2010-2011 UMDNJ-NJMS Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interviewed here yesterday. Very conversational and relaxed interview, but was a full hour as interview feedback suggests. Be ready for some US healthcare or indigent populations questions.

Seems like a good urban hospital system and overall a good system to learn medicine. Curriculum is supposedly an exact copy of HMS, which is what my interviewer told me. I only wish they didn't have grades in the pre-clinical years, just seems to add unnecessary stress since I don't think med students need motivation to learn. But the environment is still supposedly non-competitive and very cooperative, but there will always be some gunners where grades and class rank exist.

Members don't see this ad.

For those of you who were offered student interviews, did you take advantage of it? If so, what was the general format/feel of it? Do you think it reflects badly on you if you choose not to accept a student interview?

Interviewed here yesterday. Very conversational and relaxed interview, but was a full hour as interview feedback suggests. Be ready for some US healthcare or indigent populations questions.

Seems like a good urban hospital system and overall a good system to learn medicine. Curriculum is supposedly an exact copy of HMS, which is what my interviewer told me. I only wish they didn't have grades in the pre-clinical years, just seems to add unnecessary stress since I don't think med students need motivation to learn. But the environment is still supposedly non-competitive and very cooperative, but there will always be some gunners where grades and class rank exist.

I may be wrong here, but I recall hearing one of the student tour guides saying the class rank exists but is not released. Hopefully, someone can clear this up.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think he basically said you don't know your ranking as you go. But this is no different than a ranked high school class; we didn't find out then until end of junior year. Eventually, they write up a report that shows all of your preclinical grades and probably where you stand in the class. In most P/F schools, no report is given at all really for pre-clinical years, which lets you just focus on learning your way.

As far as the student interview, I don't see any reason you would not want to take advantage of a student interview. The students are really nice about it and are usually helpful in that you can ask them a lot of questions. I can't imagine a student interview really ruining your chances if you were able to do well in a faculty interview.

I think he basically said you don't know your ranking as you go. But this is no different than a ranked high school class; we didn't find out then until end of junior year. Eventually, they write up a report that shows all of your preclinical grades and probably where you stand in the class. In most P/F schools, no report is given at all really for pre-clinical years, which lets you just focus on learning your way.

As far as the student interview, I don't see any reason you would not want to take advantage of a student interview. The students are really nice about it and are usually helpful in that you can ask them a lot of questions. I can't imagine a student interview really ruining your chances if you were able to do well in a faculty interview.

hmmm it would be nice to see it as you go; although this is better than the schools that completely withold ranking.

I got an interview here in August, and now am being called back for a second interview. Anyone know what's going on?

Same thing happened to me last year, but much later in the cycle (the end of January). Most likely your first interviewer had some reservations but your stats/application as a whole is making the committee want to take a second look.

You need to KILL this interview. Prepare a lot and go in extremely relaxed and confident.

Don't put to much pressure on yourself, since that will be counterproductive. I would opt for a student interviewer if they give you a chance this time around, most likely will just get you more face time.

Don't put to much pressure on yourself, since that will be counterproductive. I would opt for a student interviewer if they give you a chance this time around, most likely will just get you more face time.

I agree. Don't put any unnecessary pressure on yourself, but be on top of your game. Although I believe, having experienced this before, is that if the committee is taking a second look they will be more likely to give you an interviewer actually on committee. Just do your best to shine as much as possible. :)

Last edited:
I interviewed in early Sept. and heard that decisions would start going out Oct 15. Has anyone has heard back already from the Aug interview dates? And, would an earlier interview date help get an acceptance? Silly questions; but, I've just been really anxious lately.

I believe that October 15th is the first date that schools can notify regular decision applicants, regardless of an August or September interview. Your chances are better earlier in the cycle (there is no difference between August and September - both are extremely early in the cycle) as there are more seats open - note that this is only true for schools with rolling admission (most of them). I interviewed in mid-September and am also anxiously awaiting decisions... good luck!

Looks like last year someone interviewing as far back as October 1st heard back around October 17th. Then the first week into October people heard back about 10 days later.

Does anyone know how we hear back? Phone/email/mail ??

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the dean personally calls most, if not all of the acceptees (not sure if it i everyone since that is a lot of calls). And then the snail mail comes later.

Hey guys, my interview is next Monday. Do you guys who have had your interviews have any specific advise?

I don't have any really specific advice - just be yourself, and be able to talk about the various things you've done (aka, all of your extra-curriculars).

Oh, actually, there is probably going to be a question about healthcare - you will likely have to comment on it however you want. Newark might be brought up as well. Not a terribly stressful interview by any means.

Good luck!

What obliquity says seems to be pretty much the norm. If you have some specific experience with indigent populations, then make sure you can highlight that.

Hey guys, my interview is next Monday. Do you guys who have had your interviews have any specific advise?

Look back at the previous pages of this thread. There are only two of them and they have info about this.

The interview is very low key, and make sure you know something about current state of healthcare/newark.

My interview is in the beginning of November. Thanks to all for the tip on knowing more about Newark/healthcare. The extent of my knowledge about Newark is that I've been to the Prudential center for Devils games.

Hi guys,
I was in your shoes last year, wondering if I would get a call from the dean personally; turns out, I did get the call. Let me assure you that no one gets in without talking to Dean Heinrich, so yes, he does call each and everyone personally.
Also, dont lose hope if you dont get a call by the evening, he has called people as late as 10pm.
I hope this helps calm some of you guys' nerves.
Good luck!

