2010-2011 University of Iowa (Carver) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got my invite yesterday and wasn't complete yet. However, I was complete by the end of the day :)

Members don't see this ad.

One things to realize is that they say in their interview invite email (I know this because I got one, too) that you don't have to be complete for them to invite you for an interview. I assume that is how an August 5th complete can get an interview invite a week later.

I'm not complete. My committee is slow. I don't think I'll be complete until september. Luckily this school doesn't wait.

Anyone have any idea on how Iowa screens for secondaries? Is it different for in state / out of state?

P.S. I heard somewhere that they will send interview invites to instaters even if their LORs aren't in yet

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have any idea on how Iowa screens for secondaries? Is it different for in state / out of state?

P.S. I heard somewhere that they will send interview invites to instaters even if their LORs aren't in yet

For screening, I've read on SDN an MCAT minimum of 25. Admissions requirements are a 2.5 in all coursework undertaken.

Yes, they do invite in-state without completion. I got mine yesterday (5:39 pm, if you really must know:laugh:) and scheduled it, and my letters won't be finished until next week.

For screening, I've read on SDN an MCAT minimum of 25. Admissions requirements are a 2.5 in all coursework undertaken.

Yes, they do invite in-state without completion. I got mine yesterday (5:39 pm, if you really must know:laugh:) and scheduled it, and my letters won't be finished until next week.

Hehe, thanks for the info! And good luck :)

How soon after you were verified did you get your secondary?

^Primary submitted 6/21, Transcripts Received 5/23, 5/28, 6/2, Verified 7/2
UIowa Secondary received 7/15, submitted 7/24
Interview invite 08/13

Interview invite on 8/13 after submitting on 8/8, quite shocked to say the least. I'm scheduled for 9/29. Good luck everyone else!

those who received interview invites, would you mind posting your stats?

My interview is Sept 20.

MCAT: 29Q 10 BS 9 VS 10 PS

sGPA: 3.49

cGPA: 3.62

I really really want to go here! I'm hoping my lower than average stats don't get me rejected! At least I'm IS...maybe that'll help

Interview on 9/24!
Verified 7/30, Secondary requested 8/2, Secondary submitted 8/3 (not complete--waiting on one LOR), Interview invite 8/13
MCAT 29P (10, 9, 10)
sGPA 3.47
cGPA 3.54
Out of state--California (went to a UC)

So excited! I want to go here so badly.

Last edited:
Hey all you who have received interview invitations, did they give you a choice as to the interview date, or did they just give you a date? If they gave you a choice, when was the earliest date they offer, and what days are they interviewing on? Thanks for the help :)

Hey all you who have received interview invitations, did they give you a choice as to the interview date, or did they just give you a date? If they gave you a choice, when was the earliest date they offer, and what days are they interviewing on? Thanks for the help :)

They offered five different dates for me--three in September (22nd, 24th, 29th) and 2 in October (1st, 27th). According to their website, they hold interviews on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.

Still looking for an interview! OOS, but my stats are ok: 3.72 sGPA, 33Q. BAH! My LORs were accepted by CCOM on the 7/29 and that was the last of it. Anyone have any words of comfort?? lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Still looking for an interview! OOS, but my stats are ok: 3.72 sGPA, 33Q. BAH! My LORs were accepted by CCOM on the 7/29 and that was the last of it. Anyone have any words of comfort?? lol

I'm sitting in the same boat and it's making me really anxious

Just received the sec! OOS
I'm really interested in primary care and this school sounds like a great fit! (except for the cold....I'm from cali so this could be a problem. lol)

Last edited:
Interview 9/24

MCAT: 36Q (14PS, 10VR, 12BS)

sGPA: 3.91

cGPA:3.93

finished secondary on 8/8 and in-state

I applied a bit late to this school, and just submitted the secondary yesterday. For those of you who already submitted, how long after you paid the fee was it reflected on the main page?

I applied a bit late to this school, and just submitted the secondary yesterday. For those of you who already submitted, how long after you paid the fee was it reflected on the main page?

IIRC, mine took four days... Submitted payment on a Thursday evening and the following Monday it had updated to "Paid."

:luck:

IIRC, mine took four days... Submitted payment on a Thursday evening and the following Monday it had updated to "Paid."

Thanks so much Hakuna!!!:) I'll wait until Wed or so before I start to get worried:) I know some schools have a financial officer or something that has to manually update the status. I'm also still waiting for them to approve my LORs, so we'll see! This school looks so amazing, I am so mad at myself for not applying earlier.

Interview Invite!!!
I love this school!
OOS Applicant
3.86 GPA
33 Q
9/22/2010 Interview

Good luck to all!

