2011-2012 University of Arizona Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no idea why they are accepting more OOS, but they purposely wouldn't raise the % of OOS acceptances for financial purposes. The difference would be less than a million dollars, and think how much the university gets from the state endowment and alumni donations.

I wouldn't be surprised it it was for finacial purposes. The difference in OOS tuition and IS tuition is $30,000 per year multiply that by the additional 40 or so new OOS students and you have about 1,200,000 dollars a year saved. Which while not necesarily alot of money, is still a sizable cut, especially for a state government that is so broke that it sold it's Capital Building.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The UC schools are having this exact same problem right now. In fact, there are some pending law suits I've heard. State schools are losing sight of their commitments, and taking OOS students willing to pay instead. It's a shame and it's very short sighted. This kind of behavior is gonna have repercussions on the state of healthcare in Arizona in a decade or so.

What about the language essay? Is anyone who was put on hold fluent in spanish?

I am.

3.8/32, fluent in Spanish/learned as a second language (and used in a medical/clinical setting), 3,000+ hours of clinical experience & 1,000+ hours of community service (both clinical and non-clinical), multiple research projects with regional and national presentations (first author on a national presentation), unique leadership experiences, etc.

But OOS.

Result at U of A? Pre-Interview Hold.

...NBD.

EDIT: Just to make this clear -- I was giving this as an example. I know for a fact that my letters practically said I walked on water and healed the sick with nothing more than the words from my mouth, so it wasn't the letters either. It just makes me wonder what they were actually looking for!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The UC schools are having this exact same problem right now. In fact, there are some pending law suits I've heard. State schools are losing sight of their commitments, and taking OOS students willing to pay instead. It's a shame and it's very short sighted. This kind of behavior is gonna have repercussions on the state of healthcare in Arizona in a decade or so.

+pity+ +pity+ +pity+ +pity+ +pity+

No, California is much worst. Our state is on the brink of insolvency and companies are moving out to Texas or Arizona because of higher taxes. But, we raise more taxes in order to make up for the lost revenue, and it becomes an endless cycle due to the structural flaws within California. My point: just because Californians study in U of A, does not mean that we won't stay. California is becoming depressing, and I would stay in AZ if given the chance to go to U of A.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about Californians flooding Arizona Medical schools. Diversity is always a good thing. I love OOS students in the UC system because they are such an asset since they bring so many different things to the table. Our grad students are from all over this country and the world, and their unique perspectives really add to the mix. It's a good thing ultimately. I think that it is much more important to recruit quality applicants who genuinely want to serve. It has less to do what your address says.

Point and case where closing yourself off the the rest of the world is bad: China when they closed their borders to foreigners. The rest of the world progressed and it ultimately hurt China. After they opened up their doors and had a few revolutions here and there, look at where they are now. U o A isn't as closed off as China was, but you get what I mean. Increasing your applicant pool is a good thing. You are able to see so many new things when you take your blinders off. U o A is doing the right thing, but for the wrong reasons. But at least they are doing the right thing. And there are many other solutions to attract physicians to AZ. You just have to be creative and think outside of the box, which is a skill I think many of physicians lack.

+pity+ +pity+ +pity+ +pity+ +pity+

No, California is much worst. Our state is on the brink of insolvency and companies are moving out to Texas or Arizona because of higher taxes. But, we raise more taxes in order to make up for the lost revenue, and it becomes an endless cycle due to the structural flaws within California. My point: just because Californians study in U of A, does not mean that we won't stay. California is becoming depressing, and I would stay in AZ if given the chance to go to U of A.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about Californians flooding Arizona Medical schools. Diversity is always a good thing. I love OOS students in the UC system because they are such an asset since they bring so many different things to the table. Our grad students are from all over this country and the world, and their unique perspectives really add to the mix. It's a good thing ultimately. I think that it is much more important to recruit quality applicants who genuinely want to serve. It has less to do what your address says.

