2010-2011 Wright State Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i know they still have 2 one on one interviews. it can be be with someone from admissions or faculty. i wonder if they are open or closed file? good luck tomorrow glasshalfMD!! i guess we'll learn more about everything after your interview. :luck:

Yep, as far as I know it's one with an admissions person/faculty and then one with a second year student. There are typically 10-12 applicants per interview day. And in the past it's been open file, so I don't see why it would have changed. Thanks for the luck, I'm a little nervous! This is my first choice, after all.

I'll certainly update you all on what it was like on Thursday!! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, friends!

Had my interview yesterday and wanted to tell you all about it. It's really nothing to stress about - it seems like one of those schools that wants YOU to like THEM rather than just the other way around.

It was the very first day of interviews, so it was somewhat disorganized - plus there was a gross anatomy exam, so they had to rearrange the schedule so we were able to see the anatomy lab before the first years went in for their test. Anyway, there were 9 of us there: 3 girls, 6 guys. Everyone was from Ohio, though a few people had gone to school elsewhere.

They seemed really laid back - it was hot in the room and they were encouraging to take off our jackets and just relax which was nice. The facilities are fantastic :thumbup: and I reeeally want to make use of all the nooks and crannies for studying - I really like this school.

The interview part was, of course, a little more stressful - each interviewer came to get his/her interviewee individually. I had two older retired men. There weren't any student interviewers as they were still being trained. As far as mine went: the first had been an internist and we mainly just chatted about his kids. He started talking to me in Spanish which caught me off guard a little bit (I was a Spanish second major) but really the only question he asked me was "what's your favorite comic strip character?" - besides that it was just a conversation. The second was a little more intense (retired MD/PhD - had taught epidemiology for a while) - he intimidated me at the beginning by saying "3,000 people apply to this school every year and each class only holds 100 students; these are not good chances - sell yourself to me and tell me why you should be one of those very few selected" - WHEW! We talked about everything from books to traveling to politics to what my best friend would say about me if he called her... etc. He seemed to challenge pretty much everything I was saying, but almost in a 'this is a test' kind of way - I think he liked the fact that I remained lighthearted about it all. SO that's my little synopsis of my interviews.

Good luck to all who have an interview scheduled already and those that are still waiting - I'm pretty sure you'll be impressed with this school like I was. They really are nice people and want to do everything they can to make you comfortable. All the interviewees said they didn't really get any off the wall questions - it was all just reaffirming what's on your application. I hope to see many of you next fall! :luck:

Thanks alot for the synopsis of the interview. I have mine in 3 weeks an Im nervous. Especially because it will be the day after my birthday.Good luck everyone.:)

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats app-buddy! glad you had a good time :thumbup: and GOOD LUCK!!!!

Hi, friends!

Had my interview yesterday and wanted to tell you all about it. It's really nothing to stress about - it seems like one of those schools that wants YOU to like THEM rather than just the other way around.

It was the very first day of interviews, so it was somewhat disorganized - plus there was a gross anatomy exam, so they had to rearrange the schedule so we were able to see the anatomy lab before the first years went in for their test. Anyway, there were 9 of us there: 3 girls, 6 guys. Everyone was from Ohio, though a few people had gone to school elsewhere.

They seemed really laid back - it was hot in the room and they were encouraging to take off our jackets and just relax which was nice. The facilities are fantastic :thumbup: and I reeeally want to make use of all the nooks and crannies for studying - I really like this school.

The interview part was, of course, a little more stressful - each interviewer came to get his/her interviewee individually. I had two older retired men. There weren't any student interviewers as they were still being trained. As far as mine went: the first had been an internist and we mainly just chatted about his kids. He started talking to me in Spanish which caught me off guard a little bit (I was a Spanish second major) but really the only question he asked me was "what's your favorite comic strip character?" - besides that it was just a conversation. The second was a little more intense (retired MD/PhD - had taught epidemiology for a while) - he intimidated me at the beginning by saying "3,000 people apply to this school every year and each class only holds 100 students; these are not good chances - sell yourself to me and tell me why you should be one of those very few selected" - WHEW! We talked about everything from books to traveling to politics to what my best friend would say about me if he called her... etc. He seemed to challenge pretty much everything I was saying, but almost in a 'this is a test' kind of way - I think he liked the fact that I remained lighthearted about it all. SO that's my little synopsis of my interviews.

Good luck to all who have an interview scheduled already and those that are still waiting - I'm pretty sure you'll be impressed with this school like I was. They really are nice people and want to do everything they can to make you comfortable. All the interviewees said they didn't really get any off the wall questions - it was all just reaffirming what's on your application. I hope to see many of you next fall! :luck:

Are you OOS? I'm wondering the stats for OOS acceptances. I'm OOS and interviewing Sept 14. Also, the likelihood of acceptances after interview invites. I am really really nervous!!!

Are you OOS? I'm wondering the stats for OOS acceptances. I'm OOS and interviewing Sept 14. Also, the likelihood of acceptances after interview invites. I am really really nervous!!!

Sorry, I'm in-state.

I do know, however, that they're interviewing about 470 people and they generally accept around 250 to fill the 100 spots in the class (over 50%).

