2011-2012 Psychology PhD/Psy.D. Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Everyone who took the Nov 12th GRE subject test-- just a reminder that scores are available by phone starting this morning! (for a fee of $12....)

Members don't see this ad.

Everyone who took the Nov 12th GRE subject test-- just a reminder that scores are available by phone starting this morning! (for a fee of $12....)

I woke up early to call and get my scores. I did really well and am very excited, just wish they gave you the subscale scores in addition to the overall psychology score.

Finally submitted all 12 applications :D. Let the waiting game commence...

Members don't see this ad :)
Back in September I sat down and met with the director of one of the programs I'm applying to. I'm now working on the application for that program and I'm wondering if I should mention in my statement that I met with him or if that's a strange/out of place thing to write. Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this?

Back in September I sat down and met with the director of one of the programs I'm applying to. I'm now working on the application for that program and I'm wondering if I should mention in my statement that I met with him or if that's a strange/out of place thing to write. Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this?

I'm not sure if this helps, but I'm reapplying to a few programs and I briefly mentioned my impressions of my visit to them last year. I think if you mention your talk as part of the reason you decided to apply to the program, it would be relevant. I wouldn't do it to name drop though.

Hi ALL,

I'm currently finishing up my masters degree in counseling. My applications to 7 counseling psych programs all went down to the drain (not even a single interview). Right now I'm preparing to apply again (to both counseling psy and counselor ed programs) for 2013 fall.

I listed at least 3 faculties that I would like to work with in my SOPs for each program the first round. However, I was told by a former counseling psy graduate (who graduated in about 2005) that it was not the standard practice. So my first question is whether or not it is necessary for me to indicate whom I'm interested in working with in my SOP?

Secondly, I would be very happy NOT to indicate whom I want to work with if not necessary. The broad area I'm interested In studying is the mental health needs in China(where I'm originally from) and use research findings to inform action to raise public awareness to mental health issues. In other words, I'm interested in any topic that can be meaningful to China, e.g. perceptions of suicidal ideations and other mental disorders, the role of family in the treatment of mental distress... Given my broad area of interest, I feel most of the professors can be helpful to me. If I do have to list names of professors that I would like to work with in my SOP, can someone suggest me how I can narrow down the list? Where should I start?

Thank you all very very much in advance!
First-Time SDN Poster

Hi ALL,

I'm currently finishing up my masters degree in counseling. My applications to 7 counseling psych programs all went down to the drain (not even a single interview). Right now I'm preparing to apply again (to both counseling psy and counselor ed programs) for 2013 fall.

I listed at least 3 faculties that I would like to work with in my SOPs for each program the first round. However, I was told by a former counseling psy graduate (who graduated in about 2005) that it was not the standard practice. So my first question is whether or not it is necessary for me to indicate whom I'm interested in working with in my SOP?

Secondly, I would be very happy NOT to indicate whom I want to work with if not necessary. The broad area I'm interested In studying is the mental health needs in China(where I'm originally from) and use research findings to inform action to raise public awareness to mental health issues. In other words, I'm interested in any topic that can be meaningful to China, e.g. perceptions of suicidal ideations and other mental disorders, the role of family in the treatment of mental distress... Given my broad area of interest, I feel most of the professors can be helpful to me. If I do have to list names of professors that I would like to work with in my SOP, can someone suggest me how I can narrow down the list? Where should I start?

Thank you all very very much in advance!
First-Time SDN Poster

Honestly, the past two cycles I applied, I listed 3 faculty members with whom I was interested in working--some of who I had emailed, and others whose research I just found interesting. Unfortunately what I didn't realize is that this is not the best way to approach things. In fact, very few schools have 3 faculty members that focus in one specific area of research--so listing three made it look like I wasn't focused in my interests and was just applying to get in somewhere, anywhere, with anyone. (Which after receiving feedback from the programs, made me look unsure and unprepared)

This time around, I took the advice of a current doctoral student and first focused my research interests. I then contacted faculty members with who I was interested in working with via email--gave then a brief background on my past and current work, expressed my interest in working with them, and asked whether they would be taking a student for the next school year. I ended my emails with a comment stating that if they were taking a student, I would like to speak to then further via phone about their current research (cause research on websites are rarely up to date). (some faculty preferred not to speak on the phone, but many were very receptive)

I did this well ahead of time, so that when it came time to actually apply and send in my personal statement, I only listed faculty members who had responded to me, had been in contact with me via email and/or phone. This was usually only one or maybe two individuals with related interests from each school. If I had contacted multiple individuals from the same school with very different research interests, and had gotten responses from both, I picked the one closest to my area of interest and the one I felt I had received a better response from. If their interests were close, I listed them both, providing logic behind why I chose these particular people. I did not, out of the 15 schools I applied to, list more than 2 EVER. Most of my applications only mentioned ONE person that I had been in contact with and felt I wanted to work with.

Keep in mind, I applied only to clinical phd programs--so I don't know how different the counseling application process is. Also, know that only by mentioning a faculty member's name will you likely be more seriously considered by the faculty member---if you don't mention anyone, it is possible that your application will not even make it to the professor's desk--or will be considered less seriously. Ultimately, I received interviews only from professors that I spoke to on the phone AND had a great (specific) research fit and connection with.

One last thing--make sure that your research interests apply both to the US and China--and emphasis the research CONCEPT and not the country you're interested in implementing your research ultimately. (UNLESS the faculty member specifically is interested in cultural similarities/differences between East Asian and US mental health awareness).

This is just my personal experience---others may have better suggestions. Any other questions, feel free to pm me! Good luck!