2010-2011 University of Iowa (Carver) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How likely is it that one gets an interview invite before completing their secondary application, as an in-state applicant?

How likely is it that one gets an interview invite before completing their secondary application, as an in-state applicant?

If you look at previous threads in years past, you can actually get an interview w/o a completed secondary if you meet the threshold (GPA & MCAT) defined for this.. the numbers are super high to attain this though (3.8+ and 10+ in all sections have been OK in the past - don't know what the numbers are this year though)

Members don't see this ad :)
If you look at previous threads in years past, you can actually get an interview w/o a completed secondary if you meet the threshold (GPA & MCAT) defined for this.. the numbers are super high to attain this though (3.8+ and 10+ in all sections have been OK in the past - don't know what the numbers are this year though)

Going by cutoffs alone, the gpa one would be less than 3.8 for this year. I have a 3.7-something. But I got the vibe that Iowa has a quick turnaround in general. Definitely submit your secondary app (this part had to be finished to get an interview invite) and then get the letters in.

Going by cutoffs alone, the gpa one would be less than 3.8 for this year. I have a 3.7-something. But I got the vibe that Iowa has a quick turnaround in general. Definitely submit your secondary app (this part had to be finished to get an interview invite) and then get the letters in.

I was actually talking about auto interview invites....Carver offered them them last year, where you dont have to complete the secondary prior to getting an invite, you would however have to complete it before going to the actual interview..... to be eligible for auto-invites, the GPA/MCAT was very high....

I was actually talking about auto interview invites....Carver offered them them last year, where you dont have to complete the secondary prior to getting an invite, you would however have to complete it before going to the actual interview..... to be eligible for auto-invites, the GPA/MCAT was very high....

I think Carver offered them this year, too, although I don't think the cutoff was "very high." I got one on 8/13 with 3.95/33S IS (which is good, yes, but not like some of y'all's 4.0/40s :p). You also probably have to meet the pre-reqs already being done, I would assume (?). From the secondary invite:

"Dear Nwilkes,
The Admissions Committee has asked me to invite you for a personal interview at the University of Iowa Roy J. and Lucille A. Carver College of Medicine. Interviews are only offered to applicants who have successfully met criteria set by the committee. This interview offer is not contingent upon a complete file. It is suggested that you check your Secondary Homepage to be certain that all required materials have been received." (bolded added)

...At least I think it was auto, since I wasn't complete until 9/1.

:luck: to everone! From last year and what the office said, it seems they mail the decisions out on the 15th or so and people last year started getting notifications on the 21st.

I received an invite a day after submission of my secondary. My letters were not received yet. I was complete about two weeks later. If that is an auto invite I didn't have a stellar mcat tho my gpa is high

Interview invite yesterday. 3.66/34 OOS (WI resident). Interview on 11/17. So excited.

I received an invite a day after submission of my secondary. My letters were not received yet. I was complete about two weeks later. If that is an auto invite I didn't have a stellar mcat tho my gpa is high

Yeah, that's what it was... someone posted the specifics about this on either last years thread or the year before that (yeah, I read both); they even had the numbers required... I remember the requirement was significantly lower for IS than OOS... For 2008 IS, I think the MCAT was at least 9 on all sections, while in 2009 I believe it was at least 10s for the auto-invite.... don't know if it changed this year though... and oh, all the their prerequisite requirements had to be completed.

now it doesn't mean that if someone doesn't hit this number, they wont eventually get invited because they may after entire apps has been fully reviewed by an actual person.... (I know, because that's only way I got invited, hehe :) ).

Either way you look at it, this process is so random as heck anyways, lol~!!!:cool:

Last edited:

Aah, sorry for not being more clear. I was trying to differentiate between submitting the secondary (necessary for the "auto invite?") and having a complete application (with secondary processed and letters in...and not necessary for the "auto invite").

:luck: to everone! From last year and what the office said, it seems they mail the decisions out on the 15th or so and people last year started getting notifications on the 21st.

Must resist counting down...!! :laugh:

Does anyone know when the committee meets this year? Last year's thread said it was pretty much every Tues...

Got the auto invite and oos with mcat not as per message below so I don't think that was the criteria.
[/B]

Yeah, that's what it was... someone posted the specifics about this on either last years thread or the year before that (yeah, I read both); they even had the numbers required... I remember the requirement was significantly lower for IS than OOS... For 2008 IS, I think the MCAT was at least 9 on all sections, while in 2009 I believe it was at least 10s for the auto-invite.... don't know if it changed this year though... and oh, all the their prerequisite requirements had to be completed.

now it doesn't mean that if someone doesn't hit this number, they wont eventually get invited because they may after someone their entire apps has been fully reviewed.... (I know, because that's only way I got invited, hehe).

