2011-2012 Psychology PhD/Psy.D. Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psych2011

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I thought I'd start a thread for all of us who are going through the application process this year. Here we can talk about the whole process, ask question, give advice to others, etc.

I don't know if I'm starting this thread very early (last years thread was created more towards the end of September), but since I see some people on here are already asking about statements of purpose etc, I feel as if it's an appropriate time to start it up now!

Good Luck to everyone applying for Ph.D/Psy.D programs this year! :luck:

The link for last year's application thread can be found here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=765759&highlight=application+2011

Members don't see this ad.

So, since I created the thread I can start:

I guess I'm kind of curious where other people are at when it comes to the application process?

So far, I have identified many schools and potential PoIs, but I am yet to email them to ask whether they will be taking students or not. I am also in the process of updating my CV, and I have identified and talked with all my letter of rec. writers. That's about it. I feel as if there is still plenty of time, but I know I have to be constantly on it.

Great thread! I don't think it's too early since most of us have already started the preparations.

I have almost finalized my list of schools and POIs. I just have to look at each school itself and make sure they are mostly research oriented as I don't intend to pursue a clinical career. I've spoken with my letter of rec writers and am preparing the packets to send them. My CV is updated but I still haven't written my SOP. Urgh... I'm constantly thinking about what I should write but I have yet to put it on paper.

Members don't see this ad :)
Great thread! I don't think it's too early since most of us have already started the preparations.

I have almost finalized my list of schools and POIs. I just have to look at each school itself and make sure they are mostly research oriented as I don't intend to pursue a clinical career. I've spoken with my letter of rec writers and am preparing the packets to send them. My CV is updated but I still haven't written my SOP. Urgh... I'm constantly thinking about what I should write but I have yet to put it on paper.

Yes, I too have to look more into the school's overall orientation. Have you emailed POIs? I'm still thinking it might be too early for them to know how funding is going to be next year etc, which is why I have been holding back emailing them so far.

I know, the SOP is scaring me. Especially when I see how some schools seem to want very different SOPs than others. I'm applying to approximately 20 schools so I am not looking forward to adjusting the SOP to each and every school. But hopefully it'll be all worth it in the end. :)

So, since I created the thread I can start:

I guess I'm kind of curious where other people are at when it comes to the application process?

So far, I have identified many schools and potential PoIs, but I am yet to email them to ask whether they will be taking students or not. I am also in the process of updating my CV, and I have identified and talked with all my letter of rec. writers. That's about it. I feel as if there is still plenty of time, but I know I have to be constantly on it.
I'm glad that I'm on track now.
I have only 2 letter of rec writers currently, and am trying to identify a 3rd. I'm also trying to define my research interests.

I've been emailing POIs for a few weeks and have made pretty good progress so far. I have a list of around 15 schools and cutting that down based on feedback. Hopefully will end up around 10 or so.

I also just ordered http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1580080421/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1 to help begin with my SOPs. Any and all advice is welcome :)

Best of luck to everyone!

This post has great timing. I am gearing up for my second application cycle. So far I have e-mailed most of my POI's, though I still have a few schools I plan on looking into before finalizing my list. I have talking to all of my letter writers and once I have my final school list will put together those packets.

For those worried about SOPs- Last year I was also really freaked out too about revamping it for each school but when it came down to it, 12 out of 14 only need small tweaks to accommodate page/word limits. For me, coming up with the core statement was by far the hardest and it was all downhill from there.

For those worried about SOPs- Last year I was also really freaked out too about revamping it for each school but when it came down to it, 12 out of 14 only need small tweaks to accommodate page/word limits. For me, coming up with the core statement was by far the hardest and it was all downhill from there.

That's very comforting to hear, thanks!

So, I know there are a lot of different opinions on this, but for those of you who have already contacted potential POIs, have you tried to start up a conversation with them about their research, or have you mainly just asked whether they plan to admit a student into their lab or not? I'm still debating how I should go about it...

My approach is a 2-3 sentence introduction: "Hi my name is... and I'm an aspiring PhD student. I am currently [doing this]. I am interested...[in this]. A brief note about their stated interests and then I ask whether they are interested in my research area and if they have plans to accept new students.

I've had a pretty good response from that style. It's fairly short, to the point and is open enough to start a conversation if they so desire. I probably have an 80-90% response rate with the majority of those actually being helpful responses.

BEFORE doing that, make sure you check their webpage, so you don't ask any information that is clearly listed.

