2010 Acceptance & Waitlist Thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Got the nod to go to Athens, OH. formal letter sent as scanned pdf attachment to email.

Members don't see this ad.

Um, silly question but why does everyone refer to it as Yeshiva and not Ferkauf? At my interview they all referred to it as Ferkauf, not Yeshiva. I know its owned by Yeshiva University (undergrad), and their business cards say "YU" on it. Yeshiva also owns Einstein (across the street from Ferkauf). People call it Einstein, so why is their psych school called "Yeshiva" and not "Ferkauf"? Is it because few people can't pronounce "Ferkauf"?
Is it Fur-Cuff (like in sleeves) or Fur-cough (like in sick) or Fur-K-Ow-f? (as in ow, I scrapped me knee).

It's pronounced fur-cough :) and I think people tend to refer to it as Yeshiva really for practical reasons. I don't know if you're in New York, but if you try refer to the program as Ferkauf, most people look at you with a confused look. When you try Yeshiva, you're a little more likely to get people on the same page with you. But, most of all, people recognize the Albert Einstein School of Medicine because they have far-reaching affiliations throughout the city. So, I think, even though it's similarly housed within the larger Yeshiva school, Einstein gets more name recognition.

I know it's early because the interview was just friday, but if anyone is on here who interviewed there if you would like to pm me with your POI if you interviewed. Even if you haven't heard anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello All!

Is anyone else having an issue making a final decision of where to go? And feeling guilty rejecting the schools you don't want to go to? I have three acceptances. One of which I know I don't want to go to, so I am going to send them an email later today. But I feel really bad rejecting them! They were all really nice people, it just wasn't a good fit for me.

The other two schools are really great and I can see myself being happy at both and am having a really hard time deciding between them. I made a pros and cons list and they are similar, but one does win over the other. And I know, in the end, which one i should choose, but I am having a hard time actually making the decision. Anyone else in the same boat? Or have advice?

Just got accepted to UMBC! Not my top choice, but it's my first acceptance... kind of crazy that I know that I'm starting a doctoral program in the fall at this point... it's just a matter of where (hopefully)!

Hello All!

Is anyone else having an issue making a final decision of where to go? And feeling guilty rejecting the schools you don't want to go to? I have three acceptances. One of which I know I don't want to go to, so I am going to send them an email later today. But I feel really bad rejecting them! They were all really nice people, it just wasn't a good fit for me.

The other two schools are really great and I can see myself being happy at both and am having a really hard time deciding between them. I made a pros and cons list and they are similar, but one does win over the other. And I know, in the end, which one i should choose, but I am having a hard time actually making the decision. Anyone else in the same boat? Or have advice?

Yep! Same here.

I just accepted my offer of admission to my top choice program. Its really exciting but also feels very surreal. I've been working for over 4 years towards this and its hard to believe that I've finally gotten here. Can I just say wow!? :wow:

Best of luck to all of you!

Hello All!

I don't have this problem yet but I imagine feeling the same way. Especially when we ourselves have recently been rejected.

But remember schools are used to this, they go through this every year and I doubt any would take it personally or hold it against you. I suspect they realize that the highly qualified/ desirable candidates they make offers to are likely to have many offers to choose from and may need to make decisions for more personal reasons, e.g. location. Also, if the fit isn't quite right I think they will be glad you decided early and didn't leave them hanging.
:luck:

Hello All!

I too received 3 acceptances, and pulled out of the running for the other 3 places I interviewed (felt a little guilty doing this too). Something that completely stopped me from feeling guilt ridden in any way was this: Every rejection I send out probably allows that school to let some other applicant realize their dream of entry to a Clinical PhD Program. Idealistic, I know. Perhaps no one will get the offer, but I think in most cases there is a waiting list and at the very least, I'm making someones day by rejecting that school because for all I know it could be their dream school.

Hello All!

I agree... It's like, I know I sat in front of you and explained why your program is the best fit for me and vice versa, but now that I've convinced you I'm going to reject your offer. I know that's the way the process works, but I just feel so deceitful!

Hello All!

It is absolutely difficult to reject a program and, particularly, a POI. I did it earlier this week and I sent what amounted to a "It's not you, it's me" email. I felt like I was dumping them.

The choosing is incredibly difficult though. Picking one program means closing the door on another, which is hard. Although, on the plus side, it might make someone else on this thread very happy :).