Good luck on the 14th! Don't be nervous - it'll be totally fine, and actually a fun day ;)

EDIT: Just looked up the 2007 stats for comparison:
Fall 2007 Admissions Statistics
Total admissions data 3237 applied, 447 interviewed, 220 were accepted, 100 enrolled
In-state admissions data 1080 applied, 399 interviewed, 202 were accepted, 92 enrolled
Out-state admissions data 2157 applied, 48 interviewed, 18 were accepted, 8 enrolled

So, a little over 50% for in-state, and around 40% for OOS - but I think the OOS rate has gone up since then. Anyway, good luck!

got an interview invite today... IS, but only a 28 mcat! so grateful!

Interview invite today as well (in state)!! I'm going on the 22nd of September.

Anyone else interviewing this day? If so, PM me! Excited :laugh:

Interview invite today as well (in state)!! I'm going on the 22nd of September.

Anyone else interviewing this day? If so, PM me! Excited :laugh:

How did you get the news? Status update, email or phone call?

I received an email this morning, and then called to schedule the interview

Just got the secondary!!! So excited!

I have a low MCAT, not too high of a GPA, and an out of state applicant. so I'm praying for an interview :xf::D

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview invite!!! Unfortunately I just got the email so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to schedule it, still pumped though!

Sept 14 was available when i called, but im not sure if it still is. Then the 22 was the earliest I could schedule (already have another interview on the 14th). Let me know if you go on the 22nd!

Sept 14 was available when i called, but im not sure if it still is. Then the 22 was the earliest I could schedule (already have another interview on the 14th). Let me know if you go on the 22nd!

The 14th isn't available anymore so I scheduled it for the 21st, more time to prepare I guess.

Good luck to you all that have upcoming interviews, I had one this past Wednesday and I was impressed by this school. my first interview was with an emergency medicine physician (was like having a conversation with anyone) and my second was with a retired cardiac surgeon (a lot more intense)

What exactly made it "a lot more intense?" Any off the wall questions?

my interview is this tuesday!! any interview advice from past interviewees?

2nd interview was a retired cardiothoracic surg. and he spent a lot of time looking through my amcas application, quite a bit of quiet time, and he talked quite a bit and I felt like I did not, as he asked very few questions. His final question asked if your house was on fire what 3 things would you take from your room if no one was home and there were no pets.

2nd interview was a retired cardiothoracic surg. and he spent a lot of time looking through my amcas application, quite a bit of quiet time, and he talked quite a bit and I felt like I did not, as he asked very few questions. His final question asked if your house was on fire what 3 things would you take from your room if no one was home and there were no pets.

Any more intense than that?

Yikes! I can imagine that was intense. The discrepancy between interviewers is definitely frustrating. I am sure you had a lot to say and his behavior probably came of dismissive.
Ultimately, how does one judge that particular interview?
I wish interivewing was more uniform or schools provide interviewers with some guidelines. If they didn't, can you imagine having TWO interviewers like your last one? Would an interview like that be a true representation on you?

Good luck, SNS! I hope you got my PM reply - I don't save my outgoing messages so I don't know that it sent. But I'm sure you're going to do awesome. Let's all cross our fingers for WSUBSOM Class of 2015!

:love:

Don't let sub-30 MCAT scores concern you. I know a few of my 2014 class members who scored 27 on MCAT and got accepted on 1-October. I scored 32 and got accepted on 28-July :eek: Their admissions process is kinda baffling, even to faculty around the university.

Haha, I wish I had seen this before today. Which interviewee were you? I was one of the odd people who peered through the interview room "window" while you all were waiting for them to get started.

Also, to follow up on glasshalfMD's statement about OOS acceptance rate, we had an anonymous survey and like 25% of our class is OOS (which is much higher than normal).

Also, to follow up on glasshalfMD's statement about OOS acceptance rate, we had an anonymous survey and like 25% of our class is OOS (which is much higher than normal).

smashweights,

I wonder if you knew any inside info regarding how many people from early interview dates are generally accepted on Oct 15. I guess what I am asking is this: if approximately 50% of those who are interviewed are accepted, is this proportion the same throughout the application season, or is it higher at the beginning with the tendency to taper out as time goes on?

I'm just REALLY hoping for good news one month from today - I really would love to attend this school. Also, on a related note, do you know if WSU accepts letters of intent? Because if I am accepted, I surely will attend - and I would love to let them know, but I don't want to step on toes!

Thanks, and I hope you're enjoying the beast that is gross anatomy!

They really don't accept LOI's. I went through this whole debacle last year trying to "will" my way in so to speak and was told by the BSOM secretary it will go straight into my file and the ADCOM will never see it (though this was post-waitlisting). I sent one anyway, but doubt it was noticed or did anything.
As far as admissions proportions, I've heard that WSU has sort of a "point" scale for admissions in that the ADCOM rates you in certain areas for a max of X points per area. The summation of your scores is then compared to what their "cutoff" score is for that particular time period and that the cutoff score increases as the year goes on. So if you're above the cutoff, you get an LOA. Though, the dean of admissions explicitly told me their standards do not change over the year (including for ED applicants), but I highly doubt that's the case.

