2011-2012 Jefferson Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I read somewhere that Jefferson AVERAGES your MCAT scores? Is this true?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
for those flying in to Philadelphia in the upcoming weeks, what is your itinerary? Are you planning to arrive the day before and leave the night of the interview day?

I have never been to Philadelphia and actually decided to explore the city a bit, so I plan on having a full day dedicated to being a tourist and exploring the surroundings. What about you?

I love philly (currently living much more south but from up north) and actually have another interview the monday before so I'm flying in on Tuesday early AM (arrive at 9ish) and not flying out till late Wednesday...it's really a fun city and there are really cool historical sites. I'm personally trying to spend an extra day (if possible) at most places that are more than driving distance away so I get a good feel and can avoid second look visits if I get accepted (due to financial situation- flying is getting to be super expensive! This trip alone was 1K, granted for 2 interviews, but still.
good luck on your interview!

What was the highlight of your experience in medical school the first year? second year? third year? and fourth year?

How is the surrounding area in philadelphia? My PI did his post doc in Philadelphia and says the meaningless violence amongst the surrounding community can get out of hand at times. How true is this? does it affect you as a student?

I'll post highlights when I'm not exhaused from call, but let me say that Jefferson is in a GREAT neighborhood. Very little crime, very safe. Historic brownstones all over, and lots of great little bars and restaurants. I honestly have yet to encounter a med school (from both travels, med school interviews, and residency interviews) that was in a better urban location combining entertainment and affordability. (NYU an Northwestern were both better city neighborhoods but you need a trust fund to live near those hospitals)

Hi again guys, here's my little summary of the Jefferson/Philly area from a first year just finishing up my first month and a half of living here. While Jefferson is still technically in Center City, it's towards the eastern end of it and is really in kind of a hybrid area between CC and Old City. That part of it is really great because you still get the busy vibe and plethora of restaurants and bars of the downtown area, yet there's also a sense of a residential neighborhood since, as mentioned above in this thread, there are awesome historical brownstones starting on the south edge of campus as you start getting into Old City. As a person who has never lived in an urban setting before, I've found it super easy and exciting living here. I love finding new bars and restaurants around every corner and have quickly found my little corner store and dry cleaners etc., all within a block from my apartment.

As far as actual sights go, we're only about 5 blocks from Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell. If you keep walking from there, Penn's Landing is an additional 5 blocks or so. Also, South St. is about 6 blocks south of campus and has a lot of interesting, eclectic shops and restaurants. Reading Terminal Market, recently featured on Man vs. Food, is about 4 blocks up 12th St. The heart of downtown Philadelphia starts about 5 or 6 blocks west and there are lots of cool shops down Chestnut pretty much all the way through. Also, as I mentioned before, there are restaurants and bars stacked on top of each other around every corner. Philadelphia is a very food and drink-friendly city, happy hour is a sacred thing that basically everybody honors. Center City Sips is just ending this week but it ran all summer: for every Wednesday all summer participating restaurants had half price appetizers, $4 cocktails, $3 wines, and $2 beers after 5pm. Coming up in a few weeks is restaurant week: http://www.centercityphila.org/life/RestaurantWeek.php

Anywho, sorry for the long message but, as you can tell, Philly has gotten into my blood. I'd say that everyone I've talked to is loving it so far. Granted, we're only a few weeks in, but I don't think too much will change going forward. There are some faults that are expected with a major city, i.e. expensive and ticket-happy parking, but the positives outweigh things like that. Feel free to leave any specific questions, there are students who still peek in here every once in awhile. Good luck on those apps/interviews!

Anywho, sorry for the long message but, as you can tell, Philly has gotten into my blood. I'd say that everyone I've talked to is loving it so far. Granted, we're only a few weeks in, but I don't think too much will change going forward. There are some faults that are expected with a major city, i.e. expensive and ticket-happy parking, but the positives outweigh things like that. Feel free to leave any specific questions, there are students who still peek in here every once in awhile. Good luck on those apps/interviews!

Don't remind me lol...the PPA ticketed me TWICE last week for the same offense (didn't even know that this was allowed; I'm kicking myself for not checking my car). I guess I was bound to get a ticket sometime though after parking in the city for the last 3 years. Now's just really not a great time when I'm booking planes/buses/hotels for interviews and need to save my $$$.

Besides the parking, though, I love Philadelphia. It's not as overwhelming as NYC, but there's still a lot to do! We have awesome sports too! :D Go Phillies/Eagles/Flyers!

For people who have gotten interview invites, what are you guys doing as far as staying in Philadelphia? It seems like JMC is in a very expensive area, and all the hotels around there are very expensive.

you crash on our couches lol

that seemed to happen when i was typing an essay into the "additional info" field. i asked the admissions office and they told me to email them a document that includes my "additional info" and separately submit the app with the essay field blank. it worked for me!

Our IT department isn't exactly the cream of the crop haha

-Jeff student

"Decision Pending" limbo forever now.

zach-galifianakis-crying-reaction-gif.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
Ive been decision pending since June 23rd. Anyone else been decision pending for that long?

+8 on decision pending.

glad I am at least complete though.

very excited - seems like they have a well-planned, eventful day for interviewers.

...so everyone's essays got completely screwed up?

I went to log in to my status page and it won't let me because my account has been locked due to unsuccessful login attempts. What the heck. Has anyone else had this happen to them, and if so what did you do?

EDIT: Never mind, it's back open. That was weird..

I have been pending since I completed everything on June 27th. It is better than a reject, but I hope I do not stay in limbo all application cycle.

I have been pending since I completed everything on June 27th. It is better than a reject, but I hope I do not stay in limbo all application cycle.

Jeff does silent rejections, right? Meaning that a lot of people will be in limbo the entire cycle, until admissions finish interviews.

Jeff does silent rejections, right? Meaning that a lot of people will be in limbo the entire cycle, until admissions finish interviews.

Sooooooo lame.

Status changed from Decision to Pending to Interview Decision Pending. I don't know if that's good or bad (I'm guessing bad) but at least it changed to something and I know my app hasn't just been sitting there.

Status changed from Decision to Pending to Interview Decision Pending. I don't know if that's good or bad (I'm guessing bad) but at least it changed to something and I know my app hasn't just been sitting there.

yea i actually think that's a good sign maybe? unlike my "decision pending" for the past two months..

Whoa. I am 'Interview Decision Pending' now too. I was 'Decision Pending' since late June.

dang it, you guys got my hopes up! Still decision pending...

Haha, sorry! I have no idea what the switch means, though.
I've been at "Interview Decision Pending" from "Decision Pending" for a long time...definitely at least a week and a half. This is kind of leading me to believe its a "we looked at your application already and we'll consider you more seriously later," type thing. Could be wrong...hopefully.

I've been at "Interview Decision Pending" from "Decision Pending" for a long time...definitely at least a week and a half. This is kind of leading me to believe its a "we looked at your application already and we'll consider you more seriously later," type thing. Could be wrong...hopefully.

Well, time will tell. Patience is key. Good luck to you.

it means they reviewed your file. a little vague but they do prioritize after giving you that status. some received invites, some (like me) have not. some may in the future, others will be rejected later.

They changed mine FROM Interview Status Pending to Decision Pending. What do you think THAT means? Happen to anyone else?

Last edited:
They changed mine FROM Interview Status Pending to Decision Pending. What do you think THAT means? Happen to anyone else?

you should call admissions and ask, they have a really nice staff person on the phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.