2010-2011 University of Buffalo (SUNY) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
all the way across the country from CA, showing some love for UCLA before the tourney starts!

Members don't see this ad.

all the way across the country from CA, showing some love for UCLA before the tourney starts!

OK, never mind then, I still like you.:laugh:

Buffalo is a hockey town, and there is a rivalry between the Buffalo Sabres and teams like Boston, since they beat us in the first round of the playoffs last year.

Hey Everyone,

Just so you know, in the current US NEWS med school research ranking just released, UB has jumped from 59 to 55th place. NY State funded school rankings look something like this:

SUNY at Buffalo SOM: 55
Stony Brook SOM: 56
Upstate Med University: 82
SUNY downstate: Unranked

Here is one more reason for you guys to attend UB.

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings.../top-medical-schools/research-rankings/page+3

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Everyone,

Just so you know, in the current US NEWS med school research ranking just released, UB has jumped from 59 to 55th place. NY State funded school rankings look something like this:

SUNY at Buffalo SOM: 55
Stony Brook SOM: 56
Upstate Med University: 82
SUNY downstate: Unranked

Here is one more reason for you guys to attend UB.

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings.../top-medical-schools/research-rankings/page+3
Seriously? They jumped a few spots and have suddenly become a better choice?

Seriously? They jumped a few spots and have suddenly become a better choice?

Whoa! What are you pissed off about. Hope this cycle is treating you well. Anyways, UB has a history of producing great physicians and our hard work is finally paying off as we now are heading towards becoming a top tier school. So for those of you waiting to decide on UB, here is one additional fact for you to consider.

Whoa! What are you pissed off about. Hope this cycle is treating you well. Anyways, UB has a history of producing great physicians and our hard work is finally paying off as we now are heading towards becoming a top tier school. So for those of you waiting to decide on UB, here is one additional fact for you to consider.
I'm not pissed at all. But to suggest that moving up a few spots makes it a better choice is somewhat misguided. Lots of schools move up and down a few spots every year. Unless the next best alternative is flipping a coin, this should not factor into one's decision at all.

I'm not pissed at all. But to suggest that moving up a few spots makes it a better choice is somewhat misguided. Lots of schools move up and down a few spots every year. Unless the next best alternative is flipping a coin, this should not factor into one's decision at all.

I think it influences some people's decisions.

People currently accepted to UB might be less likely to withdraw now.

This actually makes me worried, since I'm hoping to get in off the waitlist.

Although I agree small changes in rankings are mostly irrelevant, it is semi-noteworthy that UB is now above Stony Brook. I think it drives home the point that Buffalo is truly trying to become a leader in medicine, and not just another state school.

Although I agree small changes in rankings are mostly irrelevant, it is semi-noteworthy that UB is now above Stony Brook. I think it drives home the point that Buffalo is truly trying to become a leader in medicine, and not just another state school.

Exactly, I agree.

I think it influences some people's decisions.

People currently accepted to UB might be less likely to withdraw now.

This actually makes me worried, since I'm hoping to get in off the waitlist.

I doubt it will have much of an effect, personally. I wouldn't be worried.

I doubt it will have much of an effect, personally. I wouldn't be worried.

I'm sure you're probably right.

Everyone currently holding an acceptance to UB can't end up matriculating there.

Anyone else hear NYC Mayor Bloomberg's comments about Buffalo today?

It makes me mad.:mad:

Everyone currently holding an acceptance to UB can't end up matriculating there.

while not unfounded, they were still inappropriate.

Members don't see this ad :)

What were the comments?

What were the comments?

"Our city's problems are problems of success. We don't have enough classrooms, we don't have enough roads, we don't have enough housing. If you go to other cities, they don't have those problems. There's an awful lot of free space up in Buffalo, New York if you want to go there. I don't think you do," remarked Bloomberg.

Lol. To be fair, no city can beat New York City. :)

"Our city's problems are problems of success. We don't have enough classrooms, we don't have enough roads, we don't have enough housing. If you go to other cities, they don't have those problems. There's an awful lot of free space up in Buffalo, New York if you want to go there. I don't think you do," remarked Bloomberg.

Lol. To be fair, no city can beat New York City. :)

At the very least, it was an underhanded and completely unnecessary remark. Buffalo has some great people and things to do. It's not all empty space and vacant houses.

