2011-2012 University of Arizona Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Im interested to hear how interviews went today for people. How did you like the MMI format? What types of interactions did you have with current students? Overall impressions of the school?

Members don't see this ad.

Im interested to hear how interviews went today for people. How did you like the MMI format? What types of interactions did you have with current students? Overall impressions of the school?

I wrote a long response to this question and then deleted it, but i'll give a summary:

Absolutely love the University of Arizona, and I would be very happy attending medical school there because of the clinical exposure, research opportunities and easy-going student environment; being in-state doesn't hurt. (also, rumor is they are getting rid of internal rankings next year).

Students were really friendly and enthusiastic about the program ... and their ipads, I do like that the ipad system syncs everything students need for class and studying. Several other med schools are also starting to use these.

MMI today ... well ... yeah. I'm not going to go into details on this one, but lets hope they fix the kinks before next round, which i think they will cause it got kinda ridiculous by the end (admissions agreed on this one, and they apologized during our tour). Also, the questions are slightly different from phx, there are only 9 stations and 2 of the stations are traditional questions (why UATucson, why medicine, diversity, unique experiences, etc ...), meaning that you actually could prepare for this one they way you would prep for a 1 on 1 as far as the trad questions.

Lunch was pleasant and the ipad self-guided experience was a good chance to decompress and get to chat with the other applicants. make sure to check out the ASTEC Lab on the 4th floor.

Good luck, PM me for specifics. :thumbup:

I wrote a long response to this question and then deleted it, but i'll give a summary:

Absolutely love the University of Arizona, and I would be very happy attending medical school there because of the clinical exposure, research opportunities and easy-going student environment; being in-state doesn't hurt. (also, rumor is they are getting rid of internal rankings next year).

Students were really friendly and enthusiastic about the program ... and their ipads, I do like that the ipad system syncs everything students need for class and studying. Several other med schools are also starting to use these.

MMI today ... well ... yeah. I'm not going to go into details on this one, but lets hope they fix the kinks before next round, which i think they will cause it got kinda ridiculous by the end (admissions agreed on this one, and they apologized during our tour). Also, the questions are slightly different from phx, there are only 9 stations and 2 of the stations are traditional questions (why UATucson, why medicine, diversity, unique experiences, etc ...), meaning that you actually could prepare for this one they way you would prep for a 1 on 1 as far as the trad questions.

Lunch was pleasant and the ipad self-guided experience was a good chance to decompress and get to chat with the other applicants. make sure to check out the ASTEC Lab on the 4th floor.

Good luck, PM me for specifics. :thumbup:
Thanks for the information. I have an interview on coming Tuesday. Is it possible for you tell what was the MMI format like and what were the questions. I really appreciate your help. thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the information. I have an interview on coming Tuesday. Is it possible for you tell what was the MMI format like and what were the questions. I really appreciate your help. thanks

I thought the MMI format was enjoyable. We are not allowed to disclose the questions. They made us sign a waver saying that we would not disclose any of the content of the interview. It would be unfair if some people knew the questions in advance while others did not. I found the interview much less stressful than I was expecting it to be. Just have fun with it and be yourself.

I thought the MMI format was enjoyable. We are not allowed to disclose the questions. They made us sign a waver saying that we would not disclose any of the content of the interview. It would be unfair if some people knew the questions in advance while others did not. I found the interview much less stressful than I was expecting it to be. Just have fun with it and be yourself.

Have you interviewed at Phoenix yet?? Since Tucson switched to the MMI, they've opened themselves up for applicants to compare our experiences at both schools. I really shouldn't stack Phoenix against Tucson cause I love both their programs, but phoenix did a way better job during the interview day, just sayin. (don't hate me Tucson). Also, admissions said they will probably not send admissions offers until December.

Have you interviewed at Phoenix yet?? Since Tucson switched to the MMI, they've opened themselves up for applicants to compare our experiences at both schools. I really shouldn't stack Phoenix against Tucson cause I love both their programs, but phoenix did a way better job during the interview day, just sayin. (don't hate me Tucson). Also, admissions said they will probably not send admissions offers until December.