Point and case where closing yourself off the the rest of the world is bad: China when they closed their borders to foreigners. The rest of the world progressed and it ultimately hurt China. After they opened up their doors and had a few revolutions here and there, look at where they are now. U o A isn't as closed off as China was, but you get what I mean. Increasing your applicant pool is a good thing. You are able to see so many new things when you take your blinders off. U o A is doing the right thing, but for the wrong reasons. But at least they are doing the right thing. And there are many other solutions to attract physicians to AZ. You just have to be creative and think outside of the box, which is a skill I think many of physicians lack.

I think you misunderstood me. I wasn't calling out CAers goint to UA in particular. I was just giving an example of where UA is heading. IDC what happens to UA, I'm obviously not gonna be going there. Hold FTW!

I think you misunderstood me. I wasn't calling out CAers goint to UA in particular. I was just giving an example of where UA is heading. IDC what happens to UA, I'm obviously not gonna be going there. Hold FTW!

No, I understand your perspective. I see your point of view, but your posts sound xenophobic. Again, I think the direction UA is going is the right direction, but for the wrong reasons. You want to do the wrong thing, but for the right reasons. It's complicated, but in the end, UA and AZ will benefit from an influx of OOS talent.

No, I understand your perspective. I see your point of view, but your posts sound xenophobic. Again, I think the direction UA is going is the right direction, but for the wrong reasons. You want to do the wrong thing, but for the right reasons. It's complicated, but in the end, UA and AZ will benefit from an influx of OOS talent.

Lol.

You don't know what you're talking about and none of your posts make any sense.

What doesn't make sense? Letting in OOS students is a positive step, adds diversity, and is a good thing. But UA is doing it for money or the wrong reasons. How does that not make any sense?

You laugh because you know it's true.

I laugh because I'm not sure you know what that word means.

What doesn't make sense? Letting in OOS students is a positive step, adds diversity, and is a good thing. But UA is doing it for money or the wrong reasons. How does that not make any sense?

Lol twice. Someone's been reading too many admissions brochures.

I laugh because I'm not sure you know what that word means.

fear of foreigners. often irrational.

Lol twice. Someone's been reading too many admissions brochures.

Naw, it's nice to get diverse people. I lived in the diversity hall, so the breakdown was 33% socal, 33% norcal, and 33% OOS. It was interesting living with people from South Carolina, Hawaii, Israel, and more. Norcal is day and night difference from socal even though we are in the same state, so that was an experience in itself. In my lab, my PI is from Denmark, post doc from Buenos Aires, a grad student who was from France but studied in Canada but now lives in socal, and another grad student from China. I know it sounds like a bunch of BS, but diversity really adds the mix and it expands your network. It really does work out in the end. It's sad that so many of you guys don't buy into it. You're missing out, especially in this quickly globalizing world.

Naw, it's nice to get diverse people. I lived in the diversity hall, so the breakdown was 33% socal, 33% norcal, and 33% OOS. It was interesting living with people from South Carolina, Hawaii, Israel, and more. Norcal is day and night difference from socal even though we are in the same state, so that was an experience in itself. In my lab, my PI is from Denmark, post doc from Buenos Aires, a grad student who was from France but studied in Canada but now lives in socal, and another grad student from China. I know it sounds like a bunch of BS, but diversity really adds the mix and it expands your network. It really does work out in the end. It's sad that so many of you guys don't buy into it. You're missing out, especially in this quickly globalizing world.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow it's hard to take you seriously. Non-Arizona residents = foreigners? BTW, Cali isn't the only state with people of different cultures. I know it's hard to believe that a backwards red state like Arizona might have it's own inherent diversity, but that fact seems to elude you.

Now, I am questioning if you understand what xenophobia means. Xenophobia works in this situation too because you instate folks have some negative feelings about out of state folks coming in. Geez, please google it or something.