He probably shouldn't have used any city as a specific example, but you have to realize pretty much anyone from this area pictures anything north of westchester as the middle of nowhere. It's obviously not accurate (in fact my uncle lives in Buffalo right near the school and loves it there), but you shouldn't get overly offended either - it's just a byproduct of being in literally the capital of the world. It applies to the rest of the country too:

NewYorker1976-03-29cover.png

Mike Bloomberg is known for speaking without thinking a little too often. That comment ranks pretty low on the list of ridiculous things he has said. Ultimately what he said this time represents the opinion of many New Yorkers.

He probably shouldn't have used any city as a specific example, but you have to realize pretty much anyone from this area pictures anything north of westchester as the middle of nowhere. It's obviously not accurate (in fact my uncle lives in Buffalo right near the school and loves it there), but you shouldn't get overly offended either - it's just a byproduct of being in literally the capital of the world. It applies to the rest of the country too:

NewYorker1976-03-29cover.png

Oddly enough, for some reason this cover picture is posted up as a big blow up somewhere in the Roswell Park Cancer Institute. Maybe someone here will see it on an elective or rotation. I could never figure out why it is there, but it is. I can't remember right now if its in one of the hallways of the Department of Medicine's offices or if its in the corridor between RPCI and Buffalo General.

Oddly enough, for some reason this cover picture is posted up as a big blow up somewhere in the Roswell Park Cancer Institute. Maybe someone here will see it on an elective or rotation. I could never figure out why it is there, but it is. I can't remember right now if its in one of the hallways of the Department of Medicine's offices or if its in the corridor between RPCI and Buffalo General.

That's funny, I should take a look at that sometime. My research office is extremely close to the RPCI / Buff Gen connector hallway thing.

Oh, and I'm not angry anymore, really it's fine. :)

Last edited:
Hey, I just checked my status online, and it said Accepted!:D

I'm in shock, and it still hasn't sunk in yet. I called the admissions office, and they confirmed that it's not a mistake or anything.

Right, so I guess the waitlist has started to move. :)

I'm going to be a doctor, finally!

I'm in shock, and it still hasn't sunk in yet. I called the admissions office, and they confirmed that it's not a mistake or anything.

Congratulations! :D

Oh my god I have been on the waitlist since october and randomly saw Maxwell's comment and decided to check my status and IM ACCEPTED!!! oh my god i have no idea what im going to do im also accepted at stony brook ahhh!!!! good luck everyone!!!!!!!!!

Oh my god I have been on the waitlist since october and randomly saw Maxwell's comment and decided to check my status and IM ACCEPTED!!! oh my god i have no idea what im going to do im also accepted at stony brook ahhh!!!! good luck everyone!!!!!!!!!

Awesome! If you choose UB, we'll be classmates! :)

Awesome! If you choose UB, we'll be classmates! :)

Congrats on your acceptance!! I know you really wanted to go there, happy you got in. If I didnt see your post I would have never checked my status so thank you! lol

Congrats on your acceptance!! I know you really wanted to go there, happy you got in. If I didnt see your post I would have never checked my status so thank you! lol

Cool, glad you checked it!

Anyone get the acceptance package in the mail yet?

I'm hoping mine will come tomorrow, since I live about a mile away from the school.

I really want to pay the deposit immediately, but I don't know how to access the online payment page. That information is included in the acceptance package.

Seriously, congratulations! You deserve it. I have been rooting for you the whole way. Good job.

Checked mine, still on wait list. Kind of unnerving...

Last edited:

Congratulations! It's good to see someone get into their top choice.

Cool, glad you checked it!

Anyone get the acceptance package in the mail yet?

I'm hoping mine will come tomorrow, since I live about a mile away from the school.

I really want to pay the deposit immediately, but I don't know how to access the online payment page. That information is included in the acceptance package.

Congratulations Maxwell!

Ha - was wondering why this thread suddenly moved so much. Congrats to all of you guys :)

Hey all! Best of luck to all admitted students and everyone getting in off the waitlist. Buffalo was very nice to me but I don't think I'll be attending there this fall so I will be withdrawing my acceptance. A quick question about the proper etiquette for this, do I just email the office of admissions? Am I supposed to give any sort of reason or identifiers like my AMCAS number? Thanks a lot and good luck to all of you!