I have not interviewed at Phoenix yet. My interview there is November 14th. So far, I've been very impressed with how efficient Phoenix is. I got an interview invitation the day after I received my complete status email. I also like the fact that they start handing out acceptances sooner. It's going to be hard to wait at least two months to find out from Tucson.

Besides the questions being confidential, IMO, with MMI, the exact questions don't really matter. It is more about your demeanor and thinking process. As MS's and eventually docs, you are put on the spot all the time. I think the goal is to look at how you handle it rather than prepare an answer. My advice would be to stay calm, take a breath and just think through it. Of course, this is all just my thoughts, so take it as that.

Good luck!

Do you guys know if they see your application before you get interviewed at each station? They don't ask anything specific about you and your experiences do they?

Do you guys know if they see your application before you get interviewed at each station? They don't ask anything specific about you and your experiences do they?

They are evaluating separate categories from your application so you don't have to worry about them already seeing your amcas or secondary essays. There are 2 stations that ask about your experiences and/or motivation, but they are really general and easy to answer.

They are evaluating separate categories from your application so you don't have to worry about them already seeing your amcas or secondary essays. There are 2 stations that ask about your experiences and/or motivation, but they are really general and easy to answer.

Thanks! Anything else you can think of that would be good to know for the interview day?

Besides the questions being confidential, IMO, with MMI, the exact questions don't really matter. It is more about your demeanor and thinking process. As MS's and eventually docs, you are put on the spot all the time. I think the goal is to look at how you handle it rather than prepare an answer. My advice would be to stay calm, take a breath and just think through it. Of course, this is all just my thoughts, so take it as that.

Good luck!

is it like role-play? what if you're not so good at acting and playing out role-play scenarios? if they have actors in there who might act angrily at us, or pretend to be a patient in distress or some similar scenario (totally just guessing, i have no info about the interviews), we would act differently than in real life, because we already know this is not real - our true emotions are not going get aroused. so how are you supposed to put up an act and be evaluated for medical school based on that? doesn't seem like a fair way to judge you based on how good an actor you are....

I haven't interviewed at Tucson yet so I can't speak to them much. Without giving away the actual situation at Phoenix, the scenario is such where it actually does feel real. The actors that Phoenix used were pretty good. I am horrible at acting and hiding my true feelings about something, but while I was in that room it felt real to me so I was able to go with it and act naturally.

This may have been different for others but it is not as difficult as you think it will be.

Oh, and yeah I am referring to role play but there was only one role play room. Not sure if Tucson does role play at all, I just wanted to alleviate some of your concerns about it if there is.

is it like role-play? what if you're not so good at acting and playing out role-play scenarios? if they have actors in there who might act angrily at us, or pretend to be a patient in distress or some similar scenario (totally just guessing, i have no info about the interviews), we would act differently than in real life, because we already know this is not real - our true emotions are not going get aroused. so how are you supposed to put up an act and be evaluated for medical school based on that? doesn't seem like a fair way to judge you based on how good an actor you are....

no need to take acting classes - it is a fairly natural interaction since they are trained and manage to keep a straight face. Like stef said, it feels pretty real (I did in fact get stressed from the scenario and was happy I had my break station afterward) and quite honestly i don't think there is much you can do to prepare for the role play, so in that regard its a pretty good evaluation in how you may act in certain situations.

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably a little late for this, but is the admissions office in the main medical school building that is connected to UMC (or I guess University of AZ Hospital as it is now known)? I wanted to scope it out after work today but I got out late and I think the building is closed to hospital visitors or students at this time of night, Thanks!

Actually is that even where the med school is? I thought I was familiar after taking classes there and working at UMC but I guess not.

Probably a little late for this, but is the admissions office in the main medical school building that is connected to UMC (or I guess University of AZ Hospital as it is now known)? I wanted to scope it out after work today but I got out late and I think the building is closed to hospital visitors or students at this time of night, Thanks!