Either way you look at it, this process is so random as heck anyways, lol~!!!:cool:

Just thought I'd share my story for all of you "late" applicants out there.

By some people's standards I submitted my AMCAS "late" in the game. Hearing of all the people who had submitted their AMCAS the first week of June or something crazy like that, I was starting to get pretty disheartened. When I did finally submit my AMCAS in late August, I was expecting a processing time of about 4-6 weeks and no interview offer (if any) until November sometime. NOT TO WORRY! It took just over 3 weeks for AMCAS processing and CCOM was VERY quick to offer the secondary after that (2 DAYS!!). Interview invite not long after that!

My advice to all of you so-called "late" applicants: Don't get discouraged! Keep at it and submit your secondary as soon as possible!

AMCAS Submitted: 8/30
AMCAS Processed: 9/22
Secondary Invite: 9/24
Secondary Submitted: 9/30
Interview Invite: 10/4
Interview Date: 11/22 (2nd earliest offered)

sGPA: 3.88
cGPA: 3.89
MCAT: 32N

Members don't see this ad :)
OOS, 33Q, 3.7c and s. haven't heard ANYTHING since submitting my secondary. I've been complete since july. Should I call or something??

OOS, 33Q, 3.7c and s. haven't heard ANYTHING since submitting my secondary. I've been complete since july. Should I call or something??

I'd look into it.. I submitted my secondary at the end of September and accepted an interview like 3 days later..

Invite 10/09. Just scheduled for 12/08...didn't have earlier choice. Isn't that really late?

Did anyone else just receive an email from UIowa (not even seeming COM specific) that they won't be evaluated until Jan because they are applying as a transfer student?

I am not applying as a transfer student...

Did anyone else just receive an email from UIowa (not even seeming COM specific) that they won't be evaluated until Jan because they are applying as a transfer student?

Yep, I did. I called that admission office (the undergrad one, not the med school's) and she said that they were getting a lot of calls about it lol.

I interviewed there about 2 weeks ago, so I saw the email and my heart skipped a beat for a second. I also know that they had an admin committee meeting on the 12th last app cycle according to the 2009-2010 thread, so maybe they made some admissions decisions and accidentally leaked the info (???). Did you already interview there?

Thank god for SDN. :laugh:
I just received one as well. As soon as I saw something from Iowa in my inbox, I was really confused as my interview isn't for another two weeks and I thought they had already made a decision. lawl.

phew.

Yep, I did. I called that admission office (the undergrad one, not the med school's) and she said that they were getting a lot of calls about it lol.

I interviewed there about 2 weeks ago, so I saw the email and my heart skipped a beat for a second. I also know that they had an admin committee meeting on the 12th last app cycle according to the 2009-2010 thread, so maybe they made some admissions decisions and accidentally leaked the info (???). Did you already interview there?
my heart skipped a bit too cuz i interviewd but she said the adcom is meeting for the first time on the 16 or some like that so i dont think any decision has been made. She made it sound like we would wait forever but patience is my virtue (at least i want it to be at this point)...
GL

Hey,

I just received this email from [email protected], it says "As a transfer student, no admission decision will be made on your application until January 31, 2011."

Has anyone been getting this after they went to their interviews?? I went to the interview on Oct 6th. I am not a transfer student what do they mean by "transfer student"? and does the decision process really take that long??

thanx!!!!!!!

Yay for SDN and saving our sanities. I got the email, too, and did a double take when I saw it was from UI. Here's to next week, hopefully!

Hey,

I just received this email from [email protected], it says "As a transfer student, no admission decision will be made on your application until January 31, 2011."

Has anyone been getting this after they went to their interviews?? I went to the interview on Oct 6th. I am not a transfer student what do they mean by "transfer student"? and does the decision process really take that long??

thanx!!!!!!!

It was a mistake. No worries!

I have not interviewed there nor do I have an invite yet. I guess everyone got it.

Hey,

thanx!!!!!!!

Hey, I got the same thing. It was sent to us on accident; it's meant for undergrad transfer students so just disregard it.

Yay for SDN and saving our sanities. I got the email, too, and did a double take when I saw it was from UI. Here's to next week, hopefully!

Funny... u took the words right outta my mind... I did the double take... and I was like "Oh no, they are retracting their invite - they changed their mind" lol...

good for SDN though, I'm not losing my mind, lol.

Did anyone NOT get that e-mail?

That is a better question. :laugh:

Is anyone else interviewing on Oct. 20th?

They just sent this out...

Dear Simplify:

Please disregard the e-mail which you received earlier this morning. You were included in error on this mailing. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Thank you for your understanding.

Oh SDN, what would I do without you? :love:

Man, Iowa is absolutely dead set on ignoring me. Been complete since 7/25 and not a single peep from this school...well except for the lovely "transfer student, please send us your updated grades" email present this morning.