And I never said or implied that AZ is backwards or anything like that. You are assuming and reaching. I am just saying having a new influx of bright/educated people from different walks of life is a good thing. Anyone would benefit from it.

And correct me if I'm wrong (I'm not), but a state-funded institution has the specific purpose of training physicians to meet the healthcare needs of the populations within the state, not exporting physicians back to CA.

Here is an assumption you are making that weakens your argument. You are assuming that many Californians or OOS students will leave after their medical training. That is an unfounded statement because you or I don't know that. Conversely, just because students are IS does not mean that they will stay in AZ. There are holes everywhere in your argument. As I have stated earlier, if I were offered acceptance into UA, I would highly consider staying since I would already have roots in AZ and have friends who now already have houses there.

Side note:
There are more solutions to recruiting doctors to underserved areas or in AZ in general. Hospitals can help pay for insurance, you can make future resident students sign a contract that they will practice at least X amount of years after their residency, or whatever. There are a lot solutions. People just have to be creative.

How does my post not make any sense? I just gave the definition one working definition of xenophobia and then described an experience where I embraced diversity. How does that not make any sense?

How does my post not make any sense? I just gave the definition one working definition of xenophobia and then described an experience where I embraced diversity. How does that not make any sense?

Dear Quiksilver005,

You're not nearly as smart or worldly as you think you are. Please leave the AZ threads alone and never come back. Thanks!

-Yaphet

Dear Quiksilver005,

You're not nearly as smart or worldly as you think you are. Please leave the AZ threads alone and never come back. Thanks!

-Yaphet

See, you are making false accusations that my posts don't make sense. You have no leg to stand on. Did you even bother to read them? We can have different perspectives and can co-exist peacefully without insulting each other. :thumbup:

[QUOTE We can have different perspectives and can co-exist peacefully without insulting each other. :thumbup:[/QUOTE]

I, too, had received a similar backlash to a post that was nothing but truth and opinion regarding the lack of interaction with the Tucson med campus. It concerns me that the pool is turning against one another considering we could be in the classroom together.

We should be more concerned with the lack of interview invitations, as a whole. It's not like OOS are receiving them disproportionately to IS.

See, you are making false accusations that my posts don't make sense. You have no leg to stand on. Did you even bother to read them? We can have different perspectives and can co-exist peacefully without insulting each other. :thumbup:

yeah, i definitely see your point.

I like when people count their own unsupported opinions that fly in the face of common sense as "arguments" and act like they are based on any facts or logic.

My argument is that a state school, funded by the state government, is set up so that physicians can be trained from the state population to work in the state. That doesn't mean that everyone who goes to a state school practices there, but that is still the goal. Why have any cap on OOS students if that didn't matter? Why have in-state tuition vs. out-of-state tuition? The reason is that people from other states have connections (professional, personal, etc.) from their home states and as such will be more likely to live and work there. So, the people most likely to go to school at the UofA and stay in Arizona are residents of Arizona. So, it is frustrating that the cap has been raised to 50% OOS students because I believe it will lead to less native Arizonans going to school and practicing here.

As is typical for most people arguing about things they really don't know anything about, Quicksilver005 tried to paint everyone who disagreed with his silly "diversity" argument as "xenophobic" and then complains when people insult or disagree with him/her. Your PI is from France or whatever? Cool story bro. That has nothing to do with what was being discussed.

Last edited:
@Quicksilver/ Yaphet/ Slack3r/ AZFutureDoc/ and anyone else...

This is a dumb argument to be having. UA has changed their policy, and whining about it/ arguing why it might be good doesn't change the fact that 50% of the class will be OOS applicants.

Furthermore, we are all potential classmates so please chill out and be nice to eachother... the commradarie of last years thread is a stark contrast with the dis-unity of this years thread.

If we can get over our differences and be happy for eachother than I hope we all get accepted into the same class together... if not than med school is going to suck for some people.

