2011-2012 Psychology PhD/Psy.D. Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow, that's really unbelievable! I'm sorry that you are going through this. It really makes me wonder, even more now, how often these mistakes happen--and even more so, how often this happens when the application is marked as an application, but not even considered because it is incomplete (i.e., decreases acceptance rates and boosts the appearance of competitiveness).

I had it out (via email) with a school over my Psych GRE score, because the person said they couldn't guarantee my score would be reviewed by the committee or something like that, because the score wasn't entered into my online application. I was like, well, the scores don't come out until late November and I needed to submit your online application so that my recommenders would get the email, etc...and you are going to take my money and not look at my application?? I never got a clear answer.

My husband actually said to me "well let's hope your competition doesn't think ahead like you do and have their applications stay incomplete." But that's just a sad thought - how unfair to work that hard for nothing!

Your story sounds awful! Can you maybe call someone else in the department? Maybe a faculty member you've had some contact with and ask why their policies are so impossible? (not worded like that of course).
On the other hand, I have the opposite problem. I accidentally put down my top 4 grad school choices on my Psych GRE complimentary score-sending list without thinking. I got a decent-but-not-very-impressive score and now schools that didn't even ask for my scores are getting a mediocre number and probably wondering why :( Oh well, you live you learn!

Members don't see this ad.

They were difficult in that way (i.e., no tracking system and no willingness to check on status of materials) for me when I applied there last year. In my case, they did end up getting everything entered correctly; hopefully it will turn out that way for you too! :)

Thanks for the reassurance Jeina! Although the posts below yours makes me worried again! I don't think there's a point in repeated phone calls/emails with them though...they are just going to tell me the same thing. I think I am just going to trust the system.

Thanks! I'll keep it updated and let you know if things start to get overwhelming. I'm a frequent lurker so I'll definitely be around to update.

Thanks for starting the thread. I certainly don't mind helping too if you need a hand :).

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reassurance Jeina! Although the posts below yours makes me worried again! I don't think there's a point in repeated phone calls/emails with them though...they are just going to tell me the same thing. I think I am just going to trust the system.

Yeah, sometimes that's the only reasonable choice. It's a good exercise in tolerance of distress. ;)

Anyone going to start the 2011-2012 rejection thread?

In the same exact situation. I'm thinking of sending the rest of my application in, but I really have no idea what to do!

I spoke with one of the admins and they suggested I have the recommender email or fax the letter to the department and then just mail the original directly as soon as they can.

Ugh...

I contacted my December 1 deadline schools today to make sure that all of my materials have been received. Some schools were more helpful than others. At one program I was told only my online application and one recommendation were received, my 3 transcripts, GRE scores, and 2 other recs were missing.....I was completely freaking out. The woman said she'd connect with someone else who might know what I was going on....he sounded puzzled and said he'd call me back. I was completely shocked especially considering the writer of one of the missing recs is faculty at this school and she had WALKED IT OVER to the grad admissions office. One very tense hour later he calls back and says my materials were "scattered about" but that they now have found them all and they're in my file.... Are these people trying to give applicants a heart attack?

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this problem, but NYU Steinhardt's application website has not been uploading PDFs for the past 10 days or so. You are required to upload transcripts and GRE scores.... I've sent two emails to the software company that runs the application with no response and called NYU's grad admin office twice, they say they're "working on the problem". The app is due in two days.

I don't know about anyone else, but I will sleep much easier and be much more pleasant to be around when this process is over....... =)

I received an email last night from one of my schools. It said that they have received all application materials for the department application and that I will be given full consideration. If something is missing from the graduate school application (GRE scores, transcripts) they will notify me and give me an opportunity to send it in. That made me feel better.

I submitted my last application today online. Now I can start my Christmas shopping and constant worrying.

Soooo, I'm running into a bit of a problem with the GW application - they require that you upload an unofficial copy of your transcript to their on-line application and only need the official copy if they offer your admission....so my problem is that I scanned all my transcripts and the files are too big (<1mb) - anyone know how I can compress the file so that it will get under 1mb??? I need to figure this out in the next day or two :scared:

Thanks in advance!

Soooo, I'm running into a bit of a problem with the GW application - they require that you upload an unofficial copy of your transcript to their on-line application and only need the official copy if they offer your admission....so my problem is that I scanned all my transcripts and the files are too big (<1mb) - anyone know how I can compress the file so that it will get under 1mb??? I need to figure this out in the next day or two :scared:

Thanks in advance!

I had this problem with DePaul and since I had a letter of recommendation to send along (since my boss didn't email them) I decided to just overnight a paper copy.

To answer your question, try emailing the department admin. You might be able to just email them the larger attachment.