Hey all! Best of luck to all admitted students and everyone getting in off the waitlist. Buffalo was very nice to me but I don't think I'll be attending there this fall so I will be withdrawing my acceptance. A quick question about the proper etiquette for this, do I just email the office of admissions? Am I supposed to give any sort of reason or identifiers like my AMCAS number? Thanks a lot and good luck to all of you!

I don't really think they care for your reason TBH. I would just put my name amcas and a simple withdrawal letter thanking them for accepting you, etc., etc.

Anyone else have trouble paying the $100 acceptance deposit online? I remember someone mentioning this a few pages back.

Earlier today, the form loaded, but I couldn't get past the first page, and clicking continue did absolutely nothing.

Now, it says down for maintenance.

I'm sure it will be sorted out by Monday (they give you 2 weeks to pay it), but I really want to get everything locked in right away.

Anyone else have trouble paying the $100 acceptance deposit online? I remember someone mentioning this a few pages back.

Earlier today, the form loaded, but I couldn't get past the first page, and clicking continue did absolutely nothing.

Now, it says down for maintenance.

I'm sure it will be sorted out by Monday (they give you 2 weeks to pay it), but I really want to get everything locked in right away.

I would just mail a check.

I would just mail a check.

Well, seeing as I live less than a 5 minute drive away, I could hand deliver a check to the admissions office on Monday morning.:)

I couldn't do it today, because I had to work all day.

Wooohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!:soexcited::clap::clap::highfive::banana::banana::zip:

I'm taking it this means you've been accepted.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been following this thread still only to hear this news cuz if anyone deserves it you do. :)

Thanks, Guju!

Very festive, I like it.:laugh:

:laugh: BTW hope its ok I told everyone to give a shout out to you on the FAU thread. We were all rooting for you, you know. :)

Sure, no problem at all. I really hope you get the invite!

If I get an invite to FAU, I'll just withdraw anyway, so maybe you'll get it then.:)

Well, seeing as I live less than a 5 minute drive away, I could hand deliver a check to the admissions office on Monday morning.:)

I couldn't do it today, because I had to work all day.

You should wear your white coat when you deliver it.

CONGRATS MAXWELL!!!! :clap::clap::clap::clap:

I knew you'd get in :p and I'm really happy for you!!! It's great you got accepted sooner than later, I bet you're really feeling relieved right now (I sure am!). Glad things worked out for the both of us and we're going to our top choices :D.

I'm also still in the "I can't believe it really happened" phase. I don't think it will really hit me until the white coat ceremony! :)

PS: My status at UB is still "NO ACTION" :laugh:

Last edited:
CONGRATS MAXWELL!!!! :clap::clap::clap::clap:

I knew you'd get in :p and I'm really happy for you!!! It's great you got accepted sooner than later, I bet you're really feeling relieved right now (I sure am!). Glad things worked out for the both of us and we're going to our top choices :D.

I'm also still in the "I can't believe it really happened" phase. I don't think it will really hit me until the white coat ceremony! :)

PS: My status at UB is still "NO ACTION" :laugh:

Hey, thanks a lot! I'm also glad you got in sooner, rather than later, and your top choice too! :D

Yeah, it hasn't hit me at all. Pretty soon we'll realize that we actually have to go to med school. :laugh:

For now, I'm just going to take it easy, and you should too.

Bottom third:thumbdown:

You have seriously had some of the worst luck. Aren't you a reapplicant too?

If it's any consolation, I know a 2nd year at UB that got in off the bottom third 2 years ago. He was accepted in July, just a couple weeks before school started.

Also, it's pretty common for people to move up a third eventually, especially with all the withdrawals on May 15th. You could end up in the middle third later, which usually all gets accepted.

I'm rooting for you!:)

Only a week left for interview invites and I'm still at NO ACTION. Hoping for some OOS love but getting scared every time I check my status :scared:

You have seriously had some of the worst luck. Aren't you a reapplicant too?

If it's any consolation, I know a 2nd year at UB that got in off the bottom third 2 years ago. He was accepted in July, just a couple weeks before school started.

Also, it's pretty common for people to move up a third eventually, especially with all the withdrawals on May 15th. You could end up in the middle third later, which usually all gets accepted.

I'm rooting for you!:)

Thanks for the kind words! I know I'm still not out of the running but it's hard to digest news like this, being in that I was told that I have a roughly 20% chance of acceptance.

Status
Not open for further replies.