Here's to hoping there won't be a huge divide between the OOS students and the IS students! :)

[QUOTE We can have different perspectives and can co-exist peacefully without insulting each other. :thumbup:

I, too, had received a similar backlash to a post that was nothing but truth and opinion regarding the lack of interaction with the Tucson med campus. It concerns me that the pool is turning against one another considering we could be in the classroom together.

We should be more concerned with the lack of interview invitations, as a whole. It's not like OOS are receiving them disproportionately to IS.[/QUOTE]

Ah, I remember that post. And I complete agree with your point, as I have stated earlier before.

Using "xenophobia" to refer to other US residents is both hyperbolic and alarmist. If you really think there is a large culture difference between Southern California and Arizona, or any state and AZ for that matter, guess what, you're not as worldly and diverse as you thought.

Many IS AZ residents on this forum have negative feelings toward OOS simply because we have different addresses or come from different states. That can be xenophobic. There is this fear that OOS will come in, take all your spots in medical school, use up your resources, and then leave AZ. Is this not what you are saying?

And of course there are differences between states. Ignoring them or pretending they don't exist would be very shortsighted and it would make it difficult for you to serve underserved communities in AZ if you don't acknowledge the differences. D'uh. We shouldn't pretend that we are all the same. We should acknowledge the differences and work together to come up with a working solution. This really reminds me of "Diversity Day" in "The Office"...

You also assume that there is an inherent lack of diversity within Arizona itself, which not only shows your ignorance, but is patently false.

But you've taken this argument in a different direction than anyone intended. AZ residents are upset, and in my opinion, rightfully so, that a state-funded institution has all of a sudden offered 50% of seats to OOS applicants. I don't remember anyone mentioning "diversity" until you brought it up.

Where did I say there is an inherent lack of diversity in Arizona? I am just saying that OOS bring something new, which is a good point and is why I am in support of UA increasing spots to OOS. It is not off topic because I believe I bring up a valid point. Whether you disagree or not, that's an entirely different story.

And dude, just man up. Seriously, just sack up. If you really are so unhappy about the changes in policy, then withdraw from UA. Why give UA tons of your money if you disagree or are unhappy with their policies and actions? :confused:

Here's to hoping there won't be a huge divide between the OOS students and the IS students! :)

Oh I'm down for this.

@Quicksilver/ Yaphet/ Slack3r/ AZFutureDoc/ and anyone else...

This is a dumb argument to be having. UA has changed their policy, and whining about it/ arguing why it might be good doesn't change the fact that 50% of the class will be OOS applicants.

Furthermore, we are all potential classmates so please chill out and be nice to eachother... the commradarie of last years thread is a stark contrast with the dis-unity of this years thread.

If we can get over our differences and be happy for eachother than I hope we all get accepted into the same class together... if not than med school is going to suck for some people.

It is an pointless argument.

yeah, i definitely see your point.

Thank you. Appreciate your support.

I like when people count their own unsupported opinions that fly in the face of common sense as "arguments" and act like they are based on any facts or logic.

My argument is that a state school, funded by the state government, is set up so that physicians can be trained from the state population to work in the state. That doesn't mean that everyone who goes to a state school practices there, but that is still the goal. Why have any cap on OOS students if that didn't matter? Why have in-state tuition vs. out-of-state tuition? The reason is that people from other states have connections (professional, personal, etc.) from their home states and as such will be more likely to live and work there. So, the people most likely to go to school at the UofA and stay in Arizona are residents of Arizona. So, it is frustrating that the cap has been raised to 50% OOS students because I believe it will lead to less native Arizonans going to school and practicing here.

As is typical for most people arguing about things they really don't know anything about, Quicksilver005 tried to paint everyone who disagreed with his silly "diversity" argument as "xenophobic" and then complains when people insult or disagree with him/her. Your PI is from France or whatever? Cool story bro. That has nothing to do with what was being discussed.