I'm in the process now of continuing the conversation (if it was open) and asking for contact information for one of their current students. I don't know if that is the best thing to do, but so far the POIs have been extremely open and helpful with that request.

On the grad student note, I've found 2 graduate students that are doing pretty much exactly what I want to do. I've been emailing them back and forth for weeks now gathering a lot of information about my topic of interest and potential names to contact. Point is, don't just browse the faculty research page, check out their grad students page as well.

Definitely don't think 3 months before due dates is too soon for this; at least not for us SDN overachievers... :rolleyes:

I applied 2 years ago so am a bit ahead of schedule thanks to already having the GRE dealt with. I've got an early draft of a general SOP done and my LOR writers locked up. I need to update my CV from the last 6 months or so, but that should be simple enough so I guess the next big thing for me is contacting POIs. I go along with spafticus's recommendations for those emails (brief intro of yourself, what you're looking for, and if they know their situation for accepting students; put the ball in their court for starting a convo then get out quickly) but that's probably more aligned with my personality so YMMV. Good luck to us all

This may have already been addressed on a previous thread but what is the protocol for contacting multiple POIs at the same program? Is it safest to just email your top POI from each program and then move down the list if they aren't accepting students or can you contact two or three POIs simultaneously? Thanks!

Definitely don't think 3 months before due dates is too soon for this; at least not for us SDN overachievers... :rolleyes:

Last year I sent mine in July. Talk about early. However, they all new about their funding already and sent me great replies. I am trying to be slightly less neurotic this year than I was last year. We'll see how that goes...

This may have already been addressed on a previous thread but what is the protocol for contacting multiple POIs at the same program? Is it safest to just email your top POI from each program and then move down the list if they aren't accepting students or can you contact two or three POIs simultaneously? Thanks!

You can put more than one POI in your personal statement so I don't see the problem with contacting all of them. I'm writing separate emails to every POI.

Members don't see this ad :)
Last year I sent mine in July. Talk about early. However, they all new about their funding already and sent me great replies. QUOTE]

That's good to know! I will definitely send out my emails this weekend then! I'm glad it's a long weekend when I think about all the POIs on my "potential list" :)

Just sent out all my emails. Man, that was a nerve-wracking experience. I was so afraid of misspelling someone's name or worse, mentioning the wrong school or mentor. Argh. I already know I'm going to be a wreck throughout this entire process.

Just sent out all my emails. Man, that was a nerve-wracking experience. I was so afraid of misspelling someone's name or worse, mentioning the wrong school or mentor. Argh. I already know I'm going to be a wreck throughout this entire process.
Take solace in the fact you are not alone in feeling that way.

This is my 2nd cycle in this process and due in large part to the forums here at SDN, I feel MUCH more confident going into the process this year.

Good luck to everyone and let's do our best to help each other the best we can.

I know, for someone who is always slightly neurotic, I don't look forward to finding out exactly how nerve-wracking this process will be.

For those who have emailed professors, have you included a CV? I've heard both pros and cons with this, and right now I'm leaning towards not sending it with the email, but I wanted to hear your experiences first.

Last edited:
I know, for someone who is always slightly neurotic, I don't look forward to finding out exactly how nerve-wracking this process will be.

For those who have emailed professors, have you included a CV? I've heard both pros and cons with this, and right now I'm leaning towards not sending it with the email, but I wanted to hear your experiences first.

I didn't include a CV. I talked to my faculty mentor about this and she said don't bother, if the prof wants to know more they will ask you. I literally just sent out the responses and I've already had 6 replies. They've all been along the lines of "Thank you for contacting me. I'm accepting students. I look forward to reviewing your application".

I guess it's really up to you if you want to include a CV. My mentor said stop freaking out, these emails really aren't that important. They won't make or break you. :rolleyes:

This is my 2nd cycle in this process

I am glad to see another second-timer here. It seems so overwhelming to go through this whole process again.

I personally have always attached my CV. I even had a POI thank me for including it. None of them may actually look at it or care, but just in case, I want it available to them.

I personally have always attached my CV. I even had a POI thank me for including it. None of them may actually look at it or care, but just in case, I want it available to them.

Yes, this is exactly what I have always thought too, until I talked with one professor who told me not to do it because professors (at least at this particular university) are not allowed/supposed to read any CVs before the whole application is in and that professors might get annoyed that you are trying to get an upper-hand by doing that.

I don't know, I feel as if everything is so subjective so what might be beneficial for one school/POI is considered as bad manners at another school. I guess that's part of what makes it all so stressful.

