2010-2011 UMDNJ-NJMS Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
congrats dude.

I have a second interview too... was it any different than the first??? did they give you a reason why the called you back for another one??

Thanks.

When I got the email for a second interview, my theory was that my first interviewer had given me a bad review, but since everything else on my application was good, they wanted to get a second opinion (unlike every other school i have interviewed at, NJMS only has one person, increasing the chance of bias considerably). However, now I think otherwise. The second interview was not a repeat of the first one--they did not ask the same questions at all, nor any of the normal questions (such as why you want to be a doctor, why this school, etc.).

Nevertheless, the questions they asked me were really personal, and I don't think my interviewer had a right to ask some of those questions. They fell in the category of those questions that are technically disallowed to ask, but what are you supposed to tell your interviewer--that I refuse to answer the question? A lot of the questions were about my family, whose relevance to my medical school application I just cannot see. Overall, I was not as impressed by the school's attitude--I might think differently if this were my only option, but I have a lot of options right now, so it was not a big deal when I got the call. Perhaps my experiences were singular. Other people might say otherwise.

Members don't see this ad.

W00t! Interviewed on Oct. 25th, got the call about an hour ago.
Just to let you all know, I come from a powerful family of leather workers and tanners...so I know my anatomy.
Definitely coming to this school. See you all at the breakfast!
lol, congrats! Looking forward to seeing you there, haha.
I can imagine how your personal statement started: "I was skinning a dead buffalo for its skin once, when I realized...I want to be a doctor. And from that moment..."

I wish my family was as interesting.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got a phonecall from Dr. Heinrich!!! SOOOO HAPPYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!

IS, 34s, 3.3GPA

Interview 10.28

Congrats everyone. See you all at the breakfast. Yumm free food. I wish it was a lunch though, I can't eat that much in the morning. Gotta get my (gas)money's worth you know?

So I had my interview 10/18 and haven't heard anything yet, and I see that a few people with later interviews have already gotten the call. Does that mean they didn't accept me or is it usually out of order and it doesn't really mean anything at all that people with later interviews have been accepted?

So I had my interview 10/18 and haven't heard anything yet, and I see that a few people with later interviews have already gotten the call. Does that mean they didn't accept me or is it usually out of order and it doesn't really mean anything at all that people with later interviews have been accepted?

You're never rejected until they tell you so!

I wouldn't worry. I heard earlier than I should have, Dr. H told me that my interviewer just really pushed for me. And anecdotal-y from lots of other med students I speak too, they've heard months later from friends who interviewed on the same day and still got in; it's all kind of random.

Most of us on here I think heard in about 3-5 weeks pots interview. A select few earlier than that because of some unique situation. Calls seem to be going out mostly Sunday to Monday nights, so wait until a week from today to start worrying about being passed over. I think you will get some kind of mail correspondence soon after that if you were not accepted outright.

Most of us on here I think heard in about 3-5 weeks pots interview. A select few earlier than that because of some unique situation. Calls seem to be going out mostly Sunday to Monday nights, so wait until a week from today to start worrying about being passed over. I think you will get some kind of mail correspondence soon after that if you were not accepted outright.

Yeah so it's already Tuesday so I doubt they'll be making anymore calls till sunday or monday. I've seen people from last year's thread who had interviews in september or october and didn't find out till december or january. Does anyone know of any people who had interviews in sept-oct and didn't get accepted?

Btw what's the dress code for tomorrow's breakfast? Tie needed? Business casual?

I asked this when I RSVPed... they said no dress code, business casual if you so desire. A nice sweater or button-down and a good pair of pants might do the trick...

Members don't see this ad :)
howd it go this morning? Was it worth it? informative?

I wish i could have gone.

Yeah, sorry guys I got there kinda late. Couldn't yell out FLASH or the entire room would be like who the heck is this weirdo?

I'm glad I got to meet some people today though. Seems like NJMS would be pretty chill.

How long did it take you guys who were accepted from interview to acceptance? At my interview, I heard 4-6 weeks and 6-8 weeks so I'm trying to get an idea of what the average wait is like

How long did it take you guys who were accepted from interview to acceptance? At my interview, I heard 4-6 weeks and 6-8 weeks so I'm trying to get an idea of what the average wait is like

I heard 3 1/2 weeks after my interview.

It's been a while for me. Not sure whether to take it as a rejection/waitlist as I haven't recieved one and as far as I know, no decision has been made yet. Still hoping I get into this awesome school.

I say send an email to the admissions office. I interviewed on 10/27 and basically got antsy once I noticed people who interviewed during the same week were getting phone calls. Basically, the same evening I sent the email, Dr. Henrich called me and delivered the good news. (This was a Tuesday night, not the typical Sunday or Monday that everyone here has been reporting). I feel as though he might have a pile of applications on his desk and tries to contact a certain number of people each week.. maybe you were lost in the pile if it's been more than 6 weeks.

