2011-2012 Cornell University (Weill) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One didn't get an interview... the other one not sure... he was in NYC for two weeks for interviews but I'm not sure if he had a Cornell interview or not actually....

From what I've read, it seems like the rejections are pre-interview at this point.

Members don't see this ad.

From what I've read, it seems like the rejections are pre-interview at this point.
Actually, I just checked the MD-only application process. You probably won't hear back (at least acceptance) any time soon. According to their website, "Weill Cornell Medical College does not have rolling admissions. The class is selected in March"

I think Cornell accepts a few people in December and the rest of the class in March.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, I just checked the MD-only application process. You probably won't hear back (at least acceptance) any time soon. According to their website, "Weill Cornell Medical College does not have rolling admissions. The class is selected in March"

Yes, but in their info packet from the interview, they said that a small number of applicants are accepted in December. I have no idea how many are accepted though.

Rejected today. Complete mid October. Third rejection thus far, with no interviews invites. My stats are good (39N, all A+ transcript except an A- in theatre lol), and I'm a nontraditional applicant (former professional ballet dancer). I'm not sure if it's that I applied super late, or that my secondaries are lacking. So frustrated at the moment.

I'm sorry to hear that...when did you apply?

Rejected today. Complete mid October. Third rejection thus far, with no interviews invites. My stats are good (39N, all A+ transcript except an A- in theatre lol), and I'm a nontraditional applicant (former professional ballet dancer). I'm not sure if it's that I applied super late, or that my secondaries are lacking. So frustrated at the moment.

jesus christ...

Are you surprised that I'm getting so many rejections, or implying that I should get religious? (lol)
On another note, I'm new to SD and am not wanting to clog up the Cornell forum with my tale of woe, so is there a forum designed to help applicants troubleshoot?

Sorry to hear about your hardships this application cycle, your numbers are very strong. How are your extra-curricular activities? Schools tend to value those as well. You can post your stats, ECs, and info on the "what are my chances?" sub-forum where others can tell you why you might be experiencing these rejections. They're really helpful, I think Catalystik is an adcom so her advice is sound. Good luck and hope things get better!

So guys...anyone think the December acceptances are coming out this week?

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview Invite!

33/3.99, complete mid august. Looking at January dates.

Congrats, guys! Hmm, my status is still "Admissions committee review rescheduled," so I suppose I won't hear back until March.

Congrats, guys! Hmm, my status is still "Admissions committee review rescheduled," so I suppose I won't hear back until March.

Really? Mine just says "Thanks for interviewing at WMC. The class is selected in mid-March and all decisions are mailed then."

Got the acceptance email today as well, around the same time as the above posters!! For the MD program. Interviewed early November. So excited, still in shock!!! :D

Accepted as well!! I basically went nuts when I got that email.

Congrats to all those who were admitted in the December batch! For the rest of y'all, try not to worry too much: the majority of my class (including myself) was admitted in March or later. (And no, I don't know how many students the Admissions Committee formally admits in December, but I gather it's only a handful.)

For those who have upcoming interviews, I just want to reiterate that if you need a place to stay, you should contact the Admissions Office about the availability of a student host. It's not always possible, but they do their very best to set people up with 1st years, particularly if you give them enough notice.

As always, if you have any questions, feel free to post 'em here. (It may take us a few days to answer, as I doubt any of us check this every day, but it's the holidays, so we've got a little more time now.)

Congrats y'all! Come to revisit weekend, it's a hoot.

Congrats to all those who were admitted in the December batch! For the rest of y'all, try not to worry too much: the majority of my class (including myself) was admitted in March or later. (And no, I don't know how many students the Admissions Committee formally admits in December, but I gather it's only a handful.)

For those who have upcoming interviews, I just want to reiterate that if you need a place to stay, you should contact the Admissions Office about the availability of a student host. It's not always possible, but they do their very best to set people up with 1st years, particularly if you give them enough notice.

As always, if you have any questions, feel free to post 'em here. (It may take us a few days to answer, as I doubt any of us check this every day, but it's the holidays, so we've got a little more time now.)

And if you don't hear back from them on a host, check to make sure they got your email... I sent mine responding to their questions but evidently it didn't go through.

Hey guys,
I wanted current medical students to chime in these questions (taken from MikeS 78th thread of what's important in medical school)

1)What is the 3rd year like and how is it structured?

2) Where do 3rd year evaluations come from?

3) How are medical students protected from scut?

4) How receptive is the administation to fixing problems and/or disciplining out of line behavior, espcially from residents?

5) how good is this school at focusing on the bread and butter?

Thanks in advance

I will be interviewing in NYC in a couple of weeks and given the distance (from Arkansas) I was hoping to consolidate my interviews. Does anyone know how Cornell responds to In The Area letters/emails?

I have good to decent stats (39/4.0) so I think I have at least some chance of being granted an interview

Last edited:
They accept in area emails, but that don't guarantee anything. I sent one a while ago (2 months ago) and they said they received it, but I still haven't received an interview.

Been complete since late July and no II yet or rejection. I feel the rejection coming soon :p Anyone else in same boat?

Been complete since late July and no II yet or rejection. I feel the rejection coming soon :p Anyone else in same boat?

yup! except I was complete in mid august. we definitely passed a cut or two so I'm trying to remain hopeful haha

yup! except I was complete in mid august. we definitely passed a cut or two so I'm trying to remain hopeful haha

Same here--been waiting since September. I'm hoping that having survived this long means something good (e.g. an II) is on the way! :xf:

Just got an interview invite today. Don't give up yet.

+1! It's funny because earlier I was going to write +5 after not hearing anything since August, but I am happy to report that I did receive an interview! Those who haven't been rejected yet probably stand a great chance for receiving one as well. :)

Sigh. Just got the pre-interview rejection e-mail. It's my first rejection so it stings. Good luck to everyone else!

Sigh. Just got the pre-interview rejection e-mail. It's my first rejection so it stings. Good luck to everyone else!

I'm sorry! I have yet to receive an interview invitation or a rejection. Maybe I'll receive news one way or the other in the next batch of decisions.

Congrats to everyone with interviews!

I'm sorry! I have yet to receive an interview invitation or a rejection. Maybe I'll receive news one way or the other in the next batch of decisions.

Congrats to everyone with interviews!

Nothing yet for me either, since end 'o September. Good luck to all of you--Cornell's random hits of II's and rejections are making this whole thing really scary and stressful.

Status
Not open for further replies.