I didn't include a CV. I talked to my faculty mentor about this and she said don't bother, if the prof wants to know more they will ask you. I literally just sent out the responses and I've already had 6 replies. They've all been along the lines of "Thank you for contacting me. I'm accepting students. I look forward to reviewing your application".

Wow, that's great that they are so quick to respond to you! I'm also happy to hear that most of the people you are interested to apply to appear to be accepting students. Yay!

Last edited:
Yes, this is exactly what I have always thought too, until I talked with one professor who told me not to do it because professors (at least at this particular university) are not allowed/supposed to read any CVs before the whole application is in and that professors might get annoyed that you are trying to get an upper-hand by doing that.

Seriously? I have NEVER heard of that! I think that is certainly not the norm. My mentors have all recommended sending it. Plus, I also had two of my POIs ask to meet me at ABCT and I can't imagine they would proactively do that if they weren't even supposed to read a CV.

Seriously? I have NEVER heard of that! I think that is certainly not the norm. My mentors have all recommended sending it. Plus, I also had two of my POIs ask to meet me at ABCT and I can't imagine they would proactively do that if they weren't even supposed to read a CV.

I know, I was really surprised too, since I had never heard of it before either. I'm starting to think that I should just include it. If they don't want to read it, they don't have to open the attachment. Either that, or I'll mention something along the lines of how I can send my CV if s/he so wishes.

I know, I was really surprised too, since I had never heard of it before either. I'm starting to think that I should just include it. If they don't want to read it, they don't have to open the attachment. Either that, or I'll mention something along the lines of how I can send my CV if s/he so wishes.

Yeah, I am standing by my decision to send my CV. I did it both this year and last and got only really positive responses.

On the grad student note, I've found 2 graduate students that are doing pretty much exactly what I want to do. I've been emailing them back and forth for weeks now gathering a lot of information about my topic of interest and potential names to contact. Point is, don't just browse the faculty research page, check out their grad students page as well.

Hello, a quick question about this. Is it appropriate to ask graduate students what projects their lab/PI is working on? I've emailed the PI's directly but most haven't been answering.

Thanks!

I have finally started emailing professors now :).

So, once you have gotten replies, do you guys usually email back to just thank them for getting back to you? I feel like it's appropriate, but I don't want to annoy anyone...

Man, I hate how I over-analyze every single detail in this process, haha.

I have finally started emailing professors now :).

So, once you have gotten replies, do you guys usually email back to just thank them for getting back to you? I feel like it's appropriate, but I don't want to annoy anyone...

Man, I hate how I over-analyze every single detail in this process, haha.

Unless I've had something more substantial than "Thanks for the reply" to say, I've generally chosen not to send a reply. Looking back, it might have been a better idea to send a small note.

I've been conversing with a few graduate students from my POIs and have received a lot of great information. Fortunately, 3 of my POIs have students who report love working with them and are overall really happy to be in the program.

Last edited:
Some people say that they should write about one or two mentors you are interested in working with (in case your primary faculty member doesn't have a spot open) in your statement. Does it make sense to email the second faculty member you're interested in to see if they are taking students, as well, or would it be better to email the primary mentor only and include the second mentor in the statement as a backup? I don't know if emailing multiple faculty members would make one look unfocused.

Hi Applicants!

I gained multiple acceptances to research-focused clinical phd programs last year coming straight out of undergrad and just wanted to offer myself up as a sounding board or a source of advice (keeping in mind that my perspective is limited to my own experiences, of course!). I probably won't keep up with this thread (I'm a little busy in my program now!), but feel free to PM me if I can be of assistance. Good luck! :)

Some people say that they should write about one or two mentors you are interested in working with (in case your primary faculty member doesn't have a spot open) in your statement. Does it make sense to email the second faculty member you're interested in to see if they are taking students, as well, or would it be better to email the primary mentor only and include the second mentor in the statement as a backup? I don't know if emailing multiple faculty members would make one look unfocused.

I have emailed more than one professor at some programs. I don't think it will make you look unfocused, and I highly doubt that the different faculty members discuss these emails with each other (at least I hope they don't).

Also, for professors I have emailed that were not planning to take students or that did not know yet, they advised me to email other professors within the program, so I would think they don't mind at all. :)

Hi Applicants!

