2011-2012 Jefferson Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I see that some people are getting rejected. If I am still Decision Pending regarding the interview, is rejection just around the corner, or are interviews still going out? Basically want to know if I am still alive.

Members don't see this ad.

So I see that some people are getting rejected. If I am still Decision Pending regarding the interview, is rejection just around the corner, or are interviews still going out? Basically want to know if I am still alive.

I'm in the same boat... when were you complete?

Does the status page change post-interview? For those accepted, does your status change from "Attended Interview" to "Accepted"?

Members don't see this ad :)
So Jeff is finally sending out some decisions pre-interview? I'm really interested in the school, but I'm wondering how realistic an interview is at this point.

So Jeff is finally sending out some decisions pre-interview? I'm really interested in the school, but I'm wondering how realistic an interview is at this point.

I would say that at this point, it's dependent upon cancellations. Interviews are conducted until mid-April, so I would assume that the final invites are happening right about now.

The turn around for decisions is usually a week right? Has anyone who interviewed in the last few weeks heard anyhing?

Interview invite today via phone call from Dr. Brooks!! Mind. blown.

Congrats- and have fun!

The turn around for decisions is usually a week right? Has anyone who interviewed in the last few weeks heard anyhing?

It can take a few weeks if your interviewer is busy and can't make it to the meeting every week.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well... I'll never be able to figure some schools out. I got an interview at Pitt and Penn, have a 40+ MCAT and a 3.8+ GPA, and I was never invited to interview at Jeff.

Really like the look of the school.... Oh well.... Who knows.

Well... I'll never be able to figure some schools out. I got an interview at Pitt and Penn, have a 40+ MCAT and a 3.8+ GPA, and I was never invited to interview at Jeff.

Really like the look of the school.... Oh well.... Who knows.

With your stats, they probably think Jeff is a "safety" on the list of schools to which you applied. So why waste an interview slot on someone who is probably going to end up with an acceptance from a Penn or Pitt caliber school? Unless you went out of your way to express your desire to attend Jeff, not really a surprising outcome.

I would imagine it comes down to the rest of the application other than the numbers.

I'm currently a 4th year at Jefferson so I'll take a shot at your last question:

1. The people - The class is pretty big, but I have an amazing core of friends and have gotten to know my classmates pretty well. For the most part, everyone tries to help each other out and people are pretty laid back. Also, there are so many ways to get involved with different activities...there's around 100 clubs as well as intramural sports (I think there's something like 10 different lunchtime talks/activities going on this week), so it's pretty easy to find like-minded people.

2. Clinical training - I definitely felt that I got great clinical training, especially during 3rd year of medical school. The attendings and residents really tried to teach and give responsibility to 3rd year medical students, which doesn't always happen.

3. Location - Jefferson really is in the best part of Philadelphia...everything is walkable and you can really enjoy everything that Philadelphia has to offer

Hopefully that helps a bit. Overall, I definitely appreciated and enjoyed my experience at Jefferson and am really glad that I chose to come here.

Ultimately, it'll come down to whether you want to end up on the east coast (my class has 25 people who are from CA). If you're looking at places on the east coast, then Jefferson's definitely worth checking out. Good luck with med school interviews!

Great answer! I interviewed at Jefferson yesterday (3/7) and LOVED it.

Has anyone heard back from this school recently? It seems like no one's heard anything in the past 3 weeks...

Does anyone know if the wait list moves at all before 5/15?

Interview status now says 'interview to be scheduled' :)
Had been 'decision pending' since...July? Yeah, I think July..

Interview status now says 'interview to be scheduled' :)
Had been 'decision pending' since...July? Yeah, I think July..

Congrats! I'm still at Decision Pending (September). Sent in an update letter a couple weeks ago. :xf:

I'm trying really hard to find negatives about JMC (that aren't cost-related)...any current students help me out?

I'm a first year, and in my opinion, there's really not much downside to Jefferson. Yes, the tuition is expensive, but it's a great environment with endless opportunities. The faculty are very accessible and I've had nothing but good interactions with them. The grading is H/P/F, which is great. Plus, you're in the best part of the city, with tons of great restaurants, shopping, museums, theaters, etc. PM me if you have any specific questions!

Does anyone know if they are still sending out interview invites? Thanks!