Actually is that even where the med school is? I thought I was familiar after taking classes there and working at UMC but I guess not.

Admissions is on the main floor of the COM building which is attached to UMC. If you enter thru the circle and face the front doors, the COM is on your left. You can use the main entrance, go past the elevators, hang a left and walk straight down the hall to the COM. When in COM, hang a right and admissions will be on your left. They usually have a greeter I believe to make it more obvious.

Start over...
As for the MMI, I would not stress about role playing. On one hand, you just have to get used to it. You will need to learn to "play doctor" way before you have the ability to actually help anyone... So goes the adage "fake it til you make it". We do simulations, use standardized patients, each other, etc. I know it feels weird, but you would be surprised at how much you can learn if you embrace the process. For example, I was team leader on a practice code last week in a simulation. Feel a little awkward, sure. Did I know all the med dosages, nope. Would I have saved the guy... Really doubt it. I did learn a lot though. You would be surprised at how differently people look at you and expect from you once you wear that white coat, not that you actually know anything. I think that is the goal of any role playing assessment, so I would just try to remain calm and embrace it. Hope that rambling made a bit of sense.

Good luck to any interviewers tomorrow!

I am interviewing at the phoenix campus next month, and I was wondering if anyone had any success in sending an " in the area email" for tucson.
Would Tucson be receptive to this? Anyone try this?

MMI today ... well ... yeah. I'm not going to go into details on this one, but lets hope they fix the kinks before next round, which i think they will cause it got kinda ridiculous by the end (admissions agreed on this one, and they apologized during our tour).
I believe it was our fault at the start, but they politely didn't advertize that. I bet we're like herding cats:D

I believe it was our fault at the start, but they politely didn't advertize that. I bet we're like herding cats:D

I interviewed yesterday and it went very smoothly for us (except for occasional lack of "end of time" buzzer due to a faulty iPad). All in all, I thought the whole day was pretty awesome, and the numerous students we met were absolutely amazing.

stefspets, jimmer, limetime, thanks for the responses.

what about for the rest of the hour and a half?

stefspets, jimmer, limetime, thanks for the responses.

You are so welcome - I am glad to answer any questions any time or just give my experiences.

I interviewed yesterday and it went very smoothly for us (except for occasional lack of "end of time" buzzer due to a faulty iPad). All in all, I thought the whole day was pretty awesome, and the numerous students we met were absolutely amazing.

I am glad you had a great day. It is even a crazy week with both MS1s and MS2s having finals tomorrow. Glad we were not grumpy ;)

For those who have gotten an interview, does anyone remember the last date on the list of available interview dates? :confused: Thx.

Sounds like there is a self-guided tour and MMI, maybe lunch and that's it.

For those who have gotten an interview, does anyone remember the last date on the list of available interview dates? :confused: Thx.
If I remember correctly they had dates out until the end of December...hope this helps!

Sounds like there is a self-guided tour and MMI, maybe lunch and that's it.

Actually, the "self-guided tour" is when each interviewee gets an ipad to use to watch videos about the school, maps etc. But I did not have time to even watch one video because we spent the whole time in the new (and awesome) student lounge talking with current students as they came in and out. Even got a nice impromptu tour from one. Also, had a brief walking tour of AHSC, UMC, and the Children's Hospital (but honestly, we stuck mainly to the lobbies - understandably we never got into patient areas). We were there from 8:30-2pm and we had the day pretty much filled up.

Sounds cool. Casual, which I guess is good if you want to just chillax and take it easy. The iPod use is pretty cool.

I haven't interviewed at Tucson yet so I can't speak to them much. Without giving away the actual situation at Phoenix, the scenario is such where it actually does feel real. The actors that Phoenix used were pretty good. I am horrible at acting and hiding my true feelings about something, but while I was in that room it felt real to me so I was able to go with it and act naturally.

This may have been different for others but it is not as difficult as you think it will be.

