2010-2011 UMDNJ-NJMS Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That could be just their way of pressuring you to really explain why you want and need an MD/PhD. I think the schools must be under some pressure to select the right MD/PhD candidates who are not just looking for a freebie to years of medical school or whatever you get if you decide to drop out of the PhD end. It's not too hard to say research research research and then say you changed your mind if there is no consequence.

Yea, it was a very strange interview. It wasn't like my interviewer said I think you don't need a PhD to do research why do you think you need one? I don't want to get too in detail about the specifics but my interviewer just told me a really long anecdote about how his friend did an MD/PhD and wasted so many extra years in school and then now only does clinical work while he finished his MD faster and now does better research than his friend. Didn't quite know what to say to that and there wasn't much of a question in it either. I guess I am actually pretty happy to have a second chance and hopefully get an interviewer I connect with.

Members don't see this ad.

I guess no calls went out this weekend? Seems like the last calls went out on around the 18th, almost two weeks ago.

I got my call tonight at about 5pm! I am so pumped to have been accepted, absolutely one of my top choices

Interviewed 9/27

Good luck to everyone else

Members don't see this ad :)
I got my call tonight at about 5pm! I am so pumped to have been accepted, absolutely one of my top choices

Interviewed 9/27

Good luck to everyone else

Grats, dude!

Last edited:
I'd like to know that as well. No one from october has posted anything yet. And I think only 1 post since the first week of acceptances on the 16th-18th of October.

Just got the call. Interviewed 10/5. First acceptance, reapplicant. Pheeew.

congratulations! can you post stats please, also in state or out of state. thanks

Got the call Sunday night at around 9:30 pm eastern time. Interviewed on 10/7 as well

Members don't see this ad :)
I also have a wait... int 10/27
CONGRATS to everyone else!

Is the call from a restricted number? Got a call last night, but I missed it.

Congrats everyone... interviewed 11/2... still have some time to wait :cool:

My phone said the number was blocked. I missed the call last night too, but Dean Heinrich left a message on my voicemail telling me to call him back.

Do we wait for a packet in the mail before we send our deposit?

Last edited:
My phone said the number was blocked. I missed the call last night too, but Dean Heinrich left a message on my voicemail telling me to call him back.

Do we wait for a packet in the mail before we send our deposit?

Yea packet come with several forms to send in with the deposit.

Anyone going to the accepted students breakfast next week?

I cant make accepted student breakfast unfort - cant take the time off work.

Sounds pretty cool tho

anyone know what time we have to be there for the breakfast? i want to book my train asap

So how long does it generally take for a decision to be made? I forgot to ask on my interview day :(

At my interview, I heard 4-6 weeks and 6-8 weeks from the admissions people so I would guesstimate 4-8 weeks.

Interview was very relaxed and conversational, almost as if they were trying to sell the school on me. Lots of time for me to ask questions, not so many questions about my application.

Doubt we'll hear anything until mid-December.

Did anyone else get the e-mail about not receiving your 2 forms of IDs at the interview? I brought my 2 forms, but I guess they just forgot to ask me for them.

Do you think that it means they want to accept me and need the IDs or is it probably just protocol that they need everyone's IDs?

I'm trying to find any assurance I can haha

I just recieved a second interview...

"On occasion, the admissions committee would like more information from the candidate as it relates to medical school and this information was not captured during the first interview."

does anyone know anything about this??

"On occasion, the admissions committee would like more information from the candidate as it relates to medical school and this information was not captured during the first interview."

My friend actually had a second interview and he said that it was basically them asking some of the same questions and some new questions they had that came up during the adcom meeting that perhaps they wanted to be answered before making the committment of accepting you. But he got in so don't take it as a bad sign :).

When did you interview if I may ask?

Regarding the breakfast, do you guys know if they invite everyone who has been accepted so far? One of my cousins got accepted through EDP back in August but hasn't received anything yet. lol, he doesn't wanna call them up and be like "can I has brekfast plssss?"

Honestly, it might be to convince accepted studets to attend. Sort of like, ah yes, here at NJMS we invite our students to breakfast! Think of what a fine education you will receive at this school!

EDP = no convincing needed

(I could be 100% wrong, but just a thought ;))

I got accepted EDP but never got anything about this breakfast.

My friend actually had a second interview and he said that it was basically them asking some of the same questions and some new questions they had that came up during the adcom meeting that perhaps they wanted to be answered before making the committment of accepting you. But he got in so don't take it as a bad sign :).

When did you interview if I may ask?

good to hear.

I interviewed on 10/25.

Same thing happened to me. I had one initial interview, and apparently the interviewer really liked me, then I got a second 'stress' interview weeks later and was rejected.

I guess my advice would be to be prepared and not give them a reason to reject you.

Same thing happened to me. I had one initial interview, and apparently the interviewer really liked me, then I got a second 'stress' interview weeks later and was rejected.

I guess my advice would be to be prepared and not give them a reason to reject you.

Just to get a perspective on the other side of the situation.... What type of questions were you asked on this "stress" interview?

Btw did anyone here do the student interview?

I did the student interview. It was ok, not great - I've been out of school for a while, so when they asked questions about transitioning from undergraduate life to graduate life, i was lile "uhhhhh it won't be a problem..."

But the girl was really nice - just didnt think about some of the questions before she read them

did the student interview- she was really nice but i didn't connect with her as much as i would have hoped because she was a super non-traditional applicant. however, she gave me a tour of the school afterwards which was cool. the student interview isn't stressful at all- its just a good opportunity to get out all of your questions about the curriculum and student life

anyone have an idea about attire for the breakfast?

did the student interview- she was really nice but i didn't connect with her as much as i would have hoped because she was a super non-traditional applicant. however, she gave me a tour of the school afterwards which was cool. the student interview isn't stressful at all- its just a good opportunity to get out all of your questions about the curriculum and student life

anyone have an idea about attire for the breakfast?

I emailed them and they said "There's no official 'dress code' but business casual is always a safe bet." So perhaps not something you'd wear to an interview, but not jeans either. Just something that looks crisp.

they told you it was going to be a 'stress' interview?

I was wondering if anyone heard over the weekend. I interviewed on the 25th of October. Last I checked the forums, they were up to the week before mine on interviews.

I was wondering if anyone heard over the weekend. I interviewed on the 25th of October. Last I checked the forums, they were up to the week before mine on interviews.

Well, I interviewed first on Aug 29, then they called me for a second interview on November 2. Dr. Heinrich called me late last night to grant me an acceptance.

Well, I interviewed first on Aug 29, then they called me for a second interview on November 2. Dr. Heinrich called me late last night to grant me an acceptance.

congrats dude.

I have a second interview too... was it any different than the first??? did they give you a reason why the called you back for another one??

Yayyyy congrats! I interviewed on the 1st so maybe they'll tell me soon. (wishful thinking :/)

anyone else who got accepted last weekend not get a packet yet?

I'm so glued to my phone right now. I hope they are still making phone calls this week despite the holiday coming up ::fingers crossed:: I interviewed on 10/27 so it seems like this might be the earliest I'd hear back. If anyone interviewed that week as well, let us know if you get any news!

Status
Not open for further replies.