I gained multiple acceptances to research-focused clinical phd programs last year coming straight out of undergrad and just wanted to offer myself up as a sounding board or a source of advice (keeping in mind that my perspective is limited to my own experiences, of course!). I probably won't keep up with this thread (I'm a little busy in my program now!), but feel free to PM me if I can be of assistance. Good luck! :)

Thanks so much, I'm sure I will need lots of advice throughout this process! :)

Hi Applicants!

Hello!

The first question that I (and I'm sure a lot of others) have is: what was your research experience like?

Hello!

The first question that I (and I'm sure a lot of others) have is: what was your research experience like?

First, let me say again, please PM me if the question is really important to you personally, as I probably won't be able to keep up with this thread (witness the hundreds upon hundreds of posts from last year). However, since I caught this one, I'll answer. I had about 3 years experience across a few labs, an honors thesis, one publication, and a few presentations. I definitely emphasized the broad range of skills I had developed and tasks I had done to show that, even if I hadn't had too many years of experience, I had really made them count! ;)

I'm back for a second crack at this as well (I had my first round 2 years ago and came up empty). I'm starting to get my list of schools together and should begin the POI emails soon...

Here we go again.... :xf:

What's the protocol on POIs who do not respond to your email? I understand that they are super busy so I'm not expecting replies to be immediate but if it's been over two weeks, then what? I'm specifically waiting on two POIs who I really want to apply to work with but I cannot tell from their faculty profile or lab site if they're accepting students. One of them actually states on their lab site that prospective grad students should email him with their stated and interests and CV before applying. Should I send another very brief and polite message to this POI or to any who don't get back to me after more than two weeks?

Thanks!

What's the protocol on POIs who do not respond to your email? I understand that they are super busy so I'm not expecting replies to be immediate but if it's been over two weeks, then what? I'm specifically waiting on two POIs who I really want to apply to work with but I cannot tell from their faculty profile or lab site if they're accepting students. One of them actually states on their lab site that prospective grad students should email him with their stated and interests and CV before applying. Should I send another very brief and polite message to this POI or to any who don't get back to me after more than two weeks?

Thanks!

I'd give them more than 2 weeks, especially at the start of the semester. If you really want to know whether to apply there you could call the dept's main office. If they refer you to the prof then at least you can add on "The dept referred me to you about whether you are accepting students..." or maybe they will know the answer.

Do you all think it is too late for someone who hasn't yet taken the General GRE to apply for this year? I've started preparation for a week or two and was thinking about taking it October 12th or so.

None of the schools that I'm interested in seem to require the subject test so I don't think i'd need to take that.

Do you all think it is too late for someone who hasn't yet taken the General GRE to apply for this year? I've started preparation for a week or two and was thinking about taking it October 12th or so.

None of the schools that I'm interested in seem to require the subject test so I don't think i'd need to take that.

I don't know, because with the new GRE they haven't yet started giving out the results right after the test. Maybe they will in October though. You should check it out at the ETS website. Do you know what schools you want to apply to etc.? I think it can be done if you'll get your GRE score in time, which the ETS website will inform you about (or you can call them). You should also book your test date ASAP!

I'm trying to calculate how much this whole application process is going to cost me and I am wondering if any of you guys may know anything about the following:

On the ETS website, they say how much it'll cost to send the general GRE test scores to schools. They also say how much it'll cost to send the subject test to schools. Finally, they say that you can choose to have both the subject and general GRE score sent on the same piece of paper to the schools, which is what I am planning to do. Hence, I am wondering if anyone knows what that will cost? Will it cost as much as just sending the general score, or will I have to pay extra to include the psych gre on the same report?

It may sound like a trivial question but I am applying to around 20 programs, and I already have to send transcripts from three schools, and the TOEFL, + sometimes extra fees because I'm an international student, so everything adds up quite a bit.

Hi everyone. I'm a first year clinical psych PsyD student who was accepted straight out of undergrad. Just wanted to echo another SDNers post and say that if anyone has any questions about the PsyD process, feel free to PM me :)

If I don't reply immediately, don't take offense. With ~300 pages of reading each week, you tend to get lost in school work!

I'm trying to calculate how much this whole application process is going to cost me and I am wondering if any of you guys may know anything about the following:

On the ETS website, they say how much it'll cost to send the general GRE test scores to schools. They also say how much it'll cost to send the subject test to schools. Finally, they say that you can choose to have both the subject and general GRE score sent on the same piece of paper to the schools, which is what I am planning to do. Hence, I am wondering if anyone knows what that will cost? Will it cost as much as just sending the general score, or will I have to pay extra to include the psych gre on the same report?