Oh, and yeah I am referring to role play but there was only one role play room. Not sure if Tucson does role play at all, I just wanted to alleviate some of your concerns about it if there is.

So there is definitely a role playing station. Without giving away too many details, what was addressed in the other MMI stations (ethical questions, app related questions, etc)?

So has anybody been taken off the "on hold" list? I know a bunch of people got that email a while back and wondered if anyone heard any news.

So has anybody been taken off the "on hold" list? I know a bunch of people got that email a while back and wondered if anyone heard any news.
If they put you on hold, it will be a while before they re-review your app.

If they put you on hold, it will be a while before they re-review your app.

At the interview day they said they are releasing their initial acceptances in early December, then not again until another batch in March/April (at which time they will also do the waitlist). I would assume that due to this info, and the fact that the initial interview invites had slots through december, that re-evaluation from the "hold" list will not happen until after December. Just an educated guess, though

Outright rejection from UofA-Tucson today. IS, 3.6/35.

I have a 34 Mcat, 3.7 GPA, and good extracurriculars. I interviewed at Phoenix, but got rejected for an interview at Tucson. I think its wrong I can't get an interview at my own state school...

IS rejection pre-interview from UA-Tuscon as well, as it seems a lot of well qualified applicants received today.

I just got an interview from Duke... but can't get an one from my in-state institution. Lolz.

I have a 34 Mcat, 3.7 GPA, and good extracurriculars. I interviewed at Phoenix, but got rejected for an interview at Tucson. I think its wrong I can't get an interview at my own state school...

Wow. Im absolutely amazed that with stats like that (and the other couple of people also) that there was no interview invite. So much for all the talk about "auto-invite for in-state above 3.0 and 30". I wonder if their invite parameters give an auto-invite to ONE of the schools, but not both? For example, I have stats in that ballpark (3.45, 35), but I have not heard anything from UA-Phoenix.

Wow, I'm pretty surprised... My friend just told me he was taken off the hold list and he just got an interview invite. I didn't think anyone would come off of being on hold.

We're 37 hours away from October 15th ladies and gentlemen...

"Rejectified!" 32/3.87/Lots of research/clinical experience
Oh well...good luck to the rest of you!!!!! :)

...Looks like the force was not strong with me at UA Tucson...oh well...time to resume a full assault on the Death Star! :laugh:

Wow, I'm pretty surprised... My friend just told me he was taken off the hold list and he just got an interview invite. I didn't think anyone would come off of being on hold.

We're 37 hours away from October 15th ladies and gentlemen...

I believe the date this year is Oct 17th since the 15th is a Saturday. At least that's what a few schools had told me.

Hey got an interview after all. Will schedule after next week if I dont get into any of my already interviewed schools

"Rejectified!" 32/3.87/Lots of research/clinical experience
Oh well...good luck to the rest of you!!!!! :)

...Looks like the force was not strong with me at UA Tucson...oh well...time to resume a full assault on the Death Star! :laugh:

Wow, were you in-state?

Seriously, why are they rejecting in state students with high stats??

Those that are hearing back, mind saying when you guys were complete? I got the complete email on 9/9 but still no word

I believe the date this year is Oct 17th since the 15th is a Saturday. At least that's what a few schools had told me.

It just depends on the school and how they do things. One school I'm waiting to hear from has confirmed that they will send Saturday acceptances. One has also said that they will be sending them out at midnight "tomorrow" night, during the first few minutes of Oct 15th. A good friend of mine was accepted at 3 schools on Oct 15th when it was on a weekend, and they were all by phone calls. So ya, it's random. No idea what UA does, I wasn't even interviewed. But theoretically, anything could happen tomorrow night...

Sup moto_za! I am in state...

What's up bro! :) That is crazy that they rejected you. There loss, not yours.

I guess things have really changed at UA (going from interviewing almost everyone to rejecting people with high stats).

I also thought that UA had trouble getting people with high stats to apply / attend there school.

Anyone have any more insight?

Status
Not open for further replies.