What happens if we're in another interview tomorrow and can't pick up?
Does he leave a message saying: We'll, ***, we were going to accept you but since you didn't have the courtesy to pick up, I guess we'll have to reject you after all!

JK about rejection, but yeah, what does Dr. Heinrich do then? Do you call back afterward?

I am guessing it will be a restricted number and he will leave a message? Maybe.

haha you wont be rejected if u dont pick up dont worry. I dont know abt him leaving voicemail, i guess he will call back??
And when I got the call, it wasnt a restricted number.

Yeah you can get excited when you see a 973 xxx xxxx haha
I heard the call comes from a private number.

btw, is it a good idea to call the admissions office tomorrow morning to ask them about their decision and your outcome? I interviewed early september and I really won't be able to hold out from the suspense over the weekend.

I don't get the AAMC standard - do they say schools can call after tomorrow? or starting at 12 AM Friday? As in 2 hours from now?

BTW, i would wait for that call.

hope people get some rest, tomorrow might be a big day for some
best wishes to everyone

Since I had my interview mid-september, is it possible that tomorrow I (if accepted) will get a phone call? Lol, how many people is going to call? Everyone from August interview to the end of September? lol

I think he may do it over a few days. I wouldn't call, remember they probably interviewed 20 something people per week or more and they all are anxious to hear their decision. Good luck to all you Aug/Septemberers, even though I hope they decide to save many spots for us October guys.

Hey Guys,

I am pulling for you all to get in for 2015. I was accepted this cycle early decision back in August. A couple points...

1) Do not call them! I actually did call them to see the "status" of my application. It was a Monday and according to my interviewer I should have gone to committee the previous week. The lady in the office told me that you "have not gone to committee yet and that my interviewer shouldn't have told me that." I got the phone call from Dean Heinrich two hours later. :)

2) To answer one of the above poster's questions, some schools do accept student's on midnight of October 15th, although by email and not phone calls as far as I know. NJMS is not one of them - you generally cannot be accepted except without talking to the dean personally.

3) If you go to Rutgers-New Brunswick, I know that the AMSA club hosts Dean Heinrich for a pre-Med info session and Q and A always right after the 15th. He is known for giving in-person acceptances at this info session to RU students. This year its scheduled for October 19th, but I'm not positive if they plan on doing it this way again. Sure its exciting to get accepted in person in front of everyone, but I know some people have also been disappointed when there name has not been called. Anyway, if that is the case, you probably will not be getting a phone call in the next few days. But you should probably make sure you go on the 19th. It will help to meet with him again if you application actually is in a limbo (i.e. no decision yet).

This is what I know from my experience with the school. I look forward to seeing you guys at the accepted students day in January! :xf:

Thanks a lot for your input Scarlet.
So I guess that if you are accepted, the only way you will get your acceptance packet in the mail is after speaking to the dean either today or early next week?

From last years thread it looks like he makes calls on Saturday too.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

We may not be hearing today, as per AAMC's recommendation.

From AAMC's website (and echoed in other threads):

AAMC.org said:
Each school notify all applicants - other than Combined College/M.D., Early Decision Program (EDP), and deferred matriculation applicants - of acceptance to medical school only after October 15 of each admission cycle.

http://www.aamc.org/students/applying/policies/admissionofficers.htm

Don't know what the difference between a "recommendation" and a rule is, but other schools have seem to be violating it so far (U. Mich).

I just called NJMS
The lady said they're going to start notifying tomorrow, so yeah, I guess Dr. Heinrich is going to start calling tomorrow. Good luck to everyone!

We may not be hearing today, as per AAMC's recommendation.

From AAMC's website (and echoed in other threads):

http://www.aamc.org/students/applying/policies/admissionofficers.htm

Don't know what the difference between a "recommendation" and a rule is, but other schools have seem to be violating it so far (U. Mich).

On the Jefferson thread, it seems they are violating it as well (apparently NJMS did start calling on the 15th last year... did the AAMC change it this year?) *Nervous fidgeting*... hope NJMS comes through for me (and all the other hopefuls here). Good luck everyone!

Thanks a lot for your input Scarlet.
So I guess that if you are accepted, the only way you will get your acceptance packet in the mail is after speaking to the dean either today or early next week?

Yup, I'm pretty sure they hold the packet until you get a call from Dean Heinrich.

I interviewed 9/14. I was watching TV and just looked at my cell phone and there was a missed call at around 9 pm from an unknown number. Did people last year get a restricted number? I don't know if it's wishful thinking, but I really hope that was Dean Heinrich.

I interviewed on 9/14 as well.
Dean Heinrich does call from a private number, however NJMS said he wouldn't start calling until 10/16. And estimating from last year's thread, I don't think we will get the call until Saturday night or Sunday evening. Maybe even into Monday.

I interviewed 9/21 and I am so nervous. I really want to hear this weekend, do you think there is a chance I might or is that a late interview to hear so early?

Just got the call from Dr. Heinrich!!! :soexcited: :soexcited:

I am IS, interviewed on 8/13, 32Q, cGPA 3.9, sGPA 3.9.

Just got the call from Dr. Heinrich!!! :soexcited: :soexcited:

I am IS, interviewed on 8/13, 32Q, cGPA 3.9, sGPA 3.9.
congrats! It seems like the phone calls have now started
Do you remember who your interviewer was?

She's on the committee, so that's a good person to go to bat for you!

Good luck to everyone else!

ACCEPTED!!

Interviewed 8/31 with Dr. Sapru.

Good luck to everyone who's waiting for the call! It's well worth the wait!

Status
Not open for further replies.