PsychGirl-- don't feel bad rejecting them! That will open up slots for those of us who are still desperately waiting. Don't worry, none of the schools are gonna have slots they cannot fill ;-)

Members don't see this ad :)
I just accepted my offer of admission to my top choice program. Its really exciting but also feels very surreal. I've been working for over 4 years towards this and its hard to believe that I've finally gotten here. Can I just say wow!? :wow:

Best of luck to all of you!

where????

Yes! I completely agree with all of you. It is totally like you are breaking up after you told them how wonderful you think they are. But I really like thinking about it as an opportunity for someone else to get into graduate school. I will try to keep that mind frame as I write the email this afternoon.

Now if I could just make a decision between the other two I will have things figured out!

Hello-
I contacted admissions this morning, interviewed Feb 17th - I was told faculty still has not met to review files and made decisions..this would be happening within a few weeks - at latest April 1st.

Oh the agony!

If we're making this an analogy about relationships then I feel like the dork in high school that has a crush on some of the hottest girls in school. For the past couple of years I have tried desperatley to get them to date me, but they never seem to pick me. I've even had a few go out on dates with me but just once and then they let me know that they've decided to date someone else. So yes if you are one of the lucky ones who has several girls after you, it may hurt their feelings a little if you reject them, but that way while they are upset they may just ask a dweeb like me to go out again. I know it's a rebound, but at this point a rebound looks like prime rib.

If we're making this an analogy about relationships then I feel like the dork in high school that has a crush on some of the hottest girls in school. For the past couple of years I have tried desperatley to get them to date me, but they never seem to pick me. I've even had a few go out on dates with me but just once and then they let me know that they've decided to date someone else. So yes if you are one of the lucky ones who has several girls after you, it may hurt their feelings a little if you reject them, but that way while they are upset they may just ask a dweeb like me to go out again. I know it's a rebound, but at this point a rebound looks like prime rib.

I think you just made my day ... almost spit out my coffee!!! :laugh:

OMG, such problems!! ;)

I would much rather have to fret over which of my many acceptances to take than to still be tweaking about getting in anywhere.

It's like you all are trying to decide which color Bentley to drive to work today and some of us are still waiting for the bus. or something... haha.

:p

It's pronounced fur-cough :) and I think people tend to refer to it as Yeshiva really for practical reasons. I don't know if you're in New York, but if you try refer to the program as Ferkauf, most people look at you with a confused look. When you try Yeshiva, you're a little more likely to get people on the same page with you. But, most of all, people recognize the Albert Einstein School of Medicine because they have far-reaching affiliations throughout the city. So, I think, even though it's similarly housed within the larger Yeshiva school, Einstein gets more name recognition.

Thanks :)! It was just something I was wondering about... at least I can call it Yeshiva and I'll be understood... got to remember that its "cough"... so, as psychologists we'll be dealing with a different type of sick people sometimes... that might help me remember it! :)

Hello-
I contacted admissions this morning, interviewed Feb 17th - I was told faculty still has not met to review files and made decisions..this would be happening within a few weeks - at latest April 1st.

Oh the agony!

Which program??? Not the PsyD clinical, right? I dont think I can wait that long! AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!:eek:

I agree... It's like, I know I sat in front of you and explained why your program is the best fit for me and vice versa, but now that I've convinced you I'm going to reject your offer. I know that's the way the process works, but I just feel so deceitful!

Yeah, but they kinda do the same thing to applicants sometimes. Talk up the program as a good fit for someone but end up rejecting that candidate.

I too received 3 acceptances, and pulled out of the running for the other 3 places I interviewed (felt a little guilty doing this too). Something that completely stopped me from feeling guilt ridden in any way was this: Every rejection I send out probably allows that school to let some other applicant realize their dream of entry to a Clinical PhD Program. Idealistic, I know. Perhaps no one will get the offer, but I think in most cases there is a waiting list and at the very least, I'm making someones day by rejecting that school because for all I know it could be their dream school.

Yes and as someone on two waitlists and no other chance of acceptance, it could be my dream !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hello:

It is absolutely difficult to reject a program and, particularly, a POI. I did it earlier this week and I sent what amounted to a "It's not you, it's me" email. I felt like I was dumping them.

The choosing is incredibly difficult though. Picking one program means closing the door on another, which is hard. Although, on the plus side, it might make someone else on this thread very happy :).

So, is the consensus that an email is appropriate for "rejecting" an acceptance? I was thinking that these relationships would be far enough advanced that they warrant a break-up call. You know, the old Seinfeld standard... Have most people emailed or called?

So, is the consensus that an email is appropriate for "rejecting" an acceptance? I was thinking that these relationships would be far enough advanced that they warrant a break-up call. You know, the old Seinfeld standard... Have most people emailed or called?