I can't verify that, but I've heard it on separate occasions from a few students and non-BSOM faculty sources.

And yes, I am "enjoying" anatomy. All the ANT lectures are online so the only times you HAVE to be at school are for Team-Based Learning sessions, Intro To Clinical Med class on Fridays, and when you are scheduled to dissect. Our 2nd exam is next wed over the neck/head. Back to the cranial fossa lecture!

Any interview candidates willing to post their MCAT? I don't want to waste money on apps if I have no chance..thank you!

Any interview candidates willing to post their MCAT? I don't want to waste money on apps if I have no chance..thank you!

29S - 10 PS, 10 VR, 9 BS

and I interviewed on the very first day.

I was invited to interview on the first day. The faculty and staff there were extremely nice, including the two who interviewed me. I applied early, I think I had my secondary in the day they were sent out. I'm in state and have a 34M MCAT. I hope to hear good things in a month. Good luck to any one applying!

I have my interview on wednesday. Im soooo nervous. Any advice ppl. Im reviewing my app. But there's one extracurricular on there that I forgot I put and I dont really remember to much about it. Hope I dont get asked about it.

Anyone know how early they sent out acceptances last year?

They give out their first acceptances on October 15. They send acceptances via snail mail so they probably have them sent a couple days before the 15th.

Does WSU send a complete email?

I really wish there was a spot on the app for me to tell them that I actually used to live pretty much behind WSU when I lived in Dayton. My mom started nursing school there too. But I'm OOS now...

Does WSU send a complete email?

I really wish there was a spot on the app for me to tell them that I actually used to live pretty much behind WSU when I lived in Dayton. My mom started nursing school there too. But I'm OOS now...

I second this. I submitted my secondary on 9/8 and it said secondary received on 9/8 but I don't know if they received my letters and if I'm complete. My letters were sent out 9/12 I believe.

Im interviewing tomorrow. Sooo happy but a bit nervous. But from what Ive read about the interviews, I hope its laid back and fun. Anybody interviewing tomorrow Pm me. Im here in ohio already bored lol.

Having lived in Dayton before, keep in mind it can be grey skies for many weeks on end during winter. Buy a light box from Northern Lights to prevent SAD (seasonal affective disorder)! Use the light box for 30 minutes per day, and try to take a sunny vacation sometime during winter.

Oakwood is a super nice part of town...if you end up staying in the area long-term.

Having lived in Dayton before, keep in mind it can be grey skies for many weeks on end during winter. Buy a light box from Northern Lights to prevent SAD (seasonal affective disorder)! Use the light box for 30 minutes per day, and try to take a sunny vacation sometime during winter.

Oakwood is a super nice part of town...if you end up staying in the area long-term.

:(

Hmmm maybe that's why I've been feeling a bit blue lately... been staying indoors too much.

FYI fellow applicants,

Today is the first day that the admissions committee at WSU is meeting to decide who's in and who's out. I emailed Debbie yesterday to ask a question, and she let me know this little tidbit (and then made sure to remind me that despite meeting today, they couldn't tell any of us til Oct 15 per AMCAS rules - haha).

:luck: everyone!

to those who are interviewing:
when did you submit your secondary?
Ive been complete since August 9 and no info yet!

to those who are interviewing:
when did you submit your secondary?
Ive been complete since August 9 and no info yet!

I submitted mine the very first day it was available (7/24).

I have a friend who applied two years ago with a 33/3.75 who didn't get an interview invitation until December, even though he submitted his secondary in August. Really, it's all over the place in terms of timeline. But, I wish you luck.

Hi all,

If the committee sits down today, do yo think its only to discuss the EDP applicants or as many as they can go through?

The admit committee meets they go over the people they interviewed. There are actually 3 or 4 committees that meet and go over their students. You get ranked, from 0-5 by the committee (on many different aspects), then the dean decides what score and above will get an offer, what will get wait listed, and what score will get the ax. There is nothing you can do after your interview to help move you up the list (you did send a thank you to your interviewers! you know they volunteer their time), and they won't tell you anything before the 15th.
Good luck to everyone who is applying this round, it is brutal to have to wait, but I am in the same boat .... hoping to hear good news on the 15th.

Interviewed today! Great day, loved the school and everyone I met was super nice and laid-back...interviewed with an MS2 and an older MD. Neither grilled me at all, just had some good conversation and talked about what was on my application :)

I would lovvve to go to this school...I have a feeling the next month might be the longest one of my life :(

i wonder how our gpa and mcat are ranked....do you think there are certain ranges that get certain grading?

waiting is really tough!! hopefully it will be worth it. in my case i only have to wait til the 1st since i'm EDP.

I interviewed yesterday also. It was a great experience. I really liked my interviewers. I had a M2 and a MD. I would love to go to this school.

i iterviewed a while back and my status on the wsu website still hasn't changed....anyone else have the same issue?

They only update the the website after they make a decision. They won't update it for an interview.

Hopefully you all who interviewed Wednesday weren't to discouraged by those of us downtrodden after anatomy exam II. I feel bad that people have to interview on exam day and see everyone stressing out.

Status
Not open for further replies.