2010-2011 University of Buffalo (SUNY) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
there is a class of 2015 facebook page and group now.

Join away.

the name is University at Buffalo School of Medicine class of 2015

:):laugh::cool:

does anyone have data or knowledge on what the average step 1 scores are for students at buffalo? thanks in advance.

Congratulations to all who were accepted.. And even more so for those of you who were accepted off the waitlist. You all must be so excited :)

I've read a lot about SUNY Buffalo after talking with my premed adviser about their early assurance program. It seems like a solid institution which offers you a lot of chances for clinical exposure during your first and second years. Of course, you can argue all day long that MS1's are not ready for anything more than taking a blood pressure but I'm sure its nice to take a break from the books and get out in the real world every once in a while.

I will be a freshman at a SUNY this fall. I was told about Buffalo's Early Assurance program by my adviser when I registered for my classes. After looking into Buffalo's medical school a bit more I think I am excited about this opportunity. I understand that it is not the most widely known school out there but I just really like the idea of knowing by the sophomore year of college that I am headed to medical school, not taking the MCAT, and being able to pursue my other interests instead of following the standard pre-med track (and trying to validate my reasons for wanting to be a physician through activities which may or may not necessarily reflect my true interests). I was hoping I could ask you, the accepted students of Buffalo, some more questions about your time there.

Buffalo's website doesn't really go over the curriculum or give an outline about what students do in class. Are your first and second years pretty much standard medical school lectures and studying?

I understand that Buffalo's School of Medicine cannot claim any hospital to be its own. How did rotating during your 3rd and 4th year work for you? Were your attendings / residents okay? I feel like the fact that they are basically volunteering their time letting medical students tag along might lead to abrasiveness. This is in contrast to the general welcoming, relaxed vibe I get about SUNY Buffalo, so I'd love to hear about your thoughts on this.

Lastly, I've seen the match list and it seems nice, especially for someone interested in anesthesiology / radiology / EM / Surgery but what were your experiences with specializing from Buffalo? How did residency programs view the University at Buffalo name?

Thanks a lot for your time.

Regards,
uncle dolan

Status
Not open for further replies.