See, you miss read my post again. I am just saying that I have experience diversity at my undergraduate institute and it was thoroughly enriching. That's all I'm saying. In response, people are saying that I am reading too many adcom brochures. :laugh:

I don't know how it works in AZ, but our taxes help pay for the fees for schools. That is why we have IS and OOS tuition...because OOS did not put a penny into the UC, Cal-state or JC system until they enroll while IS residents have.

And in response to your apprehension of fewer AZ doctors, I have mentioned that there are other ways to recruit doctors. I also would argue that if people really want to serve AZ and are really that passionate about helping their home state, then those AZ residents can go study medical school somewhere else and come back to practice in AZ after all their training. Nothing is stopping them from doing so.

And in response to your apprehension of fewer AZ doctors, I have mentioned that there are other ways to recruit doctors. I also would argue that if people really want to serve AZ and are really that passionate about helping their home state, then those AZ residents can go study medical school somewhere else and come back to practice in AZ after all their training. Nothing is stopping them from doing so.

lolwut? Who goes back to Arizona after seeing how much cooler most of the rest of the country is?

This might clear up a little bit of the speculation going around this thread as to WHY the UA schools are allowed to accept up to 50% out of state applicants.

Someone in my interview group at the PHOENIX campus asked about this change. The administration then informed us that this change was made because the number of IS applicants for Arizona has decreased by 10-15% each year for the past several years and they want to ensure that they will have a class of students that they feel are the most qualified.

ALSO, they said that this does not mean that they were necessarily admitting 50% OOS residents, but they want to have that option to ensure that all matriculated students are qualified.

I know this is all from the Phoenix Campus, but I see no reason that this information wouldn't apply at the Tucson campus as well.

This might clear up a little bit of the speculation going around this thread as to WHY the UA schools are allowed to accept up to 50% out of state applicants.

Someone in my interview group at the PHOENIX campus asked about this change. The administration then informed us that this change was made because the number of IS applicants for Arizona has decreased by 10-15% each year for the past several years and they want to ensure that they will have a class of students that they feel are the most qualified.

ALSO, they said that this does not mean that they were necessarily admitting 50% OOS residents, but they want to have that option to ensure that all matriculated students are qualified.

I know this is all from the Phoenix Campus, but I see no reason that this information wouldn't apply at the Tucson campus as well.

Interesting. It may be a combination of both money and shrinking applicant pool...or not. I don't know.

Quicksilver,

Just stop. Please.

-A fellow Californian and UA-Tucson hopeful:xf:

I'll put down my guns if everyone else puts down theirs. Fair?

x2! Of course, we'd all be accepted students at this point, so I definitely wouldn't be resentful of anything! :)

For those interviewing this week, please keep us posted on the day and what to expect. Is there a student mixer the night before like Phoenix?

Have not heard anything about a mixer or anything, but the only info I have received was with the initial email. Im interviewing next tuesday (oct 4). Good luck to everybody interviewing this week.

The policy is actually for a maximum total OOSers between both campuses. So, Phoenix OOS + Tucson OOS cannot be greater than 50% of the total accepted. Each campus must compensate accordingly.

I really do hope this is not a major point of division in your class. I am an OOSer and we have a wonderful class this year. There are great IS and OOS classmates, and I am glad everyone is here, regardless of what state they are from. Plus, some of the technical OOSers actually grew up in AZ and their parents had to move OOS so they lost their IS residency. Military service can also impact residency. There are many different situations. Anyway, I basically just wanted to jump in wish you all luck and encourage you to support each other. The admissions process is a long one, and med school is longer. The more support and friends you have, the better. Some of the SDNers from my app thread have become great friends.

Again, good luck and let me know if you have any specific questions.

I am someone who wasn't totally thrilled with the 50% OOS change--but this was purely because I wanted 75% of the seats to go to IS students and increase my odds of getting one. I don't feel any animosity or resentment to the OOS students who get those seats. I am only entitled to a seat if I am offered one, and only my application and my interview day will dictate that. If I don't get a seat, it will be because of me, not because of OOS students.

