2010-2011 University of Buffalo (SUNY) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So has anyone started a facebook group or anything yet? If not, I think that would be really helpful for us all to have! This way people can talk about housing options and all that. Anyone know some people going to UB next year and want to start it?

Members don't see this ad.

So has anyone started a facebook group or anything yet? If not, I think that would be really helpful for us all to have! This way people can talk about housing options and all that. Anyone know some people going to UB next year and want to start it?

I've seen Facebook groups for classes of previous years on there. I think it's a good idea, and would absolutely join the group, since I'm practically 100% set on matriculating at UB.

Here is the Class of 2014 group:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=108844319148329

Last edited:
Congrats to anyone who got into Buffalo! I am a third year here, and can recommend a great apartment complex for housing that I have lived in all 3 years. Send me a message if you are interested in the details!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an interview invite for this Wednesday! Does Buffalo do student hosts for interviews? Where is a good place to stay? And what's the best way to get to campus from the amtrak station? Thanks to anyone who can answer. I am quickly trying to plan my trip!

Just got an interview invite for this Wednesday! Does Buffalo do student hosts for interviews? Where is a good place to stay? And what's the best way to get to campus from the amtrak station? Thanks to anyone who can answer. I am quickly trying to plan my trip!

Hey, congrats on the quick invite! It was probably to fill a cancellation.

Are you getting off at the Buffalo-Depew Amtrak Station? That is in Cheektowaga, near the Buffalo airport.

Airport Taxi has a location in the Buffalo Amtrak station. Here's a link to their site:

http://www.buffaloairporttaxi.com/

That will get you from the train station to your hotel.

The Buffalo Marriott on Millersport Hwy might be pretty decent. It's not far from the school (short bus ride), and probably isn't too expensive.

If you need to travel by bus, here is the site for that:

http://www.nfta.com/metro/

Make sure you go to the UB South Campus (where the medical school is located), and not the North Campus.

http://www.buffalo.edu/buildings/maps/SouthCampus.pdf

The Biomedical Education Building is number 21 on the map. If you travel by bus, you will most likely get off where it says "NFTA bus loop".

Hope some of that helps. Good luck!:luck:

Reactions: 1 user
Hey does anyone know up until what time they're going to be reviewing files today? I'm under the assumption that this is the last day they review them and if they dont' offer an interview it means rejection. My status is currently NO ACTION.

Hey does anyone know up until what time they're going to be reviewing files today? I'm under the assumption that this is the last day they review them and if they dont' offer an interview it means rejection. My status is currently NO ACTION.

I called a while ago and they told me that today was the last day...but I called again today, and they told me that they'd be giving out interview invitations until mid-April, and that today is not the last possible day for interview invitations. This conflicting information is fairly confusing...perhaps someone else is willing to call and get a second opinion?

EDIT: I, also, am part of the NO ACTION club as of the last time I checked my status

I called a while ago and they told me that today was the last day...but I called again today, and they told me that they'd be giving out interview invitations until mid-April, and that today is not the last possible day for interview invitations. This conflicting information is fairly confusing...perhaps someone else is willing to call and get a second opinion?

Hey, I remember you from the FAU thread!

If that's what they said on the phone, then I'm sure it wouldn't be wrong.

Maybe they decided very recently that they didn't invite enough applicants this year, and need to invite more.

Good luck, maybe you will get an invite soon! :luck: :xf:

Just got an interview invite today.. don't plan on going, hope the invite goes to someone else :)

Hey, I remember you from the FAU thread!

If that's what they said on the phone, then I'm sure it wouldn't be wrong.

Maybe they decided very recently that they didn't invite enough applicants this year, and need to invite more.

Good luck, maybe you will get an invite soon! :luck: :xf:

Thanks! I sure hope I will! I also hope they'll be adding more interview dates then, if that's the case :D More dates = more hope!

Congrats again on your acceptance!

Non-Accept.
I hate you, Buffalo, I hope you get 50 feet of snow this winter, and it never melts, grinding your school to a standstill for the entire winter.

Getting no love from my state schools despite dominating my MS program (Wish I had known it was for minority applicants before I enrolled!) They'll get spots there, though.

Also got "Non-accept"... that's a nice euphemism for "rejected" :laugh:

Just waiting for my remaining schools to hurry up and reject me already. I'm good with my 1 acceptance :).

Members don't see this ad :)
"Non-Accept". All I can do is laugh at that.

masterwolfie, I LOVE your avatar and title! I was Brave Sir Robin for Halloween once; more people should watch Monty Python. :laugh:

Sorry to hear about your statuses guys. Good luck and I hope everything works out. :luck:

Non-Accept.
I hate you, Buffalo, I hope you get 50 feet of snow this winter, and it never melts, grinding your school to a standstill for the entire winter.

Lol, It literally snowed a couple inches here the other day (snow in April, wtf?).

Good luck to you, and I hope you get in somewhere!

