PM the invites. Best of luck!!
H

If you don't mind me asking, what do you think has been your downfall? 5 years research seems like it would trump anything else

I don't think the term "downfall" is entirely appropriate, but the first time was straight out of undergrad (had 2 interviews out of 12 apps, no offers). The second time was last year, and I only applied to a couple local, very competitive schools (personal reasons; I knew it was a long shot, still devastating though b/c of the implications for my marriage).

Where you apply is one of the biggest factors, I think. Seeing the huge range of schools on here is great. Every cycle is different, too, from both the applicant and school perspective (competition, who is accepting students, etc). In my past interviews it came down to someone having a master's degree that I didn't, and someone having 7 years of clinical experience. Lots of people have lots of experience, it's certainly not the only factor.

This round I have a nicer GRE score, more pubs and presentations, experience from a bigger name school, more clinical experience, and I'm applying to more schools. It's been a rough stretch, but hopefully that will help. :xf: Best of luck to all of us! There are definitely, but unfortunately, more qualified clinical phd applicants with bold ambition than there are spots for us.

gah no. it's killing me. I emailed them and this is what i got back:

"[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Thank you for applying to the Counseling, Clinical, and School Psychology Department at UCSB.
. [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]
The majority of our interviews will take place Jan. 21 & 22nd. We are trying our best to let those invited for an interview know before the New Year. "

BLEH, I JUST WANT TO KNOWWWWWWWWWWWW

Sorry that worked out fo you that way Ginger, it must be stressful and I do not wish that on anyone. However, for the people whom this comment made nervous:

About the application process:
1. Getting in right out of undergrad is the exception to the rule, not the rule, so do not be discouraged if this occurs.
2. In my program's opinion, having 1 year of research experience is better than having 5 years of clinical experience (well not these specific numbers, but you get the point). The type of clinical work that you can do at a non-graduate level is fairly limited (and may even teach you bad habits that the program may not encourage). In addition PhD programs tend to focus on research, and indicating your research interest will lead to a better outcome. So if you don't have tons of clinical experience, but do have SOME research experience, you are fine. 9 times out of 10, the person with 1 year research experience will trump the person with 5 years clinical experience.

About going local
1. I only applied to local programs, and I got into a program (I am from the Northeast and some of those programs are super competitive, so do not be discouraged.) As long as there is a strong match there and you meet their credentials, the liklihood of at least getting an interview is fairly decent. Once you get to the interview stage be interested (e.g., ask tons of questions),and friendly and sweet but NOT chummy. I found it very off-putting when several of our applicants acted like they were my/ or my classmates friends. One even went as far as to pretend they understood one of our inside jokes, and even teased one of the upper level grad students. As long as you are likable, your shot of acceptance increases.

I don't think the term "downfall" is entirely appropriate, but the first time was straight out of undergrad (had 2 interviews out of 12 apps, no offers). The second time was last year, and I only applied to a couple local, very competitive schools (personal reasons; I knew it was a long shot, still devastating though b/c of the implications for my marriage).

Where you apply is one of the biggest factors, I think. Seeing the huge range of schools on here is great. Every cycle is different, too, from both the applicant and school perspective (competition, who is accepting students, etc). In my past interviews it came down to someone having a master's degree that I didn't, and someone having 7 years of clinical experience. Lots of people have lots of experience, it's certainly not the only factor.

This round I have a nicer GRE score, more pubs and presentations, experience from a bigger name school, more clinical experience, and I'm applying to more schools. It's been a rough stretch, but hopefully that will help. :xf: Best of luck to all of us! There are definitely, but unfortunately, more qualified clinical phd applicants with bold ambition than there are spots for us.

whoever sent the PM regarding FSU.. what program was the interview for?

What a great way of looking at things! I too have been much more relaxed about the whole PhD application process that last year because I have applied to more schools that better fit my interests, improved my GRE score, and found a research job that I love. Having options is definitely a plus! Good luck to you this year.

Hey all,

+1. Could stay at job, but REALLY want to get into Ph.D. program to pursue research!!

Thanks for the insight. I too am applying for the second time, and I am less anxious this year than last. I guess the crushing blow that comes with all rejections the first time sort of prepares you for anything :laugh: I have a great full time RA position right now that I wouldn't hate to stay at for another year... but I'd be a whole lot happier to get into school! :) I keep telling myself that while waiting a whole additional year might seem like forever right now, it's nothing in the scheme of things.

This is such a great point, particularly for new members. I have also read other posts where grad students say they are checking out posts for applicants to their school. One thing I never understood is how they have time to do this! Thanks for the reminder to monitor what personally identifying info/comments we post :)

Just something to think about, although this might sound sinister, it is pretty good advice, and something that I didn't really think about when I was applying.

Please be mindful of what you say about programs on this website (Especially programs that you make it explicitly clear that you are applying to). It is actually too easy to figure out who some of you are, especially if you get interview invites. I figured out who at least 4 people were last year that interviewed at my program, and some of their comments before and after interviews did influence what was thought about the applicant (e.g., are they likely to come here, are they in it for the long haul, do they just want to get in for clinical work and don't really care about research). Students in my program also figured out who I was as well, but luckily I had said fairly neutral things.

I noticed some comments about my program in particular, that were not neccessarily negative, but which could speak to the liklihood of an applicant attending, which may increase your chance of rejection .I especially want to urge you to be sure that everything you say here is something you would be alright with graduate students or faculty seeing, and knowing it was coming from you.

This advice comes from a good place, as it would be really crappy to have a comment that you said on a e-forum influence your application. Good luck all.

Hmmm.. I am going to choose to take what you said as friendly, and not as condescending, which is kind of how it came off. As you can see from my posting history, I never post. I am only posting now seeing as it is christmas break and I finally have a break from this overwhelming life. When we have our very shortlived breaks, i typically spend mine with friends and family, but alas I am babysitting my sister's daughter.

But, it's not so much about time, as it is about interest in your program. I particularly take time to check out applicants because I have a vested interest in who is in my lab. We have a very good vibe in my lab, and adding anyone that would be a drama queen, super competitive, or just not wanting to be there would ruin it. These are the people I am going to be friends with, who I will be colleagues with, and who will potentially help run my dissertation. So I for one take every opportunity to find bad seeds. It's actually incredibly easy to find anyone posting about your program (or anything for that matter). You type in your schools name in the "search this forum" option and check "show posts." voila.
This is such a great point, particularly for new members. I have also read other posts where grad students say they are checking out posts for applicants to their school. One thing I never understood is how they have time to do this! Thanks for the reminder to monitor what personally identifying info/comments we post :)

I meant that as a sincere thank you for the reminder. Sorry if it came off as condescending. Just something I had always wondered about but your reasoning makes sense. Hope you have a nice break.

Hmmm.. I am going to choose to take what you said as friendly, and not as condescending, which is kind of how it came off. As you can see from my posting history, I never post. I am only posting now seeing as it is christmas break and I finally have a break from this overwhelming life. When we have our very shortlived breaks, i typically spend mine with friends and family, but alas I am babysitting my sister's daughter.

But, it's not so much about time, as it is about interest in your program. I particularly take time to check out applicants because I have a vested interest in who is in my lab. We have a very good vibe in my lab, and adding anyone that would be a drama queen, super competitive, or just not wanting to be there would ruin it. These are the people I am going to be friends with, who I will be colleagues with, and who will potentially help run my dissertation. So I for one take every opportunity to find bad seeds. It's actually incredibly easy to find anyone posting about your program (or anything for that matter). You type in your schools name in the "search this forum" option and check "show posts." voila.