I am very dissapointed to say that I can't apply to this school next year. It is basically the ONLY school out of the 50 that I've emailed, that will NOT substituted my Pharm.D. for a bachelor's degree. I've heard nothing but great things about the school. Maybe I can call? The email just sounded so stiff even when I told them about my non-traditional status.

I am very dissapointed to say that I can't apply to this school next year. It is basically the ONLY school out of the 50 that I've emailed, that will NOT substituted my Pharm.D. for a bachelor's degree. I've heard nothing but great things about the school. Maybe I can call? The email just sounded so stiff even when I told them about my non-traditional status.

Is it because of your advanced standing?

Sent from my ADR6400L using SDN Mobile

Is it because of your advanced standing?

No I have 3 years of undergraduate credit from UNT and UT (texas universities), but I went to pharmacy school before finishing my bachelor's...since many pharmacy schools (and med schools) only requires 90 credit hours. The email reply said that all applicants "must" have a bachelors.

No I have 3 years of undergraduate credit from UNT and UT (texas universities), but I went to pharmacy school before finishing my bachelor's...since many pharmacy schools (and med schools) only requires 90 credit hours. The email reply said that all applicants "must" have a bachelors.

I don't know much about the prerequisites for pharmacy school. Only that many schools have some sort of link program for pre-pharmacy students. At my undergrad pre-pharmacy required courses not required by med schools, like public speaking and anatomy and physiology 1 and 2. That's quite unfortunate though! Sorry to hear about that. Could you finish your bachelors this coming academic year? If so, there shouldn't be anything stopping you from being able to apply during the summer as long as you clearly state that you will earn your bachelors by the time you start. You have all of your pre-medical requisites, right?

Hey does anyone know what sort of questions they ask at the interviews at Jefferson? Or what the structure is like? I have an interview coming up, really late in the season it seems to me but I'm still interested..

Check out the interview feedback at the top of the SDN page. It gives you the info on the interview format, questions, etc.

Hey does anyone know what sort of questions they ask at the interviews at Jefferson? Or what the structure is like? I have an interview coming up, really late in the season it seems to me but I'm still interested..

I think it will very much be dependent on your interviewer. In fact, I wasn't even asked any formal questions during my interview. The interviewer just sat me down in her office told me that she liked to interview applicants by just letting them talk about whatever they wanted to talk about. I was kinda taken aback, but then we had an elaborate conversation about all sorts of things and she would prod about topics that she wanted to hear more about.

It was one of those conversations that you would have with an old friend at a coffee shop, albeit much more high-stakes!

It's very laid back and conversational, they just want to get a feel for you and how you will fit in with the school. They're not the type of school to try to trick you or put you under alot of pressure. My interviewer had her feet up on her desk the entire time. As long as you demonstrate that you're really into Jeff and would really benefit from the programs they have to offer (which they have a million amazing community service programs!), you should be fine. Good luck! :)

Also just got call from Dr. Callahan!!! Interviewed 2/29 as well :laugh::love:

That's wonderful! I interviewed 2 weeks ago and am really hoping to get a call today but don't know if things will be delayed because of last week being their spring break. Does anyone know if the AdCom met last week or if there might be any post-interview notifications today?

Last edited:
That's great! I interviewed 2 weeks ago and am really hoping to get a call today but don't know if things will be delayed because of last week being their spring break. Does anyone know if the AdCom met last week or if there might be any post-interview notifications today?

I'm wondering the same thing as well. I interviewed on 3/7 and Dr. Brooks said I would hear back a week later. Guess not though...:scared:

So I tried looking through several pages of this thread to find an answer but got annoyed so I'm just gonna ask - do they have a place for you to keep luggage the day of the interview? Probably a dumb question since the answer is probably yes to 95% of schools..

So I tried looking through several pages of this thread to find an answer but got annoyed so I'm just gonna ask - do they have a place for you to keep luggage the day of the interview? Probably a dumb question since the answer is probably yes to 95% of schools..
Haha, yep no worries - they let you store luggage in the admissions office before the day begins.

This is rather frustrating. At this point I would really like to know if my application has been denied or not. Purgatory is just getting so damn annoying.

Decision Pending ad infinitum!

Letter of interest/update sent. I hope it's not too late into the cycle for an II :(.

I've been at interview deferred status for 2 months now

Status
Not open for further replies.