I would say (for what my opinion is worth) that an email/letter to the DCT is always warranted to formally reject, and that if you have an actual relationship with your POI, then call, otherwise email is fine.

No, not that kind of relationship. You know what I mean.

You need to do both:

The Council of University Directors of Clinical Psychology's Guidelines for Graduate School :
http://www.temple.edu/psychology/Cli...guidelines.pdf (This link isn't working. I don't know why. But, you should be able to find the guidelines by searching for them on this forum.)

If you have 1) been offered admission at one of the other universities, or 2) are listed high on the waitlist, you need to CALL the university and tell them you have accepted another offer. Then, you need to follow up with a written communication of the same within 24 hours.

If you are on the alternate list, but not high on it, you need to send a letter to the program within 48 hours.

Yes and as someone on two waitlists and no other chance of acceptance, it could be my dream !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hello:

umm, I'm only on one waitlist now. Just informed by my POI at the other school that the first applicant accepted, took the offer (only one spot up for grabs). :(

umm, I'm only on one waitlist now. Just informed by my POI at the other school that the first applicant accepted, took the offer (only one spot up for grabs). :(

That's stressful! I wish you luck with your other waitlist.

Hamsterpants, I am in the exact same position! Just got taken off one of 2 waitlists so down to one waitlist (at the school I really want to go too). Hold on, there is still hope for the both of us!:xf:

Hi Hamster! I am also in wait list limbo. I hope it all works out and you get a much needed break from the stress of the psych grad school application process.

Hamsterpants, I am in the exact same position! Just got taken off one of 2 waitlists so down to one waitlist (at the school I really want to go too). Hold on, there is still hope for the both of us!:xf:

Thanks Joe, you too! We only need one.

And the school's whose list I am still on, is my top choice too!

Thanks Joe, you too! We only need one.

And the school's whose list I am still on, is my top choice too!

Well, that's good news. I am still betting that everything works out for you, and you get into your top choice. It doesn't matter if you're accepted first or accepted last. If you get in, you get in. : )

:luck::luck::luck::luck::luck:
:luck::luck::luck::luck::luck:
A field of four-leaf clovers for you.

Have a great deal of people heard back from Catholic after interviews? If you have, would you mind letting me know?

Thanks!!

don't give up hope! graduate schools are like husbands, you only need one!

Congratulations to everyone who received acceptances!!! Whoo Hoo!

Anyone heard of any offers being extended by MSU's clinical program? I also received the same promising but vague email by the admission chair.

Anyone heard of any offers being extended by MSU's clinical program? I also received the same promising but vague email by the admission chair.

I got the same email and, like you, I am still in limbo as to where I stand with them.

Does anyone know are we supposed to continue living during this waiting period? Because my day is a constant checking of my inbox, checking on here, checking missed calls. I am working but I feel it is in a dreamlike state. The Iphone makes things worse because I can do this all day no matter where I am.

My Top Choice - Fordham Counseling Psych PhD program....I'm soooo excited!!! :D I found out in the library and had to stifle a scream lol. I only applied to two schools straight out of undergrad....I'm too excited to make sense!

Does anyone know are we supposed to continue living during this waiting period? Because my day is a constant checking of my inbox, checking on here, checking missed calls. I am working but I feel it is in a dreamlike state. The Iphone makes things worse because I can do this all day no matter where I am.

Seriously. I feel that way and I was TOLD that there would be no word either way at least until Friday for the first of my interviews...I keep thinking, did they REALLY mean friday? Tuesday is close to friday....lemme go check my email and student doctor for the 10th time today...:scared:

Edit: After posting that I checked my email for the 11th time and found a reply from my POI to my thank you email I sent after our interview. He called me a wonderfully talented person. I'm blushing, literally. He likes me! Unless he was just being polite, lol. Now purty purty please give me an offer!! This school is my top choice!! *continues to die with anxiety and impatience*

Last edited:
Oh man! Do you think it's therefore appropriate for others to contact their POI?

Well 1) I had already found out someone else had received the acceptance 2) it has been a while, 3) I wanted to get an idea of my place on the list... its up to you as a personal choice of course but I say if its been long enough go for it

Hi,
They haven't met to review files yet...Oh, man. It looks like we have a wait in store for us.

i know its only been about a week and a half since my interview but any one else anxiously waiting for loyola chicago? what a great program!

My Top Choice - Fordham Counseling Psych PhD program....I'm soooo excited!!! :D I found out in the library and had to stifle a scream lol. I only applied to two schools straight out of undergrad....I'm too excited to make sense!

Congrats!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.