I was complete on July 20th. Felt like a long time to wait but it's worth it.

Does anyone know if there is often a gap between them receiving all of your materials and being marked complete at this school? Under the status column all of my documents are marked as received, yet my status still clearly says 'incomplete'. Its only been one week since the individual items were marked complete, should I call their office or is this delay standard?

Interview on 9/27!
IS
Verified 8/12
MCAT score released 8/17 (14/11/14 M)
Secondary invite 8/17
Secondary submitted 8/24 (not complete: waiting on LoR's)
Interview invite 8/26
sGPA 3.76
cGPA 3.71

This is my top choice, and I really want to get in!

Does anyone know if there is often a gap between them receiving all of your materials and being marked complete at this school? Under the status column all of my documents are marked as received, yet my status still clearly says 'incomplete'. Its only been one week since the individual items were marked complete, should I call their office or is this delay standard?

Same thing happened to me. Your status will change to complete in the next 1-2 weeks after they review your file.

Interview on 9/27!
IS
Verified 8/12
MCAT score released 8/17 (14/11/14 M)
Secondary invite 8/17
Secondary submitted 8/24 (not complete: waiting on LoR's)
Interview invite 8/26
sGPA 3.76
cGPA 3.71

This is my top choice, and I really want to get in!

Wow, talk about a fast turnaround. Congrats!

Interview 10/8. OOS, 3.9/34. I was complete a long time ago, don't remember when. Yay!

Interview invite!
submitted secondary 8/27, interview invite today, complete after invite!

OOS 32MCAT, 3.63gpa

I scheduled for 12/3 diversity day...does anyone else know about this?? I asked the lady if it would hurt chances of acceptance waiting until that day but she said no. I still feel wierd since there are so many spots open before then!

Interview invite!
submitted secondary 8/27, interview invite today, complete after invite!

OOS 32MCAT, 3.63gpa

I scheduled for 12/3 diversity day...does anyone else know about this?? I asked the lady if it would hurt chances of acceptance waiting until that day but she said no. I still feel wierd since there are so many spots open before then!

Congratulations!!! Can I ask, did your payment show as processed before the invite?

Interview invite!

It shouldn't hurt you! Of course, you will find out later if your're accepted or not than you might if you interviewed earlier, but as far as actual chances go, no. Iowa works diligently to create a heterogeneous student body; they wouldn't create an interview day just for that, and then have it cause those that they most want to recruit to have a lesser chance of getting in. At least, that's my reasoning :)

I just received my first interview invite!!!

I'm soooo excited!
SS: 7/27
SC: 8/4
II: 9/2 (OOS)

Completed 8/4
No word back yet...

Re-applicant though, basically shot myself in the foot last year applying so late (November), I should have just waited.

32N 3.55C OOS

Completed 8/4
No word back yet...

Re-applicant though, basically shot myself in the foot last year applying so late (November), I should have just waited.

32N 3.55C OOS
I got an interview first one of the season OOS woooohoooo
Im not even complete my letters were received yesterday!!!
There is hope ppl

I got an interview first one of the season OOS woooohoooo
Im not even complete my letters were received yesterday!!!
There is hope ppl

Congrats! :D Do you mind sharing your stats?

I just received my first interview invite!!!

I'm soooo excited!
SS: 7/27
SC: 8/4
II: 9/2 (OOS)

Congrats to you, too!!

When are you guys interviewing? Anyone else on the 27th?

Last edited:
I think Carver passed me over. Complete 7/27 and nothing. So bummed.

It sounds like getting from the airport to the school may be a bit expensive ($75 for a shuttle!?) Does anyone know of a better alternative?

It sounds like getting from the airport to the school may be a bit expensive ($75 for a shuttle!?) Does anyone know of a better alternative?
I know!!! with all the money we spend I could save that money

so, just got scheduled my interview for 10/06/2010. But does Iowa City have an airport?? where is the cloest airport? :S

Closest airports to Iowa City- Cedar Rapids (IA) and Moline( IL)

Closest airports to Iowa City- Cedar Rapids (IA) and Moline( IL)
I would like to second this. I just booked my flight home (west coast) and it was $120 cheaper, round trip, to fly out of moline than from cedar rapids. Consider this, as well as the shuttle costs when making your travel plans, because moline could end up being a lot cheaper! I also just wanted to come in here and wish everyone good luck. I've only been at Iowa a few weeks, but I really like it so far!

For those of you who have received interview invites from oos, mind sharing what states you are from?

(complete 7/20, no word yet, from WI)

For those of you who have received interview invites from oos, mind sharing what states you are from?

Minnesota. Go Vikings! :laugh:

EDIT: However my undergrad is elsewhere. :)

from Chicago, Illinois, very close.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.