2010-2011 University of California - San Francisco Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anyone else get the financial aid letter but no word on admission status?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone else get the financial aid letter but no word on admission status?

Yes, it was not long after I submitted my FAFSA so I assumed that is what triggered it.

dinodino, i heard back and i interviewed around jan 6. good luck!

Yes, it was not long after I submitted my FAFSA so I assumed that is what triggered it.

I also got the financial aid letter (wow, a skinny letter in the mail is terrifying!), but did not submit a FAFSA, so I think they just send it out to everyone.

I also got the financial aid letter (wow, a skinny letter in the mail is terrifying!), but did not submit a FAFSA, so I think they just send it out to everyone.

It is probably just that time of year.

Just got this PM but thought to re-post my answer here, since others are likely asking the same thing:

Hey WhirledPeas!

I apologize for PMing you randomly, but I just saw on the UCSF thread that you were accepted! Seriously congratulations! That's a huge accomplishment and really sweet. I interviewed there in Feb, and I wanted to ask if you had sent in an update letter/LOI? I'm not sure if they value these letters, but seeing your great success, I really hope to hear your thoughts.

I sent a very brief update letter + thank you via email shortly after my interview. Who knows if it helped?

Hmm, Ive searched but I dont see a UCSF Facebook group for class of 2015. Anyone know if one is out there?

Just got this PM but thought to re-post my answer here, since others are likely asking the same thing:

I sent a very brief update letter + thank you via email shortly after my interview. Who knows if it helped?

FYI, I didn't send anything...I don't think it's necessary but can't hurt I suppose. Also, I remember on my interview day they explicitly said not to send thank yous (at least directly to interviewers) and stressed the thank yous really didn't make a difference either way.

Has anyone heard back from the MSTP? I know they told us to expect to hear back next week, but I know someone who got in already... :confused:

FYI, I didn't send anything...I don't think it's necessary but can't hurt I suppose. Also, I remember on my interview day they explicitly said not to send thank yous (at least directly to interviewers) and stressed the thank yous really didn't make a difference either way.

I totally agree. I don't think that letter made a difference in my acceptance--the letter was so brief and simply gave them an update in bullet points (with a obligatory thank you for the interview, I'm still interested in your school thrown in).

Has anyone heard back from the MSTP? I know they told us to expect to hear back next week, but I know someone who got in already... :confused:

didn't jana say that if some people had really phenomenal interview scores, they might hear back sooner. when did they hear from them? if it was at the same time as the top 36 letter I'm guessing that's what it was. I haven't heard anything-- and i think it's safe to say at this point those of us who are rejected will hear back as soon as they know.

Members don't see this ad :)
didn't jana say that if some people had really phenomenal interview scores, they might hear back sooner. when did they hear from them? if it was at the same time as the top 36 letter I'm guessing that's what it was. I haven't heard anything-- and i think it's safe to say at this point those of us who are rejected will hear back as soon as they know.

My friend heard today. I don't remember Jana saying that about the topmost people, but it's possible that that's the reason. My friend seemed to know before today that they were going to tell her today, though... Hmmm...

My friend heard today. I don't remember Jana saying that about the topmost people, but it's possible that that's the reason. My friend seemed to know before today that they were going to tell her today, though... Hmmm...

yeah, that's weird. but i'm not too worried, I've definitely never heard anyone say anything about today as being significant so maybe she was a special case or something. (maybe she knows someone on the committee and their final meeting was today?)

Do we think the (MD, not MSTP) committee has met this month? Do we think they'll meet more than once each month from now on?

Does anyone know when we are supposed to start applying for housing?? My friend who is going to the dental school said he and a lot of others going into the incoming class of 2015 were already meeting and applying...

Does UCSF have on-campus housing? I was under the impression that most students lived off-campus and took the bus/MUNI in...does anyone know?

Does anyone know when we are supposed to start applying for housing?? My friend who is going to the dental school said he and a lot of others going into the incoming class of 2015 were already meeting and applying...