I had this problem with DePaul and since I had a letter of recommendation to send along (since my boss didn't email them) I decided to just overnight a paper copy.

To answer your question, try emailing the department admin. You might be able to just email them the larger attachment.

Figured it out! If anyone has this problem just download the trial version of Adobe Acrobat and you can compress the files that way. :thumbup:

I had the same problem. I ended up cutting out part of the transcript because I went to 2 universities. I had already uploaded my first school's transcript and my second transcript had that information on it as well so I just took it out. If you can't do that, just email them the form.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone else been unable to get an application materials update? Tomorrow is the big day (for many programs)! Good luck! :xf::xf:

Has anyone else been unable to get an application materials update? Tomorrow is the big day (for many programs)! Good luck! :xf::xf:

Yeah, some schools don't pick up the phone today, I think they are swamped. I am just going to put my trust in some of these schools (although reading some of these posts, and my experiences with some of the schools I called earlier this week make it hard to trust the system they have in place).

I'm a little confused. The official deadline for school is the deadline for submitting the application form right? Even if the schools have not sorted out the materials and put everything into the file for each applicant (the system says incomplete) on Dec 1, it doesn't mean we missed the deadline right?

I'm a little confused. The official deadline for school is the deadline for submitting the application form right? Even if the schools have not sorted out the materials and put everything into the file for each applicant (the system says incomplete) on Dec 1, it doesn't mean we missed the deadline right?

Sometimes schools are behind in updating their systems so an application could say incomplete if they are still waiting for GRE scores or something. As long as you have sent everything in you're good to go. The most important thing to have in by the deadline is the payment and the application. All other supplemental materials could take a few days to sort through and update.

Right. Most applications say either "received by" or "postmarked by" so&so date. :)

Some schools are definitely more helpful than others. I already tried once to get this info from all the schools, but I don't see the point in pestering them anymore at this stage. Let's just trust that all of our materials are in and organized. :xf:

On another note, I got an email today from a POI that I emailed 2 months ago about whether she is taking students next year or not. I'm surprised she even responded to me at this point as I would imagine that professors would be swamped with emails at this time.

On another note, I got an email today from a POI that I emailed 2 months ago about whether she is taking students next year or not. I'm surprised she even responded to me at this point as I would imagine that professors would be swamped with emails at this time.

So is she taking on a student?

That's awesome. It would really s*ck if she wasn't and you already sent your application in.

My heart skipped a beat this morning when I got an emaiI from Minnesota saying all my materials were in. I'm pretty sure my email panic reactions are going to be a common occurrence for the next few months.

Is anyone interested in sharing the schools you are applying to? It might be interesting to see what schools will be represented on this forum (either as rejections or acceptances... hopefully the latter) and who of us are applying to the same schools.

Should I start a new thread, or just use this one for it? I know that they had a specific one last year for that purpose...

Yeah, I'd be interested in learning this as well. I'll be sure to post mine.

Starting a new thread (like previous years) is a good idea.

Yeah, I'd be interested in learning this as well. I'll be sure to post mine.

Starting a new thread (like previous years) is a good idea.

I think a separate post is a good idea, that way people can also do it anonymously (like with the interview/rejection threads where you can send a PM). Posting a complete list of places one is applying could be potentially identifying.

Okay, so all my Dec 1st applications are in but for two of them, one of my recommendation writers is really giving me anxiety! He hasn't submitted them yet and as of a few minutes ago when I gave him a ring to remind him, he said that they usually give them extra time past the deadlines?! Is this true?! Has anyone else had/or currently having this problem as well?

I knew I should've had someone else do it :mad:

I think that may be true, because most schools recognize that it's not your fault if the letters are not in in time. However, it would still make me anxious, and if the letter is already written, he should be able to submit the two remaining today... not cool!

Okay, so all my Dec 1st applications are in but for two of them, one of my recommendation writers is really giving me anxiety! He hasn't submitted them yet and as of a few minutes ago when I gave him a ring to remind him, he said that they usually give them extra time past the deadlines?! Is this true?! Has anyone else had/or currently having this problem as well?

From what I understand schools don't punish you as the applicant if letter writers don't get their act together and I think if you application gets in on time but your letter writer submits his/her letter a few days later, it won't be a big deal and they will still consider your application. Most schools don't even look at applicants until after the winterbreak anyways. Having said that, that doesn't necessarily apply to every school and I don't think it's fair of your prof to cause you unnecessary anxiety by being careless of the submission date of the letter of rec.

I think that may be true, because most schools recognize that it's not your fault if the letters are not in in time. However, it would still make me anxious, and if the letter is already written, he should be able to submit the two remaining today... not cool!