Just shoot them a polite email and I'm sure they will relay the message.

Well I would except I've recently called and the admissions staff said no decision has been made and to give it a couple more weeks so i'll give it a bit more time before I shoot them an email.

Just got the phone call :laugh:... Waited exactly 4 weeks! Definitely worth the wait

I interviewed on the 1st.... still waiting :oops:

I'm hoping those of us who interviewed early November will hear before the holiday season. It would be a nice present.

So anyone from the first week of nov. hear anything?

Interviewed Nov 8, nothing here. Got my first acceptance today though so it's all good.:D

Yay! I have an acceptance too but this is my state school so :xf::xf::xf::xf:

My interview was Nov. 2nd and I found out last tuesday... hope that helps!

My interview was Nov. 2nd and I found out last tuesday... hope that helps!

I actually just got the call like 20 minutes ago. Yay for instate love.

Got the call dec 2!! does anyone know how long it takes to receive the packet? i need to see it to believe it lol

hey i'm assuming you got your packet by now right? how long did it take?

i was accepted a week before thanksgiving and actually never got a packet. it took some phone calls to get a copy sent to me.

they say you should get it in about a week of your call

We interviewed the same day. I guess I got passed over then. Oh well, with an OOS acceptance rate of 5%, I didnt have much of a chance.

We interviewed the same day. I guess I got passed over then. Oh well, with an OOS acceptance rate of 5%, I didnt have much of a chance.

I interviewed October 18th and still have not heard anything, neither an acceptance or waitlist. I called about a week ago and they said a decision still was not made.

I didn't hand in my IDs till a few weeks ago though so I'm hoping that may be the reason why my decision is taking so long.

However, I have heard and read on the previous years' threads that people have interview in Oct-Nov and did not find out till December or January so I would not give up hope yet. I'm getting nervous too but I still am holding on to a thread of hope haha.

I wouldn't count yourself out just yet. He probably spaces the calls out over the week and if your interviewer was delayed or something then it might be a week or two longer before your app gets its final review. And although total OOS acceptance is about 5%, its actually greater than %50 post-interview. According to my 2010-2011 MSAR they received 3032 OOS applications and gave out 23 interviews (<1%). Of the 23 interviewed, 9 matriculated (40%). Assuming that some of those accepted eventually declined, you're looking at >50% chance.

I wouldn't count yourself out just yet. He probably spaces the calls out over the week and if your interviewer was delayed or something then it might be a week or two longer before your app gets its final review. And although total OOS acceptance is about 5%, its actually greater than %50 post-interview. According to my 2010-2011 MSAR they received 3032 OOS applications and gave out 23 interviews (<1%). Of the 23 interviewed, 9 matriculated (40%). Assuming that some of those accepted eventually declined, you're looking at >50% chance.

Alright thanks. It looks like I'm still in the running. And 23 interviews from 3032 applications? :eek:. Those are some serious odds. Well, heres to hoping:luck:

accepted! :) i interviewed 11/12 and got the call monday. good luck everyone else; i know how much the waiting sucks. i was a re-applicant from last year.

Got the invite tot he accepted student lucheon on Jan. 7th today. Registration asks for a login, does anyone have any idea when we were given a username and password? I didn't see one in the acceptance packet.

hey guys i'm in a post-bacc program now and was planning on NOT attending next semester because it would just be waste of money. do you think njms expects me to finish the program? should i call? any insights would help, thanks

I would guess you don't have to finish because they accepted you before seeing any postbacc grades. I would call and check with them though, just tell them your plans have changed and would it affect your status. But you probably should tell them what you will be doing instead, or are you planning on doing nothing for 8 months?

yeah well i was gonna try and work, make a couple bucks before school starts and yeah chill, relax the brain.

hey guys i'm in a post-bacc program now and was planning on NOT attending next semester because it would just be waste of money. do you think njms expects me to finish the program? should i call? any insights would help, thanks

What classes would you be taking next semester? Are they pre-med required or just additional stuff? If you've finished all the required course work, I don't think NJMS will mind, though you should probably call just to confirm.

no theyre not prereqs, i'm taking first year medical classes...physiology, immunology, neuro

Got the invite tot he accepted student lucheon on Jan. 7th today. Registration asks for a login, does anyone have any idea when we were given a username and password? I didn't see one in the acceptance packet.
There wasnt anything in my packet either - not sure what they looking for. Is it not AMCAS ID#?

There wasnt anything in my packet either - not sure what they looking for. Is it not AMCAS ID#?

I tried that, but you need both a username and password. When I scheduled my interview, it just asked for my AMCAS ID#.

Yah I don't know then - there wasn't anything in my packet, i'll call in a few days and find out what the deal is if someone here hasnt already

Status
Not open for further replies.