I just wanted to add this in. Personally it is a tiny bit frustrating to see other state schools accept like 90% of IS students, and then have Arizona change to 50%. I am over it now, but it didn't help that there are well-known budget issues with the state (especially with education), so my gut response was that the change was financially motivated. It appears I am wrong about that.

Have not heard anything about a mixer or anything, but the only info I have received was with the initial email. Im interviewing next tuesday (oct 4). Good luck to everybody interviewing this week.
Are you interviewing in the morning or the afternoon?

So, both my secondary applications and fees for Phoenix and Tucson have been received. For those who already know they are interviewing, how long did it take to get an interview invite? 3.6/35 non-trad IS here, so I know I'll probably get one, but the waiting is pretty hard.

Did you get a confirmation email after you scheduled the interview?

So, both my secondary applications and fees for Phoenix and Tucson have been received. For those who already know they are interviewing, how long did it take to get an interview invite? 3.6/35 non-trad IS here, so I know I'll probably get one, but the waiting is pretty hard.

^ read the past two pages...someone with your stats is not guaranteed to get an II from tucson anymore...PHX definitely but maybe not tucson

Did you get a confirmation email after you scheduled the interview?
yea i did it says the check in times and travel info, parking etc

i wouldnt be arrogant with the application cycle...many people on this thread were really pissed off as they had the same stats or better as you and are now on hold for UA-tucson (also IS)...def not a good idea to assume youll get an interview invite but good luck!

I'm more of a lurker-type, but felt I should respond to whatever it is going on in this thread. I won't pretend to know anything about this topic personally, but I can tell you all that according to one of the MS-2s at my Phoenix interview, the OOS percentage is increasing because there are more seats available total in Arizona for medical students in relation to number of in-state applicants. He said that the powers that be felt that by admitting a large percent of all Arizona residents that apply to fill the available seats, the "quality of student" and reputation would go down. Apparently attracting OOS talent increases your street cred in the academic medical world.

There are thousands of applicants every year that don't get invited to interview at their respective state school, and Arizona offers interviews to a higher percentage of in-state applicants that many other state schools. I know it sucks, but saying that you "got trolled hard" because you didn't get an interview yet makes you sound like a future doctor I wouldn't want to interact with.

^ read the past two pages...someone with your stats is not guaranteed to get an II from tucson anymore...PHX definitely but maybe not tucson

I wonder if they are somehow giving these early interviews to EITHER Tucson or Phoenix but not both. I say this because I have slightly lower stats than a lot of the people who are upset about not getting a tucson interview (3.4/35), but I have a very strong Tucson connection in relation to Phoenix (I live and own property here, worked at University Medical Center, made it extremely clear that Tucson was my top choice, etc.). I got a Tucson interview on the first day they released them, but I have not heard anything at all from Phoenix. I would assume my stats would get me an "auto-invite" if Phoenix was doing that, but maybe the two campuses communicate and do their early interviews based on more than just numbers (i.e. who they think would be a best fit for their campus, most likely to go there, etc.)

I'm more of a lurker-type, but felt I should respond to whatever it is going on in this thread. I won't pretend to know anything about this topic personally, but I can tell you all that according to one of the MS-2s at my Phoenix interview, the OOS percentage is increasing because there are more seats available total in Arizona for medical students in relation to number of in-state applicants. He said that the powers that be felt that by admitting a large percent of all Arizona residents that apply to fill the available seats, the "quality of student" and reputation would go down. Apparently attracting OOS talent increases your street cred in the academic medical world.

There are thousands of applicants every year that don't get invited to interview at their respective state school, and Arizona offers interviews to a higher percentage of in-state applicants that many other state schools. I know it sucks, but saying that you "got trolled hard" because you didn't get an interview yet makes you sound like a future doctor I wouldn't want to interact with.