So, does anyone remember from their interview day what they mentioned about acceptances going out? I know last year people started to get them in the mail around 10/21. I though I recalled from my day that they had said they would sit down and *start* reviewing on the 15th, but that can't be right! It had to be - they will mail all those juicy acceptances out on the 15th, right? :laugh:

So, does anyone remember from their interview day what they mentioned about acceptances going out? I know last year people started to get them in the mail around 10/21. I though I recalled from my day that they had said they would sit down and *start* reviewing on the 15th, but that can't be right! It had to be - they will mail all those juicy acceptances out on the 15th, right? :laugh:

I'm pretty sure they start reviewing before the 15th of October. I think a good guideline would probably be to expect a decision around a month after your interview.

I interviewed earlier this week. I think I was the only OOS applicant there that day. Very impressed with both the school and the city. I like small towns and having a great medical school in a small town is a rarity. I also walked around town/campus at night and felt very safe. Moved to the top spot on my list. A very cool place to go to medical school.:cool:

I'm pretty sure they start reviewing before the 15th of October. I think a good guideline would probably be to expect a decision around a month after your interview.

Just an fyi on how the review process works at iowa, once your file is complete and you have interviewed you get put into a list, from there the admissions director will choose about 25 people to go to the subcommitte (its my understanding that other than looking for applicants who are qualified along with some diversity their is no "formula" in deciding who goes to the subcomittee) The subcomittee has 5 or 6 people who review your file if you recieve a 4/5 vote (dont recall for sure if its 3/5 or 4/5) you will be sent to the full admissions committee for a holistic review and a vote. From their you are either accepted :) or held for the final pool (im not sure if they reject at this point i dont know anyone who has been rejected until after a final review in the spring.) If you dont receive a 4/5 vote from the subcomittee you automatically get placed in the final pool and you will be reviewed in the spring. Its my understanding the committee meets weekly so everyweek you have a chance of getting viewed by the committee. My purpose in posting this is to show that you can never really know when they might look at your file. However, I think you can call and ask if it has been viewed by the committee. So hang in there guys if you havn't heard anything it doesnt mean much. Also, I interviewed last week and they said first acceptances go out this coming tuesday afternoon, (email) and this is generally how it works in the coming months, emails go out on Tuesdays.

Just an fyi on how the review process works at iowa, once your file is complete and you have interviewed you get put into a list, from there the admissions director will choose about 25 people to go to the subcommitte (its my understanding that other than looking for applicants who are qualified along with some diversity their is no "formula" in deciding who goes to the subcomittee) The subcomittee has 5 or 6 people who review your file if you recieve a 4/5 vote (dont recall for sure if its 3/5 or 4/5) you will be sent to the full admissions committee for a holistic review and a vote. From their you are either accepted :) or held for the final pool (im not sure if they reject at this point i dont know anyone who has been rejected until after a final review in the spring.) If you dont receive a 4/5 vote from the subcomittee you automatically get placed in the final pool and you will be reviewed in the spring. Its my understanding the committee meets weekly so everyweek you have a chance of getting viewed by the committee. My purpose in posting this is to show that you can never really know when they might look at your file. However, I think you can call and ask if it has been viewed by the committee. So hang in there guys if you havn't heard anything it doesnt mean much. Also, I interviewed last week and they said first acceptances go out this coming tuesday afternoon, (email) and this is generally how it works in the coming months, emails go out on Tuesdays.

This is awesome info, thanks for posting! GL everyone!

How do you know all of that information? Thanks btw.

So if you aren't initially selected for the group of 25 people chosen by the admissions director for subcommittee review, are you sent an automatic rejection or do you continue to remain on "a list" (while recent interviewees are added to it) to possibly get selected into the next group of 25 chosen for subcommittee review? Understand about the subcommittee pool and committee pool, but not clear what happens to those not making the initial 25 group cut.

So if you aren't initially selected for the group of 25 people chosen by the admissions director for subcommittee review, are you sent an automatic rejection or do you continue to remain on "a list" (while recent interviewees are added to it) to possibly get selected into the next group of 25 chosen for subcommittee review? Understand about the subcommittee pool and committee pool, but not clear what happens to those not making the initial 25 group cut.

You'll stay on the list, this is why they say its good to apply early. Early on the list is shorter, but as more and more people interview it gets longer, and most likely, more competitive.

You'll stay on the list, this is why they say its good to apply early. Early on the list is shorter, but as more and more people interview it gets longer, and most likely, more competitive.

Thanks Hawks for the clarification.

I applied MSTP at Iowa and was complete in Aug and I still havent heard anything. Has anyone else who applied MSTP gotten an interview invitation and if so did they email you?

Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.