Not cool at all...I had to track him down last night and sit outside his office for about 45 minutes until he wrote the one that I had to include with the rest of my application materials! I then proceeded to ask him if he could just run off more copies of them and just stick them in the envelopes so I can take the rest with me - he said he "was too tired and had to go home"...I really hope the two schools with deadlines today are going to be okay with it because from the convo we just had over the phone, he didn't seem like he was taking it seriously! This coming from the director of my program :mad::mad:

Not cool at all...I had to track him down last night and sit outside his office for about 45 minutes until he wrote the one that I had to include with the rest of my application materials! I then proceeded to ask him if he could just run off more copies of them and just stick them in the envelopes so I can take the rest with me - he said he "was too tired and had to go home"...I really hope the two schools with deadlines today are going to be okay with it because from the convo we just had over the phone, he didn't seem like he was taking it seriously! This coming from the director of my program :mad::mad:

Wow. Are you sure he wrote you a good letter? Sorry that happened to you. Best of luck to you.

Wow. Are you sure he wrote you a good letter? Sorry that happened to you. Best of luck to you.

That's exactly what I was thinking as I was sitting outside...I really hope he did

A friend of mine applied for an NSF fellowship this year (proposal/essays due around Nov. 15th., recc letters due the 29th). One of her 4 letter writers submitted a recommendation 5 minutes late and NSF wouldn't acknowledge it, and another thought they submitted a letter through the online site but something went haywire and their recommendation was never uploaded. She had 4 letter writers and now is ineligible for funding because she is one letter shy of the minimum 3. Her advisors even called NSF to explain the situation and they were simply turned away. What a horror story! Now she has to wait until her dissertation to do the dream project she designed.

That's awesome. It would really s*ck if she wasn't and you already sent your application in.

This actually happened to me. Two days before the infamous Dec. 1 deadline, a professor finally got back to me and said he was NOT taking students. I had already dedicated a large portion of my personal statement to him, and also had already submitted it. I freaked out and contacted the school and pleaded with them, asking if there was anything I could do. Kindly, they let me resubmit my personal statement. The main online application, however, still says his name as my person of interest. I'll probably get rejected based on other things, but now I look infinitely more stupid than I actually am.

Has anyone run into an issue involving their POI going on sabbatical? One of my POIs emailed me back saying that she is going on sabbatical this spring, so she won't be "officially" taking any students for next fall. She also said that she's on the admissions committee and will be available to begin advising students again in the spring of 2013 - what should I make of this? I still wrote that I'd be interested in working with her in my SOP but that I understood she would be away for the first semester - might this negatively impact my application?

Thanks, everyone!

I just found out that after spending a ton of money to overnight one school's transcripts to half a dozen schools (since half of the original ones I sent out from that school mysteriously never made it) that they sent the WRONG person's transcripts (who incidentally did not have good grades). I am livid! I don't even know if I send them out again if the schools will take them so late.

That's awful. Contact the schools to let them know and have your transcripts overnighted. Good luck.

I just found out that after spending a ton of money to overnight one school's transcripts to half a dozen schools (since half of the original ones I sent out from that school mysteriously never made it) that they sent the WRONG person's transcripts (who incidentally did not have good grades). I am livid! I don't even know if I send them out again if the schools will take them so late.

Oh man, that's horrible! So sorry to hear that. As far as late transcripts, I don't think it's a huge deal for most schools. I spoke with a few schools since they hadn't processed/received some of my transcripts. Most of them said it wasn't a big deal since they already had my unofficial transcript with my online application. They said they would just add my transcript to my file once it was processed. You can try calling the schools to see what they say if you're really worried.

I am kind of worried about something I did on a couple of my applications. Here's the situation. I kicked around Dallas County Community College District(took classes at 5 of the schools in the DCCCD depending on who was offering what/all in fairly close proximity) for a few years and then quit school for a while and then started back at a university super focused. On the academic background portion of almost all of my apps, you search for a college code and it would have an option for Dallas County Community Colleges. So that option worked out great because I took classes at several of the schools in DCCCD. There are two apps that when I searched for the college code there was no option for DCCCD, so I would have had to try to divide up information for each college within the DCCCD even though I was taking classes at 3 different colleges within DCCCD some semesters. So what I did was just entered the college code for the college within DCCCD that gave me my associates degree and listed my GPA for all of the DCCCD schools as a whole/dates of attendance etc. This seemed okay to me since if you request a transcript from any of the DCCCD colleges it shows all of the information together from every college within the district. So if I would have tried to break down every college and sent transcripts for all 5 within DCCCD they would be getting 5 of the exact same transcript. I am wondering if this is going to look bad on my part? All of my grades are represented so it isn't like I am trying to deceive or anything. Hmm