But if you had high stats you would expect to get an interview at your state institution. I see your point, but being upset about not getting an interview to a school near your family, that you might have wanted to attend for a very long time is a very human emotion that future doctors are not immune to. And a state schools job as previously posted by other members is and should be to train physicians for the need of doctors in their state. AND statistically a doctor is much more likely to do his or her residency in the state they went to medical school and statistically resident who train in a state more likely to to end up practicing their state.

You also have to understand U of A interviewed all IS residents above 3.0 and 27 just last year, so this change is sudden and very unexpected. in within the past 5 years Arizona schools were 100% IS so this is a drastic change from the norm in AZ.

Finally look back at some of the people who got holds...people with 34 + MCATs and 3.8+ gpas. These are very competitive applicants that didnt get an interview, but a hold. Whatever excuse the school may have about having too many seats for competitive Az residents to fill is BS because many of these student are top notch students and I assume many of them would love to stay in the state they were raised in to be close to their family and friends.

Sooooo there are a lot of things to consider before saying you wouldnt want to interact with these people because they are upset about being put on hold at THEIR Az med school which they have been paying taxes to for 21+ years of theirs and their parents lives!

I wonder if they are somehow giving these early interviews to EITHER Tucson or Phoenix but not both. I say this because I have slightly lower stats than a lot of the people who are upset about not getting a tucson interview (3.4/35), but I have a very strong Tucson connection in relation to Phoenix (I live and own property here, worked at University Medical Center, made it extremely clear that Tucson was my top choice, etc.). I got a Tucson interview on the first day they released them, but I have not heard anything at all from Phoenix. I would assume my stats would get me an "auto-invite" if Phoenix was doing that, but maybe the two campuses communicate and do their early interviews based on more than just numbers (i.e. who they think would be a best fit for their campus, most likely to go there, etc.)

Plausible explanation, as a lot of us have already interviewed at PHX. Yet my application would suggest that I have a much larger connection to Tucson. I have lived, worked, shadowed and studied at the U of A in Tucson for 4 years.

I don't think so. It would take a lot of time to go over each application between the two offices to figure out which campus would be a best fit and only offer an interview from one campus. They are swamped with applications as it is.

There are some people who've gotten interviews from both campuses.

IMO, Tucson must have done some really careful screening this year. I only say that because I got an interview with less than a 3.4 UG GPA and didn't break 30 on my MCAT.

I am IS. No interview from Phoenix yet.

Last edited:
Sorry MrLahey, I meant those to be two separate points. I was in no way trying to say that people who were put on hold were Arizona's less qualified in-state applicants, because clearly that doesn't seem to be the case stat-wise. The first part was just me sharing the explanation I was given as to why the percentage of OOS students was increasing, not why any particular in-state students with high stats were put on hold.

I do understand how frustrated students that were expecting an early auto-interview and were then placed on hold at one of their state schools must feel. That sucks. But the reality is that we're all probably going to passed over for interviews from schools we thought were matches or "safety schools" based on our stats. I just wanted to point out that all AZ residents applying to med school have had better "in-state odds" for interviewing in the past than most other states, and although being put on hold with high stats would certainly confuse and upset most people, the sense of entitlement in some of the posts following the "hold" emails didn't sit well with me personally.

Is tomorrow the first interview day at UofA? If so, good luck to everybody going tomorrow.

And bad luck to everybody interviewing in addition to me on tuesday. Just kidding!

Is tomorrow the first interview day at UofA? If so, good luck to everybody going tomorrow.

And bad luck to everybody interviewing in addition to me on tuesday. Just kidding!

Tomorrow is the first official interview day for Tucson. Good luck to everyone and feel free to ask lots of questions of the students/staff you meet on your interview day. We were all in your shoes, and everyone is generally very welcoming and willing to share their experiences with interviewees.

Feel free to PM me anytime with any questions as well, and I will try and get you answers.

Best wishes M0s!

Status
Not open for further replies.