Also got "Non-accept"... that's a nice euphemism for "rejected" :laugh:

Just waiting for my remaining schools to hurry up and reject me already. I'm good with my 1 acceptance :).

Too bad we can't be classmates, since you seem really nice! It's not like you would turn down your dream school anyway. :laugh:

Darn...non-accept here, too : \

Hey, sorry to hear. I was really hoping you would get an invite too. I'm sure another school will work out, don't worry!

"Non-Accept". All I can do is laugh at that.

Yeah, UB must be the only school that words it that way. Good luck with the other schools you are waiting for!

Too bad we can't be classmates, since you seem really nice! It's not like you would turn down your dream school anyway. :laugh:

It's funny, that's what I was thinking too! :love: Too bad you didn't apply to UCI! Well... there's always residency ;).

just got my acceptance letter off of the waitlist today .. Just wanted to let you guys waiting for news know that there is movement happening.

just got my acceptance letter off of the waitlist today .. Just wanted to let you guys waiting for news know that there is movement happening.

Hey congrats!

If this is your first acceptance, it must be a huge relief. :)

When did you interview?

Last edited:
Hey congrats!

If this is your first acceptance, it must be a huge relief. :)

When did you interview?

I interviewed back in September.. I am waiting for financial info but I'm not sure I'm going to end up here since I have a few others, but we'll see! Maxwell, man, congratulations I have seen you around the threads and I'm happy for you that you got into your first choice. I've grown up in Upstate NY so I'm kind of ready to try something new for awhile.. I do like Buffalo though and I love the bills so if I don't end up here I'll still be visiting the area.

I interviewed back in September.. I am waiting for financial info but I'm not sure I'm going to end up here since I have a few others, but we'll see! Maxwell, man, congratulations I have seen you around the threads and I'm happy for you that you got into your first choice. I've grown up in Upstate NY so I'm kind of ready to try something new for awhile.. I do like Buffalo though and I love the bills so if I don't end up here I'll still be visiting the area.

Cool. I'm much more of a Sabres fan (they made the playoffs :D), but I like the Bills.

I'll add you to the waitlist thread in the accepted group. If you withdraw, just let us know.

To current medical students--

Where are good places to live?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Just withdrew my acceptance

Good luck all those on the waitlist!

Just withdrew my acceptance

Good luck all those on the waitlist!

Congrats, you must be accepted somewhere you really want to go! This will help someone out that really wants to go to UB.

Congrats, you must be accepted somewhere you really want to go! This will help someone out that really wants to go to UB.

Yep, currently deciding between Wake Forest and Einstein. Hopefully my withdrawal will help someone from the waitlist!

Also, congrats on your acceptance!

Did anyone else get their award letter? I qualified for about 40k in loans. Is this a joke? As an out of state student, 40k doesn't even cover my tuition, let alone my living expenses. What did you guys get?

How did you receive your letter? Email? Snail mail?

They sent an email to your UBMail. You have to claim your UBIT account first (they sent you an email a long time ago telling how), and then use the name and password to login to UBMail. There are instructions there on how to see your award.

Did anyone else get their award letter? I qualified for about 40k in loans. Is this a joke? As an out of state student, 40k doesn't even cover my tuition, let alone my living expenses. What did you guys get?

I got the exact same loan package.

I'm in-state and living at home for free (parents house is 1 mile from UB), so I have no objection. This will give me more than enough for tuition, books/equipment, living expenses, etc.

You would probably need grad plus loans or a scholarship to fill the gap with the first year OOS tuition. Keep in mind that you would be in-state years 2-4.

I got the exact same loan package.

I'm in-state and living at home for free (parents house is 1 mile from UB), so I have no objection. This will give me more than enough for tuition, books/equipment, living expenses, etc.

You would probably need grad plus loans or a scholarship to fill the gap with the first year OOS tuition. Keep in mind that you would be in-state years 2-4.

Hey guys so im still deciding what school im going to and was waiting for my aid packages to come in. I have not gotten mine from UB. When did you get a thing saying you had to sign up for a UB account. I already have a UB email, I am so confused as to why I haven't gotten this. Thanks.

Hey guys so im still deciding what school im going to and was waiting for my aid packages to come in. I have not gotten mine from UB. When did you get a thing saying you had to sign up for a UB account. I already have a UB email, I am so confused as to why I haven't gotten this. Thanks.

I already had a buffalo.edu email, and it just came to that.

Did you fill out your FAFSA before March 1st?

I already had a buffalo.edu email, and it just came to that.

Did you fill out your FAFSA before March 1st?

No I filled it out a little after march 1st so hopefully it will be coming soon. Im assuming that it will be around the same amount of loans that everyone else is getting so Im not too worried about that. Thanks for letting me know hopefully I will get it soon.

No I filled it out a little after march 1st so hopefully it will be coming soon. Im assuming that it will be around the same amount of loans that everyone else is getting so Im not too worried about that. Thanks for letting me know hopefully I will get it soon.