I'm not sure when, but I would guess as soon as you find out. There is on-campus housing, both at the medical and research campuses (free shuttle from research).

Anyone who interviewed in January find out yet? I interviewed late Jan and am getting antsy, but I don't know if I'm going to have to wait another month to hear back...

The dean told me that they meet every third monday and go over the last months aps. My friend who interviewed 2 months ago got in yesterday (course she got into every top med school already). Grr I want to hear back soon!

the dean said this on my interview day too, but he also said that they will only evaluate you if both of your interviewers are present at the committee meeting and sometimes interviewers or out of town or can't make it for whatever reason, so it's possible that you just haven't been evaluated yet. i.e. i interviewed all the way back in November and did not hear back until less than 2 weeks ago. so definitely don't lose hope! you'll hear soon!

The dean told me that they meet every third monday and go over the last months aps. My friend who interviewed 2 months ago got in yesterday (course she got into every top med school already). Grr I want to hear back soon!

I'm not sure when, but I would guess as soon as you find out. There is on-campus housing, both at the medical and research campuses (free shuttle from research).

Anyone who interviewed in January find out yet? I interviewed late Jan and am getting antsy, but I don't know if I'm going to have to wait another month to hear back...

I also interviewed late Jan! Yay for my first SDN post ever haha.
They didn't send me letter or email regarding my status, but my status on the online app was updated on march 4th. Did you check that yet?

So I was also placed on this so called "high priority" list. However, it seems that nobody has posted about being waitlisted. To me it seems that the HP list is just another name for being waitlisted. Thoughts? Has anyone called to clarify?

p.s. interviewed 1/25 (checked status online)

So I called the admissions to ask about the high priority list and although I am still slightly confused, I was told three important things:

1. It is an unranked list
2. they do not have a waitlist at this point (I assume that after they look through the HP list they will accept, waitlist, or reject people)
3. They told me to NOT send any information other than updates. no LOI or thank you letters specifically.

Earlier someone said that the med school will be meeting every three weeks from now on... any idea when the next meeting is? It sounds like the last one happened just before the 4th when someone got HPL'ed. Do we know when?

Also, did all applicants get the UCSF tsunami warning earlier today? Freaky, huh?

So I called the admissions to ask about the high priority list and although I am still slightly confused, I was told three important things:

1. It is an unranked list
2. they do not have a waitlist at this point (I assume that after they look through the HP list they will accept, waitlist, or reject people)
3. They told me to NOT send any information other than updates. no LOI or thank you letters specifically.

I interviewed that week too and got put on HPL as well.

I searched around SDN, and according to UCSF threads from previous years we wait til May when they take more actions. At that time if you haven't gotten accepted or rejected, then they tell you if you've on the top or bottom half of the waitlist. And apparently if you're the top half you have a good chance of getting in.

But it seems like some people waited only a month post-HPL to get a status change....so I wonder if that will happen in April....

On another note, I've seen plenty of people with average GPA and high MCAT get in here, but what about people like me with low MCAT and high GPA? Do you guys know anyone like that who got in?

Earlier someone said that the med school will be meeting every three weeks from now on... any idea when the next meeting is? It sounds like the last one happened just before the 4th when someone got HPL'ed. Do we know when?

Also, did all applicants get the UCSF tsunami warning earlier today? Freaky, huh?

Yeah, I got that e-mail. I'm not sure why they sent it to us - but I hope everything is okay -- it looks really bad for Japan :(

I interviewed that week too and got put on HPL as well.

I searched around SDN, and according to UCSF threads from previous years we wait til May when they take more actions. At that time if you haven't gotten accepted or rejected, then they tell you if you've on the top or bottom half of the waitlist. And apparently if you're the top half you have a good chance of getting in.

But it seems like some people waited only a month post-HPL to get a status change....so I wonder if that will happen in April....

On another note, I've seen plenty of people with average GPA and high MCAT get in here, but what about people like me with low MCAT and high GPA? Do you guys know anyone like that who got in?