I am kind of worried about something I did on a couple of my applications. Here's the situation. I kicked around Dallas County Community College District(took classes at 5 of the schools in the DCCCD depending on who was offering what/all in fairly close proximity) for a few years and then quit school for a while and then started back at a university super focused. On the academic background portion of almost all of my apps, you search for a college code and it would have an option for Dallas County Community Colleges. So that option worked out great because I took classes at several of the schools in DCCCD. There are two apps that when I searched for the college code there was no option for DCCCD, so I would have had to try to divide up information for each college within the DCCCD even though I was taking classes at 3 different colleges within DCCCD some semesters. So what I did was just entered the college code for the college within DCCCD that gave me my associates degree and listed my GPA for all of the DCCCD schools as a whole/dates of attendance etc. This seemed okay to me since if you request a transcript from any of the DCCCD colleges it shows all of the information together from every college within the district. So if I would have tried to break down every college and sent transcripts for all 5 within DCCCD they would be getting 5 of the exact same transcript. I am wondering if this is going to look bad on my part? All of my grades are represented so it isn't like I am trying to deceive or anything. Hmm

I had a similar experience, although it was for a different Community College District and only two schools. You probably should have listed each school independently if there wasn't a DCCCD option--but since it was just entering them as a list and sending transcripts in addition to it (yes?), they probably figured it out. There is limited space on some of the apps for listing schools, anyway.

The problem I had was that I listed each school independently, sent the ONE transcript, and then had letters/emails saying I was missing a transcript from one of the schools! Ugh, that was irritating and took time out of my life that I'll never get back.

Depending on how big an error the typos are, I wouldn't sweat it if you don't get the change to replace with the correct document. I'm sure everyone's application has a typo or two. I noticed a small typo on my application after I already sent it in. Nothing is ever perfect.

I made a huge mistake on four of my apps I accidentally submitted a rough draft of my C.V. which includes 4 typos :( I don't know how this happened, I was working on my apps late at night, and I attached the wrong file. I spend a lot of time on my apps, and felt like I was in a good place, but a careless moment might have ruined everything. I contacted all the schools, presented the scenario and asked if I could replace the file. Two of the school said yes, and replaced the C.V. One school said I could add the correct C.V. to the file, with a note explaining the situation and directing faculty to the correct C.V. However, I haven’t heard back from the fourth school, which also happens to be my top choice. Did I just kiss of death myself? I don’t want to annoy the graduate department by constant calls/emails, but feel like the review process might start soon and I really would love to get the C.V. replaced. Any suggestions? TIA!

Oh no that sucks :(! I think it's good that you contacted the schools to get it replaced. I think you did what's right, and if the 4th school does not reply to you, you probably should just pray that they do not catch your errors. No point of sweating it now - you've done what you could by contacting them. Perhaps if the other parts of your application are amazing, they will overlook the minor typos.

Got a call this morning to schedule an interview on either: 1/5 or 1/12. Good luck to other applicants...

Got a call this morning to schedule an interview on either: 1/5 or 1/12. Good luck to other applicants...

CONGRATS! :)

This should probably go into the interview thread though, so that the interview list can be updated accordingly.

Whoops, someone was faster than me! And oooh, this is for internships, I see.

Depending on how big an error the typos are, I wouldn't sweat it if you don't get the change to replace with the correct document. I'm sure everyone's application has a typo or two. I noticed a small typo on my application after I already sent it in. Nothing is ever perfect.

Oh no that sucks :(! I think it's good that you contacted the schools to get it replaced. I think you did what's right, and if the 4th school does not reply to you, you probably should just pray that they do not catch your errors. No point of sweating it now - you've done what you could by contacting them. Perhaps if the other parts of your application are amazing, they will overlook the minor typos.

Thanks for the replies, at least I now feel like I did what I could. Still have not heard back from the 4th school, but I should just let it go I guess. Hopefully I catch someone without an eye for detail, who will just read right over those typos :)

Thanks for the replies, at least I now feel like I did what I could. Still have not heard back from the 4th school, but I should just let it go I guess. Hopefully I catch someone without an eye for detail, who will just read right over those typos :)

If it help...last year I applied to both clinical and counseling programs. I used pretty much the same SOP with a few words changed. When I sent my SOP in to the program I'm in (counseling) I called it a clinical program, more than once. I think when it really comes down to it if the person you apply to work with is interested in you they're not going to care about a few typos. Also, remember they have a ton of apps to read, alot of times from people not qualified for grad school, and a few typos probably won't stand out

I agree, I don't think it's that big of a deal.