Yeah, you will get it soon.

I just accepted my loans. Just the first year in-state tuition is more than all of my undergrad loans combined. I've never had to look at numbers so big, so it's kind of scary.

Got my FA award. Also 40.5K in loans. I'm probably going to withdraw :(. Bummer. I really liked the school.

Is it me or is it a pain to claim your UB account and navigate their network?

Got my FA award. Also 40.5K in loans. I'm probably going to withdraw :(. Bummer. I really liked the school.

Is it me or is it a pain to claim your UB account and navigate their network?

The reason it's a pain is because they are switching over to a new system this year. The new system isn't fully implemented yet.

If you really want to go to UB, I'm sure they will work with you financially. There are other loans and grants available. Also, I think grad plus loans can fill any amount you need over the 40.5K, and they are low interest.

What about scholarships? I think roughly 30 percent of UB med students get some scholarship money.

The reason it's a pain is because they are switching over to a new system this year. The new system isn't fully implemented yet.

If you really want to go to UB, I'm sure they will work with you financially. There are other loans and grants available. Also, I think grad plus loans can fill any amount you need over the 40.5K, and they are low interest.

What about scholarships? I think roughly 30 percent of UB med students get some scholarship money.

I'm in-state so the loans are more than enough, especially given the low cost-of-living in Buffalo. Upstate gave me a full-ride, though, so I can't really justify turning that down without a similar offer. Drats!! Class 'til noon sounded so good.

Who would you write to haggle on financial aid matters?

I'm in-state so the loans are more than enough, especially given the low cost-of-living in Buffalo. Upstate gave me a full-ride, though, so I can't really justify turning that down without a similar offer. Drats!! Class 'til noon sounded so good.

Who would you write to haggle on financial aid matters?

Do the full ride at Upstate! Sounds like a no-brainer to me. :)

I'm with maxwell. I'd not turn down a full ride to Upstate. Is there something about Buffalo that stands out about it that would make you turn it down? Maybe I'm wrong as I don't know as much about NY schools as I do about mass or florida schools but I always thought that buffalo and upstate were roughly equal in rep. is there something I'm missing?

I'm into both and liked Buffalo a lot more than Upstate.. The feeling I got at the schools are very different, and in terms of cities I liked Buffalo more than Syracuse. It just seemed to me that the program at Buffalo was a lot more 'together' than that of Upstate, and if you peruse that thread there are a few disconcerting posts about the cheating scandal and the literature course. However, I am sure that for the vast majority of students there is probably very little difference in terms of where you can match and what not... I'd go with Buffalo if all things were equal, but there is no way I would turn down a full-ride to Upstate to go to UB

Buffalo is definitely better than Upstate, by both rankings/reputation and, in my opinion, atmosphere. That said, if I had a full ride (or half ride), I'd go wherever that was. Upstate is still a good school, so you wouldn't be sacrificing much in reality. There's no way Buffalo is worth over 100K compared to Upstate.

Just sent a withdrawal e-mail to Mr. Rosso. :(

It seemed unlikely that I could convince them to go from no scholarship to anywhere near full scholarship. Honestly, I was kind of surprised that I was even accepted given my mediocre interview performance.

I hope my spot at this awesome school goes to someone here. Good luck guys.

Last edited:
Why do I always have huge spaces under my posts?

The minimum height of your post is determined by your avatar plus the additional information under it. Anyway, you made the right decision, even if it was a little difficult. Best of luck at Upstate!

To those who already had their UBIT thing set up. How do you claim your account? I got my personal # from the GrAdmit to pay my deposit, but there is no instruction on how to set up my UBIT account on my e-mail or on my official acceptance package. Thanks in advance.

To those who already had their UBIT thing set up. How do you claim your account? I got my personal # from the GrAdmit to pay my deposit, but there is no instruction on how to set up my UBIT account on my e-mail or on my official acceptance package. Thanks in advance.

I received an email about a week after my initial acceptance telling me how to set up my account and view financial aid awards. The email also includes a temporary password which I believe you need to set up the account.

So I got the email about on campus housing today...I was wondering if anyone else who is attending Buffalo thinks they will do on campus housing? Does anyone know what percentage of students typically live on campus? Any ideas how much it costs compared to the likely rental apartment in the local areas?

Hey guys!

I decided to attend Buffalo a few days ago and have attached a Match List Compilation that I made. It contains data I believe from 2003 up to 2011.

Hope you guys find it interesting!

Attachments

• BuffaloMatchList.xlsx
    49.4 KB · Views: 145
yay! got accepted yesterday (snail mail). my first acceptance! so yep, there really is movement in the wait-lists. according to Mr. Rosso, I was in the "middle-third" of the waitlist and had a 50% chance of getting accepted. I interviewed in early January. I wish you all the best of luck!

Tough decision but just withdrew. Hope the spot goes to an SDNer obsessively checking this thread :)

Status
Not open for further replies.