On my HPL letter, it said that we'd hear back with definitive information by May 1.. whereas previous years heard back something in the middle of May. I wonder if the HPL is different this year?

Hey, so i was just wondering have most people heard back one way or the other who interviewed late january? (No status page update yet for me.) I see a couple HPL's but are most people still waiting for a reply?

Either way, Good luck Everybody!

I also interviewed late Jan! Yay for my first SDN post ever haha.
They didn't send me letter or email regarding my status, but my status on the online app was updated on march 4th. Did you check that yet?

I checked my status and it hasn't changed. It still says Interview Completed. Potsticker, I'm guessing you're on the HP list?

And Blazing, I still haven't heard back and I interviewed January 27.

Here's my speculation. If I remember correctly, they were meeting the Monday after my interview (Jan 31st) and then February was the last month where they met only once (Feb 28) which would be for all the peeps who heard around March 4th. Then from here on out it's 3 weeks between meetings, which means that they ought to be meeting on March 21st and send out information by that Friday.

I checked my status and it hasn't changed. It still says Interview Completed. Potsticker, I'm guessing you're on the HP list?

And Blazing, I still haven't heard back and I interviewed January 27.

Here's my speculation. If I remember correctly, they were meeting the Monday after my interview (Jan 31st) and then February was the last month where they met only once (Feb 28) which would be for all the peeps who heard around March 4th. Then from here on out it's 3 weeks between meetings, which means that they ought to be meeting on March 21st and send out information by that Friday.

Since AAMC traffic rules suggest having enough acceptances to fill the class by the end of march, does that mean that there will be a big round of acceptances going out soon?

Doubtful Jade, I think they've already given away the right proportion of acceptances to interviews and they're filling in the last 10-20% of their class. Who knows though...

Interviewed early Jan,

just received a large envelope from UCSF.

Good luck everyone!

Does UCSF have on-campus housing? I was under the impression that most students lived off-campus and took the bus/MUNI in...does anyone know?

Hey everyone. I'm an MS1 at UCSF. First, congrats on getting in. UCSF is awesome, just know you have big shoes to fill because our class has tons of fun.

Housing is super easy. Most of us live within just a few blocks of campus and walk to classes or in some cases jump on the MUNI. There's this sweet spreadsheet that'll be circulated at some point if it hasn't already where classmates fill out their info and find housing on craigslist together. Most people in our class found other classmates to live with sometime over the summer. Finding a place via Craigslist is super easy and something you can start doing within a month or so of moving to the city. A few people live in mission bay and take the shuttle to campus and some live in subsidized school housing close to campus but I think you have to sign the lease starting in early July or something, which is kinda early. Hope that helps.

And last thing...go somewhere where you're ganna be happy cuz you end up learning the same thing at all of these schools. I'd rank location and classmates as the top two things that should influence your decision, so make sure you make it out to our Accepted Students Weekend at the end of April!

Acceptance packet on the east coast today. No online status change.

My acceptance packet came Saturday! An incredible surprise :) I interviewed the second week of February. No change online yet for me either.

Interviewed Feb 3rd no status change or large envelope. Does that mean I am HPL'ed? to those who have been HPL'ed did you guys get a letter in the mail or just on an online pdf??

Just checked my status on a whim and saw I've been accepted MD! Shocked, to say the least, and ecstatic! :)

I hear the crickets chirpping. Anybody get any news recently from UCSF? The waiting is slowly sucking my will to live. Waynes world anyone?

Dude trust me I'm dying slowly too. I interviewed Feb 3 and still haven't heard a peep! Almost two months now!

Can any current medical students answer a question about class schedule for the first two years? For example, are you generally in class from 8 to noon? 8 to 5? Or is it a mix of the two (including small group stuff).

Sorry, one more question for a current student. Does anybody know how many students applied for ophthalmology and matched? Is there a place I can see the actual match list?

accepted from HPL. Interviewed Dec...waitlisted in Jan.
UCLA vs. UCSF.......Praise God all mighty, i never thought I make it this far!

Status
Not open for further replies.