It may sound like a trivial question but I am applying to around 20 programs, and I already have to send transcripts from three schools, and the TOEFL, + sometimes extra fees because I'm an international student, so everything adds up quite a bit.

No, it's one price. Just make sure you make the free ones the same on both exams and then once you get all your scores send the others.

Hi everyone! I'm starting my applications to PhD programs in clinical and school psych, and I was wondering if anyone has encountered any especially early application deadlines that we might want to keep in mind--for example, UC Santa Barbera's is November 15th, which is a bit earlier that your typical December 1st deadline. Thanks and good luck to everyone!

No, it's one price. Just make sure you make the free ones the same on both exams and then once you get all your scores send the others.

Great, thanks! Since I was completely hyped when I took the general GRE exam, I didn't request them to send my scores to any schools, so I will have to pay for them all, but I'm glad to hear that they at least can combine both the general and subject score for the price of one! :)

Hi everyone. I'm a first year clinical psych PsyD student who was accepted straight out of undergrad. Just wanted to echo another SDNers post and say that if anyone has any questions about the PsyD process, feel free to PM me :)

If I don't reply immediately, don't take offense. With ~300 pages of reading each week, you tend to get lost in school work!

PsyD process = 170k in debt + undergrad debt.

170k * .068 = $11,560 interest + minimum payment per year = X

average median PsyD private practice wage - X = working class wage with 9 years post-secondary education till your 50 yrs old = Y

Y = anger/frustration/disenchantment/depression/indignation

Y = epic fail

X + Y = PsyD

Oh, oh except for like 8 of the multitude of PsyD programs...

PhD = X/3 + √Y

Last edited:

Yay! Now we have one PsyD and one Ph.D. student to ask if we have any questions. That's perfect! Thanks so much! :)

Don't hate! If you're learning about or doing something you want to do, both X and Y are irrelevant! :)

Y is subjective sure, but X is totally relevant.

Just go to a funded program and if you can't get accepted to one, take a year off to build your CV.

Y is subjective sure, but X is totally relevant.

Just go to a funded program and if you can't get accepted to one, take a year off to build your CV.

Or don't generalize, and realize that grad school routes should be determined on an individual basis. While your post may be true for many people, it's also untrue for many people as well. I attended an unfunded Psy.D. program. However, I have zero undergraduate debt (scholarships, grants). I also ended up earning about $5,000-$10,000 yearly in scholarships my first 4 years (before internship), and will be doing the 10-year LRP. So, try avoiding your vague, stereotyping formulas. It's not like I make one that says Ph.D. = X (elitist) + Y (judgmental). That may be true for some people, but in many cases it's not true at all. ;)

I don't mean to be rude, but can we maybe not make this thread into yet another thread discussing the whole Psy.D. vs Ph.D. debate, debts, and where this field is going? There are plenty of threads covering these topics throughly, which is great, but it would be nice if this thread could continue to be about the application process.

Also, for those who are interested in pursuing a Psy.D. or Ph.D., it's great that we have resources such as Jeina and Modgirl who have offered to answer any questions we might have. There is no need to comment negatively as soon as one sees the word Psy.D. I don't even think any of us know what program Modgirl goes to. Maybe it's one of the funded programs where X is not even relevant.

Anyways, thanks again Modgirl and Jeina! :)

Or don't generalize, and realize that grad school routes should be determined on an individual basis. While your post may be true for many people, it's also untrue for many people as well. I attended an unfunded Psy.D. program. However, I have zero undergraduate debt (scholarships, grants). I also ended up earning about $5,000-$10,000 yearly in scholarships my first 4 years (before internship), and will be doing the 10-year LRP. So, try avoiding your vague, stereotyping formulas. It's not like I make one that says Ph.D. = X (elitist) + Y (judgmental). That may be true for some people, but in many cases it's not true at all. ;)

Good point and it's good to see someone mention scholarships.

However, please don't fail to mention how far in debt you are 4 years in, including living expenses. 7.5k (averaging) for 4 years is not much against 180k in tuition and bad job prospects...that is if it's a non-uni program. Hopefully you'll get a 20k per year internship, problem is almost 75% of that will go toward paying the interest on those loans and making the minimum payment because you will no longer be a full-time student.

Scholarships are great, but by their very nature, few get them.

This is not a "some" but "many" argument. For unfunded programs it's an "virtually all" and "this guy I know" argument.

Last edited: