2011-2012 Cornell University (Weill) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
those who recently received interviews, around what dates were you offered opportunities? you don't have to be exact, but a time range would be very helpful.

They had most T,W or R in november available.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh man, plane tickets are so expensive...any suggestions on the best way to get from CA to Cornell and back with a morning interview? Ends around 2:15 or so, I think...

Congrats! Good luck, the first one is the hardest because you're so nervous. I'd say just be yourself, but minimize weaknesses, maximize strengths. I messed up my first interview because I was so nervous that I didn't even come off as myself.

Also, when were you complete?

I was completed End of Sep.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tough to recommend cornell as a med school. Here are a few reasons:
-Pharm/Microbio are not taught adequately during the first two years. We teach it to ourselves by cramming it in for our board study... but when we go on to the floors or graduate we still don't know it. Faculty will say they don't teach to the boards... that's like saying we don't believe in evidence based medicine.
-Students aren't really welcome in the hospital. Apparently the hospital has a high number of UTIs. Somehow it was concluded that the med students were placing Foley's non-sterilely. There is a scrub shortage in the hospital and students are somehow to blame. Solution: 3rd year med students hand in an ID to get a pair of scrubs each day. The med school's administration seems to think this is perfectly justified.
-Clinical scheduling of clerkships is a mess. Not for the core clerkships, but the annoying 2-week courses needed to graduate. For a while there were fewer slots offered for these classes than there were graduating members in the class. Students were emailing begging/bribing to switch slots so that they could graduate or complete away rotations.
-Mentorship. And this is the big one and something I didn't pay attention to. There is little to no faculty ownership/mentorship of the students. Even for those (and we all do) make serious efforts to reach out and find mentors, this is incredibly poor. A dean who we hardly know writes our dean's letter, while at other schools your faculty advisor or someone who has met with you and knows you personally writes these letters. You might not think this is a big deal, but it is. Compare Cornell's match list to say Yale's or Columbia's… there is a reason why they place more students into the most competitive residencies.
Ultimately, is cornell the worst place to do med school? No – it's not bad. Just know what you're getting yourself. Ask hard questions on the interview trail and keep your eyes open. There are lots of other great places to be trained. –Current 4th year at WMC… kind of tired, so this is a little disorganized, but msg me if you have questions.

-Students aren’t really welcome in the hospital. Apparently the hospital has a high number of UTIs. Somehow it was concluded that the med students were placing Foley’s non-sterilely.

I heard this at Columbia too. But then all students went through simulation training for Foley placement and now they're allowed to do it and the UTI rates went down?

Sorry if this question's been asked before, but what is the best way to get back from the school to laguardia airport? I looked up this supershuttle thing, but it only goes in the morning...so...cab? Does the admissions office have a list of numbers to call for that?

Sorry if this question's been asked before, but what is the best way to get back from the school to laguardia airport? I looked up this supershuttle thing, but it only goes in the morning...so...cab? Does the admissions office have a list of numbers to call for that?
you dont have to call a cab, just walk out the door and there are endless cabs on york and you can hail one within seconds.
if you want to look for other options, this is a really handy way to navigate the city
http://tripplanner.mta.info/MyTrip/ui_web/customplanner/tripplanner.aspx.

Does anyone know about the December 15th acceptance date? I would like set my interview date so that I'm considered for acceptance then BUT my I'm going to be in NY anyway on the 12th and don't know if it's worth hanging around NYC for 2 weeks.

Does anyone know about the December 15th acceptance date? I would like set my interview date so that I'm considered for acceptance then BUT my I'm going to be in NY anyway on the 12th and don't know if it's worth hanging around NYC for 2 weeks.

uh oh, am i missing something? :confused: thought they didn't send out acceptances until march...

uh oh, am i missing something? :confused: thought they didn't send out acceptances until march...

I just checked the packets they gave us in the folder on interview day and JSU is right:

"The Committee meets on a regular basis and discusses the applicants who have been interviewed. Decisions regarding acceptance are made by consensus of the Committee. While some students are accepted in mid-December, most are accepted in early March."

They didn't mention anything about it during the interview day though.

I just checked the packets they gave us in the folder on interview day and JSU is right:

"The Committee meets on a regular basis and discusses the applicants who have been interviewed. Decisions regarding acceptance are made by consensus of the Committee. While some students are accepted in mid-December, most are accepted in early March."

They didn't mention anything about it during the interview day though.

I did some snooping through last year's thread and it seems like the December acceptances are actually offered late in the month, like around Christmas-time, rather than mid-December, although the decisions might be made in mid-December.

Members don't see this ad :)
A little birdie told me (and I therefore have no idea how accurate this is) that ~15 of an eventual 200 acceptances go out in December.

Basically, the school is non-rolling with a minor acceptance date in mid-December and a major one in March. So I would be able to interview in December or January (or even February) and have the same chance at acceptance?

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I just wanted to let you know never to give up. I was complete early July at Cornell and I hadn't heard anything till yesterday when I got an II.

The interview dates they were offering were anywhere from in a week to in three weeks, so I feel that they just going about it slower than the rolling schools, so don't give up hope.

Hey guys,

I just wanted to let you know never to give up. I was complete early July at Cornell and I hadn't heard anything till yesterday when I got an II.

The interview dates they were offering were anywhere from in a week to in three weeks, so I feel that they just going about it slower than the rolling schools, so don't give up hope.

congrats man, gives me hope

Hey guys,

Yay, hope! :thumbup: Congrats on the II! I just sent an in the area email as I'll be at NYMC on Dec 19, but I'm worried it'll be too close to xmas for it to work :/

I'd greatly appreciate it if some current students could weigh in on some Q's I have regarding WCMC.

1. Is the curriculum systems-based? Also, is there anything else a prospective student should take note of? Any PBL?

2. How easy is it to get into research? For some schools you're basically on your own, whereas other schools have programs that connect you with faculty who have already outlined projects for med students to take on.

Thanks.

I really hope I hear something about my In the Area email soon. East Coast trip in 2 weeks.

I'd greatly appreciate it if some current students could weigh in on some Q's I have regarding WCMC.

1. Is the curriculum systems-based? Also, is there anything else a prospective student should take note of? Any PBL?

2. How easy is it to get into research? For some schools you're basically on your own, whereas other schools have programs that connect you with faculty who have already outlined projects for med students to take on.

Thanks.
the following is from Kuune, a first year and very helpful.

Hey everyone! I'm a first year at Cornell, happy to answer any questions you guys have. I wanted to address some of the questions that I've read in this thread, even if it's an old question.

I was shocked to see the rumor about Cornell students infighting. I feel like my class is ridiculously close and supportive. People email out their study sheets and share flashcards before quizzes. We have study groups for the assignments where we all share answers. I think a big part of it is the shift to pass/fail that occured just two years ago. Maybe the old rumors were true, but definitely not anymore.

Reasons to like Cornell? I think Cornell really stood out as a school that encourages their students to pursue non-academic activities. Our classes are over by 1pm every day except for Thursday, when we have our clinical training days. This means every Mon, Tues, Wed and Friday afternoon is free for you to attend clubs, do research, hang out, party (we party a lot). A lot of us nap >.>

We only have about 3 hours of lecture a day (excluding the clinical thursdays), and either PBL, journal club, or small group (which is going over assignment problems as a group). The PBL is a lot of fun. We meet on Mon, Wed and Friday. Each day, we get additional information about a patient with various issues, go home to research topics about the case, and present during the next class. It's really not a huge learning tool, and for me it's more if a break from lecture, but it's really good at priming us to approach diagnosis like doctors.

The location - Cornell is in arguably the best part of NYC. I went to undergrad in NYC and lived here for a year. Aside from being slightly far from a subway (a 15 minute walk), we are in the safest, most residential, poshiest part of Manhattan. This does mean everything here is expensive, unfortunately. Eating out all the time is not a good idea, and the closest grocery store is Food Emporium, which any New Yorker knows is stupidly overpriced. There is a Fairway within walking distance, and a Costco and Target within an easy subway/bus ride. We are walking distance to Central Park and Museum Mile. Most importantly, we have tons of fun bars in the area, and a short cab ride from the lower east side.

An insider tip for interviewees - Contact the administration for student hosting. It does exist, and most students here would love to host. The problem is that all the MS1s live in single room dorms, (it's not as bad as it sounds, trust me!!!) so they don't advertise it. If anyone is not getting a response from the admins, send me a PM. The hosting is organized by one of my classmates. You will need to bring something to sleep on though, unless your host is one of the few who have an air mattress.

One final addition, Cornell in general has a ton of money. This mean money to spend on giving its students amazing opportunities. They guarantee funding to all students who want to go abroad their first summer. There is a global health elective which is student run, and they bring in big names in global health (I think Paul Farmer is coming this week. nbd) to lecture every week. There is also a new pilot elective called ITEACH where medical students meet with nursing, public health and social work students from Hunter University to discuss integrated patient care. There are several medicine and humanities electives (Music and Medicine being one of them) which integrates opera, writing or visual arts with medicine.

I hope that gives everyone a bit more to think about when considering Cornell, and again, I'm open to questions either on the forum or through PM!

Best of luck to everybody!

Edit: Written from my iPad (which Cornell gives to all MS1s for free) - **** yeah!

