2011-2012 Mount Sinai Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Members don't see this ad :)
Members don't see this ad :)
woohoo!! another rejection party! count me in!

Sorry about all of the rejections. :(

I'm hoping that they release more post-interview decisions too.

Sorry about all of the rejections. :(

I'm hoping that they release more post-interview decisions too.

I'm guessing they won't until at least next week or the week after because they said 'mid march'.. However, I HOPE that I'm wrong about that and they release them sooner. I have been feeling like such an anxious wreck waiting to hear my fate.

I'm guessing they won't until at least next week or the week after because they said 'mid march'.. However, I HOPE that I'm wrong about that and they release them sooner. I have been feeling like such an anxious wreck waiting to hear my fate.

When I was there in January, they told us that we should be hearing in about a month. I should have heard by last week if that were the case. So perhaps they will do 2 more batches? If not, then I guess the January interviews will be lumped in with the March dates.

When I was there in January, they told us that we should be hearing in about a month. I should have heard by last week if that were the case. So perhaps they will do 2 more batches? If not, then I guess the January interviews will be lumped in with the March dates.

Hmmm.. were you there towards the end of January? I was there February 1st and they said mid-March. I think Mount Sinai likes to group its decisions and only releases them every 1.5-2 months so I wouldn't be surprised if yours gets lumped in with the later ones.

But, of course, I haven't the slightest clue what will actually happen. I think I like to waste time by trying to predict stuff like this because it takes my mind off of worrying about what my decision will be :oops:

Last edited:
My guess is that they will release the next batch of acceptances/waitlists on March 13th.

Are they finished interviewing? I bet they will just release when they are completely finished with that.

the last interview day was friday, and they said they would tell us in 2 weeks...

I never caught this show, but Dr. Reidenberg seems like a fun anatomy prof... Come on, Sinai! One more week! (prob, maybe)

Three days earlier, Dr. Reidenberg . . . had been sitting in her laboratory at Mount Sinai School of Medicine in Manhattan. Her lab is full of whale flippers and frozen camel heads and the other things that a comparative anatomist keeps around the workplace. The phone rang.

A British television production company was on the line, wondering if she could fly to Ireland that night. They were about to start filming a series about the world's biggest animals and, by sheer coincidence, a 65-ton fin whale had washed up on the south coast of Ireland. They wanted to film her dissecting it the next day.

. . .
Dr. Reidenberg had to begin the dissection in Ireland by dealing with the bacterial gas that was building to dangerous levels inside the whale's carcass. "It was inflating like the Hindenburg," she said. "If you cut in too deep, you end up with a million sausage links all over the place."

Her solution was to knife a series of holes in the whale's throat. "It's like defusing a bomb," she said. A rush of wind came from each one, producing a symphony of flatulence. It took an hour for all the gas to exit.

Next, she used a meat hook to haul herself about 10 feet up to the top of the 65-foot-long animal, where she carved long incisions into its side. A digger from a local construction company was used to peel away the blubber in long strips. Now Dr. Reidenberg could cut open a doorway into the whale's gut and haul out the intestines. The next morning, she climbed into the abdominal cavity, where each organ told its own story. She located the vestigial pelvis, a reminder of whale ancestors that lived on land. She extracted the voice box, which was bigger than she was.

. . .
At Mount Sinai, Dr. Reidenberg brings her fieldwork into the classroom, showing medical students how our own anatomy is one of many variations evolution has produced. On "Inside Nature's Giants," she brings some of the same lessons to her audience.

www.nytimes.com/2012/02/07/science/joy-reidenberg-anatomist-builds-a-following-on-inside-natures-giants.html

any word on decisions?

I was hoping for this Friday, but my guess now is next Wednesday. It was Wednesday the 9th last year, based on the thread from that app cycle.

One of my friends said he called yesterday and they told him he'd have his decision letter by the end of next week (week of the 12th). I'd assume that holds true for all remaining decisions since Ms. Maysonet told us there's only one more decision group during my interview day in January.

One of my friends said he called yesterday and they told him he'd have his decision letter by the end of next week (week of the 12th). I'd assume that holds true for all remaining decisions since Ms. Maysonet told us there's only one more decision group during my interview day in January.

yea, do you know if decisions come by mail or email?

If it helps, I received my acceptance back in January via email.

yea, do you know if decisions come by mail or email?

Not sure, but everyone I know that's been accepted so far has found out through email. I'm still waiting on my decision too, so I'm in your boat.

Where are interested alternates sending their letters of intent?

I called and they said I should send to admissions email, which I did. But is anyone also sending a copy of the letter to their interviewers and/or the dean?

Thanks!

I'm trying to send one within the next two or three weeks. Do you (or does anybody) know about sending additional letters of recommendation? Should it be done through AMCAS, or is it OK to send a new letter directly?

Any word on which day March decisions are coming out?

One could always call this afternoon during the applicant questions time... Nerve racking!

And last year's last decisions were on Wednesday March 9th. I was hoping they'd be today, but they're almost definitely by the end of this week (someone posted earlier that Jessica said it'd be by the end of this week).

More tea leaves: decision were released at around 11am on the previous two decision days. That would suggest that today's not the day.

Edit: by decision days, I meant days on which they issued acceptances this cycle, as far as I can tell from SDN postings (i.e., 11/17 and 1/11). They've changed their admissions schedules from last year (lumping together the February and March acceptances), so I don't know how much we can read into last year's results.

Last edited:
Looks like it'll be Friday after all. Gah!

Looks like it'll be Friday after all. Gah!

Man, just seeing that someone had posted in this thread made my heart start beating quickly. Every time my phone buzzes with an email I get excited... then when I see it's some stupid stupid spam or something I feel like throwing my phone out the window. Haha.

There's so many people viewing this thread right now, I think we can all empathize with each others nervousness :scared:

Man, just seeing that someone had posted in this thread made my heart start beating quickly. Every time my phone buzzes with an email I get excited... then when I see it's some stupid stupid spam or something I feel like throwing my phone out the window. Haha.

There's so many people viewing this thread right now, I think we can all empathize with each others nervousness :scared:

My thoughts exactly! C'monn Sinai!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.