Hi guys,
Is cornell receptive to in the area email?
Thanks,

Thanks! um...generally is 1 month sufficient? I never wrote an in the area before but this will be the second time I'm traveling to nyc, so i thought i might give it a shot

Thanks! um...generally is 1 month sufficient? I never wrote an in the area before but this will be the second time I'm traveling to nyc, so i thought i might give it a shot
Yes one month is fine. They understand that traveling can be very expensive and will try to accommodate if it is possible.

I have a quick question: My application was completed in like mid july and still no answer from them. Can anyone weigh in on what this means? Are they just waiting to get all the applications so they can decide if they want to reject or interview me? I think 10 weeks is certainly enough time that they've definitely seen my application. If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate it!

I have a quick question: My application was completed in like mid july and still no answer from them. Can anyone weigh in on what this means? Are they just waiting to get all the applications so they can decide if they want to reject or interview me? I think 10 weeks is certainly enough time that they've definitely seen my application. If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate it!

I was complete 7/6 and just got an II like 2 weeks ago. This process doesn't make sense and it seems like AdComs move slower than molasses... you can still get an II, even if you've been waiting for a long time.

Thanks for the hope! haha I haven't heard anything from them.

Mind me asking, what are your stats?

Well I was rejected today. I was complete early October. I went to Cornell for undergrad so I don't know if they go through those applications any quicker, but I'd say if you're still in the running then it is a good thing since they interview until they accept most of the class in March.

I was also complete in July and got an II last week. Just give it time. 3.95+/33

I just got an interview today. I had submitted my secondary just slightly over a week ago. Im so nervous and excited. It definatly didnt hurt my chances that I spent a summer doing research at Cornell.

Got an interview invite on Friday (short notice, they want me to come by as soon as next week till Dec. 15)

3.5 gpa/33 mcat/URM

Can some tell me when the last set of interviews are given out (maybe from years past?). Only because I submitted June/July time and haven't heard back.....

Can some tell me when the last set of interviews are given out (maybe from years past?). Only because I submitted June/July time and haven't heard back.....

I'm in the same situation man. I have no idea how it works and why they take so insanely long.

I know some colleges wait until they've looked at all their applications before they send out rejections or last minute interviews.

Thoughts people?
gif,GIF89a%12%00%12%00%B3%00%00%FF%FF%FF%F7%F7%EF%CC%CC%CC%BD%BE%BD%99%99%99ZYZRUR%00%00%00%FE%01%02%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%21%F9%04%04%14%00%FF%00%2C%00%00%00%00%12%00%12%00%00%04X0%C8I%2B%1D8%EB%3D%E4%00%60%28%8A%85%17%0AG*%8C%40%19%7C%00J%08%C4%B1%92%26z%C76%FE%02%07%C2%89v%F0%7Dz%C3b%C8u%14%82V5%23o%A7%13%19L%BCY-%25%7D%A6l%DF%D0%F5%C7%02%85%5B%D82%90%CBT%87%D8i7%88Y%A8%DB%EFx%8B%DE%12%01%00%3B

Well some of the posts above mention people being rejected so, obviously cornell is handing out some rejections. I guess were just on hold.

So I put my name in for a student host but haven't heard anything yet... does anyone that currently goes to Cornell want to host me on the 12th of December? Please please please and thank yoU!

So I put my name in for a student host but haven't heard anything yet... does anyone that currently goes to Cornell want to host me on the 12th of December? Please please please and thank yoU!

I interviewed on a Tuesday and didn't hear back about hosting until the Friday before. Maybe make alternate arrangements, but keep waiting in case a host comes through? My host at Cornell was probably one of the best I had -- really went out of his way to make sure I had the best experience possible.

My post-interview status changed to "Admissions committee review reschedule"... dundundun!

+2 i too would like to know this :D

I sent them an update pre-interview and they replied the next day that it was added to my file. You can find the email address and instructions in your complete email!

Rejected today, been complete since 7/6.

Was hoping the long wait would mean good news.

Really excited about my upcoming interview :) . Did anyone have a pressure interview? It looks like there were a few of those in the interview feedback area.

Last edited:
Interview invite just now! I was complete all the way back in late June :laugh:, so they definitely do keep reviewing your file if you haven't been heard back.

Probably will be withdrawing this interview though, so good luck to whoever takes my place! :thumbup:

Interview invite, too! I'm very happily suprised. I was complete sept 12.

I sent them an update pre-interview and they replied the next day that it was added to my file. You can find the email address and instructions in your complete email!

Greetings!

Thank you for your application update. The information reached our office and has been added to your file.

In the future, please send any such updates to [email protected], attaching your update as a Word or PDF file with the file name in the following format: lastname_firstname_AAMCID_ date. You will receive a confirmation email. Please do not include other queries or information in the email; questions should be directed to our main email address.

Thank you for your interest in Weill Cornell.

rejected...i have to admit my secondary was one of the first written and was pretty bad...was pretty ashamed of it

Status
Not open for further replies.